Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 8/26/2014 8:42:11 AM EDT
New to f/f rail installs and am contemplating a YHM free float (specifically thesmooth carbine length).  Noticed in their installation instructions that they recommend using a proprietary wrench (YHM-9621).  Is this absolutely necessary or just  nice to have for installing such?
Link Posted: 8/26/2014 8:51:36 AM EDT
[#1]
Quoted:
New to f/f rail installs and am contemplating a YHM free float (specifically thesmooth carbine length).  Noticed in their installation instructions that they recommend using a proprietary wrench (YHM-9621).  Is this absolutely necessary or just  nice to have for installing such?
View Quote

I bought a standard armour's tool and the pins didn't line up.  They are supposed to, but I got a bad brand, I guess.  I went and bought the YHM tool online fairly cheaply.  It worked perfectly, of course.
Link Posted: 8/26/2014 10:46:00 AM EDT
[#2]
With the YHM rails you have to tighten two different nuts.  The barrel nut can be tightened with a standard barrel nut wrench, but the jam nut needs a spanner wrench.  You can use a screwdriver/punch and hammer, but it messes up the finish a little bit.
Link Posted: 8/26/2014 1:10:08 PM EDT
[#3]
You're talking about this, right?  I bought it shipped from somewhere (Amazon, Midway USA, etc) for $20-$25 bucks.

Link Posted: 8/26/2014 6:12:45 PM EDT
[#4]
I installed the yankee hill todd Jarrett handguard.  I didn't buy there tool.  My armorors wrench worked well.  The holes lined up fine with the 3 pins on the wrench.  A little advice for you......you do not need to crank down on the jam nut super tight with a spanning wrench.  I tried doing that and I screwed up the jam nut.  Bought a new jam nut because it was driving me crazy.  You could see it was messed up.  Took a little advice from somebody on here and put a little electrical tape over the tip of a flat tip screwdriver.  Tapped it on tightly and that's all you need.  If that handguard has anti rotation screws its not going anywhere.  I believe I put a little wheel bearing grease on the threads also to aid in removal if I ever want to remove it.
Link Posted: 8/27/2014 6:46:52 AM EDT
[#5]
thanks folks, will try without and buy it if I have issues.
Link Posted: 8/27/2014 11:05:09 AM EDT
[#6]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
thanks folks, will try without and buy it if I have issues.
View Quote

Looks like the same handguard I put on something for someone. Used a PRI barrel nut wrench and a pair of pipe pliers. The pliers had a tooth at the end of the... claw or w/e that happened to fit perfet. I have a couple different brand pliers with that, so I think it's common. I then just used some cloth to lessen any scratching. Worked well.

Some people recommend using a stock castle nut wrench, but it scratched it and didn't work well. (There person this was for was ok with that as long as they didn't have to buy the special tool)
Link Posted: 8/27/2014 5:32:43 PM EDT
[#7]
For the jam nut; just use a wide but sharp flat head screwdriver at an angle, and lightly tap it tight with a small hammer.

Be careful on the angle, as if it is too steep or narrow, you can mar the metal.  If you do that, it can be fixed with a small file and cold bluing.
Link Posted: 8/28/2014 4:15:01 AM EDT
[#8]
I used a armorer's wrench to tighten the barrel and a flat head screwdriver.

That is all I needed.

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
Link Posted: 8/28/2014 5:07:02 AM EDT
[#9]
I used my standard armorer's wrench.  Worked for both.
Link Posted: 8/28/2014 10:28:28 AM EDT
[#10]
I use a large chislel and it works fine.
Link Posted: 8/28/2014 12:00:48 PM EDT
[#11]
Wish my original tool would have been in spec.  Sounds like everyone else's was.  Would have saved me buying this, but hey, at least I'm going to build more than one.  And with the tool, it locks in to place, so no knife or screwdriver needed.
Link Posted: 8/28/2014 5:34:18 PM EDT
[#12]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
You're talking about this, right?  I bought it shipped from somewhere (Amazon, Midway USA, etc) for $20-$25 bucks.

http://yhm.net/media/catalog/product/cache/1/image/1140x/040ec09b1e35df139433887a97daa66f/Y/H/YHM-9621_3.jpg
View Quote

Money well spent........I have this and used it install my YHM float tube........also worked on a Chinese copy........
Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top