User Panel

Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 9/4/2014 7:08:18 AM EDT
Hello everyone. First time poster here.

So, I have the lower.  There's a start.
I'm looking at this lower receiver parts kit: LINK
Aside from the upper, am I missing anything?

Later today, I'm gonna do some looking around for the upper.  Might have some options to post to see what you guys' thought would be on them.
Link Posted: 9/4/2014 7:27:40 AM EDT
[#1]
Does your lower have a stock?

If you do get that lower parts kit, get the "Most Requested Parts" at least while you're at it; the "Field Repair" wouldn't be a bad addition, either.

Make sure you get a bolt with your upper.  BCM is still offering a free BCG with the purchase of an upper; free BCG and BCM comp with 16" uppers.
Link Posted: 9/4/2014 4:45:20 PM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:
Hello everyone. First time poster here.

So, I have the lower.  There's a start.
I'm looking at this lower receiver parts kit: LINK
Aside from the upper, am I missing anything?

Later today, I'm gonna do some looking around for the upper.  Might have some options to post to see what you guys' thought would be on them.
View Quote

Check out Red Barn Armory

They have a great customizable LPK.
Link Posted: 9/4/2014 4:45:48 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Does your lower have a stock?

If you do get that lower parts kit, get the "Most Requested Parts" at least while you're at it; the "Field Repair" wouldn't be a bad addition, either.

Make sure you get a bolt with your upper.  BCM is still offering a free BCG with the purchase of an upper; free BCG and BCM comp with 16" uppers.
View Quote

I second the BCM deal, they have some quality uppers for a good price
Link Posted: 9/5/2014 11:37:47 AM EDT
[#4]
I really like THIS ONE.

I might go for it.  What do you think?

:EDIT:
Same upper.  But THIS ONE seems to come with everything I need.  Plus a case and a 10rd mag.
... Yea... I have a stripped lower. If I get this one, I really don't need to get anything else, right?

Also.  I watched a couple videos on this upper.  All of which they were jamming, but the most recent one I watched, the guy jammed it after 12 rounds, then he upgraded the extractor spring and fired 500 rounds, and had no problems.  So It looks like I'll have to do that if I go ahead and get this upper.
Link Posted: 9/5/2014 8:22:43 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
I really like THIS ONE.

Same upper.  But THIS ONE seems to come with everything I need.  Plus a case and a 10rd mag.
... Yea... I have a stripped lower. If I get this one, I really don't need to get anything else, right?

Also.  I watched a couple videos on this upper.  All of which they were jamming, but the most recent one I watched, the guy jammed it after 12 rounds, then he upgraded the extractor spring and fired 500 rounds, and had no problems.  So It looks like I'll have to do that if I go ahead and get this upper.
View Quote

What price range are you going for, ill look around and see if i see an upper that youll like. Im not familiar with stainless steel so i dont know if thats a good barrel. Also ive never heard of SAA so i cant vouch for the quality of that upper, and with all those jams i wouldnt buy it if i were you. Also what do you want this gun for, accuracy, plinking, go to war quality that also plays into what you want.
Link Posted: 9/5/2014 8:33:24 PM EDT
[#6]
Here is some thing similar in price, also is mil spec so you know its reliable.

Upper:Upper
Bolt and Charging handle: Bolt w/CH

Thats $370 and all you need is a rear sight, and that moe handgaurd if you want it instead of the A2, easy to swap out.

If you add those two in its like 430, still cheaper than the upper.

And the upper i posted in this post has a 1:7 twist barrel so more accuracy than the 1:9.

Link Posted: 9/5/2014 9:14:35 PM EDT
[#7]
Thanks man. I do want to use flip sights though. Is that front sight detachable? I'm not really too ar savy yet. Been a kriss vector owner for a while. I'd have to get the lower parts kit separately and a grip with the pica tinny rail on top
Link Posted: 9/5/2014 11:33:29 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
Thanks man. I do want to use flip sights though. Is that front sight detachable? I'm not really too ar savy yet. Been a kriss vector owner for a while. I'd have to get the lower parts kit separately and a grip with the pica tinny rail on top
View Quote

have you considered free floating the rail, instead of a stndard hand gaurd
Link Posted: 9/5/2014 11:38:35 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
View Quote

and no its not detachable per say, its removeable but not like just unlatch it kinda thing, gotta punch some pins. It doubles as a gas block also
Link Posted: 9/5/2014 11:47:31 PM EDT
[#10]
You could go with this:

upper

and bolt w/ch

Then you can get those flip ups. Just add a complete lower/ build a lower and your set.
Link Posted: 9/6/2014 12:43:39 AM EDT
[#11]
Id buy this if i was you, and that bolt that i sent in the previous ones. Then just upgrade the handgaurd

PSA Upper with Aim point
Link Posted: 9/6/2014 3:01:28 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
You could go with this:

upper

and bolt w/ch

Then you can get those flip ups. Just add a complete lower/ build a lower and your set.
View Quote

I do like this one. I'd still change the grip. It's long for my liking. But other than that, everything else about this one seems like what I'm going for.
Link Posted: 9/6/2014 7:29:37 AM EDT
[#13]
Whatever you choose, I wouldn't suggest a railed gas block like the first couple of uppers you listed. You have to buy a certain type of sight, and it makes your handguard/rail choices limited, unless you change the block.
Link Posted: 9/6/2014 12:02:27 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
Whatever you choose, I wouldn't suggest a railed gas block like the first couple of uppers you listed. You have to buy a certain type of sight, and it makes your handguard/rail choices limited, unless you change the block.
View Quote

Ya then you are restricted to only fullt metal sights, and if you eventually wan to free float youd have to get a low profile block
Link Posted: 9/6/2014 2:15:29 PM EDT
[#15]
Yea.  Maybe I'll just deal with the fixed front sight for now, and get your first suggestion.  Then down the road, remove it, change the gas block and add a magpul moe handguard. That might end up being what I'm gonna do then.

Been searching for an image close to what I'm trying to build.  Found one.

That's just about spot on to what I'm trying to do. Probably gonna put an angled grip on though.
Link Posted: 9/6/2014 4:30:43 PM EDT
[#16]
Ok, sooo....

Buttstock assembly              $49.98
Small parts kit                       $68.95
Upper                                    $269.99
Bolt carrier/charging handle    $99.99

Magpul handguard                $34.95
Gas block                             $15.70

TOTAL excluding shipping: $539.56

I just need to find flip up sights that I like.  Any suggestions?  anything at a good price that performs well?

One other question.  How do I know if the picatinny rail on the low profile gas block is the correct height?
Link Posted: 9/7/2014 2:02:08 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
Ok, sooo....

Buttstock assembly              $49.98
Small parts kit                       $68.95
Upper                                    $269.99
Bolt carrier/charging handle    $99.99

Magpul handguard                $34.95
Gas block                             $15.70

TOTAL excluding shipping: $539.56

I just need to find flip up sights that I like.  Any suggestions?  anything at a good price that performs well?

One other question.  How do I know if the picatinny rail on the low profile gas block is the correct height?
View Quote

The only thing is i'd becareful buying stuff off ebay, real easy to buy "airsoft" quality parts that wont be good quality. Also for the BUIS your going to have to go with something like troy or mbus pros because you cant put polymer sights on a railed gas block or they will melt. The sights in that pic look like troy flip ups. So you dont want the free float system then? The railed gas block should say in the descrition on the same plane, or somthing that implies that it is level with the upper reciever.

UPPER HEIGHT GB

Like this notice it says uupper height.
Also have you thought of something like this, it would be cheaper than a railed GB and a flip up BUIS.
Gas block flip up sight

But i would jump on that PSA stuff ASAP because they have a weird stocking system and that bolt and CH combo is a daily deal that has been up for a little now, dont know how much longer its gonna last.

Also Windham Weaponry (The LPK you selected) is a good company from what i hear.
Link Posted: 9/7/2014 4:48:38 PM EDT
[#18]
I like this one that you suggested because I want to have a matching set of flip ups. Sucks that they're out of stock.  Anywhere else sell this one?

Also, good point about the upper.  I just put my order in for both the upper and the bcg and the charging handle. I also just ordered the small parts kit.

All that's left if the moe grip, low pro gas block, flip up sights, buttstock assembly, and an angled foregrip.

The free floats are really expensive, and I wanna keep this weapon simple.  So I really don't wanna have a quad rail or anything like that on it because I'm not going to use it.  Maybe down the road if I end up changing my mind about that.

Debating on if I wanna take my EOtech off of my Vector and put it on this.  I guess it'll be a decision I'll have to make after the ar is finished.
Link Posted: 9/7/2014 6:52:23 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
I like this one that you suggested because I want to have a matching set of flip ups. Sucks that they're out of stock.  Anywhere else sell this one?

Also, good point about the upper.  I just put my order in for both the upper and the bcg and the charging handle. I also just ordered the small parts kit.

All that's left if the moe grip, low pro gas block, flip up sights, buttstock assembly, and an angled foregrip.

The free floats are really expensive, and I wanna keep this weapon simple.  So I really don't wanna have a quad rail or anything like that on it because I'm not going to use it.  Maybe down the road if I end up changing my mind about that.

Debating on if I wanna take my EOtech off of my Vector and put it on this.  I guess it'll be a decision I'll have to make after the ar is finished.
View Quote

Here is a rail gas block: Railed gas block

As for the free float, yes its more money, but i wouldnt say that it is not simple. Less moving parts with a free float, and it doesnt have to be a quad rail, it could be a keymod rail or an MLOK rail, both of which are light weight and highly customizable. Check out, red barn armory they have pretty good deals on the stuff that you have left.
Link Posted: 9/8/2014 2:53:36 AM EDT
[#20]
Bought it. Lol. That's perfect. Going with these sights. Diamond head sights
Link Posted: 9/8/2014 3:05:29 AM EDT
[#21]
I just skimmed the thread quickly but I didn't see anything about you having the tools to change out the gas block. You need a punch set and hammer, AR armorers wrench, vise, upper vise block set, and I feel like I'm forgetting something.  Oh yeah a replacement crash washer for the flash hider.
Link Posted: 9/8/2014 9:09:29 AM EDT
[#22]
get the roll pin punch and save yourself the headache and profanity.
Link Posted: 9/8/2014 9:09:43 AM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
I really like THIS ONE.

View Quote

I've built a couple of AR's with BHW barrels and SAA uppers.  The uppers are well machined and mate well with SAA or Anderson Manufacturing lowers.  The barrels are good and solid also.  SS lasts longer but isn't quite as accurate of chrome lined.  I'd take the durability and shoot slightly larger groups unless you are building this rifle to do bull'eye shoots.  The parts for this would cost $466.  It looks like a good deal if you don't want to build your own and are happy with the all the parts they're using.
Link Posted: 9/8/2014 9:13:52 AM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
Bought it. Lol. That's perfect. Going with these sights. Diamond head sights
View Quote

At that price I'd wait for the Strikefire Vortex to go on sale and get a flip up magnifier. and maybe a pair of these just incase something happens to the optics.

http://www.amazon.com/Front-Degree-Offset-Transition-Backup/dp/B00D9BELCK/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&qid=1410181951&sr=8-3&keywords=offset+iron+sights
Link Posted: 9/8/2014 11:40:28 AM EDT
[#25]

Quoted:

I've built a couple of AR's with BHW barrels and SAA uppers.  The uppers are well machined and mate well with SAA or Anderson Manufacturing lowers.  The barrels are good and solid also.  SS lasts longer but isn't quite as accurate of chrome lined.  I'd take the durability and shoot slightly larger groups unless you are building this rifle to do bull'eye shoots.  The parts for this would cost $466.  It looks like a good deal if you don't want to build your own and are happy with the all the parts they're using.
View Quote
Actually chrome lined will usually last longer, and SS barrels are generally more accurate...

Link Posted: 9/8/2014 1:39:39 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
At that price I'd wait for the Strikefire Vortex to go on sale and get a flip up magnifier. and maybe a pair of these just incase something happens to the optics.

http://www.amazon.com/Front-Degree-Offset-Transition-Backup/dp/B00D9BELCK/ref=sr_1_3ie=UTF8&qid=1410181951&sr=8-3&keywords=offset+iron+sights
View Quote

I actually have a set of those. I have a flip up magnifier too, but the moving part on it is shot.
Link Posted: 9/8/2014 8:40:00 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
Actually chrome lined will usually last longer, and SS barrels are generally more accurate...  
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Ya thats what i thought too.
Link Posted: 9/9/2014 4:03:32 PM EDT
[#28]
whealp... Seems all the parts are ordered now.  Like stated before, I may run into problems where I need special tools.  If I run into that, I'll order the tools I need.
Link Posted: 9/9/2014 4:18:11 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
whealp... Seems all the parts are ordered now.  Like stated before, I may run into problems where I need special tools.  If I run into that, I'll order the tools I need.
View Quote

Can you post in one post everything you got?
Link Posted: 9/9/2014 7:25:54 PM EDT
[#30]
Sure thing. I'll have to do it tomorrow though. I'm on my phone now at work. Working 18:00-6:15. Loooonnggg shifts... but it pays for the ar. Lol
Link Posted: 9/11/2014 5:03:47 PM EDT
[#31]
Ok, here we are.

Bolt carrier and charging handle (Link doesn't work anymore. Must be out... lucky me)
Lower parts kit
Gas block
Upper
Moe handguard (Carbine)
Side rails -I did order this from ebay, and I only needed one for the grip, but I could keep the rest laying around in case I decide to use them for something else. I made sure they were polymer and not plastic before I ordered them.
Buttstock with buffer tube and spring Can't remember the site I got this from, but I got a good deal on it.
Angled foregrip   -Can't remember where I got this one from either.
Diamondhead sights Ouch, that was pricey.

I think that's everything I ordered.
Link Posted: 9/15/2014 4:17:44 PM EDT
[#32]
I got my upper in, and a couple other parts.  Still no small parts kit yet though.  Trying to get this a2 sight off.  Got two outa three pins out.  It's being a bi***. I guess maybe I should have gotten brass punches.

Got it! After breaking the tip off a punch off in my finger. lol

The new gas block is on.  I don't really know how I'm supposed to know if the hole's lining up though.
Link Posted: 9/15/2014 11:46:01 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
I got my upper in, and a couple other parts.  Still no small parts kit yet though.  Trying to get this a2 sight off.  Got two outa three pins out.  It's being a bi***. I guess maybe I should have gotten brass punches.

Got it! After breaking the tip off a punch off in my finger. lol

The new gas block is on.  I don't really know how I'm supposed to know if the hole's lining up though.
View Quote

They make a little tool for that but if you get the tube look down it and you should see that its straight down the barrel
Link Posted: 9/17/2014 1:25:44 PM EDT
[#34]
I mean, I don't know if it's lining up with the hole on the barrel.  Unless it was the same distance from where the pin goes to the hole on the bottom.... oh wait... I guess it has to be actually, right?
Link Posted: 9/17/2014 3:30:41 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:
I mean, I don't know if it's lining up with the hole on the barrel.  Unless it was the same distance from where the pin goes to the hole on the bottom.... oh wait... I guess it has to be actually, right?
View Quote

Ya i know what you are saying. Tool This is the tool i was talking about. The hole should line up along the length of the barrel no problem the side to side, essentially the movement of the block around the barrel is where the alignment needs to be made sure of. So if you look down the barrel towards the upper you can eye it up and make sure the gas tube is in line with the side of barrel... make sense?
Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top