User Panel

Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 3/18/2014 5:46:38 PM EDT
[#1]
I haven't abused one...yet.

These seem nicely made and well thought out.

http://www.tnarmsco.com/
Link Posted: 3/18/2014 5:58:14 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

Per chance do you work for the new Cav Arms? Most are aware that Cav Arms receivers are the usual exception. However, when speaking of polymer receivers most are referring to the Plum Crazy, New Frontier, Ati, etc. Drive on.
View Quote

I worked for Cavalry Arms Corp, the original manufacturers of the CAV–15, from 2001 to 2010 when it closed down.

I worked for Cavalry Manufactuing LLC (only makes AR15 furniture and non regulated parts) until August of 2012.

The CAV-15 MKII was sold to GWACS Armory at the end of 2011.  They're one of my Sponsors and I demo their product at events and to dealers because of my familiarity with it and above average shooting skills.

The CAV-15 MKII was out of production for almost 2 years between Cav Arms corp closing and GWACS becoming operational.  In that time, other polymer brands did considerable damage to the general concept.  I've encountered dealers who won't even consider CAV-15 MKIIs because they had such terrible experiences with other brands.   I still run into a lot of people that think CAV-15s are completely discontinued or who's only experience with polymer lowers is other brands.  That's why I feel a clear distinction must be made.

I believe in the product and I've been there for every step of it's development.  I don't care if people buy them or not, but I would like to see them held in a different regard by the shooting community.
Link Posted: 3/18/2014 6:03:37 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:

I worked for Cavalry Arms Corp, the original manufacturers of the CAV–15, from 2001 to 2010 when it closed down.

I worked for Cavalry Manufactuing LLC (only makes AR15 furniture and non regulated parts) until August of 2012.

The CAV-15 MKII was sold to GWACS Armory at the end of 2011.  They're one of my Sponsors and I demo their product at events and to dealers because of my familiarity with it and above average shooting skills.

The CAV-15 MKII was out of production for almost 2 years between Cav Arms corp closing and GWACS becoming operational.  In that time, other polymer brands did considerable damage to the general concept.  I've encountered dealers who won't even consider CAV-15 MKIIs because they had such terrible experiences with other brands.   I still run into a lot of people that think CAV-15s are completely discontinued or who's only experience with polymer lowers is other brands.  That's why I feel a clear distinction must be made.

I believe in the product and I've been there for every step of it's development.  I don't care if people buy them or not, but I would like to see them held in a different regard by the shooting community.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Per chance do you work for the new Cav Arms? Most are aware that Cav Arms receivers are the usual exception. However, when speaking of polymer receivers most are referring to the Plum Crazy, New Frontier, Ati, etc. Drive on.

It's about the only poly lower I would consider if I were going for a super-light build.  I have seen a few CAV15 failures over the years, mostly along the parting line in the mag well, and usually due to the owner letting the upper swing on the pivot pin, but nowhere near the fallout of many of the other poly offerings.
Link Posted: 3/18/2014 6:03:52 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I hear you. Thanks for the clarification.
Link Posted: 3/18/2014 6:17:09 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

It's about the only poly lower I would consider if I were going for a super-light build.  I have seen a few CAV15 failures over the years, mostly along the parting line in the mag well, and usually due to the owner letting the upper swing on the pivot pin, but nowhere near the fallout of many of the other poly offerings.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Honestly GWACS has better quality control than we did at Cav Arms.  This is largely due to GWACS being set up to run smaller batches with more attention to detail.  The infrastructure at Cav Arms forced us to run a years worth all at once in a couple weeks time.  GWACS has really refined the manufacturing process from what it was.

Link Posted: 3/18/2014 10:42:17 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
I think I have made a decision, I'm gonna go with this http://www.80percentarms.com/products/80-lower-receiver-type-iii-hard-anodized-billet-ar-15

I already have the drill press, and a cross slide vise, the only problem I foresee is my drill press lowest rpm is 530...that may be to fast for some of the steps with bigger bits.
View Quote

I ran my 1/2" drill at about 630 rpm.  The 370 setting was too slow for it.  You should be perfectly fine.  I'd find a good drill/tap lube.  My favorite is Rapid Tap by Relton.  Comes in a yellow can or squeeze bottle and stays on the tool so you don't have to re lube as often as using WD40 or something like it.
Link Posted: 3/21/2014 8:23:15 PM EDT
[#7]
absolutely no reason for me to have a synthetic lower but if I felt the need I would get a cav arms lower.

its the only one that was designed as a synthetic lower not a synthetic lower that just copies an alum lower,IMHO
Link Posted: 3/22/2014 9:35:10 AM EDT
[#8]
Are the Cav Arms lowers RDIAS compatible?
Link Posted: 3/22/2014 9:49:57 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
absolutely no reason for me to have a synthetic lower but if I felt the need I would get a cav arms lower.
its the only one that was designed as a synthetic lower not a synthetic lower that just copies an alum lower,IMHO
View Quote

+1

If engineered correctly from the ground up, incorporating polymer into an AR lower is doable.

And I agree, cav arms is probably the only one I have seen that I would trust.  I just can't get past the looks.
Link Posted: 3/22/2014 11:43:12 AM EDT
[#10]
Quick question, not pertaining to any side of the fence, but does a polymer lower weigh less then a aluminum?  

I went to a gun show the other day, and a women was peddling these polymer frontier lowers wearing a recycle shirt .  I picked one up and she came up to me and ased "have you seen those youtube videos demonstrating how strong the magwel is compared to a aluminum lower?", "Yes, I have, those videos are crap, have you seen real world examples of these pieces of shit exploding at the take down pins and buffer tube sections?".  She took her crap and walked away like a snob knowing deep down she was peddling crap and trying to make a buck off some sap.   She even tried to give it some military endorsement with some empty claims  saying an army battalion bought a handful of them.  

But really, are they lighter?  If not, then why would a polymer lower ever be considered?
Link Posted: 3/22/2014 11:45:48 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
Quick question, not pertaining to any side of the fence, but does a polymer lower weigh less then a aluminum?  

I went to a gun show the other day, and women was peddling these lowers.  I picked one up and she came up to me and said "have you seen those youtube videos demonstrating how strong the magwel is compared to a aluminum lower?", "Yes, I have, those videos are crap, have you seen real world explains of these pieces of shit exploding at the take down pins and buffer tube sections?".  She took her crap and walked away.

But really, are they lighter?  If not, then why would a polymer lower ever be considered?
View Quote

The super-light ones are the weak non-reinforced ones.
The ones that are reinforced weigh nearly as much as aluminum.

Poly lowers are cheap, and in 80% form, they are easier to machine, but other than that, there is no real advantage.
Link Posted: 3/22/2014 1:31:41 PM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:

View Quote

I was wondering the same thing.

I'm guessing not since they likely left as much material as possible for strength.

Link Posted: 3/22/2014 2:14:48 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

I'm guessing not since they likely left as much material as possible for strength.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

They used to be, but I haven't bought one in ten years, so they might have changed the internal design since.  

Through the 2nd or 3rd gen models that I bought, they just required a little trimming with an xacto knife, or a bit of small filing to let the DIAS body fit, and would fit a lightning link as well.  I even turned one into a post-sample registered receiver MG that still runs fine to this day.
Link Posted: 3/22/2014 3:30:06 PM EDT
[#14]
I built a EP 80% lower and it felt like crap and the pins would slide in and out on some holes and others would be to tight. Once I put in the grip screw it cracked long the back. Not even going to return it just hang it on a wall as a reminder of why not to buy another one
Link Posted: 3/22/2014 5:08:41 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
I built a EP 80% lower and it felt like crap and the pins would slide in and out on some holes and others would be to tight. Once I put in the grip screw it cracked long the back. Not even going to return it just hang it on a wall as a reminder of why not to buy another one
View Quote

BATFE may come visit & pick it up for you.    Apparently someone forgot to send a sample into Tech Branch before they started selling 'em.  
Link Posted: 3/22/2014 5:22:09 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

They used to be, but I haven't bought one in ten years, so they might have changed the internal design since.  

Through the 2nd or 3rd gen models that I bought, they just required a little trimming with an xacto knife, or a bit of small filing to let the DIAS body fit, and would fit a lightning link as well.  I even turned one into a post-sample registered receiver MG that still runs fine to this day.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Thanks Circuits.
I checked some video and images and the 3rd gen look to be low shelf.
They are local to me so I will be picking one up this week if I can get by there.
Link Posted: 3/22/2014 7:59:19 PM EDT
[#17]
I would never get a poly lower but someone wanting to experiment a little might. The only other reason I see a need for this is to piss off anti-gun folk because why not? Jokes aside they're probably only ever suited for .22lr
Link Posted: 3/22/2014 8:17:14 PM EDT
[#18]
On a lark, I've put over 5000 rounds through a New Frontier polymer lower.  About 1500 5.56 and 5.45, and the rest 22lr, with no issues.

I've also got over 10000 rounds full auto 9mm through the Cavalry Arms lower I converted to a post-sample machinegun.

Not saying polymer lowers are the equal of any aluminum lower, but they certainly haven't given me the problems people have seen with the plum crazy lowers...  Cavarms and New Frontier are OK in my book.  I have no personal experience with plum crazy or ATI or the slew of other finished and 80% polymer lowers.
Link Posted: 3/23/2014 3:05:14 AM EDT
[#19]
so as a rep of a manufacturer, I can come into a tech forum on AR-15.com and crap on peoples experiences and opinions, with no recourse, if I have 10K posts. If I tried this with 100 posts, I'd get banned. Beautiful.
Link Posted: 3/23/2014 7:08:43 AM EDT
[#20]
Link Posted: 3/23/2014 7:22:31 AM EDT
[#21]
No one likes a shill.  Perhaps SinistralRifleman you could acknowledge your relationship with the manufacturer before making your claims.  You may have had great experience with poly lowers but please don't try to tell me they are BETTER than aluminum.  I think the Daniel Defense torture test was a little bit tougher than your poly stock could have handled.  Dishonesty does not become you. and to stay more on topic...I would consider poly on a .22 such as MP 15-22.
Link Posted: 3/23/2014 7:26:08 AM EDT
[#22]
Link Posted: 3/23/2014 8:09:41 AM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
View Quote

For the 99.999% of us who will never run full auto, it doesn't matter.
Link Posted: 3/23/2014 8:18:08 AM EDT
[#24]
My video I posted in my first reply says "I'm with GWACS Armory" (they're one of my sponsors) my match sponsors are listed on my blog that I also linked to.  I don't know how I can be anymore transparent than that.
Link Posted: 3/23/2014 9:59:41 AM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

BATFE may come visit & pick it up for you.    Apparently someone forgot to send a sample into Tech Branch before they started selling 'em.  
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

It was actually a gift so they might show up at their house what are they going to do about it though? just take them or are they going to start slapping people with felony gun charges?
Link Posted: 3/23/2014 10:07:20 AM EDT
[#26]
Would never buy one
Link Posted: 3/23/2014 10:19:42 AM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:

It was actually a gift so they might show up at their house what are they going to do about it though? just take them or are they going to start slapping people with felony gun charges?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

It wouldn't do them any good to come after non-felon customers in free states.  We bought it in good faith, EP Armory did not take advantage of the regulatory process & got us all screwed.  BATFE might ask for it back, they might send you a 4473 to sign (doubtful), or EP Armory might offer you a full refund (very doubtful).  If you  bought one behind enemy lines, then your state might try to bring charges for an unregistered assault weapon, but again, you bought it in good faith as a paperweight.  But your state might try a search warrant for it, & hope to find other unregistered guns or guns in an unlawful configuration.  Known felons who received these are screwed.
Link Posted: 3/23/2014 2:46:50 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:

It wouldn't do them any good to come after non-felon customers in free states.  We bought it in good faith, EP Armory did not take advantage of the regulatory process & got us all screwed.  BATFE might ask for it back, they might send you a 4473 to sign (doubtful), or EP Armory might offer you a full refund (very doubtful).  If you  bought one behind enemy lines, then your state might try to bring charges for an unregistered assault weapon, but again, you bought it in good faith as a paperweight.  But your state might try a search warrant for it, & hope to find other unregistered guns or guns in an unlawful configuration.  Known felons who received these are screwed.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Well I dont think ND would do much about it, its more the feds that worry me.
Link Posted: 3/23/2014 4:10:17 PM EDT
[#29]
Bought one for $35, sold it for $55. I'll never own one with the intent to build it.
Link Posted: 3/23/2014 5:17:43 PM EDT
[#30]
Please don't ask for free stuff or pimp your website here - Eric802

Link Posted: 3/23/2014 7:58:01 PM EDT
[#31]
The 2 Gun Action Challenge match is a club level rifle/pistol match held at the Pima Pistol Club every 3rd Saturday of the month.  It is not for profit and every $15 match fee goes directly to supporting the club.  Info on the match can be found in the Arizona home town forum here.

If anyone wants to run any type of firearms test (like I did with the CAV-15 in the  video in this thread) there they are welcome to do so if they clear it with the match director.  Employees, reps, and sponsored shooters from a wide variety of companies attend on a regular basis.  What works and what doesn't is rapidly sorted out and people don't show up with something that doesn't work more than once.  

Link Posted: 3/23/2014 9:26:53 PM EDT
[#32]
Never.

Ever.

Never.
Link Posted: 3/24/2014 5:11:55 AM EDT
[#33]
No one was "pimping" anything nor we were "asking for free stuff", just providing a unique opportunity.

I'll refrain from participating in this forum further, thank you for the sanity check.

Link Posted: 3/24/2014 6:24:48 AM EDT
[#34]
Link Posted: 3/24/2014 6:34:13 AM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:

When your post says "If anyone wants to send us a lower to test...", that's asking for stuff.

Sorry, but new account with that in a post, along with a link to your website, tends to indicate certain things. If I'm wrong, please stick around.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
No one was "pimping" anything nor we were "asking for free stuff", just providing a unique opportunity.

I'll refrain from participating in this forum further, thank you for the sanity check.

When your post says "If anyone wants to send us a lower to test...", that's asking for stuff.

Sorry, but new account with that in a post, along with a link to your website, tends to indicate certain things. If I'm wrong, please stick around.

You are wrong, but no thanks.  

I'm unsure how anyone could perceive that we benefit from this, destroying an item at a match is no personal gain to us as match directors...it's just an interesting test environment.

I have more useful ways to waste my time than to deal with this nonsense, so sticking around after this welcome really isn't on my agenda.

Link Posted: 3/24/2014 6:51:48 AM EDT
[#36]

Would it be too GD of me to post this picture?

Sadly, yes - Eric802
View Quote

I sowwy
Link Posted: 3/24/2014 10:26:46 AM EDT
[#37]
Good night Irene...... Put it to bed.
Link Posted: 3/24/2014 3:35:27 PM EDT
[#38]
This has gotten out of hand so fast....thought I was in GD
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top