Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 7/29/2014 10:11:47 PM EDT
First off, my experience with AR-15s is only what I have used in the military, and one AR-15 owned personally. I decided to build a blackout pistol. I noticed Damage Industries on Ar15news.com, and their sale for Memorial day weekend. I decided to purchase a BCG for the first part in my build.

My first question was the stamping, but the BCG has an X-ray not MPI tested so no markings. My second question was regarding the staking. It appeared weak.

He assured me that the Bolt Carrier Groups are made by a third party for DPMS, and the staking is fine. He stated that if I wanted he would issue an RMA shipping at my cost of course. I took his word for it went on ordering the rest of my build. I took it out to the range last week. I removed the Bolt Carrier Group to swab the barrel, and lube the BCG. I noticed they used a straight pin instead of the typical cotter pin. So if the BCG is tilted at all the pin falls out.

Notice how the firing pin is not Chrome, it has some other finish to it.

I also noticed that the straight pin and bolt assembly appears to have the finish removed in areas.

I contacted Damage Industries of yet more concerns of the BCG. Customer Service notified me that I was out of their 30-day policy, and since I had used the BCG (approximately 40 rounds) it was no longer considered new so there is nothing they can do. I should have reacted in a timely manner.

Customer Service was right, the BCG does function properly.  I guess I should have just spent the money to send it back when I initially didn't like the quality. Now that customer service is non-existed I'm taking it personally making me very disappointed.

This is the only part of my build I regret. My objective is to inform other future builders of their quality and other choices. Prior to my build I researched parts and did not see anyone review a BCG from Damage Industries so I hope this helps. Buy a BCG from another company if you want a better value.

Please also tell me if I'm out of place on this, but I just feel I got an inferior product and customer service.

Link Posted: 7/29/2014 10:23:58 PM EDT
[#1]
Just an FYI but that is how the firing pin should look.

Also, the FPRP is fine as well although maybe not "mil-spec".
Link Posted: 7/29/2014 10:34:59 PM EDT
[#2]
I've never had one of those style firing pin pins, but don't you just bend out the retaining tabs a tiny bit to make it fit tighter?

I'm at a loss to what's wrong with anything you're talking about?
Link Posted: 7/29/2014 11:08:57 PM EDT
[#3]
Firing pin looks chromed to me.  Hard chrome isn't nearly as shiny as the stuff they put on bumpers.  Staking looks fine too.
Link Posted: 7/29/2014 11:28:04 PM EDT
[#4]
FPRP history.  Sorry, on tablet.

More Info

ETA: Made link hot since on PC now.
Link Posted: 7/30/2014 12:15:57 AM EDT
[#5]
Everything looks good to me. The firing pin retainer pin is actually considered an "upgrade" by many. I think KNS sells them.
Link Posted: 7/30/2014 9:05:26 AM EDT
[#6]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History

Good info.  Thanks.
Link Posted: 7/30/2014 10:31:30 AM EDT
[#7]
Thanks for the feedback. I did state that the staking seems fine. I questioned it in the first place as it wasn't as deep of a stake as I have seen in others. The more concerning part of the finishes. If it is already coming off what is going to happen later. Look at the bolt, that brown area is not consistent with the rest of the finish. The finish is already coming off near the extractor area as well.
Link Posted: 7/30/2014 10:41:46 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
Thanks for the feedback. I did state that the staking seems fine. I questioned it in the first place as it wasn't as deep of a stake as I have seen in others. The more concerning part of the finishes. If it is already coming off what is going to happen later. Look at the bolt, that brown area is not consistent with the rest of the finish. The finish is already coming off near the extractor area as well.
View Quote

How much experience do you have with building AR15's?
Link Posted: 7/30/2014 10:50:05 AM EDT
[#9]
Your firing pin retaining pin is not holding in place probably, from looking at the pictures, bent inwards where the two tangs are. As for bending the tangs, from what the TM says you are not supposed to. Also due to not being 100% certain, I would see if a cotter pin style FPRP can be used if your not satisfied with using the original style FPRP. As mentioned already, your firing pin looks like every other chrome firing pin out there. As for the wear marks on the carrier, and FPRP; this is going to happen due to metal on metal friction. Especially, the carrier due to the upper receiver is anodized which is a layer of aluminum oxide (which is close to the toughness of diamond).

I do not see where Damage Industries is off base with not being able to accept a return on the bcg being fired, and past their product return period. Since you said the bcg properly functions, and they offered to take it back as you stated. Also, their Memorial Day Sale was 25% off from what I remember; so you received a considerable discount. That bcg ended up being around $93 if my calculations are right.

As for the "buyer beware" warning, I would not be able to agree.
Link Posted: 7/30/2014 10:54:06 AM EDT
[#10]
Looks good to me.
Link Posted: 7/30/2014 10:55:56 AM EDT
[#11]
You bought a $87 BCG and it functions perfectly fine. I don't get why you say "buyer beware." You should look up ICE Arms if you want to hear some real horror stories.
Link Posted: 7/30/2014 11:32:48 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
Everything looks good to me. The firing pin retainer pin is actually considered an "upgrade" by many. I think KNS sells them.
View Quote

I believe the pin is a DPMS pin, it doesn't have the "bump" on each projection. The KNS unit is a slightly different design (better).
Link Posted: 7/30/2014 1:11:59 PM EDT
[#13]
The only thing that jumps out at me as odd is the angle of the side of the bolt carrier.  I've not seen one that was angled like that.  Usually they're rounded, aren't they?  The discoloration on the back of the bolt is fouling and is pretty normal.  The back of my "high end" BCM bolt looks similar.  I wouldn't sweat it if it works.  The FPRP probably won't be able to work it's way out in the action anyway, so being loose doesn't strike me as a big deal.  I'd bend the tabs out on the end though, just to keep it from falling out accidentally.
Link Posted: 7/30/2014 1:25:53 PM EDT
[#14]
Are there any manufacturer markings on the bolt under the extractor or in the groove on the bottom rear of the carrier?
Link Posted: 7/30/2014 1:27:24 PM EDT
[#15]
Thank you for your responses, as I stated in the original post, I have not built many ARs and was looking to see if I was out of line.

I am confused on the retainer pin, I would imagine it is okay to bend the tabs, but some of you say not to. Can I or not? It will not fall out in the weapon, but would be very easy to loose in the field when I want to swab the barrel.

Firing pin enough said, it doesn't have the chrome coating I have see on any of the other BCGs I have seen. Maybe the picture doesn't show it well, or maybe it is just another acceptable coating.

Bolt carrier, the brown is not fouling as I noticed it prior to firing it.

As you stated it does work, I mentioned a few concerns. I was alright about everything till I spoke with their customer service so maybe I was a bit riled up. I'm still not completely happy as the overall quality does not feel the same as BCGs in my other ARs, but it does function and that is the main thing. thanks to all who have replied.
Link Posted: 7/30/2014 1:33:56 PM EDT
[#16]
I have not noticed any markings of any kind. I have not taken out the extractor, but I can to see if there are markings on there after work today.
Link Posted: 7/30/2014 3:02:33 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

I am confused on the retainer pin, I would imagine it is okay to bend the tabs, but some of you say not to. Can I or not? It will not fall out in the weapon, but would be very easy to loose in the field when I want to swab the barrel.

View Quote

I'd just replace it with a standard firing pin retaining pin, what you have is the style that the EARLY M-16's used.  

Link Posted: 7/30/2014 3:06:27 PM EDT
[#18]
I still wouldn't be worried about discoloration on the tail of the bolt.  Could be from test firing, could just be a texture/finish difference.  All of mine either had or have developed some discoloration and/or buildup on that part of the bolt.  You can't see if very well here because it's filthy, but it's there.

edit:

Replacement firing pin retainer:

https://dsgarms.com/armeb0010

$0.85 + $6.20 shipping.  

The Citizen's Armory is usually better on shipping, but they're out of stock.  I'm going to pick up a handful next time I place an order from somewhere that stocks them or the next time I'm at a gun show.  That's one part I don't have in my spare parts box.

edit2:  Also, here is a pic of a FN BCG I bought a while back but ended up selling to someone else.  For comparison, no discoloration on the bolt though.
Link Posted: 7/31/2014 7:03:35 AM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
View Quote

I would not recommend trying to bend the tabs on the solid FPRP.  I tried that.  Once.  One tab broke right off.  No matter how loose it is, it can't fall out while the BCG is installed in the rifle.

One of the good points of the M16/AR15 platform is toolless disassembly.  No need to carry around a wrench to pull the gas plug or take the rifle down for cleaning.

One cartridge is all you need.  Anything that's tight can be pushed out with the point of a bullet..
Link Posted: 7/31/2014 7:27:53 AM EDT
[#20]
If you IM me your address, I'd be happy to send you a replacement firing pin retainer
Link Posted: 7/31/2014 9:18:34 AM EDT
[#21]
Ive had no issues, quality, inexpensive and fast shipping. I got all my packages in or around 3 days.
Link Posted: 7/31/2014 11:03:18 AM EDT
[#22]
Once again thank you for all the replies, I guess this is also a lesson learned on the difference in price ranges for a BCG. Bottom line is that they all function, some are MPI tested, and the rest are variations in the finishes is from what I have gathered so far.

Does this about sum it up?
Link Posted: 7/31/2014 11:08:26 AM EDT
[#23]
FWIW, that bolt looks fine to me.  also, AIM has BCG's for $79 that are GTG
Link Posted: 9/21/2014 1:44:07 PM EDT
[#24]

Quoted:

Thank you for your responses, as I stated in the original post, I have not built many ARs and was looking to see if I was out of line.

Firing pin enough said, it doesn't have the chrome coating I have see on any of the other BCGs I have seen. Maybe the picture doesn't show it well, or maybe it is just another acceptable coating.

Bolt carrier, the brown is not fouling as I noticed it prior to firing it.

As you stated it does work, I mentioned a few concerns. I was alright about everything till I spoke with their customer service so maybe I was a bit riled up. I'm still not completely happy as the overall quality does not feel the same as BCGs in my other ARs, but it does function and that is the main thing. thanks to all who have replied.
View Quote
That firing pin is absolutely chrome finished. You don't know what you are talking about, sorry.

ALL moving parts will show finish wear. Some parts that are "new" are test fired before being sent to customers. That BCG looks perfectly normal. Finish wear is EXPECTED.

You are now beginning to lie when making the statement I have bolded above.

You stated "First off, my experience with AR-15s is only what I have used in the military, and one AR-15 owned personally. " in this thread:

http://www.ar15.com/forums/t_2_498/252212_Damage_Industy_BCG_and_customer_service_experience.html

So, you have already admitted to owning ONLY one AR15, which is presumably the one we have been discussing. But in the above bolded text you claim to have multiple ARs. Come on, man.

Your inexperience caused you to have some unfounded concerns about the wuality of a BCG you purchased. No big deal. But lying to try and justify your statements isn't cool.

The BCG is fine; shoot and enjoy.

We were all n00bs at some point.
Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top