Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 8/4/2014 7:02:39 PM EDT
I decided that my first custom built bayonet wasn't long enough to REALLY piss off the liberals, so I present Bayonet 2.0.

A 11.5" double edged blade. I cut up a donor bayonet and a U.S. M7 (for the mounting hardware) and here is the result...

Link Posted: 8/4/2014 7:37:02 PM EDT
[#1]
Sweet!
Link Posted: 8/4/2014 7:42:59 PM EDT
[#2]
Is that a 14.5 or a 16 barrel,  and if 16 how long is the grip of the bayonet. Btw looks good
Link Posted: 8/4/2014 8:44:05 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Is that a 14.5 or a 16 barrel,  and if 16 how long is the grip of the bayonet. Btw looks good
View Quote

14.5" with a Permanently attached Phantom flash suppressor. It would be as easy to make it for a 16" barrel.
Link Posted: 8/4/2014 10:40:18 PM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:
14.5" with a Permanently attached Phantom flash suppressor. It would be as easy to make it for a 16" barrel.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

I've got a buck phrobis for a 14.5 but have been wanting one for my 16" guns, I just dont know how it would look with such a long handle I thought the paracord wrap might make it look shorter.

Link Posted: 8/5/2014 12:07:31 AM EDT
[#5]
what was the donor?
Link Posted: 8/5/2014 12:19:20 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
what was the donor?
View Quote

Swiss K31 Bayonet, UBER quality!
Link Posted: 8/5/2014 1:04:59 AM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

what was the donor?

Too rich for my blood LOL Maybe I will practice on a cheap one

EDIT> found one under $50 might give it a go. I wish i had a bunch of ar bayonettes to hack up
Link Posted: 8/5/2014 1:18:55 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
what was the donor?

How much if you were to want to make another and sell it?
Link Posted: 9/13/2014 11:54:29 PM EDT
[#9]
Just ordered the stuff to hopefully make one of these I will update if all goes smoothly
Link Posted: 9/14/2014 12:14:32 PM EDT
[#10]
Looks good pursuit!! Better than the first one too.
Link Posted: 9/14/2014 1:23:46 PM EDT
[#11]
More pictures of the how to version would be wonderful.
Link Posted: 9/14/2014 2:18:06 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
More pictures of the how to version would be wonderful.
View Quote

Sorry, I didn't document the build but here is a more or less step by step...

Remove the grips from the bayonet you are going to use (host)

Cut the handle as far back as possible from the guard

Remove the guard from the host and discard

Set host aside

Remove grips from U.S. M7 bayonet and cut bayonet bayonet CLOSE to guard (doesn't have to be real close)

Remove guard and SAVE!!!

Now, begin shaping the handle so it is the same size as the M7 handle (this is the metal under the grips)

You need to shape the handle to where it will allow the the M7 guard will slide up to the blade but will fit fairly tightly.

Once you have fitted the guard, you then need to determine the EXACT length the handle needs to be to fit correctly between the bayonet lug and the muzzle device. I attach the lug portion of the M7 and then hold the guard on the blade, slide it over the muzzle device and mark where to cut the handle to be welded.

Then cut the handle of the bayonet (s) to where you are going to weld them. I try to have the weld at mid point so the heat is away from the blade and away from the springs on the lug attachment

Slide the guard on and MAKE SURE it's oriented correctly.

Then weld the two sections together.

I use an Oxy Acetylene, if you have access to a MIG it would probably be better.

Wrap the handle with your choice of Paracord.
Link Posted: 9/19/2014 12:26:52 AM EDT
[#13]
Ok I bought a Swiss SIG Stgw57 Bayonet and a donor m7 bayonet. I just got them today and it may take a week or 2 before I can get to this project but it looks to be a rather straight forward transformation to the ar platform.

The things that hopefully will make this easy.

1 the hand guard has a very similar sized hole for the flash hider and it looks like it is in the correct distance to mount without modification

2. the mount to the rifle removes easily and is threaded on

3 the threaded tang should make mounting the extension and ar mount straight forward (crosses fingers)
Link Posted: 9/19/2014 11:20:08 AM EDT
[#14]

I was thinking about getting one of those 16" reproduction M1 Bayonet's, and attempt to modify  it to work with the AR15/M16 Bayonet Lug.

I would end up with a bayonet that's longer then the 14.5" barrel (A2X pinned & welded) it would hang on.  Probably be pretty heavy too.

Link Posted: 9/19/2014 3:00:32 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

I was thinking about getting one of those 16" reproduction M1 Bayonet's, and attempt to modify  it to work with the AR15/M16 Bayonet Lug.

I would end up with a bayonet that's longer then the 14.5" barrel (A2X pinned & welded) it would hang on.  Probably be pretty heavy too.

View Quote

I have one, it would be a little much for the AR platform.

One benefit of the bayonet I went with is it's fairly light.
Link Posted: 9/20/2014 9:37:23 AM EDT
[#16]
Nice work, Pursuit.  Its a little known fact that US Army bayonets, starting with the Krag rifle through the 10" M1 bayonet of WWII, were patterned after the Swiss models.  The attachment hardware was different, but the blades, grips and guards are nearly identical.  By the time US forces went to war in Korea, the brass had dropped the idea of a dedicated bayonet and substituted "bayonet-knife" designs.  

An M16 with a 20" barrel actually has a pretty good reach for bayonet fightinhg, but suffers from a lack of a bayonet with a long, light blade like yours.  Another little known fact is a Geneva Convention clause (the Law of Land Warfare) that prohibits bayonets with more than two sharpened edges.  The Swiss preferred double edged bayonets, but for some reason did not require troopers to sharpen them.  Current US forces however, insist on razor sharp bayonets, probably because of their primary use as belt knives.  - CW
Link Posted: 9/20/2014 10:52:17 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
Nice work, Pursuit.  Its a little known fact that US Army bayonets, starting with the Krag rifle through the 10" M1 bayonet of WWII, were patterned after the Swiss models.  The attachment hardware was different, but the blades, grips and guards are nearly identical.  By the time US forces went to war in Korea, the brass had dropped the idea of a dedicated bayonet and substituted "bayonet-knife" designs.  

An M16 with a 20" barrel actually has a pretty good reach for bayonet fightinhg, but suffers from a lack of a bayonet with a long, light blade like yours.  Another little known fact is a Geneva Convention clause (the Law of Land Warfare) that prohibits bayonets with more than two sharpened edges.  The Swiss preferred double edged bayonets, but for some reason did not require troopers to sharpen them.  Current US forces however, insist on razor sharp bayonets, probably because of their primary use as belt knives.  - CW
View Quote

Didn't know ANY of what you listed. Thanks for the information.

Bayonet 1.0 was an FN 49 blade, double edged but NOT sharp.

Bayonet 2.0 is a Swiss K31 bayonet blade and came VERY sharp
Link Posted: 9/20/2014 1:03:07 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

View Quote

Having been issued an M-9 bayonet on my first deployment, I know for a fact that getting one of those beasts to razor sharpness would be a challenge, as the blade is so thick and the bevel has such a steep angle.  As an M-7 owner, I prefer it over the M-9, as the 9 is a huge, cumbersome hog.  I think the M-9 was designed to have the weight of the blade, pushed by the swing, chop through the target, more like an axe than cut through like a sword.
Link Posted: 9/20/2014 1:16:31 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

Having been issued an M-9 bayonet on my first deployment, I know for a fact that getting one of those beasts to razor sharpness would be a challenge, as the blade is so thick and the bevel has such a steep angle.  As an M-7 owner, I prefer it over the M-9, as the 9 is a huge, cumbersome hog.  I think the M-9 was designed to have the weight of the blade, pushed by the swing, chop through the target, more like an axe than cut through like a sword.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

To be honest, if a situation occurred, the bayonet would not be going with me.

I know they are good for crowd control (riots, civil unrest, etc) but in today's world I'll convert that weight to more ammo.

I'm into bayonets because the .gov thinks I shouldn't have them.
Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top