Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 8/28/2014 4:43:15 PM EDT
So, I finished my first build, an SPR inspired rifle, about 2 years ago. I love how it looks and shoot, but she's a heavy beast. 12.5 pounds empty. Being new to building my own rifle, I didn't pay enough attention to things like weight of individual components, and it added up quickly. I'd like to trim some weight from the rifle, get it down to about 9.5-10.5 pounds.
This is the current parts list:
Tactical Machining stripped lower
PSA LPK
Timney trigger
MAGPUL PRS stock
MAGPUL MOE Grip
YHM upper
DMPS MK 12 Barrel
BCM Gunfighter Mod 4 Charging handle
BCM bolt and carrier
Troy 13" Alpha rail
Harris bipod w/ YHM adapter

I'm probably gonna replace the hand guard( the Troy alpha rail is 21oz.!) and probably gonna replace the scope with a Vortex Viper PST 2.5-10x32 in a lighter mount. I want to keep the barrel and stock. Anyone have any suggestions for replacement items to bring the weight down? Specifically looking for recommendations for rails and scope mounts, but any input is welcome and appreciated.  EDIT: I'm quite aware of what is making it heavy. What I am asking for is specific recommendations on replacement components, not a generic "swap the stock" or "change the barrel".

Link Posted: 8/28/2014 4:52:58 PM EDT
[#1]
Apex handguards are light, as long as you don't care about having a top rail. You can buy a short rail section for your bipod. I managed to get a leftover Troy rail to fit on mine.

For the scope mount, I think Aero's are the lightest out there.
Link Posted: 8/28/2014 4:58:39 PM EDT
[#2]
BCM KMR rail is really light weight. If I replace my PRI handguard, I'll probably go with the 15" KMR.  The biggest difference could be found in barrels, though.  My 18"  MK 12 barrel is a beast, but very accurate.

Bigger returns in weight reduction will be the barrel, handguard, and optics.  You'll have to balance cost, weight and performance to fit your needs.
Link Posted: 8/28/2014 5:21:38 PM EDT
[#3]
Barrel, handguard, stock, and optics are the 4 biggest things that will fatten a rifle...the bipod adds a chunk as well.   Choose carefully there, and assess if everything you have on it is needed for the rifle to do it's intended purpose.
Link Posted: 8/28/2014 5:35:16 PM EDT
[#4]
Get an A2 stock, get a smaller scope, loose the bipod and get a cuff or loop sling. Other than that, lift some weights? 12.5 lbs doesn't seem bad for everything you have on there. The M240G weighs about 26 pounds, imagine humping that around.
Link Posted: 8/28/2014 5:41:54 PM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Get an A2 stock, get a smaller scope, loose the bipod and get a cuff or loop sling. Other than that, lift some weights? 12.5 lbs doesn't seem bad for everything you have on there. The M240G weighs about 26 pounds, imagine humping that around.
View Quote

I have no problem with a heavy rifle, I just think that an AR in .223 should be lighter. If this was a .308 AR, I'd have no issue with 12.5 pounds. I've had to hump around a Mk 43  before, while not as heavy as a M240, I'm aware of how heavy a belt fed can be. Just because I can handle the weight doesn't mean I have to when the weight is unnecessary. I'm not in the military anymore, I have more options.
Link Posted: 8/28/2014 6:00:10 PM EDT
[#6]
The 556 Tactical KEY MOD Evolution Series in 15" weighs 10.2 ounces, the the 12.37" weighs just 9.2 ounces.

https://556tactical.com/product/556-tactical-keymod-evolution-rail-series-15/

https://556tactical.com/product/556-tactical-keymod-evolution-rail-series-12-37/
Link Posted: 8/28/2014 6:13:42 PM EDT
[#7]
Thanks for the input so far. Some of these rail systems look fairly promising.
Link Posted: 8/28/2014 6:23:50 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

I have no problem with a heavy rifle, I just think that an AR in .223 should be lighter. If this was a .308 AR, I'd have no issue with 12.5 pounds. I've had to hump around a Mk 43  before, while not as heavy as a M240, I'm aware of how heavy a belt fed can be. Just because I can handle the weight doesn't mean I have to when the weight is unnecessary. I'm not in the military anymore, I have more options.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Features come with a price and that is weight. That bipod is probably a pound with the adapter, the PRS stock weighs a couple more ounces than an A2 stock, and the illuminated scope has to weigh over a pound. You wont notice a difference by shaving an ounce or two with a rail.
Link Posted: 8/28/2014 6:23:50 PM EDT
[#9]
Ditch the PEPR in favor of Nikon P-223 rings.
Link Posted: 8/28/2014 6:24:09 PM EDT
[#10]
Where are you getting 21oz for the Troy Alpha?  It's more like 13oz I believe.  Your barrel, optic, bipod, and stock are what are making it so heavy.
Link Posted: 8/28/2014 6:29:24 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
Where are you getting 21oz for the Troy Alpha?  It's more like 13oz I believe.  Your barrel, optic, bipod, and stock are what are making it so heavy.
View Quote

That was the weight listed on Primary Arms website. I guess I should have looked around a little more, or gone directly to Troy's website. I was already looking on PA for something else when I looked at that.
Link Posted: 8/28/2014 6:43:21 PM EDT
[#12]
Yup, I see it on their site.  Definitely not correct

Quoted:

That was the weight listed on Primary Arms website. I guess I should have looked around a little more, or gone directly to Troy's website. I was already looking on PA for something else when I looked at that.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Link Posted: 8/28/2014 7:01:25 PM EDT
[#13]
This is what I'm going with on my next build. 15" is 9.3oz

Link Posted: 8/29/2014 8:39:07 AM EDT
[#14]
Leave it just the way it is.  Build another rifle.  You have that one built that way for a reason.
Link Posted: 8/29/2014 9:56:24 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
Leave it just the way it is.  Build another rifle.  You have that one built that way for a reason.
View Quote

yes leave it as is and build another rifle or at least another upper you want to remove 2-3 lbs and you know most of its the barrel already.
Link Posted: 8/29/2014 10:04:14 AM EDT
[#16]
Troy hand guards are damn heavy and that stock is one of the heaviest.

Get a Midwest industries or AP custom tube and one of many lighter stocks.
Link Posted: 8/29/2014 10:21:32 AM EDT
[#17]
I agree.  No way you're going to shave 2-3lbs by just going with a slightly smaller scope and changing the handguard.  You might get it down a pound or so, but you'll spend a few hundred bucks to do it.  It looks like a pretty nice precision rig as-is.  Spend the money on a new LW build.  Prices are pretty low on rifles and uppers right now.  Just my .02.

Quoted:
View Quote

Link Posted: 8/29/2014 10:33:46 AM EDT
[#18]
If you want a full quad rail try the Seekins SAR rail.  The 13" rail is 12.5oz including barrel nut.

I would swap to a SOPMOD or VLTOR stock.

It's going to be hard to drop much more weight without moving to a different barrel profile.

You could start a ground up build using all the lightweight parts (magnesium upper and lower, titanium carrier, V7 small parts etc) and that would leave room for the heavier barrel.

Link Posted: 8/29/2014 11:09:23 AM EDT
[#19]
Save some weight by removing all the extra rails on the forearm, and mounting the bipod directly to the forearm.

Here is how to do it:

Buy this forearm, save ounces.
http://slrrifleworks.com/index.php?route=product/product&path=66_100&product_id=371

Buy this and mount bipod directly to the forearm
http://www.shopnoveske.com/collections/parts/products/trx-sling-stud-bi-pod-mount

Then, change to this scope mount.
http://aeroprecisionusa.com/scope-mounts/ultralight-30mm-scope-mount-extended.html

Lastly, go on a shopping spree here and get all the light weight titanium and aluminum bits.
http://www.v7weaponsystems.com/

After all that, you will have a lighter rifle.  To go even lighter requires a stock change, that PRS is 19ounces all by itself.
Link Posted: 8/29/2014 11:32:42 AM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
I agree.  No way you're going to shave 2-3lbs by just going with a slightly smaller scope and changing the handguard.  You might get it down a pound or so, but you'll spend a few hundred bucks to do it.  It looks like a pretty nice precision rig as-is.  Spend the money on a new LW build.  Prices are pretty low on rifles and uppers right now.  Just my .02.

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

I may do this in the end. If this was my only rifle I'd really want to cut down the weight, but as I have several, this was more an idea I was toying with than something I was dead set had to be done. As I said in the OP, the rifle shoots really well, so leaving it as is would probably be the best answer anyhow.
Link Posted: 8/29/2014 11:57:38 AM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
View Quote

Agreed. 1 AR is never enough. Keep your precision rig as is and build a lightweight rifle. Check out the 2A Balios Lite receivers. I believe there are some nice RDS equipped rifles under 6 lbs using these receivers. They look good too.
Link Posted: 8/29/2014 8:04:52 PM EDT
[#22]
Look into a lighter weight efficiant rail system, bipod, and try a using an ARFX skeletin stock on it, that will reduce weight, enough to where at least you notice it without compramising accuracy.
Link Posted: 8/29/2014 8:20:41 PM EDT
[#23]
I held a 4lb AR today so I know where you’re coming from  … but your rifle is beautiful
How about building a new one?

I wouldn’t change a thing because to me that’s not the style gun you pack around anyways.
In fact im building one very much like it … just got the same (heavy as hell) PRS stock today
Link Posted: 8/29/2014 8:39:04 PM EDT
[#24]
Strike Industries Keymod.
Link Posted: 8/29/2014 8:43:03 PM EDT
[#25]
I really like the lightweight scope mounts from Aero Precision
I like the regular GI buttstock
For a front heavy SPR, I like carbon fiber tubes: Clark carbon fiber, Lancer, PRI, ...

Duke st has put together a good list of lightweight parts here: http://www.ar15.com/forums/t_3_118/638524_Lightweight_Parts_List_with_WEIGHTS__AR_15_.html

I agree with others here, keep the SPR, and build a lightweight. Still, it's easy to lose some weight on the SPR without sacrificing capability by ditching the heavy stock, scope mount, and rail.
Link Posted: 8/30/2014 12:27:40 PM EDT
[#26]
Cav arms lower
Lightweight scope mount or rings
Carbon free float tube, MI or BCM rail
Barrel reprofiling
Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top