Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 8/27/2014 10:26:09 PM EDT
Both me, and a buddy recently got Del-Ton lowers which you needed to add your own buffer tube. We both went with Carbine buffer tubes. But Both our retainers are barely held down by the tube it seems like...

If we try and get another turn out of the buffer tube it isn't in the right position.

When I installed the buffer tube on my Anderson Mfg lower I was able to get more of the tube holding the retainer. Like this...

He's worried that the retainer might pop out of place after some use with the rifle. I've put my leatherman tool on the retainer and I've tried to get it to slip past the buffer. Wasn't able to get it past the tube. Should we just run them? Or should we look at getting perhaps a different brand of buffer tube? He used a UTG branded mil-spec tube, and I used a Armalite mil-spec tube. He thought maybe trying a Del-Ton branded tube might be better. I said before you buy anything let me hop on AR15.com and ask a question.

If you could also post some pics of your buffer retainer, and let us know if you've had any issues with a retainer failing or buffer tube issue?
Link Posted: 8/27/2014 10:33:56 PM EDT
[#1]

File a small 1/2 circle in the extension tube so you can give it another turn in.

Link Posted: 8/27/2014 11:38:19 PM EDT
[#2]

Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

File a small 1/2 circle in the extension tube so you can give it another turn in.

View Quote
This, Just had to do this on a ULW build using a New Frontier lower after mine actually popped out causing a stoppage during testing.

Link Posted: 8/31/2014 10:25:08 PM EDT
[#3]
My buddy e-mailed Del-Ton, and they said that it doesn't look right. They suggested trying a different brand of buffer tube. He ordered their brand of mil-spec buffer tube to see if it makes a difference. If it does fix the problem I may do the same thing. They also told him if that doesn't fix the problem they wouldn't have a problem swapping out the lower for him.
Link Posted: 8/31/2014 10:40:03 PM EDT
[#4]
This is a common issue. You need to file down the lip of the tube to get that extra turn in. If you post this in the troubleshooting forum Dano523 will be able to explain it in better depth
Link Posted: 9/2/2014 1:02:02 AM EDT
[#5]
After doing some more looking I decided to swap buffer tubes one more time. The buffer tube the Del Ton lower was wearing was actually off my Armalite lower. The buffer tube that I had on the Armalite lower was one I took off another built lower I got in a trade with a 6.5 Grendel upper. I noticed that buffer tube had a extra "fat" lip on the buffer tube. So I swapped them, and I think I got it fixed. The Armalite tube fits the Armalite lower just fine (It's their own part, it should), and now the Del Ton lower looks like this...

It should be good to go now!
Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top