Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 4/7/2014 10:36:40 AM EDT
Anybody take one? Is it practical/ worth it for someone who is thinking about modding AR15s as a sideline??

Thinking seriously about going beyond tinkering and I figure it would be a good place to start. Opinions and experiences needed. Thanks in advance!
Link Posted: 4/7/2014 11:00:36 AM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 4/7/2014 12:14:22 PM EDT
[#2]
Looks like an excellent resource for a number of things. Five year cert and the fact that one of his open courses isnt that far makes it a real possibility in my near future. Thanks!
Link Posted: 4/7/2014 12:29:37 PM EDT
[#3]
Ive done the Colt course a couple times when my job required a factory cert.  

Link Posted: 4/7/2014 1:16:55 PM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Ive done the Colt course a couple times when my job required a factory cert.  

View Quote

I took Greg's course to satisfy my company's job requirements.
Link Posted: 4/7/2014 1:29:46 PM EDT
[#5]
Greg was in one of the Pat Rogers courses I took, good guy  I have no doubt that he can teach you what you need to know.  But sometimes the only acceptable factory cert is Colt.  On the other hand I don't think that the Sully courses required the DoD/LE affiliation that Colt does.  

Link Posted: 4/7/2014 1:39:21 PM EDT
[#6]
I took an armorer's course last fall, and it was OK.  There was not much in there you would not pick up on this board, after filtering out all the BS.

It did reinforce that some guys on this board know what they are talking about, but filtering that through all the BS is hard to do.

One of the eye opening experiences was looking over guy's factory rifles they brought in for a tech inspection.  Gotta wonder what some of those small shops are thinking - putting locktite on a loose unstaked castlenut, allowing the receiver extension space to unthread....   Stuff like that is not reserved for noob builders.  Poorly staked carrier keys with Chinese YFS marked screws were very common.

I had to take issue with the guy teaching the course.  He laughed at the "One M16 part makes it a machinegun" idea.  That was not a joke 10-15 years ago, before the internet put paid to this idea....

He knew next to nothing about building ARs as he was little more than an informed parts assembler.  I went to the course with an eye to barrel making and parts making. I was going to get into the 80% receiver game in 2000-2001, and I wanted a better in depth view of the manufacturing angle.
Link Posted: 4/7/2014 1:53:26 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
I took an armorer's course last fall, and it was OK.  There was not much in there you would not pick up on this board, after filtering out all the BS.

It did reinforce that some guys on this board know what they are talking about, but filtering that through all the BS is hard to do.

One of the eye opening experiences was looking over guy's factory rifles they brought in for a tech inspection.  Gotta wonder what some of those small shops are thinking - putting locktite on a loose unstaked castlenut, allowing the receiver extension space to unthread....   Stuff like that is not reserved for noob builders.  Poorly staked carrier keys with Chinese YFS marked screws were very common.

I had to take issue with the guy teaching the course.  He laughed at the "One M16 part makes it a machinegun" idea.  That was not a joke 10-15 years ago, before the internet put paid to this idea....

He knew next to nothing about building ARs as he was little more than an informed parts assembler.  I went to the course with an eye to barrel making and parts making. I was going to get into the 80% receiver game in 2000-2001, and I wanted a better in depth view of the manufacturing angle.
View Quote

Roger that. Thats the point of this post. I want to find out whats out there as far as instruction and the quality of that instruction. The scope of the course does not need to be machining or expert gunsmithing. Not yet anyway.

Thanks, all!
Link Posted: 4/7/2014 4:19:07 PM EDT
[#8]
I actually took one here in CT two weekends ago. It was informative even though I've been playing with these things for going on 15 years now. If you can learn just a few new things I'd say it's worth it. You can learn some of the more intricate tricks of building and working on the platform.
Link Posted: 4/7/2014 5:19:37 PM EDT
[#9]
Defensive Edge, Greg Sullivan's outfit.  He's good at teaching, he knows his stuff, and yes, it can be worth your time.
Link Posted: 4/7/2014 5:26:15 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
View Quote

That's what an armorer is. Barrel and parts making is gunsmithing, which requires machining knowledge and it's own education.
Link Posted: 4/7/2014 5:29:44 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
Greg was in one of the Pat Rogers courses I took, good guy  I have no doubt that he can teach you what you need to know.  But sometimes the only acceptable factory cert is Colt.  On the other hand I don't think that the Sully courses required the DoD/LE affiliation that Colt does.  
View Quote

I've taken Sully's basic and advanced, Colt's course, and SAW's advanced.  Sully's course is definitely good to go from a course content point of view.  (I understand that some departments might dictate it be the Colt course if they bought Colt rifles....but there's no other reason to worry about it.)
Link Posted: 4/18/2014 7:24:01 AM EDT
[#12]
Link Posted: 4/18/2014 3:51:53 PM EDT
[#13]
I been to a couple of Armorer courses I have found from off this site.  SLR course is very thorough and a very good class to go to.  The other class I went to was more of an AR familiarization class it was local to me.  I was quite frustrated with it after having taken Sully's.  I looked at a class offered by a competitive board Mod.  That class was priced about the same and SLR, Lasted about the same length of time and at the end the fine print says BRING THIS BRING THAT.  They require you to have your own armorer kit before you ever go to class.  That was the deal right there.  Greg brings it all.  The man brings in stand up vises mounted on wheels and pipe.  This is the best bargain class I have seen advertised for open enrollment, civilian available classes.  Money well spent.  Just thought I would share the comparisons I have found which were non comparisons.  
I have looked at and will not hesitate to attend more of SLR educational classes in the future.  
Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top