Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 8/20/2014 7:09:43 PM EDT
Hey all,

I bought a rifle today and it has a handguard that i'm trying to get off and have no idea how and need some help. Below is a picture of it and the rifle! Any advice would be awesome!

Link Posted: 8/20/2014 7:13:07 PM EDT
[#1]
Roll the dice until you get snake-eyes. It should slide off.
Sorry dude, couldn't help myself.
Link Posted: 8/20/2014 7:14:10 PM EDT
[#2]
Looks like it may have started life as a Hogue.  try unscrewing it off the barrel nut.
Link Posted: 8/20/2014 7:21:06 PM EDT
[#3]
The price was too good to pass up even if it has a ugly hydrodip. It came with eotech for $650
Link Posted: 8/20/2014 7:21:41 PM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Looks like it may have started life as a Hogue.  try unscrewing it off the barrel nut.
View Quote

Would it be advised to put it in my vice block or can it be done by hand?
Link Posted: 8/20/2014 7:23:37 PM EDT
[#5]
Leave it as it is. Buy snakeskin boots, snakeskin pants, snakeskin jacket, and a snakeskin hat.
Link Posted: 8/20/2014 7:25:35 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
Leave it as it is. Buy snakeskin boots, snakeskin pants, snakeskin jacket, and a snakeskin hat.
View Quote

LOL!
Link Posted: 8/20/2014 7:30:41 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
View Quote

Shit I only own denim clothing
Link Posted: 8/20/2014 7:52:06 PM EDT
[#8]
OP, hook a strap-wrench up to it and give it a crank. I would think it would back off the barrel nut with a few turns.
Link Posted: 8/20/2014 8:22:41 PM EDT
[#9]
Take the upper off before you go to remove the handguard and put it in a vice using an upper vice block. Most free float handguards have at least one set screw somewhere. In the case of that rifle, the set screw has probably been coated with the paint job. There should be some indentation though for any set screws. Once you have them out you'll be able to simply unscrew the handguard off the barrel nut.

Don't hav a clue though as to how you're going to strip that dip from the upper and lower receivers. The stock isn't a problem, you can simply replace it. Certainly not a bad deal for $650 with the Eotech so it's worth whatever work you do to it.

Link Posted: 8/20/2014 8:24:25 PM EDT
[#10]
Just vice it and unscrew it. The whole hand guard is the barrel nut.
Link Posted: 8/20/2014 8:55:34 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
The price was too good to pass up even if it has a ugly hydrodip. It came with eotech for $650
View Quote

What are the rest of the details on the rifle?  He probably got a hard time from the boys at the local range

Wow.

Link Posted: 8/20/2014 9:05:17 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
OP, hook a strap-wrench up to it and give it a crank. I would think it would back off the barrel nut with a few turns.
View Quote

This. Unless you take the other posters advice and snake skin up your whole life!
Link Posted: 8/20/2014 11:47:39 PM EDT
[#13]
Take it to a gunsmith. Let them do it.
Link Posted: 8/21/2014 1:41:46 AM EDT
[#14]
I'd leave it as-is...... I really like that....

srsly.
Link Posted: 8/21/2014 3:15:06 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

What are the rest of the details on the rifle?  He probably got a hard time from the boys at the local range

Wow.

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Wow.

CMMG lower with a MOE+ grip, KAC trigger guard, Troy assist lever and a custom upper with a Thor 1:8 barrel, PWS fcs556, and a HPI/MPI bcg. Looks to be a very low round count rifle too. Also the EOTech EXPS2-0 was included all for $650
Link Posted: 8/21/2014 6:08:09 AM EDT
[#16]
Check out this thread...

http://www.ak47.net/archive/topic.html?b=3&f=66&t=625695
Link Posted: 8/21/2014 7:27:10 AM EDT
[#17]
You are going to have to change something's to move to NY
Link Posted: 8/22/2014 6:05:17 AM EDT
[#18]
OP good score I saw that For Sale but was wallet lite.
Link Posted: 8/22/2014 7:02:20 AM EDT
[#19]
Interesting looking stick....would be interested to know more about the eotech might just be the low res pic but something just looks off. Then again it could be the snakeskin throwing my eyes out.

Nice pic up op
Link Posted: 8/22/2014 9:01:28 AM EDT
[#20]
trade it for a normal looking rifle to someone who likes that look (although that may be a hard find)

Link Posted: 8/22/2014 7:01:18 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
Interesting looking stick....would be interested to know more about the eotech might just be the low res pic but something just looks off. Then again it could be the snakeskin throwing my eyes out.

Nice pic up op
View Quote

The consensus was it is legit and after using it and playing with it, it is a real eotech.

http://www.ar15.com/forums/t_3_18/654334_Is_this_eoTech_legit_.html
Link Posted: 8/23/2014 6:42:06 AM EDT
[#22]
Is there a slip ring between the tube and the receiver?  If so, you can loosen the tube with a strap wrench.
Link Posted: 8/23/2014 7:04:14 AM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

The consensus was it is legit and after using it and playing with it, it is a real eotech.

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Nice pic up op

Thanks for posting yeah the pics in that thread make it look gtg...something about that far away pic just looked off to me. thanks for indulging my ocd
Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top