Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 7/22/2014 6:40:39 AM EDT
has anyone here ever made parts for your AR-15 from scratch ?

i bought a BCM charging handle, before installing it i studied it, hummmm, i think i can make a better latch, at least for my use.

so i took the standard catch from another CH, etched it on a sheet of brass stock the same thickness, then made some rough cuts then broke out the files, after an hour and a half of filing and polishing, i had a latch that was a beauty, the extension for pulling is about 2" long, it works perfectly under my Night Force scope, no more stubbing fingers trying to unlatch it for charging the rifle.  

i would like to post a photo but have no means to do so.

BTW, i still like and will use the BCM CH, MOD 2
Link Posted: 7/22/2014 8:10:51 AM EDT
[#1]
ive machined the muzzle devices on my last two builds. made a 3 prong flash hider on my SPR, then for my 300blk i made a nice brake with outside threads for when i finnally submit a Form 1 and i can build my own suppressor.
Link Posted: 7/22/2014 8:18:21 AM EDT
[#2]
Two piece gas block.

Link Posted: 7/22/2014 8:24:18 AM EDT
[#3]
OP:

I had to laught.

The guy can make a beautiful, reliable and superior part from scratch but can't post photos.  

I love it!

No everybody out there has given in to the cyber world!  Good on you OP.

{I don't even own a cell phone or any other highspeed hyper mod personal device either so we are kindred minds of a sort! Gotta draw the lines somewhere!! }

Anyway, yeah, I think alot of people out their have made better parts than can be found in production.  Production as you know involves economies of scale, efficincies in fixture and jig desgin, etc.

Great thread and I hope it sticks around for a long time with lots of neat ideas.

For myself, only shell deflectors and catchers made from leather and scrapped out inner tubes and Biathlon slings.  No "hard parts" so-to-speak.

Hey, that gas block is a dandy, too.  Very finely made and looks great.
Link Posted: 7/22/2014 1:41:57 PM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History

Quality work right here.
Link Posted: 7/22/2014 2:14:29 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

Quality work right here.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quality work right here.

Wow, ya it really is. It looks like a great design too, with how the two halves fit together.
Link Posted: 7/22/2014 2:15:48 PM EDT
[#6]

Wow. Nice work.
Link Posted: 7/22/2014 2:57:49 PM EDT
[#7]

Outstanding
Link Posted: 7/22/2014 3:24:23 PM EDT
[#8]

Very nice work there !

Link Posted: 7/22/2014 3:54:36 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
Two piece gas block.

http://area7precision.us/images/kmn11.jpg
View Quote

That's beautiful.

But the OP should've been more specific.  "Has anyone made AR parts from scratch WITHOUT using a couple hundred thousand dollars worth of tools?"
Link Posted: 7/22/2014 5:08:26 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:  That's beautiful.

But the OP should've been more specific.  "Has anyone made AR parts from scratch WITHOUT using a couple hundred thousand dollars worth of tools?"
View Quote

Why yes.  Yes I have.  And you can too:

Link Posted: 7/22/2014 5:16:34 PM EDT
[#11]
Thst two piece gas block is very nice! I got bored Last week and started playing around on a flash hider. I didn't finish it. I know is mall ninja but It was just for fun.

Link Posted: 7/22/2014 5:57:27 PM EDT
[#12]
Topic Moved
Link Posted: 7/23/2014 4:58:47 AM EDT
[#13]

so when can we start buying these, and I'd like to see the F marked FSB version too, get on that, please.
Don't forget the bayonet lug either!
Link Posted: 7/23/2014 5:36:11 AM EDT
[#14]
Two piece gas block look amazing.

Yes I made an entire lower receiver from scratch to convert a Faxon ARAK-21 upper into a bullpup. Too many other parts to list.

This is not the current setup don't have pictures of it. I will probably remake this entire lower in poly to save some weight as the aluminum lower really is over kill.

Link Posted: 7/23/2014 6:32:45 AM EDT
[#15]

Very slick. Wasn't there a thread on this iirc.
Link Posted: 7/23/2014 4:56:38 PM EDT
[#16]
I have. Back in like '06 while hanging out here and coming up with some ideas on rifle builds I had an inspiration. To make a long story short, 8 years later, more money and work than I care to remember, and taking on a completely different life course, I finally have it. Well almost I'm nearing completion of the production development and I have made a sort of video journal of the process on my youtube channel. I also have a blog with a post that goes along with each video. The videos are sort of geared more toward machinists but I think anyone can enjoy them. I started with an idea and nothing else. I have no formal training of any kind in ANY of the aspects that are involved with it (100% self taught from books and the internet) and spent all the money I had on tools and a machine. I am a one man operation in a single car garage. The moral of the story is it can be done but holy crap if you decide to give it a go with a new invention be prepared to step in it with your face. If anyone needs any advice come talk to me.

Anyway wish me luck with finalizing operations for production and I hope you all will check out my blog and videos. I have 10 entries so far on this project and try to get one out every week or so. Some of you might even remember those prototype pics from years ago when I posted them here.

Blog: http://www.warmachinellc.com/blog/

Here is what I am making, I think you all can guess what it is:

Link Posted: 7/24/2014 3:44:54 AM EDT
[#17]

now that looks very interesting, and i like it, i wonder how long it will take the industry to copy it, or have you taken legal protection against it being copied ?
Link Posted: 7/24/2014 4:03:26 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
OP:

I had to laught.

The guy can make a beautiful, reliable and superior part from scratch but can't post photos.  

I love it!

No everybody out there has given in to the cyber world!  Good on you OP.

{I don't even own a cell phone or any other highspeed hyper mod personal device either so we are kindred minds of a sort! Gotta draw the lines somewhere!! }

Anyway, yeah, I think alot of people out their have made better parts than can be found in production.  Production as you know involves economies of scale, efficincies in fixture and jig desgin, etc.

Great thread and I hope it sticks around for a long time with lots of neat ideas.

For myself, only shell deflectors and catchers made from leather and scrapped out inner tubes and Biathlon slings.  No "hard parts" so-to-speak.

Hey, that gas block is a dandy, too.  Very finely made and looks great.
View Quote

when it comes to modern technology (electronics) i am still in the 1960's we do have a very basic cell phone we use only for emergencies and when my wife and are away from each other, like today when i go to the range shooting.

i have made other items like a completely different "monopod" for bench rest shooting or varmint hunting, i am trying to find a way to protect it from being copied and manufactured without any compensation for me.

yaa, that gas block is quite the innovative idea i have seen in a long time.

Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top