User Panel

Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 9/17/2014 1:35:05 PM EDT
</a>" />

</a>" />

</a>" />

I built this upper with left over parts from my 5.45 build. The old parts used were a spikes upper receiver, YHM free float handguard, bolt carrier. The new parts were a TR Enabling chrome lined 7.62x39 barrel 16" carbine GS $159.  Ebay, lopro steel gas block $9 shipped, gas tube $11 shipped and bird cage $13 shipped and a tactical ambush 7.62x39 bolt $39/ $6 shipping? Magazines were new c-products 30 rnd and 10 round both worked flawlessly. total price with magazines so far around $265.

The target was shot after initial sight in, this is a no bias 4 group target shot right in a row, I blew the last one. Each square is 1". The tulammp had 5 failures to fire out of 20 the old 20 year old barnual had no such issues. I have an extended firing pin coming  ($14 shipped).

The upper receiver has many thousands of rounds through it and shows almost no wear at all!
Link Posted: 9/17/2014 5:20:30 PM EDT
[#1]
$265*
Link Posted: 9/17/2014 11:14:54 PM EDT
[#2]
I received my enhanced firing pin and it totally fixed the fail to fire issue. I shot 7 more groups will post tomorrow. The rifle seems to be a solid 2" rifle even with crappy tulammo. I've had zero reliability issues, has run flawlessly so far. (minus the FTF's of course)
Link Posted: 9/18/2014 1:25:41 AM EDT
[#3]
Where did you get the enhanced firing pin from?
Link Posted: 9/18/2014 1:54:44 AM EDT
[#4]
What are your thoughts on Ambush tactical, I am thinking about putting an order in.
Link Posted: 9/18/2014 8:02:02 AM EDT
[#5]
I got the enhanced FP on ebay I think it was the only one for $14, I can look up the vendor when I get back to the office if you need. Tactical ambush sent the order very quickly which is good, the bolt seems well made with 2 rubber o-rings one for increased force on the extractor and another to space the extractor so it will fit over the rim more accurately. I'll have to take a pic of it disassembled. The one part I was disappointed by was the TR Enabling barrel, it had visible chatter on the lands which were pretty unacceptable, I figured it would still shoot ok and it was the only chrome lined barrel I could find under $200 so I stuck with it. The grooves look very uniform it appears that they didn't finish the bore properly prior to rifling it. It shoots OK so I guess I won't complain too much, my wife told me I should shoot it and if it was inaccurate send it back, I generally do what she says LOL. She didn't think the chatter was too bad but in my mind any visible chatter is unacceptable.

</a>" />

These 7 groups (five shot) were shot in a row at 90 yards with Tulammo.
Link Posted: 9/19/2014 7:38:13 AM EDT
[#6]
Since AK's are 600 dollar rifles now this is definately a cost effective way to get a 7.62x39 rifle.
Intriguing.
Link Posted: 9/19/2014 8:17:34 AM EDT
[#7]
RedX enhanced 7.62x39 firing pins are $10 delivered.  I use one in my bump gun.

Sounds like a fun build.  I know I really enjoy my 7.62x39 pistol build.  I've been thinking about getting a stamp so I can put a stock on it.

Link Posted: 9/19/2014 8:28:03 AM EDT
[#8]
Nice! Wish I had known I would have ordered a redx FP. I don't think the brand makes a big difference here.
Link Posted: 9/19/2014 8:32:52 AM EDT
[#9]

Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

Nice! Wish I had known I would have ordered a redx FP. I don't think the brand makes a big difference here.
View Quote
Yeah, they are a good deal IMO.  I would use one on my 7.62x39, but I got an MGI pin with the bolt.  The MGI pin is the same length as a standard firing pin but has an increased diameter (and will only work with MGI's bolt).  The RedX is .010 longer than a standard firing pin, but standard diameter.  Two different methods of accomplishing the same thing.

Link Posted: 9/19/2014 1:57:02 PM EDT
[#10]
I used a red-x BCG on my last 5.45 build, which never had FP issues, I'll bet it came with the enhanced FP, that one did need a heavy hammer spring though. I'm pleasantly surprised that this build went so smoothly. On the last 5.45 build I had to do quite a bit of tweeking to get her to run perfectly and I was anticipating that here but there were no modifications needed to the bolt, extractor and so far no heavy springs needed. I also have to give props to C products, there magazines whether 5.45 or 7.62 have run perfectly and the price is always around $10-15, great products!

" />

here's the bolt disassembled you can see the extra o-ring.
Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top