BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
80% Jigs Summary (Page 3 of 5)
Page / 5
Link Posted: 9/17/2015 9:24:56 PM EDT
[#1]
A little grinding or milling in the right spots, many of these jigs will work with a lot more lower designs.

Link Posted: 10/23/2015 5:21:23 PM EDT
[#2]
More answers to your 80% questions.
Link Posted: 11/28/2015 11:50:32 AM EDT
[#3]
Bump
Link Posted: 11/28/2015 12:19:34 PM EDT
[Last Edit: ModulusArms] [#4]
Link Posted: 11/29/2015 12:33:10 AM EDT
[#5]
My vote is for tactical machining for the 80% lower and the jig. I've used them both and they're great. I also like their upper receivers.
I use just a 1/4" center cutting end mill bit I got from Brownells.
XY vise from harbor freight
My drill press
.154 drill bits from Amazon
Safety selector hole drill bit I already had.

Wahlah, finished lower.

For buying an 80% lower, jig, and a stripped upper receiver, I could not find a better deal than tactical machining. No problems with any of it.
Link Posted: 1/6/2016 2:08:14 AM EDT
[#6]
Hello medicmandan,

I am the new Head of Sales and Operations for BTR Innovation LLC (we have undergone significant restructuring over the last 2 months and are no longer affiliated with FPS Products).

First of all, thank you for providing such a comprehensive list of jig sets for 80% lowers!

Just to update you and those interested in the thread, BTR Innovation Jig Sets for AR-15 80% Lowers are now $54.99 + s&h on our website www.btrinnovation.com (hint: some distributors may sell our product for less), we also sell replacement parts and have free instructions for download.

Additionally, we have bulk pricing for distributors.

Finally, we include drill bits for users with drill presses and our jigs are made out of high quality aluminum.

I hope this helps you and others!

-BTR Innovation
Link Posted: 1/6/2016 3:21:02 AM EDT
[Last Edit: K1rodeoboater] [#7]

Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By BTR_Innovation_LLC:

View Quote

You should edit your post and remove pretty much all of it or you're not gonna last long around here.  You're not a paying vendor (AKA Industry Partner) yet, so advertising like you just did is a big no-no and clearly stated in the forums Code of Conduct which you should have read when you registered for an account.

Link Posted: 1/13/2016 3:36:16 PM EDT
[#8]
Originally Posted By ModulusArms:
I see a lot of mention of drill bushings. We just released an All New Heavy-Duty AR-15 Jig with solid steel components. This includes the side plates, drill guide and router template.
View Quote

I just received mine yesterday.  It looks as good in person as the pictures.  It has a very solid feel with the new steel side plates and the design has a few improvements like the larger router surface compared to the original Modulus jig. I am looking forward to finishing a couple lowers with it soon.
Link Posted: 1/13/2016 6:19:49 PM EDT
[#9]
Originally Posted By SoftwareJanitor:
I just received mine yesterday.  It looks as good in person as the pictures.  It has a very solid feel with the new steel side plates and the design has a few improvements like the larger router surface compared to the original Modulus jig. I am looking forward to finishing a couple lowers with it soon.
View Quote

I'm glad that you are pleased with it. Be sure to keep us updated with your progress as you finish off your lower
Link Posted: 1/14/2016 3:07:34 PM EDT
[#10]
Originally Posted By maxxx93:

I'm glad that you are pleased with it. Be sure to keep us updated with your progress as you finish off your lower
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes

I'm hoping to have time over the weekend.
Link Posted: 3/6/2016 5:39:35 PM EDT
[#11]
BTT To keep out of Archives
Link Posted: 3/6/2016 8:21:06 PM EDT
[#12]

View All Quotes

I've now done several lowers with the HD jig and it is great.  I still have a few more to do but I've got no doubt they will go smoothly as I have been getting better and faster as I've gotten more experience.
Link Posted: 3/16/2016 11:33:50 PM EDT
[#13]
Link Posted: 4/10/2016 10:20:09 PM EDT
[#14]
Link Posted: 4/27/2016 6:03:29 PM EDT
[#15]
Link Posted: 4/28/2016 10:01:00 PM EDT
[#16]
I bought a VytaminC jig when TM was out of stock. Fits TM lowers to a T!  Drill bushings on both sides.
Link Posted: 4/29/2016 12:54:23 PM EDT
[#17]

I think you mentioned you got a Speed Drill in another thread. How has it been working out for you?
View All Quotes

I've now done several lowers with the HD jig and it is great.  I still have a few more to do but I've got no doubt they will go smoothly as I have been getting better and faster as I've gotten more experience.

I think you mentioned you got a Speed Drill in another thread. How has it been working out for you?

The speed drill kit works great.  Definitely saves time as the smaller bit goes in easy and then the 3/8" goes in the pre-drilled hole like drilling into butter.  I also like that there is a lot less likelihood of wear to the jig when using the speed drill kit as the initial hole drill doesn't touch the jig at all and the final 3/8 goes in so easy and is guided by the existing hole so that it is highly unlikely it will wear the jig at all.  It is definitely a worthwhile tool.
Link Posted: 5/25/2016 4:23:05 PM EDT
[#18]
Link Posted: 6/5/2016 4:21:22 PM EDT
[#19]
... just a bit of information overload at the moment but good thread...
Link Posted: 6/13/2016 1:55:06 AM EDT
[#20]
I have 5 receivers.  I'm looking for a jig with bushings on both sides and bits, everything to do all 5 at one time. We're doing this as a family project.  What would you suggest?  I see some I like for $150-$200 but do I have to spend that much?
Link Posted: 6/13/2016 2:06:06 AM EDT
[#21]
Originally Posted By BlackdogGS:
I have 5 receivers.  I'm looking for a jig with bushings on both sides and bits, everything to do all 5 at one time. We're doing this as a family project.  What would you suggest?  I see some I like for $150-$200 but do I have to spend that much?
View Quote

I've done more than 5 with my Modulus Universal HD jig and their tooling set.  The entire side plates are steel as are the milling and drilling templates for the top.  Especially if you use it with their Speed Drill Kit I think the jig could easily do dozens of lowers.  It isn't cheap, but in my opinion it is about the best you can get, and worth it, especially if you are doing a bunch of lowers.

FWIW, you could easily do your 5 lowers and then sell the used jig and tooling on EE and recoup most of your investment.
Link Posted: 6/13/2016 9:26:42 AM EDT
[#22]

I've done more than 5 with my Modulus Universal HD jig and their tooling set.  The entire side plates are steel as are the milling and drilling templates for the top.  Especially if you use it with their Speed Drill Kit I think the jig could easily do dozens of lowers.  It isn't cheap, but in my opinion it is about the best you can get, and worth it, especially if you are doing a bunch of lowers.

FWIW, you could easily do your 5 lowers and then sell the used jig and tooling on EE and recoup most of your investment.
View All Quotes

Good to hear. I didn't want to pay that much but I think I would appreciate the high quality.  I'll look for a used one first.  If I don't find one I'll sell mine after I'm done.
Link Posted: 6/17/2016 1:37:11 PM EDT
[#23]
Great- info thanks for putting together, exactly what I was looking for.
Link Posted: 6/20/2016 9:51:36 PM EDT
[#24]
Ordered the Modulus for $179.00 plus got the lower for $39.00. I have few other 80% lowers that I have been picking up so this should be fun!!
Link Posted: 6/20/2016 11:49:49 PM EDT
[#25]

Good to hear. I didn't want to pay that much but I think I would appreciate the high quality.  I'll look for a used one first.  If I don't find one I'll sell mine after I'm done.
View All Quotes

Sounds like a plan!
Link Posted: 6/20/2016 11:52:29 PM EDT
[#26]
Originally Posted By wtjosaas:
Ordered the Modulus for $179.00 plus got the lower for $39.00. I have few other 80% lowers that I have been picking up so this should be fun!!
View Quote

I can tell you from experience...  IT IS FUN!  I love DIY projects and completing 80% lowers is a particularly rewarding one.  Since doing AR lowers I have also now done one of the new Polymer 80 Spectre PF940 80% Glock compatible frames.  I am wanting to do an 80% 10/22 compatible and a 1911 now...
Link Posted: 6/21/2016 9:11:38 AM EDT
[#27]
Link Posted: 6/21/2016 11:38:10 AM EDT
[#28]
Originally Posted By PursuitSS:

Did you find installing the pins into the Spectre frame extremely tight?
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By PursuitSS:

Since doing AR lowers I have also now done one of the new Polymer 80 Spectre PF940 80% Glock compatible frames.

Did you find installing the pins into the Spectre frame extremely tight?

Yes.  I had to use a roll pin starter and hammer them in with a punch.  And that was after running the drill bit all the way through and in and out several times from each side.

The good news I guess is that I have faith that they probably aren't coming out until I hammer them out.
Link Posted: 6/25/2016 4:49:32 PM EDT
[#29]
Let the fun begin!!!!!

Link Posted: 6/26/2016 7:48:39 PM EDT
[#30]
Originally Posted By wtjosaas:
Let the fun begin!!!!!
View Quote

Welcome to the 80% club!
Link Posted: 6/27/2016 11:28:16 AM EDT
[#31]
I have purchased an inexpensive, but quality drill press, and I have gathered all the other materials to create my 80% lower. I am confused about some procedures however.
I have watched many videos and often a variety of information concerning how deep to drill comes up. Often the information can also be somewhat incomplete. Even the instructions for the jig that I purchased
has some information that seems a little confusing. I do have a factory lower that I can measure and maybe figure this all out, but it would seem that this would be the type of information that would be
very standard. It often seems to not be the case. Have to get the micrometer out and spend an evening carefully charting all the measurements. It's the kind of thing that pretty much has to be done right the first time.
Link Posted: 6/27/2016 11:53:46 AM EDT
[Last Edit: Baldtrucker] [#32]
What kind of jig ? Most 80 percent lowers only need the fire control group milled. And that should be 1.249. I went a little shallow and finished the last  .10"-.05" or so with a router to avoid dimpling.
Link Posted: 6/27/2016 12:45:12 PM EDT
[#33]
Originally Posted By chrislind2:
I have purchased an inexpensive, but quality drill press, and I have gathered all the other materials to create my 80% lower. I am confused about some procedures however.
I have watched many videos and often a variety of information concerning how deep to drill comes up. Often the information can also be somewhat incomplete. Even the instructions for the jig that I purchased
has some information that seems a little confusing. I do have a factory lower that I can measure and maybe figure this all out, but it would seem that this would be the type of information that would be
very standard. It often seems to not be the case. Have to get the micrometer out and spend an evening carefully charting all the measurements. It's the kind of thing that pretty much has to be done right the first time.
View Quote

Ours comes with a depth gauge to precisely measure depths of cut.

HD Jig
Link Posted: 6/27/2016 2:55:48 PM EDT
[#34]
Originally Posted By chrislind2:
View Quote

Here's plenty of measurements and specs to get you from 0% to 100%  

80% Milling Info

Most of that was geared around those with access to a mill, but I linked my Google docs in there too for even more specs.  
Link Posted: 6/27/2016 3:33:07 PM EDT
[#35]
I bought a Stealth Arms jig. It is on the simplistic side. Cheaper that way I suppose. I think it will do what I want though.
I cut some small wood dowels to 1.249 and 1.3 something, forgot what the second one was. Then marked the side of the jig with a punch.
Just have to get a feel for all this. Going to be a challenge, but that makes it more interesting. I'm sure I can figure it out.
Link Posted: 6/27/2016 4:43:33 PM EDT
[#36]
http://www.ebay.com/itm/like/111921433587?lpid=82&chn=ps&ul_ref=http%253A%252F%252Frover.ebay.com%252Frover%252F1%252F711-117182-37290-0%252F2%253Fmtid%253D1588%2526kwid%253D1%2526crlp%253D106257316689_324272%2526itemid%253D111921433587%2526targetid%253D185522253849%2526rpc%253D0.19%2526rpc_upld_id%253D72360%2526device%253Dm%2526mpre%253Dhttp%25253A%25252F%25252Fwww.ebay.com%25252Fulk%25252Fitm%25252Flike%25252F111921433587%25253Flpid%25253D82%252526chn%25253Dps%2526adtype%253Dpla%2526googleloc%253D9031442%2526poi%253D%2526campaignid%253D601965268%2526adgroupid%253D31024922649%2526rlsatarget%253Dpla-185522253849%2526gclid%253DCj0KEQjwncO7BRC06snzrdSJyKEBEiQAsUaRjNjrqqFCD4Rl3IBU6w3wE6xrWwqC1w3hxoqNYlqW_o0aAkFY8P8HAQ%2526srcrot%253D711-117182-37290-0%2526rvr_id%253D1053344510606&ul_noapp=true
Link Posted: 6/27/2016 4:45:26 PM EDT
[#37]
Dont know if that link wirks but get some drill bit stops.
Link Posted: 6/27/2016 5:08:39 PM EDT
[#38]
Link Posted: 6/29/2016 5:19:25 PM EDT
[#39]
Sent for some drill stops. Think I will drill the holes on the side tonight. That should be easy enough. Start on the rest when I get those drill stops.
Thanks for all the useful information.
Link Posted: 7/6/2016 11:27:05 AM EDT
[Last Edit: chrislind2] [#40]
Got my drill stops.
Link Posted: 7/10/2016 3:33:21 PM EDT
[Last Edit: chrislind2] [#41]
Drill proceeding well.
Link Posted: 12/14/2016 1:56:02 AM EDT
[#42]
Link Posted: 12/14/2016 4:25:50 PM EDT
[#43]
Originally Posted By 5DTactical:
Can we throw our hat in the ring? :)
View Quote

Interesting.  Similar to the Modulus HD design in some ways but some twists.  It would be interesting to see a review by someone who is familiar with the Modulus HD and/or 80% Easy Jigs.
Link Posted: 12/16/2016 5:29:59 PM EDT
[#44]
Link Posted: 3/12/2017 8:24:37 PM EDT
[#45]
Since I last purchased an 80% lower four years ago lots of businesses appear to have closed shop.

Who currently (March 2017) sells good quality AR-15 80% lowers?  Same question for DPMS 308 80% lowers.

TIA
Link Posted: 3/13/2017 10:20:46 AM EDT
[#46]
I used a Anderson jig for my first 2 and didnt have any problems, but if I decide to do more I will have to get a 5D or Modulus jig.

Also do you guys recommend drilling trigger and safety holes before or after milling the fcg pocket? I have heard people do it both ways but most official instructions have you drill them after, is this for a reason?
Link Posted: 3/13/2017 11:15:41 AM EDT
[#47]
subscribed
Link Posted: 3/13/2017 1:21:06 PM EDT
[Last Edit: DaveP1] [#48]
Originally Posted By Hking:
I used a Anderson jig for my first 2 and didnt have any problems, but if I decide to do more I will have to get a 5D or Modulus jig.

Also do you guys recommend drilling trigger and safety holes before or after milling the fcg pocket? I have heard people do it both ways but most official instructions have you drill them after, is this for a reason?
View Quote

I partially drill my trigger, hammer and safety holes before I start milling the FCG pocket, I go in about 1/4in on each side, then start the milling process, works great and I don't have to worry about drill bit deflection.
Link Posted: 3/13/2017 5:21:10 PM EDT
[#49]
Originally Posted By group8:

Who currently (March 2017) sells good quality AR-15 80% lowers?  Same question for DPMS 308 80% lowers.
View Quote

AR15 80% lowers

308 80% lowers
Link Posted: 3/13/2017 5:38:33 PM EDT
[Last Edit: DaveP1] [#50]
Man,

$44.99 is a good price, but I don't need 11 of them to get that price!

My wife is looking at me like I have lost my mind!!!!!!

Page / 5
80% Jigs Summary (Page 3 of 5)
Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top