Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 7/27/2014 9:30:57 PM EDT
I am completely new to ARs and building.
I built my 1st though and was happily putting my lower together following this pictogram
http://www.thenewrifleman.com/how-to-build-a-lower-receiver/
There was pictures for every action, it was great. Except they left out the picture for the plunger in the bolt catch. Guess what I left out of my build.

My question is. How the heck do I get the roll pin out of the lower?

Aside from the roll pin being really freaking tight in the hole and being HOLLOW! You can also see that one side of the lower has a depression in it making it even more difficult.
Words of wisdom that will help me here?

Also, having never even fired one. I'm assuming that the plunger absolutely needs to be there for the gun to function?
Link Posted: 7/27/2014 9:37:21 PM EDT
[#1]
Correct size roll pin removal punch.

Link Posted: 7/27/2014 10:13:05 PM EDT
[#2]
This billet lower didn't  make use of a set screw for the bolt catch?

For the bolt catch roll pin, you'll need a 3/32 Roll Pin Punch like this one Grace USA makes. A "roll pin punch" has a tip on the end of the punch to keep the hollow portion of the roll pin from deforming as it is tapped in/out (a "pin punch" does not have this feature).

Use masking tape to cover up the portion of the lower receiver, that is next to the bolt catch ear the roll pin goes through, that is on the pistol grip side of the lower receiver. If you are not steady enough not to mark or gouge up your lower while tapping out the roll pin. Use a small brass hammer such as a jeweler's hammer to tap the punch, and as you tap push the punch into the roll pin (as if you are trying to push the roll pin through) to minimize the roll pin acting like an air-chisel when the hammer makes contact with the punch.

When re-installing the roll pin, tap it back in from the side that was taped up. Use whatever gun oil you use to lubricate the roll pin (makes installing roll pins easier), and the holes in each ear the roll pin goes through. While at it, lubricate the bolt catch plunger and plunger spring as well. While tapping the roll pin through, push the punch into the pin as before. Also, using another punch to line up the bolt catch with the ears helps. As the roll pin goes into place it will gradually push the punch acting as a guide pin out.
Link Posted: 7/27/2014 10:13:50 PM EDT
[#3]
I just googled roll pin removal punch and came up with 0 on the 1st page. So I guessed that maybe you meant roll pin punch? If so, it is straight and would drive the roll pin right into that hard angle that I have pictured. I dont think I can get at it from both sides?
Link Posted: 7/27/2014 11:07:15 PM EDT
[#4]

That looks tricky. Some sort of polymer lower? Doesn`t look like enough room to drive the pin out before it hits that material there. It will have to come back out the side it went in. I would try to find something you can use to drive the pin back out enough to be able to grab it with pliers and pull it out. FYI this will probably ruin the pin.

Here is a video of installing parts on a standard lower.. Bolt catch starts about 7:34. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e1omm6jY7Gg

Link Posted: 7/27/2014 11:10:42 PM EDT
[#5]
I ordered the roll pin punch set from grace.
I will be able to get the roll pin pushed into that hard angle and get the catch out. Hopefully I will be able to get it back in.

Thanks.
Link Posted: 7/27/2014 11:12:25 PM EDT
[#6]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
That looks tricky. Some sort of polymer lower? Doesn`t look like enough room to drive the pin out before it hits that material there. It will have to come back out the side it went in. I would try to find something you can use to drive the pin back out enough to be able to grab it with pliers and pull it out. FYI this will probably ruin the pin.

Here is a video of installing parts on a standard lower.. Bolt catch starts about 7:34. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e1omm6jY7Gg  
View Quote

Thanks for that. I wish I had watched more then one before building.
The lower is a james madison tactical poly
Link Posted: 7/27/2014 11:17:07 PM EDT
[#7]
Looks like you'll have to drive it on through as far forward as it will go before contacting other metal, then dremel it off with a cut-off wheel and drive the rest of it out.  Brownells, I think, makes a flat roll-pin punch specifically for that job (the bolt catch pin).  Like others said though tape it all up first, then drive it on through from back to front.  Stop, cut it off, then drive the rest out.  Roll pins are a dime, so make it sacrificial.
Link Posted: 7/27/2014 11:19:11 PM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

It happens. Wouldn`t be an issue if it was a standard lower. I wanted to add, if you can`t get it pushed back out enough to grab it with pliers and get it out. You could drive it on the way it went in until it hits that angle, then cut it with a dremel or something, then drive whats left of it on out. Or grab it with pliers or something to pry it up, and bend it up out of the way of that angle and drive it the rest of the way out. Of course you will need a new pin for sure after either of these procedures.  

ETA. I`ve used old drill bits to drive these pins when I didn`t have a punch. Not ideal, but can work.
Link Posted: 7/27/2014 11:19:51 PM EDT
[#9]
Yeah that's a tricky situation.

The punch you need is THIS

Here is a possibility.  Drive it out a little, then cut it off with a dermal, then drive it a bit more, then dermal cut.

That looks to be the only solution I can see.

ETA:  Damn, beat by 2 minutes  

Link Posted: 7/28/2014 8:36:35 AM EDT
[#10]
It's $8 to get a roll pin shipped from brownells.
Any ideas? I don't think I've seen them at home depot, maybe tractor supply?
Link Posted: 7/28/2014 9:01:49 AM EDT
[#11]
Don't forget the tape.
Link Posted: 7/28/2014 11:03:52 AM EDT
[#12]

Try EE

Post a "Want to Buy" add

I'm sure someone will sell you one

Link Posted: 7/28/2014 11:57:18 AM EDT
[#13]
The Citizens Armory will ship small packages USPS First Class Mail.
Link Posted: 7/28/2014 12:59:48 PM EDT
[#14]
My local true value hardware store carries all sizes of roll pins. Also if u have a local gun store go in and ask if they have them. I needed a gas tube roll pin and my LGS guy gave me one.

Just an idea.

Tony
Link Posted: 7/28/2014 3:25:54 PM EDT
[#15]
Where in CT are you? I have all the tools and spare parts, I'll fix it for you for free and supply the pin.
Link Posted: 7/28/2014 5:22:05 PM EDT
[#16]
You won't find roll /spring pins at Home Depot or Lowe's. You need to find old fashioned hardware store or fastener store.

Stores like Grainger will stock them but Grainger will only sell in bulk.

Some gun shops/stores might have parts stocked as well.

Tractor supply might have it.
Link Posted: 7/28/2014 5:55:07 PM EDT
[#17]
As was pointed out the correct punch is the Brownell's punch. The side of it being ground flat allows you to punch straight at the pin and not at an angle.

I've used mine so many times it's getting to where I need to replace it.
Link Posted: 9/2/2014 8:25:21 AM EDT
[#19]
I am sorry the guide has caused this grief.

I have found the missing photograph and I am currently re-installing it into the server.

Some things broke when I re-launched last year and some photos that had been re-named without the .jpg extension evaporated. I thought I caught them all. I am currently re-installing it.

Fixed:

Let this never happen to another one again.

Link Posted: 9/2/2014 10:48:03 AM EDT
[#20]
Jane, Any questions on the ar lower build is probably in NSZ85's video on you tube. Here is the link.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e1omm6jY7Gg

He is a member here and is the video I used for my first build. There is also a webpage provided by AR15.com that is at the bottom of this sites homepage. Here is a link:

http://www.ar15.com/content/guides/assembly/lower/

Two good references.

JBL
Link Posted: 9/2/2014 3:11:56 PM EDT
[#21]
Roll pins are supposed to be hollow.
Link Posted: 9/2/2014 6:57:18 PM EDT
[#22]
You are going to be real lucky if when all is said and done you do not crack one of those ears if that is a poly lower.
Link Posted: 9/2/2014 7:55:30 PM EDT
[#23]

Quoted:

Yeah that's a tricky situation.

The punch you need is THIS

Here is a possibility.  Drive it out a little, then cut it off with a dermal, then drive it a bit more, then dermal cut.

That looks to be the only solution I can see.

ETA:  Damn, beat by 2 minutes  

use this punch. Not trying to sound rude but if you dont want (can't) afford the correct tools for the job Buy one completed. Hobbies have costs and why use shortcuts on a firearm??

View Quote

Link Posted: 9/2/2014 11:33:09 PM EDT
[#24]
I made the offer to the OP to come over and fix it free of charge but never even got a response, I could have been in and  out in 10 minutes and that's taking my time to explain how to do what I would do to fix the bolt catch.

ETA: I was even gonna supply the replacement rollpin
Link Posted: 9/2/2014 11:36:22 PM EDT
[#25]
That's nice of you HipShot. Maybe he knows more than all of us now. If I needed help and someone wanted to teach me something I would say Yes Please and Thank You!
Link Posted: 9/2/2014 11:45:12 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
That's nice of you HipShot. Maybe he knows more than all of us now. If I needed help and someone wanted to teach me something I would say Yes Please and Thank You!
View Quote

I felt it was rather rude on the OP's part to ignore my resonse for help, granted if he would have said.."Thanks, I appreciate the offer but I'm going to try to do it myself to learn on my own." Or something like that, it would have been a decent reponse.....
Link Posted: 9/3/2014 9:43:20 AM EDT
[#27]
Its unfortunate but these forums of all types are full of people with a complete disregard for what once was common good manners …. Its possibly breading it somehow
Link Posted: 9/3/2014 10:21:54 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
Looks like you'll have to drive it on through as far forward as it will go before contacting other metal, then dremel it off with a cut-off wheel and drive the rest of it out..
View Quote

That is the ONLY thing that will work and is an excellent suggestion.

Vince
Link Posted: 9/3/2014 10:26:41 PM EDT
[#29]
He's new so maybe he missed your help post. Some of us are strong headed and don't want help in some situations, we get our self there and will get our self out.
I wouldn't worry much about it.  
Link Posted: 9/3/2014 10:36:06 PM EDT
[#30]
I've made the same mistake.  Drive out the opposite way, but just enough that the catch comes out.  That means the pin can still be in one of the ears, and won't be as hard to put back in.  Lining it up is about as much of a PITA as the front take down pin detent.
Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top