Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 4/21/2014 12:35:19 PM EDT
So I got one of these on closeout from Joebob's http://www.joeboboutfitters.com/KIES_Free_Float_Rifle_Length_Handguard_p/kies-mk1ff.htm

It came with one 3" rail section, and I would like to get some more. Searching around online and can't find rails from KIES, so I am wondering if anyone has tried other brand rails on this. The mounting holes are 5 slots aparts.

Also I am wondering if there's a way to mount a full length top rail. There is a hole in the back of the rail meant for set screw but I don't see why it couldn't be used to secure the rail. If anyone has experience with this handguard..please help
Link Posted: 4/21/2014 12:50:55 PM EDT
[#1]
Quoted:
So I got one of these on closeout from Joebob's http://www.joeboboutfitters.com/KIES_Free_Float_Rifle_Length_Handguard_p/kies-mk1ff.htm

It came with one 3" rail section, and I would like to get some more. Searching around online and can't find rails from KIES, so I am wondering if anyone has tried other brand rails on this. The mounting holes are 5 slots aparts.

Also I am wondering if there's a way to mount a full length top rail. There is a hole in the back of the rail meant for set screw but I don't see why it couldn't be used to secure the rail. If anyone has experience with this handguard..please help
View Quote

Did you try the YHM rails for their customizable free float handguard?
Link Posted: 4/21/2014 6:13:16 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Thanks for the idea. Checked them out, but the screw holes are 2 slots too far apart.
Link Posted: 4/23/2014 4:14:23 PM EDT
[#3]
Update: Looks like Diamondhead accessory rails would fit, but I don't think I am going to even bother.

The tube itself is fine, but the barrel nut that it came with is a total POS. When I raised torque wrench setting to 80ft-lb to time the nut, the teeth broke right off. I managed to get it aligned with remaining teeth carefully, put in set screws and called it a day. It's been used on a 22 upper so it won't be taking too much stress anyway, and I don't plan to take it off again.
Link Posted: 4/23/2014 5:05:14 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
Update: Looks like Diamondhead accessory rails would fit, but I don't think I am going to even bother.

The tube itself is fine, but the barrel nut that it came with is a total POS. When I raised torque wrench setting to 80ft-lb to time the nut, the teeth broke right off. I managed to get it aligned with remaining teeth carefully, put in set screws and called it a day. It's been used on a 22 upper so it won't be taking too much stress anyway, and I don't plan to take it off again.
View Quote

Had one of those in the cart and was going to get it with one of their lowers and changed my mind due to their billboard logo on it.  
After reading about your troubles I am glad I did.
Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top