Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 7/23/2014 7:11:01 PM EDT
Tell me some reasonably priced brands of scopes you've had experience with and have used. Is that NC Star rubber armored 4 x 30 scope any good out there?
Link Posted: 7/23/2014 7:12:32 PM EDT
[#1]
Save up and get a leupold
Link Posted: 7/23/2014 7:13:30 PM EDT
[#2]
Best scope for the money and NCStar do not belong in the same time zone.
Link Posted: 7/23/2014 7:29:31 PM EDT
[#3]
NCStar and Barska do not belong anything more than a BB gun...good quality glass makes a huge difference.
Link Posted: 7/23/2014 7:42:49 PM EDT
[#4]
Leupold MarkAR 1.5-4x w/ firedot...

Love this scope and have it on two rifles..
Link Posted: 7/23/2014 8:06:57 PM EDT
[#5]
Long range work, or close up?
Link Posted: 7/24/2014 12:25:02 AM EDT
[#6]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Long range work, or close up?
View Quote

That's the question. A PA 1-6 or 4-14 would be a great starting point for a cheap solution to either, then figure out which car to sell to upgrade.
Link Posted: 7/24/2014 12:33:29 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
NCStar and Barska do not belong anything more than a BB gun...good quality glass makes a huge difference.
View Quote

definitely x2
Link Posted: 7/24/2014 4:09:15 AM EDT
[#8]
No farther than 100 yards, should be compact to medium.  What about fixed power versus variable? You got a preference. If I'm using a scope I want it to draw up the target, maybe no less than a 3X.  I want something rubber armored.
Link Posted: 7/24/2014 5:39:54 AM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:

No farther than 100 yards, should be compact to medium.  What about fixed power versus variable? You got a preference. If I'm using a scope I want it to draw up the target, maybe no less than a 3X.  I want something rubber armored.
View Quote
Since you're only going out to 100 yds, I'd go for a 1-4X...

Link Posted: 7/24/2014 7:17:34 AM EDT
[#10]
Best scope I have tried (longer range work) that is Inexpensive but high quality is the Simmons Whitetail Classic Series, mine are 6.5-20x50mm with Mil-Dot reticle .
They are superb scopes for the price ($300 retail) and can be often found for $125 on Midway USA  ! They feature one piece tube construction, water and fog proof
w/ a limited lifetime warranty, they use high quality Japanese made camera glass and are manufactured/assembled in the Philippines.

I only buy these scopes for long range work for my AR's because of the excellent build quality and really low price point when found on sale especially....

Another brand/model/series I like is the Bushnell Elite Series, excellent build quality (beats many scopes costing 2-5 times as much, even the German models),
they are all built/manufactured in Japan with the highest quality materials and glass, they come in various sizes and power levels, etc.

For smaller size and power levels you may want to look at the scopes for the pistol/handgun series Simmons makes, they may fit your needs better...

Stay away if possible from the Chinese made scopes.

Good luck.
Link Posted: 7/24/2014 7:35:44 AM EDT
[#11]
What's your budget / upper limit?  What's reasonably priced for some is nothing but a pipe dream for others.
Link Posted: 7/24/2014 7:38:23 AM EDT
[#12]
Check out Redfield.  They were bought by Leupold seversl years ago and many of the models are made in the Leupold factory using Leupold glass.  Much cheaper since you are not paying for the Leupold name.  I have a 2-7 X 32mm on one of my guns and love it.
Link Posted: 7/24/2014 7:38:24 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
I want something rubber armored.
View Quote

What is the draw of the rubber armor?  Put some scope caps or bikini cover on it and you will be protecting the important parts.

You'll be hard pressed to find a GOOD magnifying scope that is rubberized.  DO NOT waste money on NCStar crap.
Link Posted: 7/24/2014 7:44:40 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
View Quote

This

I never go any lower than Nikon and always stay away from Bushnell no matter the price.

Leupold, Nikon, Vortex and Burris are some of the best for the buck.
Link Posted: 7/30/2014 5:45:02 PM EDT
[#15]
So, I'm looking to go all in and buy a Leupold Mark AR Mod 1 1.5 - 5 x 20. Who has invested in one and was it worth the price? I'm looking at the 249 - 299 model.
Link Posted: 7/30/2014 5:57:53 PM EDT
[#16]
I have the illuminated reticle one.. which is not really worth the extra $100 IMHO. Clear optics. Works fine. But 4x isn't enough for any paper shots for me past 50-100yards for me. I need a bit more.

Quoted:
So, I'm looking to go all in and buy a Leupold Mark AR Mod 1 1.5 - 5 x 20. Who has invested in one and was it worth the price? I'm looking at the 249 - 299 model.
View Quote

Link Posted: 7/30/2014 7:17:37 PM EDT
[#17]
I have had good luck with BSA optics

This is whats on my 300 blackout rifle
BSA 2.5-8x36 Tactical Weapon Scope

and I have this one on my retro-ish build
4x30 tactical weapon scope w/ carry handle mount

I also have a Pentax on one of my ARs. It seems to be a nice scope.
Pentax 4-12 gameseeker
very inexpensive and seems to perform well.

I know not of these are nikon quality but I am very happy with the BSA scopes and I would order again. Pricing from Natchez Shooting supply seems to be good on BSA too.
Link Posted: 7/30/2014 8:29:46 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
I have had good luck with BSA optics

This is whats on my 300 blackout rifle
BSA 2.5-8x36 Tactical Weapon Scope

and I have this one on my retro-ish build
4x30 tactical weapon scope w/ carry handle mount

I also have a Pentax on one of my ARs. It seems to be a nice scope.
Pentax 4-12 gameseeker
very inexpensive and seems to perform well.

I know not of these are nikon quality but I am very happy with the BSA scopes and I would order again. Pricing from Natchez Shooting supply seems to be good on BSA too.
View Quote

If Nikon is your standard, you've never actually looked through good glass...
Personally, I wouldn't use BSA on anything but a rimfire plinker, but I'm glad you've had good luck with them.
Link Posted: 7/31/2014 1:06:22 AM EDT
[#19]
Nikon is about as low of a quality of optic I'd put on a budget AR15, they are good for the money. I'm partial to anything Trijicon but let's be realistic....they aren't budget friendly. Usually anything rubber armored is cheap junk, like Leapers, NC-Star, etc....all a waste of money.
Link Posted: 7/31/2014 7:29:36 AM EDT
[#20]
At the risk of being labeled a shill, I'm very pleased with the Burris Fullfield TAC 30   1-4X.    Does everything I need it to do from 50 to 500 yds.   Seemed to be about the best value for the money that I found.
Link Posted: 7/31/2014 8:59:25 AM EDT
[#21]
you know we all answer these questions from our perspective. To really answer this question we need to know what you have put into the gun costwise, what your intended use is and what kind of budget you are looking at for the scope.

any scope will be better than irons in my opinion.

I use everthing from an eotech to a24X scope. For a standard ar I like the eotech, I also like my Mark 6 1X6 my 2X12 and my 4X24. each has its use

Link Posted: 7/31/2014 3:01:44 PM EDT
[#22]
There are some very affordable SWFA SS models.  Also the Redfield ain't terrible, I have a 3-9x battlezone.  At 250 for scope and mount it's as cheap as I would go, personally.  I'm happy with it, but it also wasn't my first choice.  I just couldn't find what I wanted in stock anywhere and money was burning a hole in my pocket.

ETA:  we have an amazing optics forum.  it's overwhelming how much info is there, including actual pics through scopes.
Link Posted: 7/31/2014 3:28:49 PM EDT
[#23]
Link Posted: 7/31/2014 4:46:43 PM EDT
[#24]
Burris fullfield  2-7x35  (#200123). Wholesale Hunter has them  on ebay about for $135. Really really Clear glass, light weight (12oz), good eye relief.  Very versatile. Short, compact, fast acquisition and good for close in on 2x or reaching far out at 7x. I use Burris PEPR mounts. ballistic plex reticle.   Been using 2 of them for a year. Highly recommend the scope.  Surprisingly Brighter and clearer than larger, more powerful and expensive Nikon Monarchs. I wish that I found these Burris scopes first. Can you tell that I really like these Burris scopes!?

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Burris-Fullfield-II-Scope-2-7x35mm-Ball-Plex-Matte-/351043683520?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item51bbd584c0
Link Posted: 7/31/2014 4:59:33 PM EDT
[#25]
Weaver made a nice 1.5-4.5x24 scope a few years back. They pop up on Natchez pretty often for a decent price. I have one on my hunting AR, and it is great. The only real downside is its lack of a mil/MOA or BDC reticle.

Weaver 1.5-4.5X24 Classic Extreme Riflescope Ill. Dual-X Reticle Matte
Link Posted: 7/31/2014 5:24:07 PM EDT
[#26]
I'd say the Vortex Viper PST 1-4X24.  Excellent glass and pretty cheap as you can get them for around $450 or so.
Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top