Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 8/17/2014 7:33:40 PM EDT
I'm sure everyone here is familiar with the rear takedown detent modification with a 4-40 tap and Allen screw, but I was wondering if it's been done with he safety selector detent.
It would certainly make changing pistol grips much more convenient, but I've never heard of anyone trying it.

If so, doe anyone remember what tap/screw sizes that they used?
Link Posted: 8/17/2014 7:53:32 PM EDT
[#1]
I know it's been done but I can't think who done it off the top of my head. I remember reading that they dremeled the safety selector pin in half and cut the spring a few coils. May want to search in the DIY Slidefire stock realm, I think that's where I saw it mentioned...
Link Posted: 8/17/2014 8:01:22 PM EDT
[#2]
Ive done it. It works nicely.  HERE is a write up from someone else on here that I had found.
I believe I used the same 8-32 tap... But Im not positive, I know I used a tap I already had on hand but I would need to run out to the shop to see what it was.  Anyway it was a simple job.
Link Posted: 8/17/2014 8:07:50 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Ive done it. It works nicely.  HERE is a write up from someone else on here that I had found.
I believe I used the same 8-32 tap... But Im not positive, I know I used a tap I already had on hand but I would need to run out to the shop to see what it was.  Anyway it was a simple job.
View Quote

Thank you, Brother! That's EXACTLY what I was looking for. Your search-fu skills are much appreciated!!

ETA: It appears that finding the 1/8" ball bearing will be the most difficult part of the mod!
Link Posted: 8/17/2014 8:21:39 PM EDT
[#4]
i tried it, there is really not enough length for the detent, spring, and allen screw. even if you shorten the detent, spring, and screw to almost nothing, the few coils left of the spring will be just about coil bound. i 'm not saying it's not possible. i just don't think using that short of a spring there will hold up very long and may cause problems eventually
Link Posted: 8/17/2014 9:04:04 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
i tried it, there is really not enough length for the detent, spring, and allen screw. even if you shorten the detent, spring, and screw to almost nothing, the few coils left of the spring will be just about coil bound. i 'm not saying it's not possible. i just don't think using that short of a spring there will hold up very long and may cause problems eventually
View Quote

The mod actually replaces the detent with a 1/8" ball bearing, which leaves a little extra spring room.
Link Posted: 8/17/2014 9:18:27 PM EDT
[#6]
Here is an old video I made when I did it.

I used a cut down safety detent as I couldn't get the ball bearing to work.

Link Posted: 8/17/2014 9:47:54 PM EDT
[#7]
Thanks for the video. I think I'll just try cutting the detent down instead of trying my luck with the ball bearing after watching that.

I also don't really want to buy 99 ball bearings that I don't need, just to get the 1 that I do need.
Link Posted: 8/17/2014 9:52:14 PM EDT
[#8]
I can go take some pics of the detent and spring if you would like.

EDIT

Ok so somewhere down the road I ended up swapping the cut down detent for an actual ball bearing and just couldn't remember that I did it.

I have a whole pack of these ball bearings if you would like I could give you a handful of them in the mail.

Should be able to send out tomorrow if you give me your address.

Pics of my setup:

Pics of 1/8 ball bearings:

Link Posted: 8/18/2014 2:19:20 AM EDT
[#9]
I'm sure if you look a little harder you can find some ball bearings that are made in the USA.
Link Posted: 8/18/2014 4:52:17 AM EDT
[#10]
Most of the hardware stores around me carry and sell ball bearings individually. They are along with all the other hardware, in the little pull out shelves. So I didn't have to buy 100 of them off the net.
I also ground down the set screw ever so slightly, I think I could only find a 3/16 set screw and I had to file it down to an 1/8".  That may or may not have been needed, but like the others are saying every little bit of spring will help in this small space.
Link Posted: 8/18/2014 5:16:28 AM EDT
[#11]
I had a hell of a time trying to find 1/8 ball bearings locally.  I ordered mine online.
Link Posted: 8/18/2014 8:13:43 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
Most of the hardware stores around me carry and sell ball bearings individually. They are along with all the other hardware, in the little pull out shelves. So I didn't have to buy 100 of them off the net.
I also ground down the set screw ever so slightly, I think I could only find a 3/16 set screw and I had to file it down to an 1/8".  That may or may not have been needed, but like the others are saying every little bit of spring will help in this small space.
View Quote

I just ordered some 3/16" set screws too. I couldn't find any 1/8", so it looks like I'll be sanding one of these down as much as possible. A few threads and enough depth to hold the wrench itself is all you need, so I'll remove as much material as I can to save spring-space.
Link Posted: 8/19/2014 6:37:41 AM EDT
[#13]
I have made a similar modification. i basically made a reverse plumb bob out of the selector detent. I made two small holes through the detent then i ran the wire through the spring. I made a tiny hole through the center of the hole on the grip to the hollow section of the grip and added a pull ring. So now when i want to take the selector out i just pull the ring and i can slide it right off without taking off my grip. And if i take my grip off it comes off as a unit with detent and spring attached.

Link Posted: 8/19/2014 7:09:09 AM EDT
[#14]
Now that is pretty damn nifty ! I would need a magnifying glass just to see the microscopic drill bit you used, lol.
Quoted:
I have made a similar modification. i basically made a reverse plumb bob out of the selector detent. I made two small holes through the detent then i ran the wire through the spring. I made a tiny hole through the center of the hole on the grip to the hollow section of the grip and added a pull ring. So now when i want to take the selector out i just pull the ring and i can slide it right off without taking off my grip. And if i take my grip off it comes off as a unit with detent and spring attached.

<a href="http://s81.photobucket.com/user/anibal999r/media/IMG_0919-1.jpg.html" target="_blank">http://i81.photobucket.com/albums/j203/anibal999r/IMG_0919-1.jpg</a>

<a href="http://s81.photobucket.com/user/anibal999r/media/7d8552d8-3adb-4cb2-bcfc-09a993c54ab8.jpg.html" target="_blank">http://i81.photobucket.com/albums/j203/anibal999r/7d8552d8-3adb-4cb2-bcfc-09a993c54ab8.jpg</a>
View Quote

Link Posted: 8/19/2014 7:11:48 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
Now that is pretty damn nifty ! I would need a magnifying glass just to see the microscopic drill bit you used, lol.

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

<a href="http://s81.photobucket.com/user/anibal999r/media/IMG_0919-1.jpg.html" target="_blank">http://i81.photobucket.com/albums/j203/anibal999r/IMG_0919-1.jpg</a>

<a href="http://s81.photobucket.com/user/anibal999r/media/7d8552d8-3adb-4cb2-bcfc-09a993c54ab8.jpg.html" target="_blank">http://i81.photobucket.com/albums/j203/anibal999r/7d8552d8-3adb-4cb2-bcfc-09a993c54ab8.jpg</a>

Ha ha! They were peuny ball nose end mills, and you have to be really careful or the bit will just waste away.
Link Posted: 8/26/2014 9:51:51 PM EDT
[#16]
Thanks to everyone for all of the info provided here.

I just finished this mod on my beater SBR. I used a #8-32 tap, #8-32x3/16" set-screw, 1/8" ball bearing(BIG thanks to brodband8 for sending me a few of those),  and snipped the spring down to about 3/16" and snugged the set-screw down till the tension was perfecto.

I'm shocked at how easy it went, and how smooth and solid the action is on the selector now. It's actually much smoother than it was with the detent.

I've already done the set-screw mod on all of my rear takedown pins, so now I'll definitely be doing the safety selector mod on the rest as well. It's probably not worth it if you don't change your furniture often, but I have to try every new grip and end-plate that hit the market, so these mods were well worth my time.
Link Posted: 8/27/2014 5:46:13 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
Thanks to everyone for all of the info provided here.

I just finished this mod on my beater SBR. I used a #8-32 tap, #8-32x3/16" set-screw, 1/8" ball bearing(BIG thanks to brodband8 for sending me a few of those),  and snipped the spring down to about 3/16" and snugged the set-screw down till the tension was perfecto.

I'm shocked at how easy it went, and how smooth and solid the action is on the selector now. It's actually much smoother than it was with the detent.

I've already done the set-screw mod on all of my rear takedown pins, so now I'll definitely be doing the safety selector mod on the rest as well. It's probably not worth it if you don't change your furniture often, but I have to try every new grip and end-plate that hit the market, so these mods were well worth my time.
View Quote

Can the selector be pushed out since it's a ball bearing and not a detent? I'm curious to know, maybe the length of the spring does not allow the ball bearing to compress enough to allow the selector cam to be pushed out. I would imagine if that's not the case it would be able to be pushed out.
Link Posted: 8/27/2014 9:49:16 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
Can the selector be pushed out since it's a ball bearing and not a detent? I'm curious to know, maybe the length of the spring does not allow the ball bearing to compress enough to allow the selector cam to be pushed out. I would imagine if that's not the case it would be able to be pushed out.
View Quote

You can already do this even with a standard detent, usually - kicker is that the trigger must have been removed first, because the back of the trigger falls between the wider diameter ends of the selector body, preventing it from being pushed out in that manner while the trigger is present.

I've removed my selector(s) this way before when I was changing out FCG parts in the field and didn't have a hex key with me to loosen the pistol grip screw - remove hammer and trigger, then move the selector halfway between safe and fire, and give it a firm push from the right side, and it'll pop right out. Goes right back in the same way, though you might need a small point like a bullet tip or small screwdriver to depress the detent enough to get the selector started in if the edge of your selector isn't beveled to make it easier.
Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top