Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 7/20/2014 8:04:49 PM EDT
Barring a need to "fill a role" in your collection..I've got so many ideas for builds I want to do but I always have a hard time settling on "the next one". I feel like a lot of people's rifles kind of appear out of spare parts, and I have plenty of those in the parts box, but I like having a plan, I guess..lol. What about y'all?
Link Posted: 7/20/2014 8:19:34 PM EDT
[#1]
I try to use my spare parts. Might as well make use of them. I try to avoid "tacti-cool". I like the KISS method. Keep it simple stupid. It works for me. -W

Link Posted: 7/20/2014 8:43:09 PM EDT
[#2]
If I'm not building something to fit a specific role I just go with what peaks my interest. I've got one decked out rifle for HD/SHTF and everything in between, another that is a simple KISS build. I have a SBR in the works for no other reason than I really wanted one. I'm already planning another build, a 20" M16 clone-ish style rifle. I have no idea what era I'm going with yet though.

My main thing is building something that I will enjoy shooting because I don't do safe queens.
Link Posted: 7/20/2014 8:51:48 PM EDT
[#3]
I build what I want when I want it
Link Posted: 7/20/2014 9:48:05 PM EDT
[#4]
Prioritize your next build, What do you need/want on the next one?
Link Posted: 7/20/2014 10:07:29 PM EDT
[#5]
Spreadsheet/dream sheet
Link Posted: 7/21/2014 12:48:14 AM EDT
[#6]
when I hear sounds coming out for the spare parts drawer . these AR's  breed something awful if you are not careful to separate upper parts from lowers
Link Posted: 7/21/2014 5:03:44 AM EDT
[#7]
I buy parts when they go on sale.  Like you, I have probably have at least 10 builds going through my head at a given time.  So when I see parts cheap that may fit the bill for one of those guns, well I buy them.  Eventually I have numerous parts around and sometimes I sit back and realize I might only be a couple parts away from finishing one.  At that point I put all my efforts towards finishing that build.  Sometimes it ends up not being the gun I really wanted done first,  but it was on my list and one more project is done.  When I was building my block II clone, it actually started being built as more of a recce build, then I changed my mind about a million times until Daniel Defense announced they were stopping civilian FDE RIS rails. At that time I put all efforts into building my block II.  Just let the BRD run its course, fate will decide for you
Link Posted: 7/21/2014 5:21:08 AM EDT
[#8]
20" HBAR was first purchase in 85..sold an HK91 for it...what a mistake

16" middy
10.5 pistol
7.5 pistol
3 middy rifles for kids and wife

Next are .308, .22 and 9mm.  Then who knows

Link Posted: 7/21/2014 10:22:01 AM EDT
[#9]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
20" HBAR was first purchase in 85..sold an HK91 for it...what a mistake

16" middy
10.5 pistol SBR
7.5 pistol SBR
3 middy rifles for kids and wife

Next are .308, .22 and 9mm.  Then who knows

View Quote

That's what you MUST do next
Link Posted: 7/21/2014 3:48:22 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
I buy parts when they go on sale.  Like you, I have probably have at least 10 builds going through my head at a given time.  So when I see parts cheap that may fit the bill for one of those guns, well I buy them.  Eventually I have numerous parts around and sometimes I sit back and realize I might only be a couple parts away from finishing one.  At that point I put all my efforts towards finishing that build.  Sometimes it ends up not being the gun I really wanted done first,  but it was on my list and one more project is done.  When I was building my block II clone, it actually started being built as more of a recce build, then I changed my mind about a million times until Daniel Defense announced they were stopping civilian FDE RIS rails. At that time I put all efforts into building my block II.  Just let the BRD run its course, fate will decide for you
View Quote

This is me exactly. Nice to know I'm not alone.

5 builds in process with one being a .308.
Link Posted: 7/21/2014 4:18:42 PM EDT
[#11]
I started with a .300blk project and then went SBR.  Now I am working on the 6.8 that I scrapped in favor of the .300blk (which was built during the panic for under $1000).  Next up for my will be the .308 that I have been wanting to do for a long time.
Link Posted: 7/21/2014 5:53:07 PM EDT
[#12]
My builds are dictated by my impulsive nature. I usually get a build in mind based on awesome factor, then get bored with it, part it out on the EE, and build it again @ retail. My only .mil inspired clone was an A2, and that is because I was issued one once.
Link Posted: 7/21/2014 7:16:25 PM EDT
[#13]
My favorite build now is with a 16" barrel, with scope on a flat top upper.
AIM Surplus
Link Posted: 7/22/2014 6:22:17 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
View Quote

same here, buy cheap parts on sale, stack them up until I have enough to build a gun I want. im working on a 300 blackout pistol right now thanks to the baraga barrel sale.
Link Posted: 7/22/2014 6:36:15 AM EDT
[#15]
The spare parts thing is only natural. The bin grows over the yrs. All the while, the owner has a loose inventory in his head on what he could build with it, with a few additional parts of course. Presto. Having everything else but a bare upper receiver, I just finished a complete upper(using a PSA stripped blem upper) doing just that. I didn't have a scoped(M223 2x8) AR, so this was an easy fit. Just needs a rr BUIS. But its GTG otherwise. Just sighted her in. This one...

Now all I need is another inexpensive lower(Anderson prolly) LKP, and BCG and I'd have another complete AR... see how it goes? lol ..help..me..
Link Posted: 7/22/2014 6:44:55 AM EDT
[#16]
I guess I'm different as I buy the barrel first then go from there.  Be patient and buy parts when they are on sale.  I don't have to many spare parts hanging around.
Link Posted: 7/22/2014 6:52:42 AM EDT
[#17]
I had ideas for all the niches I wanted to fill, then I slowly collected parts as they went on sale.  Some came together in weeks, others had parts waiting to be finished for a couple years.

Now I'm almost done with AR's, though I'm sure I'll get some more ideas in the future.

Link Posted: 7/22/2014 7:12:06 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
I had ideas for all the niches I wanted to fill, then I slowly collected parts as they went on sale.  Some came together in weeks, others had parts waiting to be finished for a couple years.

Now I'm almost done with AR's, though I'm sure I'll get some more ideas in the future.
http://i739.photobucket.com/albums/xx39/jaqufrost/Mobile%20Uploads/2014-06/20140610_223712_zps3gkw4kxj.jpg

View Quote

Ever considered adopting a 31 year old son?
Link Posted: 7/22/2014 7:18:58 AM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

http://i739.photobucket.com/albums/xx39/jaqufrost/Mobile%20Uploads/2014-06/20140610_223712_zps3gkw4kxj.jpg

It would be pretty odd having a son older than I am

Link Posted: 7/22/2014 7:51:21 AM EDT
[#20]
By spending too much time looking at what other people are building.

That's how I ended up with a pistol with a sig brace, at any rate.
Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top