Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 8/1/2014 10:46:37 AM EDT
Hi,

I just ordered a KMR handrail to go on my BCM upper (with FSB).
What tools/tool brand/equipment do you recommend to make the installation as painless as possible.

thanks

Blarf
Link Posted: 8/1/2014 11:10:24 AM EDT
[#1]
Vise block set. Soft hammer. Borrow a torque wrench or buy one. That's about it.

Tighten the barrel nut on, slide the rail on almost all the way, place the indexing piece on the rail, use soft hammer on the end of the rail to get it the rest of the way.

Tighten the cross bolts on the rail. Done.

Link Posted: 8/1/2014 9:44:26 PM EDT
[#2]
I heat the end of the hand guard with a hair dryer for about 30 seconds and it helps a lot.  Just installed my second one tonight that I had cerakoted OD.
Link Posted: 8/1/2014 10:54:58 PM EDT
[#3]
After using my tq wrench on the barrel nut, no additional tools besides the allen wrench it came with. Slid the thing on cold by hand, took it off the vise cause it wouldnt clear anyways.
Link Posted: 8/1/2014 11:41:08 PM EDT
[#4]
Im thinking about picking one of these up.  Has anyone NOT used the  indexing piece?  How would it look without it on?  The indexing piece is not a deal breaker for me because it is so small you hardly notice it I was just curious.  

Link Posted: 8/1/2014 11:57:11 PM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Im thinking about picking one of these up.  Has anyone NOT used the  indexing piece?  How would it look without it on?  The indexing piece is not a deal breaker for me because it is so small you hardly notice it I was just curious.  
View Quote

Its really the only way to line it up if youre looking for a practical install. The handguard is literally pressed onto the barrel nut, and its difficult to twist  it once its on. Without that clip/plate, its gonna be a bitch to line up perfectly. If its crooked to the left, there's a chance you'll untorque your barrel nut in the process trying to get it to line up. Use the clip/plate. Its worth it.
Link Posted: 8/2/2014 12:02:14 AM EDT
[#6]
How many forums did you ask this on?  I've seen you on 2 so far
Link Posted: 8/2/2014 3:30:13 AM EDT
[#7]
I hope you got a low pro gas block not a FSB, because it won't fit under the rail. Why wouldn't you want to use the parts supplied with the rail, these guns should be about performance not beauty. That is unless your just building a safe queen that your just gonna show off to your friends.
Link Posted: 8/2/2014 3:31:33 AM EDT
[#8]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
View Quote

The tab serves two purposes, one it helps line the handguard up with the upper and the second is more important. Since the barrel nut is not like a traditional one the gas tube does not stop it from rotating. That's the other role the tab plays, it's for anti rotation.
Link Posted: 8/2/2014 6:15:44 AM EDT
[#9]
I installed mine a few days ago, and I followed the instruction to a T, buy it's my first build and I'm a little weary. Do you think the LGS might double check my work for me?
Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top