Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 7/13/2014 2:40:34 AM EDT
I wanna attempt to lighten up a BCG.  If I fuck it up, its on me.  

BUT, what I need some advice on is ball end mills.  I'm looking at our tooling catalog and I need to know what type of coating?  I think?  its shows A/TiN, MCG, TiN, and TiCN. I think these are coatings, but I'm not sure. Thanks!

Also, I'm open to advice.  I want one that will hold up to the hardness of the Carrier.
Link Posted: 7/13/2014 3:07:01 AM EDT
[#1]
A ball end mill is probably not going to work out well. You won't have the proper surface footage across the entire cutting surface to run it at the optimum speed and hold up to the hardness of the carrier.
Link Posted: 7/13/2014 3:46:47 AM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
A ball end mill is probably not going to work out well. You won't have the proper surface footage across the entire cutting surface to run it at the optimum speed and hold up to the hardness of the carrier.
View Quote

That sounds French to me. Surface footage? My thought was to use a reg end mill to make a few flat surfaces, then use the round end to flute. What speeds are we looking at?

Please keep in mind, I realize I may destroy this BCG in the process,  but I wanna see if I can do it. I'm not a machinist, just an electrical guy who like to destroy w stuff in the name of science.
Link Posted: 7/13/2014 3:49:29 AM EDT
[#3]
Carbide would work best, if you spend the time to make a jig to hold the BCG rigid enough.

Another option is chuck it in a lathe and use carbide inserts to take radial cuts.

With a couple carbide drill bits you could drill a series of lightning holes.

Your cheapest and fastest option is to use an abrasive wheel and just grind groves. It would look ugly but would get the job done with the least amount of work and lowest cost.

Just remember that as you lighten the BCG you'll be overgassing the system unless you get a new barrel with the appropriate gas hole size or use an adjustable gas block.
Link Posted: 7/13/2014 6:02:03 AM EDT
[#4]
I think an abrasive type tool would be best, but IMHO, just thinking about a DIY lightening procedure is destructive to your BCG.  Might be better off buying one already done.
Link Posted: 7/13/2014 6:08:32 AM EDT
[#5]
subscribe before the hospital bills..
Link Posted: 7/13/2014 7:32:12 AM EDT
[#6]
Bolt carriers are really hard. You will need carbide; coating is not important for a limited use. If you were setting up a CNC machine to do 20 then it would be but for one doesn't make any difference. Because the carriers is hard you still have to go slow or you'll end up breaking the mill cutter and you don't have cold flowing lubricant to keep the temperature down and the chips away. If you check out the commercial units those that are drilled, milled and lightened are not significantly lighter so I hardly think it is worth the effort but if you want to do for the FUN go for it.
Link Posted: 7/13/2014 9:14:04 AM EDT
[#7]
There is no if I screw it up, you will screw it up.

The only proper way to do it would be to flute then harden. Not to mention, a cheap mill will not handle the job, it will take a commercial grade machine that is capable of a very slow table feed and with no movement in the table other than feed, otherwise it will try to walk and ultimately shatter the mill.

The in before the hospital bill is on track.

We have millions of dollars worth of lathes, Mills, presses and grinders, the grinder with a radius rock will be your only sure and safe method.
Link Posted: 7/13/2014 9:49:55 AM EDT
[#8]
"Solid" carbide, not coatings
Link Posted: 7/16/2014 3:09:33 PM EDT
[#9]
Ok. Maybe a dumb question. I know bolts are hardened steel. Are bolt carriers hardened as well? Are they case hardened or are they made of tool steel? I am thinking about drilling and tapping one.
R
Link Posted: 7/16/2014 4:04:20 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
Ok. Maybe a dumb question. I know bolts are hardened steel. Are bolt carriers hardened as well? Are they case hardened or are they made of tool steel? I am thinking about drilling and tapping one.
R
View Quote

They are usually case hardened in a gas or Induction furnace using 8K series alloy steel...
Link Posted: 7/16/2014 4:25:17 PM EDT
[#11]
*I* would get a 1/2" carbide end mill and make cuts like the voodoo lightweight carrier

Eta flat end mill

Like this :

Link Posted: 7/16/2014 4:52:37 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

They are usually case hardened in a gas or Induction furnace using 8K series alloy steel...
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
R

Great....

Link Posted: 7/21/2014 3:57:33 PM EDT
[#13]
I'm glad I don't live near this guy, as someone who knows someone personally who has had a weapon blow up in their face I wouldn't be messing around with a bolt or carrier to try lighten it, I would leave it up to the professionals. but that is just me. I Love to do things my self but there is a limit to what I will tackle.
Link Posted: 7/22/2014 2:43:17 PM EDT
[#14]
Here's a fine diy:

Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top