Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 8/26/2014 12:53:12 PM EDT
Heya gents,

Ive lurked around here a long time, learned a bunch of stuff, bought and sold a couple of cheaper ARs, but have decided its time to put one together myself that I can keep for a long time to iron out some of the issues I did not like about the others Ive had.

Build total is hovering around $1300ish and would like to keep it there.  Optic is not part of the list, but will likely be a Vortex.  Parts were sourced from Aero for upper, lower and handguard.  The rest I just put spit balled together from Primary Arms.  Id like to minimize the amount of shipping costs, so buying from 6 different places is a no go.

I have a few questions on the parts list and costs.  If you see something I put on this list that is subpar, please give me an alternate as well a decent place to buy it

Upper
Aero M4E1 w/ 15" guard - $320
One of the requirements for this build was a good solid 15" handguard to maximize sight length when shooting irons and to cover the rifle length gas system.  Wanted to get away from a "bolt on" or "clamp on" type guard.

YHM Fluted 20" barrel - $225
Former Marine here, I like a 20" barrel with a rifle length gas system.  Fluted to reduce weight slightly.  This by far my most  up in the air part.  Would like to stay under $300 if possible.  Will be mostly shooting reloaded 55gr bullets from 50-300 yards.  Might shoot heavier bullets to 500+ yards once in awhile.  Suggestions needed here please as this is the part Im really a noob about.

DS Arms BCG - $85
Looking a decent reliable part here.  Doesnt need to be super fancy.  Can always change this part later.

YHM LP gas block - $23
YHM Rifle gas tube - $16
Both fall into the "good enough" category

Troy Claymore muzzle brake$64
Prefer a linear comp as I want to preserve mine and others hearing.  Any other suggestions?  Ive heard the STDs are supposed to me OK, and dead simple.

Link Posted: 8/26/2014 12:53:43 PM EDT
[#1]
Had to break it into 2 parts...  :)

Lower
Aero - $85
Just as easy to order this from Aero when I get the upper

Geissele G2S - $165
Thought about a SSA-E but I cant justify the money right now.  This is a very critical area for me.  Doesn't really need it to be adjustable.

Magpull STR stock - $70
Magpull K2 grip - $20
Magpull MOE trigger guard - $5
Personal preference here and reasonably priced

DS Arms stock hardware kit - $40
CMMG Lower parts kit - $50
A "good enough" set of parts unless Im really missing something

Thoughts?  Feedback is appreciated.

Thanks

Link Posted: 8/26/2014 2:47:31 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Had to break it into 2 parts...  :)

Lower
Aero - $85
Just as easy to order this from Aero when I get the upper

Geissele G2S - $165
Thought about a SSA-E but I cant justify the money right now.  This is a very critical area for me.  Doesn't really need it to be adjustable.

Magpull STR stock - $70
Magpull K2 grip - $20
Magpull MOE trigger guard - $5
Personal preference here and reasonably priced

DS Arms stock hardware kit - $40
CMMG Lower parts kit - $50
A "good enough" set of parts unless Im really missing something

Thoughts?  Feedback is appreciated.

Thanks

View Quote

Just a thought, you may want to check out our B-G2S-E from Brownells. It will be just like our SSA-E in the same way that the G2S is to the SSA.

-Geissele Customer Service
Link Posted: 8/26/2014 3:45:10 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
Just a thought, you may want to check out our B-G2S-E from Brownells. It will be just like our SSA-E in the same way that the G2S is to the SSA.

View Quote

Will do.  Thanks!
Link Posted: 8/26/2014 6:01:33 PM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:
Will do.  Thanks!

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Will do.  Thanks!

Or you could just wait for the Labor Day sales and get the G2S for ~$140 shipped from places like Exile Machine...

Link Posted: 8/27/2014 9:19:17 AM EDT
[#5]
Any input on the barrel?

Id like to stick with a 20" fluted barrel with a rifle length gas system for around $300 or less. YHM barrels any good?
Link Posted: 8/27/2014 2:50:49 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
Any input on the barrel?

Id like to stick with a 20" fluted barrel with a rifle length gas system for around $300 or less. YHM barrels any good?
View Quote

The YHM fluted 20" barrels I found look THICK. I know fluting helps drop the weight a little bit, but not miracle amounts. I'd check the specs and look at the weight!

THe barrel I found also was a 1:9 twist. You mentioned you want to shoot out further with heavier bullets occassionally. Well you'll need 1:7 twist or tighter for that. 1:9 doesn't even do that great of a job on 62gr bullets.

The people I know that got medium to heavy profile 20" barrels usually really don't like the weight, unless they're staying benched.

YHM might have a cheaper floated handguard. Not sure if it's long enough to -cover- a low gasa block on a rifle length system, but it doesn't actually have to...

Kind of sounds like a rifle you'd want magnified glass on with backup irons.

As for quality... I'm sure you could search up what people have to say specifically about any halfway popular barrel out there. YHM is probably a decent barrel, so probably sub MOA with handloads, as usual.

Hope something here helps.
Link Posted: 8/27/2014 3:53:10 PM EDT
[#7]
Cav, thanks for the help

I was under the impression that lighter bullets, such as 55gr, shot better out of 1:9?

I know a friend of mine shoots 55gr reloads out of a PSA 18" SS 223 Wylde 1:8 twist.  Usually can cover a 3 shot group with a quarter at 100 yards.

Im not adverse to an 18" barrel by any means, as 2" makes maybe a 25fps difference on the bullet.  I would like to stay with rifle length gas system though.

Ive looked on Midway, Brownells, Primary Arms.  Any other good sources out there?

Link Posted: 9/3/2014 4:00:19 PM EDT
[#8]
Well parts are all ordered.  Picked up some of the stuff last weekend during the Labor Day sales.  Saved myself a good chunk of money.

Parts list:

Aero Precision M4E1
Aero Precisions 15" Keymod guard
Green Mountain 18" Fluted Rifle length gas
Aero Precision BBCG
DS Arms Low Profile Gas Block
Seekins Rifle Length Gas Tube
Troy Claymore muzzle brake
Strike Industries Charging Handle
Vortex Crossfire II 4-12X40
Aero Precision 1" scope mount
MagPul MBUS Gen 2 Flip-Up Sight
Aero Precision AR15 Stripped
Geissele SSA-E
Magpul MOE Stock
Magpull K2 grip
Spike's Tactical Lower Parts Kit
Spike's Tactical Buffer Tube
Magpull MOE trigger guard

Will put up some pics as I start to get assembly done.
Link Posted: 9/12/2014 12:09:26 PM EDT
[#9]
Gun is assembled.  Needs some minor tweaking of the sights and scope before I hit the range.  Ill post a few pics on Saturday when I can get my good camera out to take a few.

A few thoughts.

The Aero handguard is solid.  No flex at all, even at 15" long.  This was a big concern for me.

The special Aero wrench required to tighten the barrel nut, not to so tough.  I generally shoot for about 45 ft lbs on my barrel nuts.  Just as I felt the torque wrench about to cam over, 2 of the lugs let go on the wrench.  The wrench is made of bronze, so better that than a messed up barrel nut.  It looked to possibly have a flaw in one of the lugs after closer inspection on the cross section of the broken lug..  Called Aero this AM, and they are sending me a new wrench free of charge, no questions asked.  Ill re-torque the barrel next week when the new wrench gets here but the gun is good to shoot as I know Im above 40 ft lbs with no doubts.
Link Posted: 9/12/2014 12:59:16 PM EDT
[#10]
Palmetto State Armory has the Vortex Strikefire on sale at $100 which is an excellent price for it.
Link Posted: 9/12/2014 1:19:09 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
Palmetto State Armory has the Vortex Strikefire on sale at $100 which is an excellent price for it.
View Quote

Next year...  

I think my wife would shoot me with my own weapon if I buy anything else this year...
Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top