Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 7/22/2014 6:55:52 AM EDT
I'm about to put the barrel on my first build. When I put the barrel nut on finger tight, there is only enough space between the hinge rod of the ejection port cover and the barrel nut to fit about two pieces of paper. I'm concerned that when I start torquing the barrel nut, it's going to hit the rod before it fully tightens. My inclination is to grind down the rod a few millimeters before I torque the barrel nut. I wanted to run the idea by the board before I do something I might regret. Any thoughts?
Link Posted: 7/22/2014 7:23:04 AM EDT
[#1]
I would go ahead and torque down the barrel nut to see if any issues with binding even arises before attempting any grinding. Unless the hinge rod is out-of-spec I don't see why it should bind. What hand guard/rail are you using? Does it use a proprietary barrel nut or a standard  one? Also, when you torque the barrel nut you are only torquing to 30 lbs. ft. If it's a proprietary barrel nut I personally wouldn't go over 40 lbs. ft. (dependent on barrel nut design)
Link Posted: 7/22/2014 7:46:37 AM EDT
[#2]
The tube is Midwest Industries. They use a proprietary barrel nut, but it looks like the barrel nut used by about half of the free float tube makers (round, about 2.5" wide, lots of through-holes for the gas tube).
Link Posted: 7/22/2014 8:02:03 AM EDT
[#3]
I have not seen it happen before.  It should be a close fit.  They make them that size for a reason.
Link Posted: 7/22/2014 10:09:08 AM EDT
[#4]
If the rod is in spec it should not be longer than the face of the receiver if memory serves me correct.  

Is there room in between the barrel nut and the face of the receiver?
Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top