Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 8/29/2014 7:47:45 AM EDT
I am looking to purchase a higher end upper with some precision features.

I watched some of his videos and like what he has to say, and was wondering where I could purchase his services.

Google=no joy
Link Posted: 8/29/2014 12:30:30 PM EDT
[#1]
Not a clue...never heard of him...nothing with Google.  I think that says something.  Look at http://www.laruetactical.com/larue-tactical-stealth-sniper-system-lt011
Link Posted: 8/29/2014 12:41:10 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Not a clue...never heard of him...nothing with Google.  I think that says something.  Look at http://www.laruetactical.com/larue-tactical-stealth-sniper-system-lt011
View Quote

never heard of him either.

in todays ar15 world it is pretty easy to find off the shelf sub moa
assemblies. in todays market you would be surprised what $1,000
bucks would buy or build for ya
Link Posted: 8/29/2014 1:29:48 PM EDT
[#3]
He's got a ton of videos, and other than long fingernails, I like what he has to say.

Other than that?  He is a bit invisible...
Link Posted: 8/29/2014 1:38:27 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:

I watched some of his videos and like what he has to say, and was wondering where I could purchase his services.

Google=no joy
View Quote

Or you could just buy from any high end manufacturer and have the same thing if not better. A good gunsmith is a good gunsmith,and there are tens of thousands of them out there.
Link Posted: 8/29/2014 7:01:31 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

Google=no joy
View Quote

Why? Buy the parts you want and put one together. You'll save yourself several bucks over one that's put together and it can be ultra accurate.
Link Posted: 8/29/2014 9:11:01 PM EDT
[#6]
i know this isn't as tier1 as my name implies but this is what i would do.
right now the ar15 market  is at the bottom, prices are the lowest we
have seen them in a while.

1.) buy a lower such as anderson they are from 39 - 50 bucks right now.
2.) buy an upper such as anderson 40 bucks right now @aimsurplus
3.) buy milspec parts such as gas tube, lower parts kit, upper parts kit
4.) buy stock, pistol grip, rail, ect. of your choosing
5.) spend the real money on high quality bcg, fire control group, and match grade barrel, good optics.

#5 is what really matters when buying or building high quality. as long as the rest of the
parts are atleast milspec and in spec all they do is support parts list #5. some higher end manufactures
have nicer finish, better looking lines / profile.

Link Posted: 8/29/2014 9:58:41 PM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:

i know this isn't as tier1 as my name implies but this is what i would do.

right now the ar15 market  is at the bottom, prices are the lowest we

have seen them in a while.

1.) buy a lower such as anderson they are from 39 - 50 bucks right now.

2.) buy an upper such as anderson 40 bucks right now @aimsurplus

3.) buy milspec parts such as gas tube, lower parts kit, upper parts kit

4.) buy stock, pistol grip, rail, ect. of your choosing

5.) spend the real money on high quality bcg, fire control group, and match grade barrel, good optics.

#5 is what really matters when buying or building high quality. as long as the rest of the

parts are atleast milspec and in spec all they do is support parts list #5. some higher end manufactures

have nicer finish, better looking lines / profile.

View Quote
You've pretty much got it...  

Link Posted: 8/30/2014 5:50:16 AM EDT
[#8]
He mentioned things that interest me, specifically gain twist barrels, and proper hand fitted barrels to the upper receiver, etc.

I am looking to "create" an extremely accurate rifle that is very lightweight using parts that he has tested, knows, and puts together solidly.

I am sure others use some of the same stuff on request, but was looking for him, not an alternative.

Thank you though-

TT
Link Posted: 8/30/2014 12:51:25 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
He mentioned things that interest me, specifically gain twist barrels, and proper hand fitted barrels to the upper receiver, etc.

I am looking to "create" an extremely accurate rifle that is very lightweight using parts that he has tested, knows, and puts together solidly.

I am sure others use some of the same stuff on request, but was looking for him, not an alternative.

Thank you though-

TT
View Quote

first off if you are hand fitting parts on an ar15 it would be because they are out of spec.
i have no idea what a gain twist barrel is, there ar different twist rates 1:14 (original) m16, 1:12 m16a1,
1:7 m16a2 to current military spec. then you have 1:9 most lower end commercial barrels use this twist,
then you have 1:8 some barrel manufactures use this twist for their version of the military special purpose
rifle.

what you just said are things a shyster would say, anyone who tells me about special hand fitting barrels
on a ar15 and i walk away. maybe he means he trues up the face of the receiver. when you start adding
"gain twist hand fitted barrels" i am out.

goodluck in your quest to find him, and hopefully you will be happy.
Link Posted: 8/30/2014 1:36:23 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

Thank you though-

TT
View Quote

Spoken like a super noob. Dont fall for the sugar coated bullshit in this industry. Im telling you thats what it is, but im sure youll just think im full of shit anyways.
Link Posted: 8/30/2014 1:49:11 PM EDT
[#11]
Why not post up some links to his stuff?

Give him some exposure if he is that good.

Might help!!!

Unless of course he is someone who does not want the exposure? ( I know one gunsmith who is like that - but he has more business than he can handle. )

ETA: A quick search and I found some video of him espousing the benefits of " gain-twist barrels ", knowing what that is and seeing some tests of radical barrel ideas it'd be interesting to watch one firing full auto.

I recall one test where the barrel had right hand twist the first 45% ... no rifling 10% ... left hand twist the last 45%.

WOW ..... talk about a velocity increase .... also a hell of sudden increase in chamber pressure.

Seemed to work ok one shot at a time ... but when they went to FA the weapon self destructed.

Was fun to watch ....... from a distance.
Link Posted: 8/30/2014 1:53:03 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

Spoken like a super noob. Dont fall for the sugar coated bullshit in this industry. Im telling you thats what it is, but im sure youll just think im full of shit anyways.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Thank you though-

TT

LOL

I think this guy your looking for was a used car salesman in a former life.

Rainier sells match grade barrels that GUARANTEE SUB MOA at 100 yards and they were just on sale.

Don't drink the kool-aid and keep reading around here...trust me...an ephiany will hit you and you'll end up with one heck of a rifle.
Link Posted: 8/30/2014 1:58:27 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

LOL

Rainier sells match grade barrels that GUARANTEE SUB MOA at 100 yards and they were just on sale.

Don't drink the kool-aid and keep reading around here...trust me...an ephiany will hit you and you'll end up with one heck of a rifle.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Thank you though-

TT

LOL

Keep reading around here and one could go broke trying to obtain one heck of a rifle and never get there.  
Link Posted: 8/30/2014 2:41:48 PM EDT
[#14]
i found him his name is JOE Carlos, he also sells books on amazon with

http://www.amazon.com/Joe-Carlos/e/B00JABVXKQ

edit to add - i just watched some of his videos. he seems legit.

link to video
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uOw_j0K_p-Q&index=5&list=UUEDrqXDPSbQokSykVdPJT-Q

edit again - i deleted alot of my original post.

some prices he mentions

dedicated 22 upper for $1200
globe sights for $1000
barrel $300 with free install
Link Posted: 8/30/2014 9:05:38 PM EDT
[#15]
Thank you Tier1bro, that is him.  Can't find his videos either on you tube-found it in another thread, but now see your.

Actually, I think he knows what he is talking about, and being an armorer, it makes sense to me.  I will listen to all sides, but ultimately understand that a lot of factors effect  total accuracy.

I will find him and discuss.  I am looking for better than 1 MOA if possible in a light rifle and I want all I can in my favor.

Thank you all for your opinions.
Link Posted: 8/31/2014 12:56:55 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
Thank you Tier1bro, that is him.  Can't find his videos either on you tube-found it in another thread, but now see your.

Actually, I think he knows what he is talking about, and being an armorer, it makes sense to me.  I will listen to all sides, but ultimately understand that a lot of factors effect  total accuracy.

I will find him and discuss.  I am looking for better than 1 MOA if possible in a light rifle and I want all I can in my favor.

Thank you all for your opinions.
View Quote

Let us know how it goes and if you had to go bankrupt to do it!
Link Posted: 8/31/2014 2:23:01 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

first off if you are hand fitting parts on an ar15 it would be because they are out of spec.
i have no idea what a gain twist barrel is, there ar different twist rates 1:14 (original) m16, 1:12 m16a1,
1:7 m16a2 to current military spec. then you have 1:9 most lower end commercial barrels use this twist,
then you have 1:8 some barrel manufactures use this twist for their version of the military special purpose
rifle.

what you just said are things a shyster would say, anyone who tells me about special hand fitting barrels
on a ar15 and i walk away. maybe he means he trues up the face of the receiver. when you start adding

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Thank you though-

TT

rifle.

Gain-twist rifling

Gain-twist rifling begins with very little change in the projectile's angular momentum during the first few inches (half-dozen centimetres) of bullet travel after ignition during the transition from chamber to throat. This enables the bullet to remain essentially undisturbed and trued to the case mouth. After engaging the rifling the bullet is progressively subjected to accelerated angular momentum as burning powder propels it down the barrel. By only gradually increasing the spin rate, torque is spread along a much longer section of barrel, rather than only at the throat where rifling is eroded through repeated rifling engagement.

Gain twist rifling was used as early as the American Civil War (1861-65). Colt Army and Navy revolvers both employed gain twist rifling. Gain twist rifling, however, is more difficult to produce than uniform rifling, and therefore is more expensive. It is seldom used in commercially available products.

IIRC,  the Diemarco used Gain Twist for awhile.
Link Posted: 8/31/2014 3:08:48 PM EDT
[#18]
If you cannot locate this person, and are looking for an AR15 / M16 / M4 machinist and gunsmith that is well respected in the precision world for these firearms. I would have work done by Frank White of Compass Lake Engineering.
Link Posted: 8/31/2014 3:10:41 PM EDT
[#19]
yeah i read up on gain twist rifling.

honestly, when i read the op i had got the "bullshit vibe". after i found
the guy in question, and watched his videos i now get what he is saying.
and do not think he is just some gunshow shyster anymore.

if someone is looking for a 1,000 yard ar15, this may be the route to go,
if you want a 200 yard / self defense ar15 than this is not it.

just didn't want a fellow arfcommer to get hosed.

Link Posted: 8/31/2014 3:21:18 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

View Quote

Uhhhh.... 5.56 NATO + 1,000 yards = aint goin down. Lol 5.56 loses so much ass by that distance you would have to be a trained sniper to make good hits
Link Posted: 8/31/2014 3:46:47 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted: Uhhhh.... 5.56 NATO + 1,000 yards = aint goin down.
View Quote

You sure about that?

1,000 yards and the M16A2
Link Posted: 8/31/2014 3:55:12 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

Uhhhh.... 5.56 NATO + 1,000 yards = aint goin down. Lol 5.56 loses so much ass by that distance you would have to be a trained sniper to make good hits
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

the videos stated still more than 200 ft lbs of energy. we are also talking about paper shooters
and not a hunting rifle.

edit to add - 90 grain projectile @ 1200 fps (i believe thats what he stated)
Link Posted: 8/31/2014 5:44:06 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

You sure about that?

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted: Uhhhh.... 5.56 NATO + 1,000 yards = aint goin down.

You sure about that?

That is impressive. Especially for M855. I dont see the average person being able to hit at that distance in a combat situation though, especially not first round hits. It would be hard to simulate the stress at target practice thats for sure. Either way that test is still extremely impressive though
Link Posted: 8/31/2014 8:42:41 PM EDT
[#24]
Thank you again for the responses, and concerns on getting potentially "hosed."

I am looking to explore a hyper-accurate 5.56 rifle of extremely light weight.  I know there is already a thread on this subject, but Carlos said some things that might help me in my quest.
Link Posted: 8/31/2014 9:06:37 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

I am looking to explore a hyper-accurate 5.56 rifle of extremely light weight.  I know there is already a thread on this subject, but Carlos said some things that might help me in my quest.
View Quote

what is going to be the primary use of this weapon?

bench rest shooting
plinking (shooting cans in the back yard)
home defense
hunting
zombie apocalypse

the anwser to this could help us help you.
Link Posted: 9/1/2014 8:35:03 AM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

bench rest shooting
home defense
hunting
zombie apocalypse
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

bench rest shooting
home defense
hunting
zombie apocalypse

All of the above.  I want to explore the extreme accuracy capabilities of a 5 lb (no optics) with a free floated 16 inch rifle.
I have experience on projects like this before, but not in an 5.56 AR platform, and want to see where it goes.

With premium optics added to the rifle, I want 5 shot groups with boxed match .223/5.56 ammo to hand me .5 MOA at 100 yards, and 10 shot groups under 1 MOA.

Yes, it is a very high standard, and I may have to be happy with 5 shot 3/4 MOA;
Carlos seemed like a decent place to start for me.  

And before someone screams "NEVER" or "Impossible" please know I have faced odds like this in other projects, and more often than not, achieved my goals.
And even when I have not always met "my" standards, the bottom line is I almost always ended up with an impressive piece of kit.
Link Posted: 9/1/2014 7:36:32 PM EDT
[#27]
sounds like a cool project.
Link Posted: 9/1/2014 9:40:28 PM EDT
[#28]
Joe Carlos builds CMP and NRA Match rifles. He was the armorer for the USAR Shooting Team and has a return to battery machine rest to test rifles. Why you would ask here is beyond me since some of the responses you have received are beyond wrong with a lot of know nothing BS. Try over on the Highpower forum or go to Camp Perry. Joe owned the Inter-service 1000 yard service rifle record for many years if I remember correctly. He is the real deal.

B

Link Posted: 9/2/2014 6:54:51 AM EDT
[#29]
LOL thanks BPM It never occurred to me.
Link Posted: 9/2/2014 7:31:01 AM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
Joe Carlos builds CMP and NRA Match rifles. He was the armorer for the USAR Shooting Team and has a return to battery machine rest to test rifles. Why you would ask here is beyond me since some of the responses you have received are beyond wrong with a lot of know nothing BS. Try over on the Highpower forum or go to Camp Perry. Joe owned the Inter-service 1000 yard service rifle record for many years if I remember correctly. He is the real deal.

B

View Quote

i think alot of the "beyond wrong with a lot of know nothing BS" came from several factors. first the name was wrong, no one could find info on "john" carlos.
(seems pretty suspicious in today's world when you can not find a business online).

second most of us are skeptical when we hear of a "nobody" is selling hand fitted ar15 barrels on youtube. once I established through research who we were really
looking for, i came back and said JOE carlos seemed legit. never before that post was CMP or MATCH rifle implied. ("nobody" refers to "john carlos", joe carlos
seems legit in his trade).

just so op is aware "these" match rifles are not a do all rifle. "these" rifles are for slow shooting, distance shooting rifles. if you are looking for a do everything rifle,
this isn't it. real match rifles like this are not light weight, they will weigh closer to 10 pounds rather than the 5 pounds you were looking for. i would still contact
him and see what he can do. i am sure he can build you an accurate lightweight rifle.

Link Posted: 9/2/2014 10:36:11 AM EDT
[#31]
Accuracy is a combination of a lot of variables.  The OP is wanting a 5lb rifle that shoots 1000 yds.  Good luck!  I'm not saying it can't be done, but I would just buy a Surgeon bolt .308 and save the $$ you are going to spend to make a battle rifle into something it isn't.  (Surgeon Rifles).

Have fun with your project.  Post up the pictures and let us know what Joe "John" "Juan" Carlos has to say.
Link Posted: 9/3/2014 7:50:35 AM EDT
[#32]
Sorry about the name.  I caught on a glimpse of him from another thread, and did not save the link, and went off of memory.

I am well aware that their are a lot of factors that go into a truly accurate gun, which is why I am looking to cover as many factors as I can to eliminate certain variables before we get down to the shooter being one.
I am not looking for a 1,000 yard 5.56, but if I get their (one day far from today) that would be neat.

I will keep you posted.
Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top