Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 9/18/2014 11:33:13 PM EDT
I installed my trigger today then went over a buddies to use his vice and torque wrench to install my barrel and handguard. Everything went ok for my first time doing it but when I got home and pulled the charging handle back and pulled the trigger the bolt stayed back applying pressure to the buffer. I popped out the takedown pins but the bolt was still applying pressure to the buffer and it was a motherfucker to get apart. Anyone have any idea what's going on?
Link Posted: 9/18/2014 11:44:18 PM EDT
[#1]
Need a parts list and some pictures for starters.
Link Posted: 9/18/2014 11:49:32 PM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:
pulled the charging handle back and pulled the trigger the bolt stayed back applying pressure to the buffer.
View Quote

So, you pulled the charging handle back, and let it fly into battery, and then pulled the trigger, correct?

Just clarifying the events.

With the upper off, can you push the BCG into battery?

Post some pics
Link Posted: 9/19/2014 12:47:42 AM EDT
[#3]
Did you use a vice block to protect the upper? My guess is you twisted itnup.  Check for symmetry.
Link Posted: 9/19/2014 3:30:57 AM EDT
[#4]
Possibly the buffer retaining pin and spring came out and jammed it up if the buffer tube was not screwed on far enough. Just guessing without pics.
Link Posted: 9/19/2014 7:47:08 AM EDT
[#5]
I'll add some pictures soon but to clarify yes I pulled the charging handle back let it go and pulled the trigger
Link Posted: 9/19/2014 8:20:55 AM EDT
[#6]
Should I list all the parts?
Link Posted: 9/19/2014 9:29:26 AM EDT
[#7]
From reading your post a few times I have a question. Have you checked to make sure the gas tube is aligned correctly in the upper? Have you noticed any marks on the gas key? Just a thought.
Link Posted: 9/19/2014 9:35:32 AM EDT
[#8]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
From reading your post a few times I have a question. Have you checked to make sure the gas tube is aligned correctly in the upper? Have you noticed any marks on the gas key? Just a thought.
View Quote

How far back in the buffer tube did the BCG stay?  I also think you should look carefully at your gas key and gas tube.
Link Posted: 9/19/2014 1:13:00 PM EDT
[#9]
Yeah I used a DPMS claw
Link Posted: 9/19/2014 2:06:39 PM EDT
[#10]
If the BCG was stuck in the buffer tube, you may have a bent buffer tube.  Put a small straight edge on your buffer tube to verify.  Recently had this happen to me by banging my stock on the ground showing it off @ a gun show.
Link Posted: 9/19/2014 9:38:12 PM EDT
[#11]
there are also 2 sizes of buffer tube assemblies, maybe you got the wrong buffer in the wrong tube?
Link Posted: 9/19/2014 9:47:34 PM EDT
[#12]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
there are also 2 sizes of buffer tube assemblies, maybe you got the wrong buffer in the wrong tube?
View Quote

The buffers are the same size in milspec/commercial extensions.
Link Posted: 9/20/2014 3:15:29 PM EDT
[#13]
Ok, must only be external dimensions.
Link Posted: 9/20/2014 3:23:53 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
I installed my trigger today then went over a buddies to use his vice and torque wrench to install my barrel and handguard. Everything went ok for my first time doing it but when I got home and pulled the charging handle back and pulled the trigger the bolt stayed back applying pressure to the buffer. I popped out the takedown pins but the bolt was still applying pressure to the buffer and it was a motherfucker to get apart. Anyone have any idea what's going on?
View Quote

Did you push the bolt release button.
Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top