Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 4/23/2014 4:14:49 AM EDT
I'm thinking about replacing my current upper (16" barrel with a carbine length gas system) with a 20" barrel and a rifle-length gas system. I currently have a carbine buffer tube and buffer (not H# or otherwise heavy weight buffer).

Do I need to be concerned about using the carbine buffer, buffer tube, and spring with a rifle-length gas system?
Link Posted: 4/23/2014 4:32:07 AM EDT
[#1]
I just built an 18" rifle length upper and it runs fine with a carbine buffer and spring. I am contemplating a VLTOR A5 to make it a little smoother, but it functions fine with a standard carbine buffer.
Link Posted: 4/23/2014 4:50:15 AM EDT
[#2]
HH/H2.
Link Posted: 4/23/2014 5:12:45 AM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
I'm thinking about replacing my current upper (16" barrel with a carbine length gas system) with a 20" barrel and a rifle-length gas system. I currently have a carbine buffer tube and buffer (not H# or otherwise heavy weight buffer).

Do I need to be concerned about using the carbine buffer, buffer tube, and spring with a rifle-length gas system?
View Quote

MK12
Some M16A4s

My wife's dissipator

Should be fine.
Link Posted: 4/23/2014 5:17:39 AM EDT
[#4]
My ugly stick is running that combination.  Works fine, but it keeps it from functioning within any "gun free zones" that it happens to get near.  
Link Posted: 4/23/2014 5:48:17 AM EDT
[#5]
I am also running a 20" barrel and rifle length gas tube with a carbine buffer. seems fine on mine.
Link Posted: 4/23/2014 5:55:23 AM EDT
[#6]
Fed and Fired about 500 rounds through my 20 inch with carbine buffer and spring, no issues so far.

Posted about a year ago with this exact same question and all the responses were it should work perfectly fine.
Link Posted: 4/23/2014 6:37:10 AM EDT
[#7]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I am also running a 20" barrel and rifle length gas tube with a carbine buffer. seems fine on mine.
View Quote

Same here.  AR#1 has a 20" rifle upper and a CavArms MKII lower.  CavArms lowers are carbine length.
Uses a stock spring and a 9MM buffer.  Been running it this was for many years and thousands of rounds with no issues.

Link Posted: 4/23/2014 6:56:57 AM EDT
[#8]
You mean like the standard Canadian service rifle?

Yes it'll be fine.
Link Posted: 4/23/2014 12:27:53 PM EDT
[#9]
I am running a 20” barrel with a heavy spring and a H3 buffer.
It shoots AE 223 REM ok.
Link Posted: 4/23/2014 9:57:11 PM EDT
[#10]
I'm running a 20" rifle with a Wolff x-tra Power action spring and an H3 buffer that I picked up from BCM and it works great. I switched it up from a standard spring and an H2 buffer.
Link Posted: 4/24/2014 5:00:38 AM EDT
[#11]
I just did it and didn't even think about it.  I'm running an 18" Stag 3GH upper with rifle length gas system and a carbine buffer tube/spring/buffer.  With things being so modular, I guess there's always risk of mismatching things.  

I must confess, I really don't understand the myriad of buffer tube/spring/buffer options and what they're for.
Link Posted: 4/24/2014 7:28:57 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

View Quote

It is not a problem running that configuration.

Keep in mind that for the most part, the buffer/spring and tube are dictated by the stock, not the gas system. There are a few odd ball stocks that don't follow this convention but, If you run a fixed stock you need a rifle tube, buffer and spring. If you opt for a collapsible stock, you would use the carbine tube, buffer and spring.
Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top