Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 8/28/2014 1:01:03 PM EDT
I have a Radical Firearms receiver extension that sticks out 6.750"  out of the receiver. I would like it to be 6.600" to get my OAL down to under 26"

Does anyone have knowledge of whether it's feasible to do this.
I would just grind the amount off on my 8" grinder and grind in the buffer retainer spot. I figure that would be better than messing with the melonited barrel
Link Posted: 8/28/2014 1:09:16 PM EDT
[#1]
You're going to lose that 0.150" of stroke, which may keep you from locking back on an empty mag reliably.
Other than that, if you have enough threads, I don't see why it wouldn't do what you want it to.

ETA: IS THIS IT?
Link Posted: 8/28/2014 1:13:18 PM EDT
[#2]
Yes it is.
Before I wack and hack,I'll insert  3 quarters at the bottom before the spring goes in and test  the cycling
Link Posted: 8/28/2014 1:22:51 PM EDT
[#3]
I can just make the retainer slot deeper without taking any material off the end. That way my mod would be reversible
Link Posted: 8/28/2014 1:25:29 PM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I can just make the retainer slot deeper without taking any material off the end. That way my mod would be reversible
View Quote

The threads protruding through the lower will be 1 3/16" in diameter, while the ID of the upper is only 1", so you'll have to do something to add clearance for the top 3/4 of the tube.
Link Posted: 8/28/2014 1:40:36 PM EDT
[#5]
Would it be possible to consider a different pistol buffer tube?  I think that the Phase 5 "standard" buffer is shorter than the one you currently have.  I'd have to dig mine out and measure to be sure.
Link Posted: 8/28/2014 2:13:11 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

The threads protruding through the lower will be 1 3/16" in diameter, while the ID of the upper is only 1", so you'll have to do something to add clearance for the top 3/4 of the tube.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Good catch there. I just checked and I have about 0.200" before the extension would protrude out of the lower
Link Posted: 8/28/2014 2:27:28 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:  I have a Radical Firearms receiver extension that sticks out 6.750"  out of the receiver. I would like it to be 6.600" to get my OAL down to under 26"

I would just grind the amount off on my 8" grinder and grind in the buffer retainer spot. I figure that would be better than messing with the melonited barrel
View Quote

Is there a legal advantage under your state law to getting your OAL under 26"?
Link Posted: 8/28/2014 2:35:05 PM EDT
[#8]
Some archaic law about pistols needing to be under the magic number of 26"

Hey OP, your not measuring/counting your muzzle device?  Then again it's MI law they may include a non-perm attached muzzle device.
Link Posted: 8/28/2014 3:51:37 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

Good catch there. I just checked and I have about 0.200" before the extension would protrude out of the lower
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

?  Are you not threaded in all the way already or something?
Link Posted: 8/28/2014 4:35:54 PM EDT
[#10]
Link Posted: 8/28/2014 4:49:34 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Not threaded in all the way.
Michigan has no state law on measuring OAL so it's up to local yocal interpretation. The firearm needs to be under 26" to be a pistol and thus be able to carry under my Concealed Pistol license.Even the lawyers on our instate gun forum (MGO) have been changing their minds on it.
I know the Feds don't count a non-pinned muzzle device, but some dept by me may since there is no MCL that I can find.
Link Posted: 8/28/2014 4:51:02 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

This. Why do you want the gun under 26" OAL? Unless your state law requires it, there's no reason you should have to keep it below 26".
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

This. Why do you want the gun under 26" OAL? Unless your state law requires it, there's no reason you should have to keep it below 26".

Makes the difference between pistol and firearm.
I believe MI allows for a loaded pistol in the vehicle, but not a loaded "firearm"
Link Posted: 8/28/2014 4:59:32 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:  Not threaded in all the way.
Michigan has no state law on measuring OAL so it's up to local yocal interpretation. The firearm needs to be under 26" to be a pistol and thus be able to carry under my Concealed Pistol license.Even the lawyers on our instate gun forum (MGO) have been changing their minds on it.
I know the Feds don't count a non-pinned muzzle device, but some dept by me may since there is no MCL that I can find.
View Quote

Thanks for the explanation - what a pain.  Sounds like Dremel is your friend.  Could you just unscrew your muzzle device & put on a thread protector?
Link Posted: 8/28/2014 5:26:43 PM EDT
[#14]
Yup I could a Thread Protector custom for $15 or order one for $15 plus shipping,I have a Brownells Shorty Muzzle Brake on now but it's load and proud.
To put the Simple Threaded Device on would only require me to take off 0.070" off the STD or Receiver extension

I have a dremel and lots of burrs, also a Dotco Pencil Grinder,files. Most everything a good Toolmaker would need, Unless I already sold it.
Link Posted: 8/31/2014 9:29:39 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
Would it be possible to consider a different pistol buffer tube?  I think that the Phase 5 "standard" buffer is shorter than the one you currently have.  I'd have to dig mine out and measure to be sure.
View Quote

Did you happen to measure it yet?
I already sold off my RF 10.5 melonite barrel and now have a complete RF upper attached to the receiver
Link Posted: 9/1/2014 10:40:07 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
View Quote

Thanks for measuring,I now have a Phase5 from EE on a trade coming,whenever the US Mail starts up again.
Link Posted: 9/1/2014 11:05:22 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

Thanks for measuring,I now have a Phase5 from EE on a trade coming,whenever the US Mail starts up again.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Glad to be of help.  I hope that it works out for you.  I've been pretty happy with my set up thus far.
Link Posted: 9/1/2014 11:29:33 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

I believe MI allows for a loaded pistol in the vehicle, but not a loaded "firearm"
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

No - it only becomes a firearm IF the OAL is greater than 26'' and a vertical grip is added. Federal law still has it as a pistol at 26+'' and no vert grip.
Link Posted: 9/1/2014 11:46:26 AM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

No - it only becomes a firearm IF the OAL is greater than 26'' and a vertical grip is added. Federal law still has it as a pistol at 26+'' and no vert grip.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I was talking about MI law,  not fed.  Has to be under 26"to be loaded in your vehicle.
Link Posted: 9/1/2014 12:38:52 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Michigan does not follow federal law. They even allow stuff that gets you banned here.
Link Posted: 9/1/2014 12:48:30 PM EDT
[#21]
Why not just get an LWRC UCIW Stock, and mod the buffer tube to prevent a stock from being readily attached?  (paracord wrap or whatever).
Link Posted: 9/1/2014 12:50:54 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:  Why not just get an LWRC UCIW Stock, and mod the buffer tube to prevent a stock from being readily attached?  (paracord wrap or whatever).
View Quote

You don't have to mod the buffer tube.  Any buffer tube is legal on a Federal pistol AR.
Link Posted: 9/1/2014 6:19:41 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

You don't have to mod the buffer tube.  Any buffer tube is legal on a Federal pistol AR.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:  Why not just get an LWRC UCIW Stock, and mod the buffer tube to prevent a stock from being readily attached?  (paracord wrap or whatever).

Thank you for your insight. BUT your answer means not a effing thing to the OP
Link Posted: 9/1/2014 6:20:43 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
Why not just get an LWRC UCIW Stock, and mod the buffer tube to prevent a stock from being readily attached?  (paracord wrap or whatever).
View Quote

Thanky You for your insight,but it has not a effing thing to do with the OP

Your Avatar is something I could use for your post

Lighten up a bit or take your attitude and questions to General Discussion - Eric802
Link Posted: 9/1/2014 6:35:06 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

Your Avatar is something I could use for your post.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Well, seemed like an obvious drop-in solution to your issue.

Sorry I've intruded into your thread.  Best of luck with modifying your buffer, buffer tube, spring, etc.
Link Posted: 9/1/2014 7:01:13 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

Sorry I've intruded into your thread.  Best of luck with modifying your buffer, buffer tube, spring, etc.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

You really don't have a clue?

See previous comment - Eric802
Link Posted: 9/1/2014 7:05:22 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:  I have a Radical Firearms receiver extension that sticks out 6.750"  out of the receiver. I would like it to be 6.600" to get my OAL down to under 26"

There is if he lives in Michigan at least. I haven't checked where he lives. In Michigan an AR pistol MUST be under 26" AOL or they classify it a SBR regardless of the Fed laws.I know, I looked up the Michigan laws for someone about 4 or 5 months ago. Other states may have similar garbage extra laws. The Mi. laws DO include the flash hider also.

Link Posted: 9/1/2014 11:07:43 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

You're quite welcome.  We're in Tech, not GD.  While it may not mean a thing to you, it may mean something to someone down the road.
Link Posted: 9/1/2014 11:24:29 PM EDT
[#29]
Just cut the threads off the barrel rethread and crown. Problem solved.
Link Posted: 9/2/2014 10:54:10 PM EDT
[#30]
That has been brought up,I have a smith lined up,but I may have it covered.
Link Posted: 9/3/2014 1:00:54 AM EDT
[#31]
Not cheap but I use a 4" pistol buffer tube. The problem is it takes a special bolt carrier so it is more expensive. I use one in my AR bullpup conversion and it works fine a bit of pain to take apart doesn't break down like a normal AR you have to remove the recoil spring from the buffer tube before you can open up the receivers.

short pistol buffer tube assembly
Link Posted: 9/4/2014 3:00:35 PM EDT
[#32]
I got the Phase 5 tube and STD in nthe mail.
The Phase 5 is longer that the RF tube.
With the STD and RF tube my OAL is 25 .875 +or- .050" on the 'Ben Franklin" wooden yardstick.
So no worry either way on Michigan Law
46 rounds fire and the RF polymer sights are not some of the finest examples of Craftsmanship, they rock,they roll and they don't sit flush on the rail,and it's their rail and their sights.
Link Posted: 9/4/2014 9:44:59 PM EDT
[#33]
Wait, so the Phase 5 buffer tube is LONGER than the one you had?  Interesting.  I know my measuring was right for my tube.  Hmmmmm....    

But, it sounds like you'll be good for your build, correct?   Post pics when you can.
Link Posted: 9/5/2014 7:50:49 AM EDT
[#34]
At the time I measured the RF tube it wasn't screwed in all the way due to operator error and the fact that the clearance for the buffer retainer wasn't adequate for it to screw in properly.

It will serve as a spare for my current pistol,or as a spare for my spare virgin lower in case a AR barrel of questionable size finds it's way on over.
Link Posted: 9/5/2014 7:52:36 AM EDT
[#35]
I traded my spare carbine receiver extension for the phase 5 so I'm only out postage and like I said it's a spare and cheap insurance.
Link Posted: 9/5/2014 8:30:45 AM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:

There is if he lives in Michigan at least. I haven't checked where he lives. In Michigan an AR pistol MUST be under 26" AOL or they classify it a SBR regardless of the Fed laws.I know, I looked up the Michigan laws for someone about 4 or 5 months ago. Other states may have similar garbage extra laws. The Mi. laws DO include the flash hider also.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

If it's over 26" it is a "firearm".
Link Posted: 9/5/2014 9:42:14 AM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:
I traded my spare carbine receiver extension for the phase 5 so I'm only out postage and like I said it's a spare and cheap insurance.
View Quote

Sounds good and like it's all going to work out for you.  Good deal.
Link Posted: 9/5/2014 10:19:23 AM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Tell that to the local LE,ADA

If over 26" it can't be carried locked and loaded in my vehicle either,with CPL
Link Posted: 9/5/2014 10:49:22 AM EDT
[#39]
Link Posted: 9/5/2014 3:06:28 PM EDT
[#40]
No problem . How hard would it be for posters in this thread to just answer the question in the OP.
Link Posted: 9/5/2014 3:15:10 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:  There is if he lives in Michigan at least. I haven't checked where he lives. In Michigan an AR pistol MUST be under 26" AOL or they classify it a SBR regardless of the Fed laws.I know, I looked up the Michigan laws for someone about 4 or 5 months ago. Other states may have similar garbage extra laws. The Mi. laws DO include the flash hider also.

No.  If it's over 26", w/o a stock, AND has a VFG attached, it's a firearm.  Otherwise it's just a really long pistol.  ETA:  Federally.  In Michigan, no idea.
Link Posted: 9/5/2014 3:47:10 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:

No.  If it's over 26", w/o a stock, AND has a VFG attached, it's a firearm.  Otherwise it's just a really long pistol.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:  There is if he lives in Michigan at least. I haven't checked where he lives. In Michigan an AR pistol MUST be under 26" AOL or they classify it a SBR regardless of the Fed laws.I know, I looked up the Michigan laws for someone about 4 or 5 months ago. Other states may have similar garbage extra laws. The Mi. laws DO include the flash hider also.

No.  If it's over 26", w/o a stock, AND has a VFG attached, it's a firearm.  Otherwise it's just a really long pistol.

State laws are annoying.  Ohio has some stupid ones too.  Like if it's centerfire and 31+ capacity magazine it's a machine gun.  
Link Posted: 9/5/2014 8:02:27 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Agreed.
Link Posted: 9/5/2014 8:03:36 PM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:

No.  If it's over 26", w/o a stock, AND has a VFG attached, it's a firearm.  Otherwise it's just a really long pistol.  ETA:  Federally.  In Michigan, no idea.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Sorry, to clarify, I meant over 26", w/o a stock, no VFG.
Link Posted: 9/5/2014 8:12:39 PM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Federally, that's still a pistol.  In Michigan, no idea what you call it.
Link Posted: 9/5/2014 9:05:15 PM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Says the guy who lives in TX.  Which by the way is top on my list of places I'd rather be  

At least OH doesn't care to further define a pistol.  CHL+Loaded AR pistol in a vehicle =

Link Posted: 9/8/2014 7:39:27 PM EDT
[#47]
Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top