Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 7/22/2014 5:22:21 PM EDT
Working on wrapping up my first build.

Got my rainier arms barrel in today and had them pin the gas block on. My understanding is that with that pinned, I still need to roll pin the gas tube.

I didn't order a pin for that though...I was told by the rep there that ordering the gas tube would come with that? Have I been had or...??

I plan to look again tomorrow, perhaps it fell into the box somewhere.
Link Posted: 7/22/2014 5:27:40 PM EDT
[#1]
u can get one at the hardware store for like 10 cents
Link Posted: 7/22/2014 5:44:23 PM EDT
[#2]
I appreciate your feedback, and it looks like you've been at this a while. I can respect that. I assume that by you telling me I can get one means I still need it?
Link Posted: 7/22/2014 5:49:53 PM EDT
[#3]
it gets pinned onto the gas block. if the pin is not in the hole, you need to put one in it.
Link Posted: 7/22/2014 5:50:43 PM EDT
[#4]
All my gas tubes have come with a roll pin, thats not to say yours didnt. But yeah you can pick it up at a hardware store.
Link Posted: 7/22/2014 6:01:04 PM EDT
[#5]
Great, so that's that. I need one.

I'm going to take another look tomorrow for sure, but I could see how something so tiny gets over looked. Let's say it isn't there. What are the dimensions I'm looking for at the hardware store?
Link Posted: 7/22/2014 8:26:19 PM EDT
[#6]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Great, so that's that. I need one.

I'm going to take another look tomorrow for sure, but I could see how something so tiny gets over looked. Let's say it isn't there. What are the dimensions I'm looking for at the hardware store?
View Quote
 B:  The dimensions of the gas tube roll pin are .312" long x .081" diameter.  Sometimes they are bundled with the gas tube, but all too often, you are left to your own devices.  Good luck finding one that small in your local hardware store.  I suggest you contact Rainier or M&A Parts and buy a few for your inventory (the are very easy to lose).  The reference to a "pinned" gas block is a tapered pin that affixed the GB firmly to the barrel.  A separate roll pin is used to affix the gas tube to the gas block.  Getting it started in its little hole is an exercise in patience.  To ease the pain, I suggest you buy roll pin starter and drive punches in the appropriate sizes from Brownells.  Good luck - CW

http://www.biggerhammer.net/ar15/pins.html
Link Posted: 7/22/2014 8:56:17 PM EDT
[#7]
Same thing happened to me. I went into my local gun shop and bought an F type gas block and a gas tube along with some other parts. Got home and realized I had no gas tube roll pin (I got the taper pins tho) so the next day I went back and asked them what was up and they gave me one. Then the next day I went back and bought another gas block (one in the package) and it came with one. Sometimes it comes with the gas block, sometimes it comes with the gas tube, sometimes you get the short end of the stick. If I were you I'd contact ranier and explain what happened. They'll most likely send you 1, and if not order some online they're cheap as shit
Link Posted: 7/22/2014 11:51:22 PM EDT
[#8]
Thanks for the input everyone. I'll let everyone know how it goes :)
Link Posted: 7/23/2014 2:13:51 AM EDT
[#9]
If there was tape on the gas tube, check the tape. All the tubes I've gotten from them had the pin in clear packing tape wrapped around the tube, very easy to not realize it's there if you don't know.
Link Posted: 7/23/2014 4:19:27 AM EDT
[#10]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
If there was tape on the gas tube, check the tape. All the tubes I've gotten from them had the pin in clear packing tape wrapped around the tube, very easy to not realize it's there if you don't know.
View Quote

Or inside the tube; taped in.  Had that happen once.
Link Posted: 7/23/2014 4:42:25 AM EDT
[#11]
I just ordered 30 from Windham Weaponry cause this shit pisses me off, even if you find one locally, it's not going to meet MS16562-106
Link Posted: 7/23/2014 5:01:42 AM EDT
[#12]
I'm sure I can find one locally, but that isn't the point. I expected one to be there so I'm a little bummed. I damn near tore the box apart. Worst comes to worst I have to wait for one to be shipped to me. Still need to get a hold of some molly paste. However that's an issue in itself. I really wish I could just pay an extra $2 for a small bit when I buy a free float tube.

Yes yes. I know I can get a jar of it to last me a lifetime, but I'm not a gun smith nor do I plan on building another rifle for a while.
Link Posted: 7/23/2014 5:09:51 AM EDT
[#13]
B:  FYI, moly grease has many uses, aside from AR15 barrel nuts.  Its good for any application that involves threads that need anti-seize, or involves pressure between moving parts, or you need a lube that won't dry out for a long time.  I fully understand the potential for corrosion with moly greases that contain graphite, however, its not a concern for me in my relatively benign shooting environment.  Accordingly, I use ordinary automotive grease designed for hot disc brake calipers. You can pick up something similar at your local auto parts store for a song.  - CW

http://www.amazon.com/CRC-SL3161-Temperatureerature-Bearing-Grease/dp/B000CPJN06
Link Posted: 7/23/2014 7:15:37 AM EDT
[#14]
Well...I guess it might be good to have some. I read through some of the grease threads and might stop by a Honda bike shop. They apparently have moly 60 paste with no copper or graphite by the metric ton and if you ask real nice they can just give you some
Link Posted: 7/23/2014 8:11:51 AM EDT
[#15]
Just got off the phone with Rainier, and they are going to send me a roll pin. :) that wasn't so hard.
Link Posted: 7/23/2014 9:37:20 AM EDT
[#16]
Ha, same thing happened to me.  Gas tube roll pin simply wasn't included, and then PSA forgot to include my bolt catch roll pin.
I bought a box of various sized roll pins at Harbor Freight and called it a day.  Now I have plenty of all sorts of sizes to never use.  
Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top