Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 7/30/2014 6:17:36 PM EDT
Is it necessary to lube the threads in the lower before installing the buffer tube?
Link Posted: 7/30/2014 6:31:01 PM EDT
[#1]
No.  I've done several and never have...
Link Posted: 7/30/2014 7:27:49 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
View Quote

Just because you have done it without doesn't mean that that's correct.

Yes, you use the same grease that is used for the barrel nut on the receiver extension threads and castle nut.
Link Posted: 7/31/2014 12:59:23 AM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:

Yes, you use the same grease that is used for the barrel nut on the receiver extension threads and castle nut.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Correct, just watch a youtube video if your unsure about something.... You will notice they use lube/grease on just about everything, especially on any threads.
Link Posted: 7/31/2014 3:39:10 AM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:

Correct, just watch a youtube video if your unsure about something.... You will notice they use lube/grease on just about everything, especially on any threads.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I don't.  You will get 50/50 on this.
Link Posted: 7/31/2014 5:09:02 AM EDT
[#5]
What grease? In the video I saw he said some aeroshell brand or something like that
Link Posted: 7/31/2014 5:49:58 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
What grease? In the video I saw he said some aeroshell brand or something like that
View Quote

AeroShell 33MS grease.

You can get small containers of it here. > https://www.ucwrg.com/materiel/miscellaneous-components/18/aeroshell-33ms-grease/

It's currently out of stock though.
Link Posted: 7/31/2014 9:26:13 AM EDT
[#7]
Do they sell this shot at auto parts stores? What is it exactly? Just a grease
Link Posted: 7/31/2014 9:29:33 AM EDT
[#8]
I just use oil... white lithium grease would probably yield the same results.
Link Posted: 7/31/2014 9:35:00 AM EDT
[#9]
The Aeroshell is spec'd by the military because they already had it in the system, not because it is specifically designed or engineered for used in the M16 / M4.   Any grease, or oil will work fine, provided it doesn't contain graphite.   The purpose of using a lubricant on threads is to allow the fastener to be better pre-loaded for a given torque value without galling the aluminum or damaging the anodized surface layer which would  give opportunity for galvanic corrosion between the aluminum buffer tube and steel castle nut.

In this application it is probably not necessary, but it cannot hurt.   It will make dissassembly easier later, especially if the rifle is used in harsh environments.

Link Posted: 7/31/2014 11:50:40 AM EDT
[#10]
Yes. I use Q-tip soaked in WD-40 or Motor Oil and dab the threads.
Link Posted: 7/31/2014 4:17:17 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I'd be careful about relying on a youtube video for proper.... anything.
Link Posted: 7/31/2014 5:33:17 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

This is so true, I have yet to see a receiver extension installed correctly in a YouTube video.

Just because some type of grease was used does not mean that every other part of the installation was done correctly.
Link Posted: 7/31/2014 9:34:46 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

This is so true, I have yet to see a receiver extension installed correctly in a YouTube video.

Just because some type of grease was used does not mean that every other part of the installation was done correctly.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

While I agree the Youtube videos are helpful to those firt time builders that are scared to ruin their lower or make a stupid mistake, of course info from this thread is morehelpful, some people find watching a video more helpful because it shows the actual building of the lower.
Link Posted: 8/1/2014 5:04:43 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Really I watched the lower build video linked in the build it yourself forum nz85 or something or other put the video together and I was gonna use it to aid in my build. I don't wanna put the extension on wrong and I will be removing it after testing to install a reciever end plate with a sling attach point
Link Posted: 8/1/2014 5:08:09 AM EDT
[#15]
nsz85. Step by step lower build looked well put together
Link Posted: 8/1/2014 8:02:54 AM EDT
[#16]
haven't seen that video, but that dude nsz85 goes to a lot of trouble to make his vids and I don't think he'll steer you wrong.
Link Posted: 8/1/2014 8:24:31 AM EDT
[#17]
Yes, use a moly based lube compatible with aluminum/steel.
The TM says to use mil-spec barrel assembly grease then torque to spec.
Fixed stock = torque the RE.
Collapsible stock = torque the nut.
Link Posted: 8/1/2014 8:38:33 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
Really I watched the lower build video linked in the build it yourself forum nz85 or something or other put the video together and I was gonna use it to aid in my build. I don't wanna put the extension on wrong and I will be removing it after testing to install a reciever end plate with a sling attach point
View Quote

I watched that nsz85 video and I will say that the vast majority of people assemble their lowers in that way and it seems to work for them.

Though that is not how it is done in the Colt factory which is impossible for most people to replicate... Main difference being Colt's use of custom jigs, arbor presses and torque specs.
Link Posted: 8/1/2014 9:16:01 AM EDT
[#19]
Thanks for all the help brothers.
Link Posted: 8/1/2014 9:53:55 AM EDT
[#20]
And the purpose of the grease is?

I never use it and have had zero issues.  

Aluminum in aluminum with a steel locking ring.  If anything, MAYBE anit-seize.
Link Posted: 8/1/2014 12:04:26 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

View Quote

Any threaded assembly that has a torque spec usually requires grease so that the parts won't seize up before that torque spec is reached.

It's also easier to disassemble the parts in case there ever is a need to.
Link Posted: 8/1/2014 4:49:47 PM EDT
[#22]
Grease is used to prevent things like galling and to repeatable achieve the clamping force needed to fasten parts together.
Most anti-seize products contain graphite which is known to be incompatible with aluminum.
The torque specs in the TM are based on the presence of mil-spec moly grease.
Actually Aeroshell is not spec’d by the military (directly anyway).
Bids are put out for grease that meets the mil-spec.
The successful bidder may be Shell, Royce, or whomever.
Whoever spec’d the grease choose an existing aluminum compatible mil-spec grease that was in the system.
They could have chosen an automotive grease used in the motor pool.
Presumably they choose the aircraft grease instead of the automotive grease for a reason.
Link Posted: 8/1/2014 6:32:13 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

View Quote

Yup, per the first response I made on this thread.....like someone said, your gonna get 50/50 here......do you NEED lube, NO.  But you can sure rely on youtube all you want....
Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top