Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 8/29/2014 2:35:59 AM EDT
Hello everyone, I think this is the correct sub forum to start my build thread, if not mods feel free to move or delete the thread. Anyways I have been doing research for a few months and finally got around to ordering all of the parts, the first parts arrive Tuesday . I will update the thread as parts arrive and as I assemble them. Here is the outline of my 6.8 SPR(ish) build that I plan to use for hog and deer hunting.

UPPER:
PSA blem upper receiver
PSA dust cover and forward assist
PSA full auto 6.8 BCG
YHM low profile gas block
Franklin armory 13" hand guard
BCM gunfighter charging handle
PSA A2 .30 cal flash hider
Wilson combat 18" match grade barrel
mid length gas tube

LOWER:
PSA blem lower reciever (absolutely no blemishes that i could find)
PSA lower parts kit with a Geissel SSA trigger
magpul ACS-L stock and PSA milspec buffer tube

I still haven't decided on optics, academy has a leupold for 249 if i remember correctly that peaked my interests.

As far as the head space between the PSA BCG and Wilson Combat barrel do I need to check head space after the rifle is assembled, I have read conflicting information on the interwebs, and if so what is the best way to accomplish this?

Also if I am forgetting something or have parts that will not work together feel free to correct me.
Link Posted: 8/29/2014 6:00:02 AM EDT
[#1]
Looks like you did your homework on the parts. If you insist on checking headspace you could toss a set of GO/NO GO headspace gauges in' but with new parts that are in spec I wouldn't worry about it..
Link Posted: 8/29/2014 12:23:19 PM EDT
[#2]
Alright awesome thanks for the response. Now if I decide to test fire it before checking head space will the rifle function flawlessly and then fail all at once, not function at all? I am also wondering if there a way to tell if there is improper head space via inspection of empty brass or paying attention to the rifle as it cycles or anything along those lines? I think I am probably making this out to be a bigger issue than it needs to be but I would prefer to keep part failure at a minimum while dealing with expensive parts around my face haha.
Link Posted: 8/29/2014 10:19:44 PM EDT
[#3]
With a Wilson Combat barrel, I wouldn't worry too much about headspacing. With Wilson's name on it, your chamber should be reamed and headspaced correctly. If you want to check it though, get a set of Go/No-Go gauges and be done with it.
Link Posted: 9/3/2014 6:00:41 PM EDT
[#4]
Okay guys well here are the parts that I have thus far. I don't have 50 posts yet so they will only show up as clickable links.

I was unaware that the charging handle has 5.56 marked on top so I may save it for my next build which is already in the works . Also as you may have noticed the rear site is OD green, I don't have any plans for a green gun so i'm not sure what i'm going to do with it haha, I think I was drunk at the time of ordering . I still have two more orders with the rest of the parts that I don't believe have shipped as of today.
Link Posted: 9/3/2014 7:47:58 PM EDT
[#5]
Your pics have been "approved", and it appears to be a good start...  
Link Posted: 9/3/2014 9:23:31 PM EDT
[#6]
Thank you, I just received an email saying the hand guard will be here Monday . Building AR-15s makes all year Christmas, I feel like a little kid opening the boxes containing rifle parts. It even makes you just as poor as the Christmas season except all year!!!
Link Posted: 9/4/2014 7:35:24 AM EDT
[#7]
looks like BRD has fully kicked in, first build not complete and already talking about a second build

nice job on the research and parts. I cant want to see this rifle done.
Link Posted: 9/4/2014 1:29:14 PM EDT
[#8]
You get mixed opinions on checking head space because everyone is different. I agree that if you buy quality that everything should be in spec. It is my opinion that checking head space is a good thing and should be done no matter whose parts you use. It takes only a few minutes and the gauges are not TOO expensive (they aren't cheap either). The point of checking is to guarantee that there was not some sort of error in maintaining specs in the bolt, barrel or both. Why risk injury or worse to just skip over something. As most here will agree, build one and your sucked in for life. Get the tools and do the job correctly.

Again just MY opinion, Form your own and good luck!!
Link Posted: 9/4/2014 4:42:39 PM EDT
[#9]
Just run over to your local gun smith and ask them to headspace it, it takes seconds and it give peace of mind. Then you dont have to spend 100 on gauges
Link Posted: 9/4/2014 9:12:56 PM EDT
[#10]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Just run over to your local gun smith and ask them to headspace it, it takes seconds and it give peace of mind. Then you dont have to spend 100 on gauges
View Quote

But if you spend $100 on the gauges you'll have all the more reason to buy more parts and build more AR's, because after all, you did spend good money for the gauges.  
Link Posted: 9/4/2014 9:24:43 PM EDT
[#11]
This is how the actual headspace measurement is determined for a 5.56mm/.223 REM chamber. Subtracting the bolt measurement in the red box, 0.156", from the barrel measurement in the red box, 1.6206", equals 1.4646" This is the minimum headspace listed in the milspecs for a new barrel that has been high pressure tested (HPT).

Link Posted: 9/4/2014 11:40:27 PM EDT
[#12]
Thanks for all the replies guys, is there a place online that sells go no go gauges that can be used with out removing anything from the bolt face? The only ones I have found will require removing the extractor which I don't think would be too difficult but I have read to expect flying parts.
Link Posted: 9/5/2014 1:00:53 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
Thanks for all the replies guys, is there a place online that sells go no go gauges that can be used with out removing anything from the bolt face? The only ones I have found will require removing the extractor which I don't think would be too difficult but I have read to expect flying parts.
View Quote

Ive heard that the ones that dont require disAssembly are not to be trusted. but i believe brownells sells them.
Link Posted: 9/9/2014 1:01:28 PM EDT
[#14]

Just received the franklin armory hand guard, I have no idea what kind of wrench I need to attach that barrel nut haha but other than that I am happy with it. The rest of the parts should arrive Thursday, should be two packages from PSA
Link Posted: 9/9/2014 1:33:28 PM EDT
[#15]
Looks like you are well on your way! What build tools do you already have? You wil need some basic specialty tools. Barrel Wrench, Roll Pin punches, small allens, etc. The tools are NOT expensive. You can get high quality with great value for the money!

If you need any help with specific tools let me know. I purchased only what I needed. I did not buy a Kit of toolls. I got only what you NEED.

Well done on your parts. Your rifle is gonna be Bad A$$

Tony

PS Taking apart your BCG is really easy. I take my extractors apart all the time to clean. I have never had a part grow wings and fly away.
Link Posted: 9/10/2014 1:27:02 PM EDT
[#16]

The first pic is the packages I received today, the only part I am still missing is the forward assist. The second is obviously everything laid out together. Now I need to order some brass punches, Roll pin punches, a gun smithing hammer, a upper receiver vice block and I believe that will be everything I need. I should start putting the lower receiver together starting next week.
Link Posted: 9/10/2014 1:34:10 PM EDT
[#17]
Don't worry about the charging handle being marked 5.56 - it's the same charging and bolt carrier for the 6.8 anyway. Only the bolt, barrel (& muzzle device threads) and magazine are different for the two calibers.
Link Posted: 9/10/2014 11:15:42 PM EDT
[#18]
Well guys I got bored and the result is BOOM!!!!  

Sorry about the crappy iphone pics, I am still missing the forward assist and the BCG. I was able to complete the lower without any punches or a gun smithing hammer. I just used electrical tape on a regular hammer and a set of channel locks and used the "squeeze pin" method wherever applicable. I noticed that my flash hider didn't come with a crush washer, so it is loosely covering the threads from damage until one can be purchased. So go ahead and tell me what you think. Now optics shopping
Link Posted: 9/10/2014 11:16:45 PM EDT
[#19]
And no p-mag doesn't make 6.8 spc magazines, just using it for pics.
Link Posted: 9/10/2014 11:29:23 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

http://i26.photobucket.com/albums/c108/RedRaider529/photo4_zpsc70d0279.jpg

http://i26.photobucket.com/albums/c108/RedRaider529/photo31_zps36804cf2.jpg

http://i26.photobucket.com/albums/c108/RedRaider529/photo12_zpsab7c04e9.jpg

Sorry about the crappy iphone pics, I am still missing the forward assist and the BCG. I was able to complete the lower without any punches or a gun smithing hammer. I just used electrical tape on a regular hammer and a set of channel locks and used the "squeeze pin" method wherever applicable. I noticed that my flash hider didn't come with a crush washer, so it is loosely covering the threads from damage until one can be purchased. So go ahead and tell me what you think. Now optics shopping
View Quote

Hate the grip but the rest is sexy.
Link Posted: 9/10/2014 11:37:50 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Haha thanks, the grip will eventually get replaced, I just need to figure out which one I like most first
Link Posted: 9/10/2014 11:49:25 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

Haha thanks, the grip will eventually get replaced, I just need to figure out which one I like most first
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I personally have the moe+(the rubber moe grip) and i like it. However i like the BCM mod3 i think because of the extention under the trigger gaurd, protects the tangs for the trigger gaurd from digging into your finger if you have a high and tight grip.
Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top