Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 7/28/2014 12:49:26 PM EDT
I've got a Seekins SP223 Lower that I sent out to have Cerakoted.  I received it back a few months ago, and finally got together the parts to start working on my lower.  Problem is, looks like when the Cerakoter removed and reinstalled the bolt catch they rounded out that little set screw that it uses instead of a roll pin.  Unfortunately, I need to remove that bolt catch to install the mag release and there just isn't enough 'hex' left in the socket for my allen wrench to get enough purchase to back it out.  I'm not sure if the Cerakoter may have used any thread locker in there or not when reassembling.

Anyone know a good way to get that set screw back out without making it worse, and without damaging the finish?
Link Posted: 7/28/2014 1:43:20 PM EDT
[#1]
You might have to use one of the reversal bits to remove it and get another set screw. They sell these at any hardware store...
Link Posted: 7/28/2014 7:14:52 PM EDT
[#2]
Yikes!
First thing to do is Bitch-Slap the idiot Cerackoter!

You might also call Seekins. They might have an idea or two.

Mark.

Link Posted: 7/28/2014 7:50:15 PM EDT
[#3]
I have removed stripped socket head set screws and bolts with an Easy Out the name for a tapered reverse screw that self tightens into the stripped out hex. You don't want to drill it if you don't absolutely have to.
Link Posted: 7/29/2014 3:20:28 AM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I have removed stripped socket head set screws and bolts with an Easy Out the name for a tapered reverse screw that self tightens into the stripped out hex. You don't want to drill it if you don't absolutely have to.
View Quote

Yes, Easy Out is what I was trying to describe. Couldn't think of the name at the time I posted. Go to Lowe's or Home Depot buy one, remove damaged screw and buy a new one.
Link Posted: 7/29/2014 5:45:46 AM EDT
[#5]
Thanks guys.  I just ordered a nice set of "Grabits" online and also a set by Irwin that got good reviews.  Judging by the reviews on Amazon, alot of the extractors out there are crap and tend to either not work or make things worse.  These 2 sets I picked up got decent reviews though and both contain bits that I think should be small enough for that tiny set screw.

If that doesn't work, I was thinking of using a sacrificial allen wrench and putting a dab of 5-Minute Epoxy or JB Weld on the end, sticking it in there carefully and leaving it set hoping to be able to twist the whole thing out.

Last idea I had was to take an allen wrench just one size too large, grind down the hex-sides so that its tapered, and gently tap it into the stripped screw hoping to gain purchase.

I'd have to be really careful with any of the above but, so far, those are the only ideas I've had.  While I'm waiting for the extractors to arrive, I'm trying to spend a few days just asking around and asking advice before I dive into one of these and make it worse.

Shooting an e-mail to Seekins is a really good idea too.  I'm sure that this isn't the first time something like this has happened.
Link Posted: 8/1/2014 7:05:53 AM EDT
[#6]
Well, it all turned out ok in the end.  I had ordered some extractor bits, but I also ordered some high quality, well reviewed "Bondhus" Allen wrenches with the ball end from Amazon.  Sometimes it amazes me what quality tools can do.

As it turned out, it was only the first short distance of the set screw that was stripped.  The majority of the problem was that my shitty Menards purchased Eklind Allen wrenches were out of spec.  It put a caliper to my 1/16" wrench and it wasn't right.  Once I received the "Bondhus" wrenches I didn't even need the extract bits.  The quality wrench pulled the set screw right out like it was nothing.  There was plenty of good sides for it to grab on in the inside.  I'd never used ball-end allen wrenches before but it sure made it easy to remove and reinstall that set screw without scratching the finish :)
Link Posted: 8/1/2014 5:29:24 PM EDT
[#7]
Good job! Glad it worked out for you. Can't wait to see your build!

Mark.
Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top