BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 3
Posted: 6/3/2014 8:42:33 PM EDT
I know. She's ugly, morbidly obese, and downright dirty. But for $25 she's mine and I love her

Here's what shows up in the mail:

The downloadable instructions:

Pics:

In this pic you can see where I welded in a castle nut. I didn't feel like paying for the expensive tap.

And here are a few of her dressed up and ready to go out:

I did this with a solid wire feed MIG and shielding gas. I am in no way a professional and wasn't planning on achieving perfection. That is what buying an 100% completed is for. What I did achieve is a bad ass, beefy, steel AR receiver. Also, I was looking for a fun and challenging welding project.

I have a little more work to do cleaning up the welds and drilling a few detente holes, but overall I am happy with the results. One thing I might try later down the road is brazing one together.  I'm sure that it would look much nicer.

My plans for this are to paint it with Alumahyde II matte black.  I'm toying around with the idea of a pump action AR, so I'm probably going to skip drilling  the buffer retainer hole and installing a buffer/spring.

I am aware that this is an ugly mutant of the AR world, but it was fun and I would recommend it to anyone looking for a challenging project. So fire away with your questions and comments.

I plan to follow up with pics of the paint job in a couple of days.

Link Posted: 6/3/2014 8:56:23 PM EDT
[#1]
Not too shabby, considering where it began.  How heavy is it?
Link Posted: 6/3/2014 9:03:58 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Not too shabby, considering where it began.  How heavy is it?
View Quote

REALLY heavy.  Probably twice the weight of an aluminum. I would guess about a pound and a half or so.  I don't have a scale handy
Link Posted: 6/3/2014 9:25:50 PM EDT
[#3]
Pretty clever welding on the castle nut.  Nice build.  How hard was it to tap the pistol grip screw hole?
Link Posted: 6/3/2014 9:39:09 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
Pretty clever welding on the castle nut.  Nice build.  How hard was it to tap the pistol grip screw hole?
View Quote

The tapping required a bit of elbow grease, but other than that it went right through. Fairly smoothly in my opinion. I'm new to tapping so I have little experience to compare it to.

What was nice is that the drill bit and tap were available cheaply at my local hardware store.
Link Posted: 6/3/2014 9:59:23 PM EDT
[#5]
How long till they release an Aluminum one?

I have some Gorilla glue.
Link Posted: 6/3/2014 10:03:26 PM EDT
[#6]
Nice job    She's beautiful
Link Posted: 6/3/2014 10:20:12 PM EDT
[#7]
What's going to hold your buffer in, Or are you planning on using a JP captured spring? Also does the pivot pin spring hole need to be drilled? For the rear, I'm assuming you'll be using a KNS pinless takedown pin? Selector lever detent spring hole? This thing looks like it's soo much work it would be easier to just drill out a block of steel! But I'm glad someone is trying it and thank you for posting your progress.
Very interesting project. Please keep us posted!
Link Posted: 6/3/2014 10:35:25 PM EDT
[#8]
The BCG generally holds the buffer in place; the buffer retention pin is helpful, but not necessary on an AR.  The pivot spring detent hole does have to be drilled if you choose to use it.  The safety detent hole has to be drilled - you can see the OP hasn't yet drilled it.  The rear takedown pin detent hole has already been drilled through the receiver extension bosses, but not through the side plates.
Link Posted: 6/3/2014 10:37:46 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
What's going to hold your buffer in, Or are you planning on using a JP captured spring? Also does the pivot pin spring hole need to be drilled? For the rear, I'm assuming you'll be using a KNS pinless takedown pin? Selector lever detent spring hole? This thing looks like it's soo much work it would be easier to just drill out a block of steel! But I'm glad someone is trying it and thank you for posting your progress.
Very interesting project. Please keep us posted!
View Quote

I may not be needing a buffer for this gun as I might convert it to a bolt/pump action. NY laws really suck right now and I want to turn it into a fun range toy without getting arrested.

As far as the pivot pin goes, I will be drilling a hole and using a normal spring, detente, and pin. Easy work on the mill.

The rear will probably end up being some sort of pinless takedown so I don't have to drill through or reinforce the steel walls. I'm not above simply using a nut and bolt if all else fails. This thing is already pretty ugly.

The safety detente hole will be a tricky one though.  Might have to weld in some extra metal to drill through.

There are a few bugs to work out, but nothing too difficult.
Link Posted: 6/3/2014 10:40:36 PM EDT
[#10]
I'd probably opt to simplify the build by using KNS takedown/pivot pins (no drilling), a JP captured spring (no detent) and just be left with drilling the selector lever detent spring hole (I can't think of way around that one).
Link Posted: 6/3/2014 10:50:39 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
I'd probably opt to simplify the build by using KNS takedown/pivot pins (no drilling), a JP captured spring (no detent) and just be left with drilling the selector lever detent spring hole (I can't think of way around that one).
View Quote

Mosin safety.    If I superglue one, that's what I'll use.

OP, thanks for showing me where the little pieces on the receiver extension boss go.  I thought they went up front somehow.  Have you thought about using a rear takedown pin you can yank out so you can quickly load your fixed mag?
Link Posted: 6/3/2014 10:58:36 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

OP, thanks for showing me where the little pieces on the receiver extension boss go.  I thought they went up front somehow.  Have you thought about using a rear takedown pin you can yank out so you can quickly load your fixed mag?
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I'm not planning a semi auto. Therefore detachable mags are fine in this case.
Link Posted: 6/4/2014 12:08:52 AM EDT
[#13]
I employ many welders - they don't know how to tap holes.
Link Posted: 6/4/2014 12:12:10 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:  I employ many welders - they don't know how to tap holes.
View Quote

The only hole you "must" drill is the safety detent - and if you're willing to run a Mosin safety, you don't even have to do that.
Link Posted: 6/4/2014 7:01:06 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

The only hole you "must" drill is the safety detent - and if you're willing to run a Mosin safety, you don't even have to do that.
View All Quotes
Quoted:

How would you run a "Mosin Safety" in an AR?
Link Posted: 6/4/2014 9:12:57 AM EDT
[#16]
I had an idea to make something like this, but use Chicago bolts to hold it together.  I started on a plastic mockup, but moved on to other projects.  This seems really interesting, and also a cheap way to get a AR10 lower, I see that on their site.
Link Posted: 6/4/2014 10:36:10 AM EDT
[#17]
How would you keep the buffer tube from spinning since the castle nut usually locks it in place?
Link Posted: 6/4/2014 10:51:23 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
How would you keep the buffer tube from spinning since the castle nut usually locks it in place?
View Quote

A second castle nut tightens everything down.
Link Posted: 6/4/2014 11:02:26 AM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Touche.  Carry on!
Link Posted: 6/4/2014 11:17:46 AM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Keep the chamber empty until you're ready to shoot.    Ever try to manipulate a Mosin safety?
Link Posted: 6/4/2014 11:33:24 AM EDT
[#21]
It's not easy, but I never thought it was that bad
Link Posted: 6/4/2014 3:22:42 PM EDT
[#22]
Nice job! The dudes at Kyber Pass are jealous! Can you hold your parts with your toes while you machine with a flat file while sitting on a pile of camel dung?
Lol  jk.  I saw this recently and wondered how many kits would be completed. That is definitely some serious DIY! Good work, no telling what you could build with proper machine tools.
Chris
Link Posted: 6/4/2014 3:38:33 PM EDT
[#23]
Very nice job!  I would leave it unfinished as it looks very futuristic; reminds me of the "Terminator" movies and robots.

Link Posted: 6/4/2014 6:00:19 PM EDT
[#24]
OP, When you said it was ugly, I was thinking "2:00am when the bars are closing" ugly.
But then I looked at it and I think you have an 11:00pm "I might have had one too many" ugly!!
Great job, I think it looks pretty good. Now, where did I put that drink? LOL
Link Posted: 6/4/2014 6:23:24 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

I have some Gorilla glue.
View Quote

Link Posted: 6/4/2014 6:51:22 PM EDT
[#26]
OP that's one of the more impressive things i've seen in a long time...now i just have to remember how to weld! (i actually only ever took one class so i'm not sure it would be safe for me to try again!)
Link Posted: 6/4/2014 9:52:30 PM EDT
[#27]
I want one
Link Posted: 6/4/2014 10:24:12 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
I want one
View Quote

We're gonna have to come up w/ the ARFCOM People's Import/Export Corporation for all the onesies/twosies we've got.  Sending Italian Garands south of your border, AR flats north, we need something w/ lawyers to run ITAR interference...  Wait.  Don't we HAVE lawyers?  
Link Posted: 6/4/2014 10:28:56 PM EDT
[#29]
I would 100% let that thing rust.
Link Posted: 6/5/2014 12:01:41 AM EDT
[#30]
I might just have to order one of these. For $25, what's the worst that could happen?

I see they make them for DPMS pattern 308 lowers as well.
Link Posted: 6/5/2014 12:57:53 AM EDT
[#31]
Tonight I addressed the issue with the safety selector.

I tried to zoom in as best as I could, but in this picture I am trying to show where I welded in a small square of metal over the selector hole then drilled it out to the correct hole diameter. This gave me some metal to work with for the detente hole.

Then from the bottom I drilled the detente/spring hole. 1/8" through and 5/32 drill for a depth of 0.188”

Bam! Functional selector switch!

Link Posted: 6/5/2014 1:09:32 AM EDT
[#32]
I just ordered two of these. Winter projects. Now if tbey made a kit to make an upper.
Link Posted: 6/5/2014 1:10:46 AM EDT
[#33]
You have mad skilz, sir.  So the detent wouldn't have worked if you'd just drilled straight through, w/o welding in that piece?
Link Posted: 6/5/2014 1:16:32 AM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:
You have mad skilz, sir.  So the detent wouldn't have worked if you'd just drilled straight through, w/o welding in that piece?
View Quote

Correct. The receiver walls were too thin. The detente and spring probably would have slid into the fire control pocket and not worked at all. Probably would have compromised structural integrity as well.
Link Posted: 6/5/2014 1:18:10 AM EDT
[#35]
For a finish - have you considered color case hardening?  
Link Posted: 6/5/2014 1:30:16 AM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:
View Quote

Yes! I was actually thinking about that. Especially since I am considering crafting my own wood furniture. That would be a pretty neat look. Is that an expensive process?
Link Posted: 6/5/2014 1:44:51 AM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:

Yes! I was actually thinking about that. Especially since I am considering crafting my own wood furniture. That would be a pretty neat look. Is that an expensive process?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Depends on who you get the bones from.  
Link Posted: 6/5/2014 8:11:55 AM EDT
[#38]
You'd think they could tap the buffer hole for you.  The cost of the tap is prohibitive unless you are doing a bunch of them, IMO.
Link Posted: 6/5/2014 11:07:04 AM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:  You'd think they could tap the buffer hole for you.  The cost of the tap is prohibitive unless you are doing a bunch of them, IMO.
View Quote

Not sure they can, since the receiver extension boss comes in two pieces you're supposed to weld together:

There are several ways around it:

Weld on a steel castle nut, as D-Rock has done;

Cut a rifle tube to ACE stock dimensions, and glue it in place, as I'm going to try;

Weld in a steel tube, as simply_green did in this thread:

http://www.ar15.com/forums/t_3_4/647105_Steel_AR_flats_from_the_Flat_Spot.html&page=3#i6490270
Link Posted: 6/5/2014 1:22:12 PM EDT
[#40]
extension boss comes in two pieces you're supposed to weld together
View Quote

Didin't see that.
Link Posted: 6/5/2014 1:28:33 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Where did you find this aluminum one? How much?!
Link Posted: 6/5/2014 1:29:43 PM EDT
[#42]
[removed doublepost]
Link Posted: 6/5/2014 2:38:16 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
http://i147.photobucket.com/albums/r291/atfsux/boltTogetherAR15.gif

http://www.weaponeer.net/forum/uploads/Weaponeer/files/2007-10-17_131429_AR_15_Scratch_Built_Receiver.pdf
Link Posted: 6/5/2014 7:40:01 PM EDT
[#44]
Awesome!  I'm thrilled that there more and more of these builds being posted.  Especially in identifying the work-arounds and problem areas.  I hadn't realized that the safety would need additional material for the detent.

I'm totally cool with the "ugliness factor".  

Have you noticed that the magazine catch isn't quite right?  I did a test fit on mine and it doesn't engage the magazine slot.  I'm able to get back to my project this weekend and will post pics in the other thread.
Link Posted: 6/5/2014 8:27:45 PM EDT
[#45]
I was wondering  if this was necessary

From here
Link Posted: 6/5/2014 8:51:47 PM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:
Awesome!  I'm thrilled that there more and more of these builds being posted.  Especially in identifying the work-arounds and problem areas.  I hadn't realized that the safety would need additional material for the detent.

I'm totally cool with the "ugliness factor".  

Have you noticed that the magazine catch isn't quite right?  I did a test fit on mine and it doesn't engage the magazine slot.  I'm able to get back to my project this weekend and will post pics in the other thread.
View Quote

Yeah, I forgot to comment on that.  I got the mag catch to work by adding some weld to the release itself.  I gobbed on some extra metal and then ground it down to the correct slope to engage the magazine. It was a very easy fix. I'll post some pictures when I get a chance.
Link Posted: 6/5/2014 9:01:31 PM EDT
[#47]
I haven't even started mine yet and already wish I'd bought two more.  
Link Posted: 6/5/2014 9:05:05 PM EDT
[#48]
Have you tried turning the magazine catch another turn or two?  Saw a M4 in Iraq that wouldn't hold magazines, gave it a turn or two, it was GTG.
Link Posted: 6/5/2014 9:32:01 PM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:
Have you tried turning the magazine catch another turn or two?  Saw a M4 in Iraq that wouldn't hold magazines, gave it a turn or two, it was GTG.
View Quote

I did try that. The problem is that the steel walls are too thick in the mag well area.  The catch won't clear the walls no matter how tight you screw it in.  It just needs to be a little longer.
Link Posted: 6/5/2014 10:57:17 PM EDT
[#50]
I had to modify the mag catch by adding some metal to it. First I clamped it down to a piece of copper backing

I gobbed on some weld

Then ground it down to the correct size to catch the magazine

Here you can see how it sticks out past the mag walls. I may take a little more off if needed.

Here is a pic of the front takedown pin detente hole. My bit walked a little while drilling and isn't lined up exactly perfect, but works good enough for me.

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 3
Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top