BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 3
Posted: 8/6/2014 10:17:54 PM EDT
I just finished putting the finishing touch on this pistol build and i wanted to give you guys some teaser pics. I'll take a lot of photos tomorrow when i clean up a bit around here. I started this build back in March and it is finally finished! Well almost finished i'm waiting on the sbr stamp to come in to be completely done.

There's quite a bit of custom work: Machined KMR with MLOK slots, 7068 Aluminum barrel nut, modified Balios Lite upper to take Strike Ind dust cover, modified Smoke Composites pistol buffer tube to run carbine buffer.

I chose the KMR because it's the lightest rail out there that doesnt look like a ugly carbon fiber pipe, but i was not satisfied with the weight until i machined it and added the aluminum barrel nut. The entire rail system weighs 5 oz exactly.

List of parts:
2A Armament receivers set
Boomfab Titane
Christensen Arms 11.5" 300 blk carbon wrapped barrel
BCM KMR modified 10"
Seekins bolt catch modified
V7 everything on lower minus mag release button, i hate the screw showing so i went with Seekins
BCM Ambi charging handle, i know i can be lighter but i will not sacrifice ambi controls
Geisselle SD-3G trigger
Taccom buffer system with flat coil spring
Magpul K grip
Aimpoint T-1 Micro 2moa
Fortis F-1 mount
Spikes Tac Micro sights
Smoke composites pistol buffer tube, modified to carbine length
SLR Sentry 7 set screw version gas block

The entire pistol without sights and optics weighs is at 3 lbs 9.6 oz, if i put the butt on there it would weigh 3 lbs 13 oz. So that will stop the "oh it's a lightweight pistol" guys. I don't plan on running it without sights of course so with buis and a Aimpoint t-1 micro with Fortis mount it will add 6.1 oz. That would make my complete theoretical "rifle" weigh 4 lbs 3.1 oz total without magazine.

Link Posted: 8/6/2014 10:41:10 PM EDT
[#1]
Looks sweet!
Link Posted: 8/6/2014 11:42:48 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Looks sweet!
View Quote

How do you know, we cant see the whole thing. He spelled "extremely" with a capital X so I'm just going to assume it's totally awesome.

Looking forward to more pics.
Link Posted: 8/6/2014 11:56:46 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:

How do you know, we cant see the whole thing. He spelled "extremely" with a capital X so I'm just going to assume it's totally awesome.

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Looks sweet!

lol I only spelled it that way because i had a S10 Xtreme my senior year in high school. I'll post some progression pics tomorrow and some finished, but my brother with the fancy camera will not be able to take pictures until Friday. :(
Link Posted: 8/7/2014 2:17:47 AM EDT
[#4]
3 lbs? dayumn. That's totally XTREME BROTHER (hulk Hogan voice) I wish I could shoot it, I don't think I've ever fired an AR under 7 lbs
Link Posted: 8/7/2014 3:25:30 AM EDT
[#5]
WTF do you have going on with your KMR?  You said customized? That thing is sick.  Remove some metal u did!

Link Posted: 8/7/2014 10:48:00 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
3 lbs? dayumn. That's totally XTREME BROTHER (hulk Hogan voice) I wish I could shoot it, I don't think I've ever fired an AR under 7 lbs
View Quote

Ohhhh yeeeah brother! (Randy savage voice) if you are ever in Houston you can come shoot it.
Link Posted: 8/7/2014 10:50:14 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
WTF do you have going on with your KMR?  You said customized? That thing is sick.  Remove some metal u did!
View Quote

Lol the machining dropped about a ounce from the rail and was a tedious process to hold it rigid without collapsing it on the vise.
Link Posted: 8/7/2014 11:21:38 AM EDT
[#8]
looks good from what i can see. very impressed with the weight.
Link Posted: 8/7/2014 12:24:56 PM EDT
[#9]
Link Posted: 8/7/2014 3:29:57 PM EDT
[#10]
Another from last night!

Link Posted: 8/7/2014 3:52:16 PM EDT
[#11]
Nice SBR my 7.5 is almost twice the weight of yours
Link Posted: 8/7/2014 4:06:25 PM EDT
[#12]
I do not know if you like blue anodized titanium, or not; because I stumbled across this company, Hoplite Systems the other night that offers titanium ar15 parts that are blue anodized. Which a couple of the parts offered would look sweet on your build.

Link Posted: 8/7/2014 5:41:51 PM EDT
[#13]
I wonder if a Raptor would be lighter than the ambi BCM CH. It would certainly look better IMHO.

EDIT:

Raptor 1.4 oz. (Military Morons review)

BCM Gunfighter Ambi 2.4 oz (specs listed on Amazon)

Probably not 100% accurate but worth exploring none the less. I'd go Raptor all day on that build.

Link Posted: 8/7/2014 6:00:34 PM EDT
[#14]
SLR renegade ch is also 1.4oz.
Link Posted: 8/7/2014 6:18:57 PM EDT
[#15]
Very nice.

It looks expensive too.
Link Posted: 8/7/2014 6:23:27 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
I wonder if a Raptor would be lighter than the ambi BCM CH. IT would certainly look better IMHO.  

EDIT:

Probably not 100% accurate but worth exploring none the less. I'd go Raptor all day on that build.

View Quote

When I was researching it I came across a post from a guy who had both. He stated  that the bcm was lighter. If the raptor is lighter I would rather have that one.
Link Posted: 8/7/2014 7:28:47 PM EDT
[#17]
What did you have to do to modify the Balios Lite upper to take the Strike Industries dust cover? What flash hider is that? Build is sweet! Nice work.
Link Posted: 8/7/2014 7:48:07 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
What did you have to do to modify the Balios Lite upper to take the Strike Industries dust cover? What flash hider is that? Build is sweet! Nice work.
View Quote

Thanks. I had to machine a small hole so that once you install the dust cover you can take it back off. The strike ind dust cover has a spring loaded detent on that side. The flash hider is a Christensen arms titanium
Link Posted: 8/7/2014 8:04:08 PM EDT
[#19]
It's interesting. Also interesting that you won't post pics of the entire rifle.
Link Posted: 8/7/2014 8:13:58 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
It's interesting. Also interesting that you won't post pics of the entire rifle.
View Quote

I will later tonight when I get home.
Link Posted: 8/7/2014 8:16:27 PM EDT
[#21]
Thats because it is still a pistol.  "Waiting on SBR stamp" in first post.
Link Posted: 8/7/2014 9:17:11 PM EDT
[#22]
That rifle is a thing of beuty!

I also do not like the mag release buttons with holes.  I wish I could find one with the lines and no hole.

That does not look like a Seekins bolt catch?
Link Posted: 8/7/2014 10:48:43 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
I wonder if a Raptor would be lighter than the ambi BCM CH. It would certainly look better IMHO.  

EDIT:

View Quote

I just weighed my BCM and it weighs 1.2 oz
Link Posted: 8/7/2014 11:12:36 PM EDT
[#24]
Here's the rest of the pics

I hollowed out the Ace stock here

KMR Machined

Guts

Smoke composites carbon fiber buffer tube modified to carbine length

Link Posted: 8/7/2014 11:16:02 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
That rifle is a thing of beuty!

I also do not like the mag release buttons with holes.  I wish I could find one with the lines and no hole.

That does not look like a Seekins bolt catch?
View Quote

It is a Seekins i modified with those serrations, i will be doing the same thing to the mag release button soon.
Link Posted: 8/7/2014 11:31:24 PM EDT
[#26]
i was skeptical when i read the title, but its really nice. i can see a lot of thought (and money) went into it
Link Posted: 8/8/2014 12:44:18 AM EDT
[#27]
You did an amazing job on that thing. Was so nice I had to comment again
Link Posted: 8/8/2014 12:50:05 AM EDT
[#28]
Dammit all to hell!

That is super cool, I really want one!
Link Posted: 8/8/2014 3:37:51 AM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:

Thanks. I had to machine a small hole so that once you install the dust cover you can take it back off. The strike ind dust cover has a spring loaded detent on that side. The flash hider is a Christensen arms titanium
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I've got a Balios Lite upper coming and a Strike Industries Dust Cover ready. Will it install in stock form? Thanks!
Link Posted: 8/8/2014 5:38:00 AM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:

I've got a Balios Lite upper coming and a Strike Industries Dust Cover ready. Will it install in stock form? Thanks!
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

You will be able to put it on but you will not be able to take it off without probably breaking something.
Link Posted: 8/8/2014 12:05:47 PM EDT
[#31]
I wouldn't mind seeing a bunch more pics if you get bored or something.
Link Posted: 8/8/2014 12:25:37 PM EDT
[#32]
Want to part ways with one of those extra aluminum kmr barrel nuts laying on the bench? I'd be interested if so.

Link Posted: 8/8/2014 6:25:56 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
Want to part ways with one of those extra aluminum kmr barrel nuts laying on the bench? I'd be interested if so.

View Quote

I only made a few extras if you are interested send me a pm.
Link Posted: 8/9/2014 6:11:11 PM EDT
[#34]
I'll be making this stock soon out of carbon fiber. I haven't seen anything out there aesthetically pleasing as well as lightweight so i'll build my own. I want to somehow incorporate a cheek riser but i haven't quite figured it out yet. Any ideas?

Link Posted: 8/9/2014 6:24:51 PM EDT
[#35]
Well done....
Link Posted: 8/9/2014 8:55:23 PM EDT
[#36]
I built a lightweight but wasn't trying to get it ridiculously light, I just used a 14.5 BM superlite barrel w/pinned A2X, Carbon fiber FF tube, A1 604 Slickside receiver w/ Colt halfmoon BCG, and a 3 position Fiberlite carbine Stock assembly, weighs 4.79lbs with an empty 20 round Colt magizine inserted. That is good enough for me. Your 3lb. build is off the charts.....but not tipping the scale.
Link Posted: 8/9/2014 9:34:42 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:
I built a lightweight but wasn't trying to get it ridiculously light, I just used a 14.5 BM superlite barrel w/pinned A2X, Carbon fiber FF tube, A1 604 Slickside receiver w/ Colt halfmoon BCG, and a 3 position Fiberlite carbine Stock assembly, weighs 4.79lbs with an empty 20 round Colt magizine inserted. That is good enough for me. Your 3lb. build is off the charts.....but not tipping the scale.
View Quote

Sounds like a sweet build! Yeah I went ridiculous with this build I really wanted to push the envelope without sacrificing reliability and strength. Then a added ambi to that list as well.
Link Posted: 8/9/2014 10:00:57 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:
Love it.
View Quote

I don't know how the F I've never even heard of you guys. I'm on your page right now. As soon as I get the funds together I'm buying your Balios receiver set and the lite set. Your receivers are a thing of beauty and super innovative.
Link Posted: 8/9/2014 10:05:09 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:

Sounds like a sweet build! Yeah I went ridiculous with this build I really wanted to push the envelope without sacrificing reliability and strength. Then a added ambi to that list as well.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I still can't believe how much aluminum you shaved off that KMR. Looks so good that it looks like it came that way from the factory
Link Posted: 8/9/2014 10:38:12 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:

I still can't believe how much aluminum you shaved off that KMR. Looks so good that it looks like it came that way from the factory
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Thanks! I like the slim profile it has now.

Link Posted: 8/9/2014 11:07:00 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:
I'll be making this stock soon out of carbon fiber. I haven't seen anything out there aesthetically pleasing as well as lightweight so i'll build my own. I want to somehow incorporate a cheek riser but i haven't quite figured it out yet. Any ideas?

<a href="http://s81.photobucket.com/user/anibal999r/media/CARBONSTOCK-1.jpg.html" target="_blank">http://i81.photobucket.com/albums/j203/anibal999r/CARBONSTOCK-1.jpg</a>

<a href="http://s81.photobucket.com/user/anibal999r/media/CARBONSTOCK-3.jpg.html" target="_blank">http://i81.photobucket.com/albums/j203/anibal999r/CARBONSTOCK-3.jpg</a>

<a href="http://s81.photobucket.com/user/anibal999r/media/CARBONSTOCK-2.jpg.html" target="_blank">http://i81.photobucket.com/albums/j203/anibal999r/CARBONSTOCK-2.jpg</a>
View Quote

Carbon fiber gets it best weight to strength ratio when used as thin section with maximum surface area. In other words those solid little bars is wrong. Fine design for aluminum  but not carbon. You want a hollow curved shape like the A2 stock. If you want it length adjustable work that into the A2 design. The Magpul MOA could be redesigned for carbon effectively. Lancer makes one that is decent could be better if the butt end were carbon of course.

My 308.

Link Posted: 8/9/2014 11:24:49 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:

Carbon fiber gets it best weight to strength ratio when used as thin section with maximum surface area. In other words those solid little bars is wrong. Fine design for aluminum  but not carbon. You want a hollow curved shape like the A2 stock. If you want it length adjustable work that into the A2 design. The Magpul MOA could be redesigned for carbon effectively. Lancer makes one that is decent could be better if the butt end were carbon of course.

My 308.
<a href="http://s146.photobucket.com/user/908ssp/media/machinework/_1012511_zps52a6eccc.jpg.html" target="_blank">http://i146.photobucket.com/albums/r245/908ssp/machinework/_1012511_zps52a6eccc.jpg</a>
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

<a href="http://s81.photobucket.com/user/anibal999r/media/CARBONSTOCK-1.jpg.html" target="_blank">http://i81.photobucket.com/albums/j203/anibal999r/CARBONSTOCK-1.jpg</a>

<a href="http://s81.photobucket.com/user/anibal999r/media/CARBONSTOCK-3.jpg.html" target="_blank">http://i81.photobucket.com/albums/j203/anibal999r/CARBONSTOCK-3.jpg</a>

<a href="http://s81.photobucket.com/user/anibal999r/media/CARBONSTOCK-2.jpg.html" target="_blank">http://i81.photobucket.com/albums/j203/anibal999r/CARBONSTOCK-2.jpg</a>

My 308.
<a href="http://s146.photobucket.com/user/908ssp/media/machinework/_1012511_zps52a6eccc.jpg.html" target="_blank">http://i146.photobucket.com/albums/r245/908ssp/machinework/_1012511_zps52a6eccc.jpg</a>

The "bars" you are talking about is going to be machined out of a .2" sheet of carbon fiber and only serves the purpose of reinforcing the butt. The carbon tube by itself is strong enough to take all the other factors.

The stock as pictured weighs 3 oz. How much does that lancer weigh?
Link Posted: 8/9/2014 11:56:33 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:

The "bars" you are talking about is going to be machined out of a .2" sheet of carbon fiber and only serves the purpose of reinforcing the butt. The carbon tube by itself is strong enough to take all the other factors.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

My 308.

I really don't see your design breaking under "normal use" obviously if you decided to use it as a Taliban skull crusher then yes, but not under normal conditions. I say go for it.
Link Posted: 8/10/2014 9:03:23 AM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

My 308.

Machining carbon fiber stock is exactly the wrong way to use carbon fiber. I am not criticizing you only trying to explain that carbon is not a replacement for aluminum or magnesium. Making that butt from magnesium would be a better use of material. Carbon is fibrous and raw edges will break up, It is also porous so your butt stock will have to be clear coated so that the edges don't soak up chemicals which can leave it weakened. Carbon gets its strength from have long continuous fibers bonded to other long continuous fibers, machining a web work into a sheet defeats all that. Much better to mold that as a flat sheet without the holes. Yes the tube part will be fine maybe making the butt part from nylon that is flexible and light and won't crack or break up over time.
Link Posted: 8/10/2014 11:35:23 AM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:

Machining carbon fiber stock is exactly the wrong way to use carbon fiber. I am not criticizing you only trying to explain that carbon is not a replacement for aluminum or magnesium. Making that butt from magnesium would be a better use of material. Carbon is fibrous and raw edges will break up, It is also porous so your butt stock will have to be clear coated so that the edges don't soak up chemicals which can leave it weakened. Carbon gets its strength from have long continuous fibers bonded to other long continuous fibers, machining a web work into a sheet defeats all that. Much better to mold that as a flat sheet without the holes. Yes the tube part will be fine maybe making the butt part from nylon that is flexible and light and won't crack or break up over time.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

My 308.

I understand what you are saying but I want it all made from carbon fiber. I use special milling cutters to cut the carbon fiber that stop it from breaking up the edges. it will be stronger than most polymer stocks out there and that's good enough for me. Clear coating it is not a problem as I already have it on hand.

You did give me an idea about using a tube, I'll post up the design later.
Link Posted: 8/10/2014 11:47:43 AM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:

View Quote

if you make more than you need, let me know.
Link Posted: 8/10/2014 12:10:19 PM EDT
[#47]
Skeletonize the K2 and put it back on! Those k Grips are tiny.
Link Posted: 8/10/2014 12:13:59 PM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:
Skeletonize the K2 and put it back on! Those k Grips are tiny.
View Quote

Dont think i havent thought about it! lol I hate the skinny grip myself. I just dont want it to look all holly.
Link Posted: 8/12/2014 12:58:19 AM EDT
[#49]
Just stumbled upon this..

Amazing, Scarr.  You must be some kind of wizard.
Link Posted: 8/12/2014 1:29:15 AM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:

View Quote

Well - you can always glue some Legos to the top, they're nice & round & closely fit a mil-spec tube.  They're ABS plastic, however, so w/ the 2-part epoxy it might add some weight.

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 3
Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top