Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 8/30/2014 3:39:18 PM EDT
Already assembled most of my lower, used a cmmg lpk on an fmk extreme stripped lower. Everything fit perfectly and operates smoothly.

I do realize the poly lower wont last as long, but this is a budget build, besides, I will replace it at a future date.
D&h aluminum 30rd magazine is on it's way, psa adjustable stock and ptac upper soon to follow.
Also have a armorer's crescent wrench and a pair of mbus coming.
Chambered in 5.56.
Link Posted: 8/30/2014 4:24:15 PM EDT
[#1]

I approved your images, so they can be viewed by all.

your poly lower will last a long time.

Welcome to gun ownership.

Link Posted: 8/30/2014 5:05:27 PM EDT
[#2]
congrats on your new / first build, and welcome to the community.
Link Posted: 8/30/2014 5:19:30 PM EDT
[#3]
Thanks guys.
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I approved your images, so they can be viewed by all.

your poly lower will last a long time.

Welcome to gun ownership.

View Quote

Thank you.
The fmk is a decent part? Good to know, the reviews I read looked good on it...
Not a fan of the a2 front sight on the upper i'm getting, combined with the mbus rear though, picked them up for cheap. Been trying to research what my options are.
Link Posted: 8/30/2014 8:43:11 PM EDT
[#4]

Sure its a decent part. It has a lifetime warrantee. Nothing wrong with most polymer lowers.... Glocks are polymer, so are many handguns. Ever see any of those frames break?  I never have.

Looks like you are doing just fine with what you are trying to accomplish... A nice KISS rifle that will work for you and that's what this sport is all about.

Link Posted: 8/30/2014 9:29:32 PM EDT
[#5]
Sweet, I just hear some people really bash using poly lowers, and was trying to head that off I guess... In my book, they're lightweight. And even if it does break, cheap enough to easily replace!
n00b question: whats a KISS rifle?
Link Posted: 8/30/2014 9:34:44 PM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:

Sweet, I just hear some people really bash using poly lowers, and was trying to head that off I guess... In my book, they're lightweight. And even if it does break, cheap enough to easily replace!

View Quote
KISS = Keep it simple stupid...  

Link Posted: 8/30/2014 9:40:56 PM EDT
[#7]
Hahaha, makes sense. Thanks guys for the support, this stuff is all really exciting. I can't wait to get it cleaned up, lubed, put together and go load and sight in!
Link Posted: 8/30/2014 9:48:29 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
View Quote

ETA- ninja'd
Link Posted: 8/30/2014 10:02:40 PM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:

View Quote

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/KISS_principle My personal motto is based on this principle.

I have 2 KISS rifles for Highpower matches and 2 KISS Carbines with red dots and a Billet 80% that I need to finish and start another project.  

Link Posted: 8/30/2014 10:22:38 PM EDT
[#10]
Ah, good stuff
Link Posted: 8/30/2014 10:33:45 PM EDT
[#11]
Thanks guys. Another spec, the barrel is 1in7 twist, currently researching ammo loads to use, 60-62 is a good load from what i'm reading? My walmart has decent prices and variety, 55gr is cheapest at 5.47 a box. Can't remember the other prices... Oh well, i'll pick it out when I go sight in.
Link Posted: 8/30/2014 11:00:38 PM EDT
[#12]
Do you want the cheapest or the "best"?  1/7 should be able to stabilize the 75-77gr bullets (SMK's, hornady HPBT's etc) which would be the most accurate - and also the most expensive.  The 62gr surplus will  probably be your best mix of accuracy and price,  with the various 55s being cheapest as you said.
Link Posted: 8/30/2014 11:15:09 PM EDT
[#13]
This is the ammo you want for home defense.

For plinking, the 55 grain FMJ cheap stuff is what most people shoot.

The ammo Frequently Asked Questions (FAQ) section of this forum is outstanding. Probably one of the best technical forums on the net.
Link Posted: 8/30/2014 11:19:00 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
This is the ammo you want for home defense.

For plinking, the 55 grain FMJ cheap stuff is what most people shoot.

The ammo Frequently Asked Questions (FAQ) section of this forum is outstanding. Probably one of the best technical forums on the net.
View Quote

Ok, that sounds like a plan. Thanks for the input!
Link Posted: 8/31/2014 7:56:47 AM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:

Thanks guys. Another spec, the barrel is 1in7 twist, currently researching ammo loads to use, 60-62 is a good load from what i'm reading? My walmart has decent prices and variety, 55gr is cheapest at 5.47 a box. Can't remember the other prices... Oh well, i'll pick it out when I go sight in.
View Quote

1/7 is fine for your needs.

I bet you intend on shooting at ranges under 200 yards. If so, 55 gr is just fine.  Now if you want to get into precision shooting, now that's a different story and a different rifle build.  Would 62 be better?  maybe, it just depends on what you want. you will learn  that as you shoot more.

BTW a word on sighting in... pick the ammo you are planning on using to shoot with to sight in.  if you keep changing ammo types and bullet weights, the POI (point of impact) will vary.

Do you know how to sight in a AR? You didn't mention what sights you are getting...

Link Posted: 8/31/2014 1:21:52 PM EDT
[#16]
True, 100yrd or less, primarily getting this thing for defense. I had planned on using 55gr to sight and play with, I guess I could still use it for holding down the fort. My upper assembly has a standard A2 sight, was going to use an mbus as my rear, while I figure out how to replace the A2 block/sight so that I can use the whole mbus set.
I don't know how to sight in, but that's my next step. Kinda learning these things as I go. I've never used an ar
Link Posted: 8/31/2014 8:41:54 PM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:

True, 100yrd or less, primarily getting this thing for defense. I had planned on using 55gr to sight and play with, I guess I could still use it for holding down the fort. My upper assembly has a standard A2 sight, was going to use an mbus as my rear, while I figure out how to replace the A2 block/sight so that I can use the whole mbus set.

I don't know how to sight in, but that's my next step. Kinda learning these things as I go. I've never used an ar
View Quote

If you are using it for 100 yards or less or HD, then IMHO you have 2 choices.

Keep the A2 front and Get a Carry Handle... sell the MBUS.

Or get a Primary Arms micro red dot and riser that will cowitness with your A2 front and use the rear Mbus for its intended purpose, as a back-up.

You do realize that MBUS is a Back-up sight system... its not intended for accuracy. Its intended to be able to hit a target the size of a torso incase a primary optic goes down in a firefight.

Link Posted: 8/31/2014 8:53:49 PM EDT
[#18]
OP, I know you are trying to save money, but EOTech and Aimpoint are worth the money in my opinion. I've tried going cheaper on Chinese stuff, and regretted it every time. I've never tried primary arms optics though. They have a good rep, and I've always got good stuff and good service from their store...Still a Chinese optic isn't on my list of things to do ever again.

You will also need a flashlight if its an HD setup. I'd recommend streamlight. Not as good as surefire, but 1/3 the cost, and still good enough. I've had a Streamlight TLR for 8 years now. I've had it on my HD guns, and it did two deployments on my M4 overseas.

You can change the front sight/gas block, but in my opinion that is something I'd save my money on, and maybe do later. Personally, I'd get an Aimpoint PRO, or EOTech, mags, ammo, and flashlight first. Then upgrade to an aluminum lower, with a Geisselle 2 stage. It's a common mistake to focus on aesthetics, rails, furniture at first. I did. After you shoot and hunt more, you learn to appreciate the results  a good optic, ammo and trigger bring.
Link Posted: 9/1/2014 3:30:18 AM EDT
[#19]
Overscope and rooster, yes, thank you, I should have clarified my intent, I do realize they are a backup. My end goal for sights is to have a red dot, and both mbus sights. I just haven't picked one out yet... Eotechs are way out of my budget range.
Link Posted: 9/1/2014 7:56:04 AM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:

Overscope and rooster, yes, thank you, I should have clarified my intent, I do realize they are a backup. My end goal for sights is to have a red dot, and both mbus sights. I just haven't picked one out yet... Eotechs are way out of my budget range.
View Quote

go with a rear carry handle then. They are about $70 usually. if you find one for like $20, its intended for airsoft, or its junk.   keep the MBUS for later or another rifle. You don't need to remove your A2 front sight to use a red dot.

I know I don't do things as tier 1 as most of these guys do.... remember im a KISS kina guy.... but I have 4 rifles, and a pistol build all with a different purpose, and none of them have back up sights. 1 has a red dot, with no other sights, not even and A2. 1 has a A2 front with a red dot, 2 have carry handles and A2 fronts, they are competition rifles.  Last I checked, I'm not in battle with these and if my red dot goes down, ohh well.

As for home defense, you don't need back ups for that either.... nobody aims their rifle in their bathroom while  confronting a bad guy, and I hope you don't mean by self defense, shooting from your rooftop.

link to carry handle

Link Posted: 9/1/2014 11:58:40 AM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
View Quote

I'd recommend getting a carrying handle and waiting on the red dot until you can afford an EOTech or Aimpoint. They might be cheaper than you think if you buy them used on the EE, or on sale. It would suck for the batteries to be dead, or the site not work when you need it.
Link Posted: 9/1/2014 12:06:33 PM EDT
[#22]
Welcome. Looks good. while I'm not a great fan of polymer lowers, my understanding is that the good ones will last with no problems. I may go the route of getting an 80% one to do myself in the future just because I can.

You'll find a lot of help here for sure. I know I did as I was building my first one.

Make sure you post us a picture when you finish it too. We all like to see newly finished AR's
Link Posted: 9/5/2014 9:01:20 PM EDT
[#23]
Here is most of the rest of my rifle. The mag loads and releases smoothly.
" />
Here is the stock, getting the stock on the buffer was interesting.
" />
Getting the takedown pin into the upper receiver and lined up was a bit of  a pain but, Here it is!
" />
Link Posted: 9/5/2014 10:41:04 PM EDT
[#24]

Quoted:

Here is most of the rest of my rifle. The mag loads and releases smoothly.

http://<a href=http://i961.photobucket.com/albums/ae100/8vTRH/CAM00284_zps69c4e97a.jpg</a>" />

Here is the stock, getting the stock on the buffer was interesting.

http://<a href=http://i961.photobucket.com/albums/ae100/8vTRH/CAM00285_zps854680cf.jpg</a>" />

Getting the takedown pin into the upper receiver and lined up was a bit of  a pain but, Here it is!

http://<a href=http://i961.photobucket.com/albums/ae100/8vTRH/CAM00287_zpsff7e4855.jpg</a>" />
View Quote

looks awesome.

what was the issue getting the stock on the tube?  you just pull down on the lever and it slides on.

Link Posted: 9/5/2014 10:46:10 PM EDT
[#25]
Thanks!
Just a tighter fit than I was expecting, I guess didn't depress it far enough the first time I tried.
Not bad for sub 500
Link Posted: 9/5/2014 11:09:16 PM EDT
[#26]

Quoted:

Thanks!

Just a tighter fit than I was expecting, I guess didn't depress it far enough the first time I tried.

Not bad for sub 500
View Quote
you are welcome.  you should give advice to this guy, he's pretty hard headed. http://www.ar15.com/forums/t_3_118/655500_first_time_buyer.html&page=2&anc=6595626#i6595626

Link Posted: 9/5/2014 11:31:07 PM EDT
[#27]
Ha, hope that helps him, I know for a bit I was confused and hard headed about some stuff, probably still am but, my mind is much more open to what can be done with these things.
Link Posted: 9/14/2014 12:21:30 AM EDT
[#28]
Took it out on Thursday, shoots pretty sweet at 20-30 yards (all my friend has available on their property, but hey it's free), hit 4/4 (just bottles) targets with as many rounds. Fired 30-35 rounds of 55gr tula .223, no failures at all, sighted with my mbus and a2 front tower. I'm pleased with it .
Link Posted: 9/14/2014 7:40:28 AM EDT
[#29]
Nice KISS first build.

I started with a poly lower & moved on from there.

On your build you mentioned that the pins were difficult to get in. Normal, but were they tight due to slight misalignment of the lower? If so make sure the BCG moves freely through the buffer tube. There should be no hanging of the carrier when hand cycling.

Welcome to AR ownership!
Link Posted: 9/16/2014 1:08:32 AM EDT
[#30]
Thanks! I think there was a slight mis-alignment, although the bcg seems to cycle just fine. Also, just wondering if there is there an easier way to put in the first loaded mag? I had to fiddle w it a little bit, I had to hold the bolt open, insert mag, then close bolt. Is that pretty normal?
Next, I want to get a red dot, couple more mags (I want to try a poly mag), and maybe a light/las combo.
Link Posted: 9/16/2014 1:13:29 PM EDT
[#31]
Assuming the magazine is fully loaded it will be very difficult to send home in the mag well. Try locking the bolt to the rear before you seat the magazine and then use the bolt release or pull back on the charging handle and release it quickly like you would a slingshot and that should do ya. Just make sure not to ride the charging handle or you will cause it to hang up and not chamber all the way.

But dont forget! You still need a sling!
Link Posted: 9/16/2014 3:27:00 PM EDT
[#32]
That seemed to do the trick, yes fully loaded mags. Oh yeah almost forgot  about one of those, I do have the sling points after all .
Link Posted: 9/21/2014 1:20:40 AM EDT
[#33]
Ran another mag through it this week, no problems. Still recovering on my budget for extras, built the rifle in shorter time frame than originally planned
Link Posted: 9/21/2014 9:29:03 AM EDT
[#34]
I was in Trops Yesterday, and saw they have 500 rounds of AE223 for 157 with free shipping.  that's a great price for brass cased ammo.  http://shop.tropgun.com/servlet/-strse-1792/AMERICAN%2CEAGLE%2CAMMO%2C223REM%2CFMJ-dsh-BT%2CAE223BL%2CAE223BL/Detail
Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top