Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 7/31/2014 5:56:12 PM EDT
I'm not sure if this would be the correct place to ask this or not, but here it goes. I'm not sure if there are any lawyers here or not, but I'm 19, turning 20 in a week today, so I can't just go out and buy an AR15, or stripped lower. I just bought a rifle kit for my birthday, and my uncle is talking about buying me a stripped lower for my birthday. I'd just like to stay a law-abiding citizen, and not risk having all my gun rights revoked. So is it legal to gift an AR15, or no? I live in MN by the way.. I've searched the web but nothing more than yahoo answers.. And I don't much trust that. Thanks!
Link Posted: 7/31/2014 6:16:29 PM EDT
[#1]
I'm no lawyer but... I'm pretty sure you can have or own a gun, you just can't purchase one.
Link Posted: 7/31/2014 6:24:43 PM EDT
[#2]
Thats what I thought.. Maybe I'll just try to call a lawyer sometime. From everything I've heard/read lately not even a lawyer could keep track.
Link Posted: 7/31/2014 6:26:57 PM EDT
[#3]
I could be wrong, but I think it would have to be gifted by an immediate family member. Like the last poster said, you should be able to own/possess one, just not legally purchase
Link Posted: 7/31/2014 6:47:39 PM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I could be wrong, but I think it would have to be gifted by an immediate family member. Like the last poster said, you should be able to own/possess one, just not legally purchase
View Quote

And you're all incorrect.  It's not illegal to purchase a handgun or lower if you're under 21, it's just illegal for an FFL to sell or transfer you one.

Private sales are OK if you're over 18, and even under 18 with parental permission.
Link Posted: 7/31/2014 7:41:57 PM EDT
[#5]
See the instructions for Question 11a and 11b on the ATF Form 4473:

https://www.atf.gov/files/forms/download/atf-f-4473-1.pdf

You are also the actual transferee if you are legitimately purchasing the firearm as a gift for a third party
View Quote

My mom bought me a G29 when I was 18 and my Dad bought me a 22/45 when I was 19.  Non-issue.
Link Posted: 7/31/2014 9:09:44 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
I'm not sure if this would be the correct place to ask this or not, but here it goes. I'm not sure if there are any lawyers here or not, but I'm 19, turning 20 in a week today, so I can't just go out and buy an AR15, or stripped lower. I just bought a rifle kit for my birthday, and my uncle is talking about buying me a stripped lower for my birthday. I'd just like to stay a law-abiding citizen, and not risk having all my gun rights revoked. So is it legal to gift an AR15, or no? I live in MN by the way.. I've searched the web but nothing more than yahoo answers.. And I don't much trust that. Thanks!
View Quote

You can just go out and buy an AR-15 rifle.  You can't go out & buy a pistol or a stripped lower from a FFL 'til you turn 21.  Anyone in Minnesota other than a FFL can give or sell you any Title 1 firearm - pistol, shotgun, rifle, firearm, or other (stripped lower).  Be nice to your uncle, or learn to run a mill or a welder.
Link Posted: 7/31/2014 9:25:46 PM EDT
[#7]
Can we trade states? You get to purchase an AR through an FFL here, and I get to rip the bullet buttons off of my lowers. Win win
Link Posted: 7/31/2014 10:46:55 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

You can just go out and buy an AR-15 rifle.  You can't go out & buy a pistol or a stripped lower from a FFL 'til you turn 21.  Anyone in Minnesota other than a FFL can give or sell you any Title 1 firearm - pistol, shotgun, rifle, firearm, or other (stripped lower).  Be nice to your uncle, or learn to run a mill or a welder.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

In MN you must be 21 to purchase any configuration of Assault rifle from an FFL. Stupid state law. But you can be gifted and possession is not illegal for someone under 21. I am not sure if FTF transfers were covered in the 21 or over assault weapon law. So I would say if he gifts it you it is fine.
Link Posted: 7/31/2014 10:53:57 PM EDT
[#9]
Geez, and people give us crap b/c we can't OC handguns.
Link Posted: 8/1/2014 1:18:45 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

My mom bought me a G29 when I was 18 and my Dad bought me a 22/45 when I was 19.  Non-issue.
View All Quotes
Quoted:

You are also the actual transferee if you are legitimately purchasing the firearm as a gift for a third party

This.

Or you can discuss with the dealer about screwing in a stock and attaching a barrel to meet the legal requirements on transferring it as a rifle.

It doesn't matter if said barrel and stock is torqued down or duct taped.
Link Posted: 8/1/2014 2:36:40 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

And you're all incorrect.  It's not illegal to purchase a handgun or lower if you're under 21, it's just illegal for an FFL to sell or transfer you one.

Private sales are OK if you're over 18, and even under 18 with parental permission.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Here's your answer.  

The problem is when you try to make sense of firearms laws.
Link Posted: 8/1/2014 3:20:54 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

This.

Or you can discuss with the dealer about screwing in a stock and attaching a barrel to meet the legal requirements on transferring it as a rifle.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

This.

Unless that FFL also has a manufacturing license he'd be breaking the law.
Link Posted: 8/1/2014 3:59:52 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

This.

And the dealer would have to engrave his name on the lower and transfer the lower from the a&d book to their manufacturing a&d book and charge an excise tax for increasing the value. It's not quite as simple as some people think.
Link Posted: 8/1/2014 5:41:25 AM EDT
[#14]
I Know For A Fact I Can't Just Go Out And Buy An Ar Here In Mn. You Need A Permit To Purchase, Or A Cc. I've Tried To Buy A mossberg Cruiser And They Wouldn't Let Me.
Link Posted: 8/1/2014 7:14:28 AM EDT
[#15]
Yes  you may receive it as a gift from a parent or guardian, if you are over 18. idk how that will work with your uncle, unless he is your legal guardian, you could have him give it to your parents to gift to you for your bday.
Link Posted: 8/1/2014 2:36:47 PM EDT
[#16]
Never ask for legal advice on the internet!
Link Posted: 8/2/2014 11:54:40 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
Never ask for legal advice on the internet!
View Quote

^^^^ This!
Call local ATF or State Police and get an answer.
Never ask any legal advice on the internet.
Link Posted: 8/3/2014 3:11:17 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
I Know For A Fact I Can't Just Go Out And Buy An Ar Here In Mn. You Need A Permit To Purchase, Or A Cc. I've Tried To Buy A mossberg Cruiser And They Wouldn't Let Me.
View Quote

Probably because it is a pistol grip only shot gun, which some places won't sell to you unless your 21 (Academy Sports for example).

I'm not sure what all you have to do in your state. Last I checked, MN doesn't require a permit to purchase an AR15.

You do have to be 21 to buy a lower receiver, which will need a permit to purchase.

Anyone can give you a firearm/receiver.
Link Posted: 8/3/2014 6:49:44 AM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

Probably because it is a pistol grip only shot gun, which some no place will sell to you unless your 21 (Academy Sports All FFLs for example).

I'm not sure what all you have to do in your state. Last I checked, MN doesn't require a permit to purchase an AR15.

You do have to be 21 to buy a lower receiver, which will need a permit to purchase.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Probably because it is a pistol grip only shot gun, which some no place will sell to you unless your 21 (Academy Sports All FFLs for example).

Factory pistol grip shotguns are not Federal shotguns, so FFLs cannot sell them to persons under 21.
Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top