BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 4/9/2014 9:58:17 AM EDT
If you could kindly vote, I'd like your honest opinion.

Link Posted: 4/9/2014 9:59:03 AM EDT
[#1]
Nope
Link Posted: 4/9/2014 9:59:31 AM EDT
[#2]
No but who cares?
Link Posted: 4/9/2014 9:59:33 AM EDT
[#3]
no

and ibtp
Link Posted: 4/9/2014 10:01:48 AM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
No but who cares?
View Quote

Me. Thats why I asked
Link Posted: 4/9/2014 10:13:05 AM EDT
[#5]
No. It looks like the upper was bead blasted before anodizing, while the lower looks like it was blasted with aluminum oxide before finishing...
Link Posted: 4/9/2014 10:43:26 AM EDT
[#6]
No, but you could paint/Cerakote/Durakote/Gun-Kote both and not have to worry about it.
Link Posted: 4/9/2014 11:15:38 AM EDT
[#7]
Dude give it a rest and stop trolling Rainier Arms.

I suspect you intend to use those poll results for something else!

This THREAD is a real example of bad color match

Here are some tricks you can do to help yourself out that do work. Frog Lube Oven Bake instructions.
It does work.. look at the before and after.

After shot of that blue upper - not nearly as blue eh?

Link Posted: 4/9/2014 11:16:18 AM EDT
[#8]
They don't match and it doesn't matter.

Build the rifle you want and then go shoot the heck out of it.
Link Posted: 4/9/2014 11:29:21 AM EDT
[#9]
wah, wah

Good Excuse to get them Cerakoted...

/thread.
Link Posted: 4/9/2014 12:45:38 PM EDT
[#10]
Lotta hate goin on in here.

No they don't match. The upper is too glossy. But like the guys said: get em cerakoted and be done with it. Or return them and buy something else.
Link Posted: 4/9/2014 1:02:50 PM EDT
[#11]
They don't match but that can be because of several reasons. Different alloys of aluminum won't look exactly the same when anodized. Also temperature and how long an item stays is in the acid will make an item look differently. This looks entirely looks like an issue in how they were prepped differently prior to being anodized. One just looks like it was polished up a bit more in a tumbeler. That being said I have a ST billet lower and a Rainer Arms ultra match upper and they are great and honestly I can't say if they match by memory but I just want it to shoot.

If you want a great resource on anodizing check out the Caswell forums. http://forum.caswellplating.com/
Link Posted: 4/9/2014 3:24:26 PM EDT
[#12]
Hell no.
Link Posted: 4/9/2014 3:42:59 PM EDT
[#13]
I voted yes..... There both black.
Link Posted: 4/9/2014 3:50:12 PM EDT
[#14]
Close enough to build a gun. Anytime you mix and match ( not buying complete ) they will not always be perfect. Some of mine are and some are worse than that.
Link Posted: 4/9/2014 5:39:01 PM EDT
[#15]
Not even close.

But then again I spend my days seeing various shades of white:  Stark White, Off White, Snow White,

Matterhorn White,  Oyster White...

After a while you start nit-picking all the other colors too.

The shade and surface finish are way off.

I'd venture to say they probably weren't made by the same manufacturer, being that the surface finish

is so different.
Link Posted: 4/9/2014 8:34:37 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

No they don't match. The upper is too glossy. But like the guys said: get em cerakoted and be done with it. Or return them and buy something else.
View Quote

Because he got his last thread on this locked in part or bashing Rainier Arms. It's getting old.
Link Posted: 4/9/2014 8:53:39 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

Because he got his last thread on this locked in part or bashing Rainier Arms. It's getting old.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I didn't say anything about Rainier Arms… I'm asking a yes or no question here.
Link Posted: 4/9/2014 9:17:57 PM EDT
[#18]
No they don't and I read the other thread. The man expected a matching upper lower as it was advertised. I could care less personally but he cares and didn't get what he paid for. He shouldn't have to pay to Cerakote something.

With that said take it up with the company.  Or krylon the fuck out of it... Personally that's what I would do
Link Posted: 4/9/2014 9:35:26 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

You don't need anyone else to tell you they don't match. That was already established in your other thread. Be an adult & take care of the issue as I'm sure you know how to do. Obviously they don't match & you didn't get what was advertised so you're beating a dead horse here. I'm not sure what you're triyng to accomplish other than getting another thread locked. Good luck either way.
Link Posted: 4/10/2014 6:39:34 AM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

You don't need anyone else to tell you they don't match. That was already established in your other thread. Be an adult & take care of the issue as I'm sure you know how to do. Obviously they don't match & you didn't get what was advertised so you're beating a dead horse here. I'm not sure what you're triyng to accomplish other than getting another thread locked. Good luck either way.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Well, unfortunately I do. Rainier says they match, and won't issue a refund. I just wanted to make sure my eyes are working correctly… Either way, I created this poll because I'm seeking input on a technical issue from the community, and I do appreciate your input.
Link Posted: 4/10/2014 7:22:22 AM EDT
[#21]
try adding some oil the difference in color may just be to surface finish.
Link Posted: 4/10/2014 7:46:52 AM EDT
[#22]
They do not match. If you are expecting colors to match exactly from different parts finished at different times, maybe building isn't for you.
Link Posted: 4/10/2014 7:48:31 AM EDT
[#23]
Then sell it.
Man up and be a resourceful person about it.. and go find an upper or lower that does meet your requirements.

PPL buy Ar15 parts like crack.
You should be able to sell that on backpages in a week easy. Or trade it for a barrel or trigger or something else you don't have yet. Optic!
And take zero loss on it.

I understand you want it to be perfect... I get that... you spent good money and expect more. Its a little bit of a nuance and this is your first rifle. We get it.

I think a NorthTect Lower will match your upper 100% or a mega lower. They are very jet back. Blackest Ive seen yet in person.
Your lower looks more blue... so I would suggest Vltor upper.

Mix and match parts my friend
Northtect Upper Color
Mega Maten Color

Or just say fk it.. and get them both NIB plated like this a have a real rifle for $150
Link Posted: 4/10/2014 1:30:27 PM EDT
[#24]
98 people voted, and not one of them care......which is good!  Unless it's a deal breaker no one will give it a second thought!  Build it, shoot it, move on with your life!
Link Posted: 4/10/2014 2:23:50 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:Well, unfortunately I do. Rainier says they match, and won't issue a refund. I just wanted to make sure my eyes are working correctly… Either way, I created this poll because I'm seeking input on a technical issue from the community, and I do appreciate your input.
View Quote

Color or matching is not a technical issue. It is also not a reason for a return.
Link Posted: 4/10/2014 2:28:45 PM EDT
[#26]
Am I alive right now? This has to be some sort of dream/nightmare.
Link Posted: 4/10/2014 2:56:41 PM EDT
[#27]
20 people have really bad eyes as of right now
Link Posted: 4/10/2014 2:58:34 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
No but who cares?
View Quote

Link Posted: 4/10/2014 3:38:10 PM EDT
[#29]
I am a man- If they are both the black they both match and the total number of colors in the world can adequately be represented by the crayola 32 box.  I don't worry if I am wearing two different shades of seafoam.
Link Posted: 4/10/2014 3:49:20 PM EDT
[#30]
If enough ppl tell you they match....would it really matter?
Link Posted: 4/10/2014 5:49:50 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
Am I alive right now? This has to be some sort of dream/nightmare.
View Quote

Heh heh heh
Link Posted: 4/10/2014 10:08:12 PM EDT
[#32]
They both look black to me...
Link Posted: 4/11/2014 1:30:16 AM EDT
[#33]
They obviously don't match exactly. However, if that's your issue.....none of their pictures on their website shows upper/lower combos from Rainier with an exact match.
Link Posted: 4/11/2014 3:34:54 AM EDT
[#34]
OK folks.  This is about expectations.  I partially agree with the OP.  You buy a matching set ... for a couple reasons.  1.  Fit is just that much better. 2. Finish makes it look like a "matched set".  In my mind the company takes a little extra care in making that happen.  Rainier Arms is where I buy 90% of my parts from.  Its a company where I tell other people to look when they are building or buying a complete rifle.  OK so what if the upper is a blem.... because the anodizing process wasn't done correctly and thats why the color is off.  Did someone mix a gen 1 with a gen 2 upper by mistake.  I have to admit my expectation might be the same as the OP because that's the  standard I hold Rainier to.  Will it work ...yeah. Are there differences in anodizing and the colors yes.  But I have to ask if you were working at Rainier and you had the chance to make a matched set for yourself how would you do it.  I bet you would make it the way the OP is expecting.
Link Posted: 4/11/2014 4:05:15 AM EDT
[#35]
Nobody on the face of this planet can make anodizing match exactly on parts except the Chinese on a $12 flashlight. They nail it every time.

Ranier should well expect that people buying receiver sets with childish zombie horse shit on the side of them are going to be anal retentive about matching finish, and take the necessary steps to see that they do so.
Link Posted: 4/11/2014 7:30:39 AM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:
OK folks.  This is about expectations.  I partially agree with the OP.  You buy a matching set ... for a couple reasons.  1.  Fit is just that much better. 2. Finish makes it look like a "matched set".  In my mind the company takes a little extra care in making that happen.  Rainier Arms is where I buy 90% of my parts from.  Its a company where I tell other people to look when they are building or buying a complete rifle.  OK so what if the upper is a blem.... because the anodizing process wasn't done correctly and thats why the color is off.  Did someone mix a gen 1 with a gen 2 upper by mistake.  I have to admit my expectation might be the same as the OP because that's the  standard I hold Rainier to.  Will it work ...yeah. Are there differences in anodizing and the colors yes.  But I have to ask if you were working at Rainier and you had the chance to make a matched set for yourself how would you do it.  I bet you would make it the way the OP is expecting.
View Quote

There was nothing apparently wrong with the anodizing process in this case. They just don't match perfectly as the OP was told they would (advertised as a matching set). We've gone over this a million times. Anodizing can/does vary even within the same batch that is anodized at the same time. It's not a perfect process. Then you have receivers that come from diferent batches & they can vary widely. This should be common knowledge but I'm thinking the OP was not privvy to this info. Rainier will not exchange or refund the OP & he's upset. I can understand where he's coming from but many of us can't be sympathetic because color matching is low on the perverbial totum pole as it should be with such a weapon as the AR family is.
Link Posted: 4/11/2014 8:21:32 AM EDT
[#37]
Upper looks as it was tumbled in a ceramic media before anodizing  & the lower looks bead blasted before finish.
Link Posted: 4/11/2014 12:49:45 PM EDT
[#38]
And you have a thread about cerakoting just the upper? If you're worried about them matching why would you cerakote just the upper?
Link Posted: 4/12/2014 1:02:28 PM EDT
[#39]

Seriously
Link Posted: 4/12/2014 2:15:03 PM EDT
[#40]
Looks good.
Link Posted: 4/12/2014 2:52:12 PM EDT
[#41]
Nope no way that will shoot with the finishes that far off.  Actually I voted yes, that is close enough to consider matching to me. That's just me though.
Link Posted: 4/12/2014 3:03:02 PM EDT
[#42]
Build it....shoot it...or send me the parts!
Link Posted: 4/12/2014 4:50:21 PM EDT
[#43]
Yep, they are black.
Link Posted: 4/13/2014 1:58:36 AM EDT
[#44]
No they dont, but i have repeatedly wiped down non matching lowers/uppers with clp and let sit and repeat and this makes them very close
Link Posted: 4/13/2014 4:45:50 AM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:
I voted yes..... There both black.
View Quote

Link Posted: 4/13/2014 4:57:54 AM EDT
[#46]
I didnt vote, there was no care? Option
Link Posted: 4/13/2014 7:45:24 AM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:
Looks good.
View Quote

Link Posted: 4/13/2014 7:59:00 AM EDT
[#48]
Contradiction?
Link Posted: 4/13/2014 11:15:33 AM EDT
[#49]
Link Posted: 4/13/2014 6:00:20 PM EDT
[#50]
Did you get what you paid for?

It's like buying a new car, you paid for a black one and got grey instead.  Do you just rub some tar over the paint and be done with it?

it's your money, your decision.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top