Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 9/15/2014 9:00:15 PM EDT
So I picked up a Gen 2 lower several months ago.  Then got a Noveske MUR upper to with it.  Notice that the "black" color on each are slightly off but I don't care because its kind close.

FINALLY got a NSR 15 from Stonefire Arms (thanks for the email notification Stonefire).

Guess what??  It is a different color of "black".  The NSR is completely different than the the upper and lower.  Sort of glossy.  Different texture almost.

Personally I think the 3 different colors look like shit together.  Disappointed.  It's black for heaven's sake.  How hard is it to get that right.

Guess its off to the Cerakote shop.  

Rant over.  Flame suit on.
Link Posted: 9/15/2014 9:40:04 PM EDT
[#1]
Hell, I've got a MagPul ACS-L Stock (with a little cargo area) and the flap/door is a different shade of plastic from the entire stock.
Even my BCM upper and KMR are different shades of black, the KMR has a funky texture to it too. I guess that's because its not typical anodizing.

Oh well...like you said Cerekote away!
Link Posted: 9/15/2014 9:42:11 PM EDT
[#2]
Few throws down the driveway and it will all look the same.

I have Cerakote sniper grey, Cerakote tactical grey, Magpul stealth grey and BCM Wolf grey on my current build. Then bare aluminum and 3 types of black on it too.. Yawn, yawn, it will shoot the same.
Link Posted: 9/15/2014 10:00:30 PM EDT
[#3]
Black is one of the toughest colors to match when painting autos.

Sorry to hear that but that is the nature of black.
Link Posted: 9/15/2014 10:11:46 PM EDT
[#4]
Krylon will stick to all of those parts.
Link Posted: 9/15/2014 10:13:59 PM EDT
[#5]
It's okay, they just went from black to slightly darker black.  

Link Posted: 9/15/2014 10:57:49 PM EDT
[#6]
Black is not black .
Link Posted: 9/15/2014 11:07:37 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
So I picked up a Gen 2 lower several months ago.  Then got a Noveske MUR upper to with it.  Notice that the "black" color on each are slightly off but I don't care because its kind close.

FINALLY got a NSR 15 from Stonefire Arms (thanks for the email notification Stonefire).

Guess what??  It is a different color of "black".  The NSR is completely different than the the upper and lower.  Sort of glossy.  Different texture almost.

Personally I think the 3 different colors look like shit together.  Disappointed.  It's black for heaven's sake.  How hard is it to get that right.

Guess its off to the Cerakote shop.  

Rant over.  Flame suit on.
View Quote

Noveske is not the only one that it will happen to. It is all aluminum anodizing, you can't get it perfect every time, from batch to batch. The MUR upper is made by VLTOR, and the rail is made by SWS, not sure if Noveske does the lowers themselves. So three different companies with I'm sure different anodizing processes. But theres not really a way to get them to match, its all luck.
Link Posted: 9/16/2014 4:05:48 PM EDT
[#8]
Don' get me wrong.  NSR is like most Noveske stuff, good kit.  But, the "new" NSR looks different than even the "old" NSR I have.

Was hoping to go straight to build instead of Cerakote which will add money and time.

I know it's petty and will shoot fine but for the premium that Noveske charges I expect a little more.

My OCD will not let me build a rifle that is mismatched color-wise that bad.
Link Posted: 9/16/2014 4:12:50 PM EDT
[#9]
Cerakote costs less than most lpk's do. Unless you're incapable of doing it yourself. Hint: lot easier than you think.
Link Posted: 9/16/2014 4:29:56 PM EDT
[#10]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Cerakote costs less than most lpk's do. Unless you're incapable of doing it yourself. Hint: lot easier than you think.
View Quote

Guilty.  

(btw love your sig line)
Link Posted: 9/16/2014 4:47:03 PM EDT
[#11]
Whereabouts in pa are you? Im just south of bodymore till we can escape to America.
Link Posted: 9/16/2014 10:19:39 PM EDT
[#12]
Pittsburgh area.
Link Posted: 9/17/2014 7:15:03 AM EDT
[#13]
I used to work for a company that made AR parts and sometimes even batch to came back slightly different shades. Black as a color sucks to get perfect unless you do everything at once, but even then the barrel may be off because it is steel not aluminium.
Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top