Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 7/21/2014 2:38:31 PM EDT
I'm in the beginning stages of putting together a parts list for a near-future AR build.  It will be my first, and I want to start with the barrel and build around that.

My intentions for this rifle will be defense and casually using it on the range in my free time.  I'm looking more for reliability and service life.

So far here is where I am...

14.5"
Chrome Lined
Cold Hammer Forged
GOV Profile
1:7 Twist
M4 Feed Ramps
MP tested

1. Does all of the above sound gtg?
2. Since I've never purchased a barrel before, how much can something like the above cost?  I have been to some sites and have seen prices, I just don't know if they are normal or not.  Just looking for a ballpark price range.  Thanks for any advice/help.
Link Posted: 7/21/2014 2:57:48 PM EDT
[#1]
Quoted:
I'm in the beginning stages of putting together a parts list for a near-future AR build.  It will be my first, and I want to start with the barrel and build around that.

My intentions for this rifle will be defense and casually using it on the range in my free time.  I'm looking more for reliability and service life.

So far here is where I am...

14.5"
Chrome Lined
Cold Hammer Forged
GOV Profile
1:7 Twist
M4 Feed Ramps
MP tested

1. Does all of the above sound gtg?
2. Since I've never purchased a barrel before, how much can something like the above cost?  I have been to some sites and have seen prices, I just don't know if they are normal or not.  Just looking for a ballpark price range.  Thanks for any advice/help.
View Quote

Except for material (which they don't state) this DD barrel seems to meet your criteria. BCM has a similar barrel for $50 less but they don't state if it's CHF or not. I just bought the DD but haven't had a chance to shoot it yet. I think prices for both are "in line" and either one would serve you well.
Link Posted: 7/21/2014 3:08:03 PM EDT
[#2]
Awesome.  Thank you very much for the help!
Link Posted: 7/21/2014 3:48:03 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

Except for material (which they don't state) this DD barrel seems to meet your criteria. BCM has a similar barrel for $50 less but they don't state if it's CHF or not. I just bought the DD but haven't had a chance to shoot it yet. I think prices for both are "in line" and either one would serve you well.
View Quote

BCM's standard barrels aren't hammer-forged.  The BFH (Barrel, forged, hammer) moniker is used to denote those that are.
Link Posted: 7/21/2014 8:15:49 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:

BCM's standard barrels aren't hammer-forged.  The BFH (Barrel, forged, hammer) moniker is used to denote those that are.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Very useful info.  Thanks for the heads up on that one.
Link Posted: 7/21/2014 8:30:31 PM EDT
[#5]
I have this midlength.

It's carbine brother is in stock also.  I highly recommend this barrel.  I say it is one of the best.  You need only to look around at lots of other brands to see this is the same blank, and gets really good reviews across the board.
Link Posted: 7/22/2014 6:52:25 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
I have this midlength.http://www.riflegear.com/p-2165-fn-145-midlength-17-twist-chf-barrel-556.aspx

It's carbine brother is in stock also.  I highly recommend this barrel.  I say it is one of the best.  You need only to look around at lots of other brands to see this is the same blank, and gets really good reviews across the board.
View Quote

Thank you for the recommendation. Much appreciated.
Link Posted: 7/22/2014 8:52:13 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

View Quote

+1. I use one in 16" and it's an incredibly accurate barrel and built to last. Worth the somewhat premium price IMHO.
Link Posted: 7/23/2014 12:28:04 AM EDT
[#8]
I have used Del-Ton on all 4 builds. Great barrel for the price. Customer service is awesome. The barrels are way more accurate than I expected. As long as I keep getting exactly what I order and it is what I need I will stay with them.

Check this barrel out!

Del-Ton
Link Posted: 7/23/2014 4:47:21 AM EDT
[#9]
you understand 14.5 violates NFA without a tax stamp right?
Link Posted: 7/23/2014 5:30:23 AM EDT
[#10]
Government profile barrels make no sense. The extra mass after the fsb should be distributed between the chamber and fsb.
Link Posted: 7/24/2014 12:34:08 PM EDT
[#11]
I just ordered a 16" medium profile melonite from sionics.  It was 289 with a giessele gas block.  I've read lot's of good reviews on them.
Link Posted: 7/24/2014 1:28:46 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
you understand 14.5 violates NFA without a tax stamp right?
View Quote

Doesn't a pinned and welded FH make them legal per NFA?
Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top