Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 3/10/2014 6:14:35 PM EDT
I am about to go purchase a stripped lower receiver, and I know this sounds dumb but what do I need to bring to be prepared for?

Also, just curious, how long will I have to wait before It is actually mine? I've heard 7 days but I was't quite too sure.
Link Posted: 3/10/2014 6:25:55 PM EDT
[#1]
Here is a thread from last year on this topic:
http://www.ar15.com/archive/topic.html?b=8&f=24&t=529407

I was visiting Richmond last month. Brother in law was getting married. Groom, his dad, and I went to the local gun show the morning of the wedding to get him over his jitters... As everywhere, overpriced everything... But I didn't hear anyone mention any scary laws. Awww it's nice to be in TX... I never have to think about those things (for the most part)...

Link Posted: 3/10/2014 6:30:05 PM EDT
[#2]
Will I be getting the lower on the spot? Or how long am I expecting to be waiting?
Link Posted: 3/10/2014 6:33:01 PM EDT
[#3]
Just like any other gun purchase...fill out the paperwork, write the check, go home with it.  No waiting.  

This is an easy state to purchase guns in or get your CCP.

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
Link Posted: 3/10/2014 6:37:39 PM EDT
[#4]
You need your ID and a piece of mail with matching address. I've heard of some places requiring a 3rd form, but I haven't purchased anything lately. How soon you get the lower depends on you and if someone else has a similar name that just so happens to be a criminal.
Link Posted: 3/10/2014 6:52:50 PM EDT
[#5]
Most FFL's I've dealt with treat stripped lowers the same as complete lowers, in that purchasers must comply with the state "assault weapon purchase" caveat.  Here are the particulars from the VSP website:

Transfer  of an Assault Firearm

Proof  of citizenship, or of lawful admission for a permanent
residence, must be  established prior to the purchase of an "assault
firearm." An assault  firearm is defined as any semi-automatic
center-fire rifle or pistol that  expels single or multiple projectiles
by action of an explosion of a  combustible material and is equipped at
the time of offence with a magazine  which will hold more than 20 rounds
of ammunition or designed by the  manufacturer to accommodate a
silencer or equipped with a folding stock.

One  of the following forms of proof of citizenship or lawful residence, pursuant to §18.2-308.2 must be presented to purchase an assault firearm:

• a certified birth certificate       or certificate of birth abroad issued by the US State Department,

• an un-expired US Passport,

• a U. S. citizen identification       card,

• a current voter registration       card,

• a current selective service       registration card,

• an immigrant or registration       card issued by the Immigration and Naturalization Service, and

• a certificate of citizenship or       a certificate of
    naturalization issued by the Immigration and       Naturalization
    Service.

Not that big a deal, you just have to provide that extra piece of I.D..  I keep a copy of my voter registration card in my wallet just for this purpose.
Link Posted: 3/10/2014 7:29:59 PM EDT
[#6]
3 Government Issued ID with matching addresses, such as, DL, DMV registration, and Voter's registration.
That's all you need in VA.
Link Posted: 3/11/2014 2:28:18 AM EDT
[#7]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
3 Government Issued ID with matching addresses, such as, DL, DMV registration, and Voter's registration.
That's all you need in VA.
View Quote

^^ This, and as already mentioned, you will probably leave with it provided you don't get "delayed" on the background check. Then it's only a 24hr wait.   I get delayed every time I purchase a weapon, and I'm LE, lol.
Link Posted: 3/11/2014 6:48:52 AM EDT
[#8]
Yeah, VA has that extra requirement for "assault weapons" so I use my birth certificate to prove citizenship.

Funny thing is, when I picked up the last stripped lower I bought the clerk told me that the lower doesn't count as an assault weapon, so I only needed to show the normal twp IDs (driver's license / check with address on it).

They made me show the birth certificate for all my previous stripped receiver transfers, so bring it just in case you get a clerk who's not sure what he's doing.  Or, talk to the store manager beforehand to straighten it out.
Link Posted: 3/11/2014 7:28:20 AM EDT
[#9]
Voter registration satisfies the requirement for the address and proof of citizenship.
Link Posted: 3/11/2014 9:28:26 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
Most FFL's I've dealt with treat stripped lowers the same as complete lowers, in that purchasers must comply with the state "assault weapon purchase" caveat.  Here are the particulars from the VSP website:

Proof  of citizenship, or of lawful admission for a permanent residence, must be  established prior to the purchase of an "assault firearm." An assault  firearm is defined as any semi-automatic center-fire rifle or pistol that  expels single or multiple projectiles by action of an explosion of a  combustible material and is equipped at the time of offence with a magazine  which will hold more than 20 rounds of ammunition or designed by the  manufacturer to accommodate a silencer or equipped with a folding stock.

One  of the following forms of proof of citizenship or lawful residence, pursuant to §18.2-308.2 must be presented to purchase an assault firearm:

• a certified birth certificate       or certificate of birth abroad issued by the US State Department,
  • an immigrant or registration       card issued by the Immigration and Naturalization Service, and
  • a certificate of citizenship or       a certificate of naturalization issued by the Immigration and       Naturalization Service.
Not that big a deal, you just have to provide that extra piece of I.D..  I keep a copy of my voter registration card in my wallet just for this purpose.
View Quote

This^ I've purchased 5 black rifles in VA in last 5 mos needed birth cert 3 times
Link Posted: 3/11/2014 9:57:37 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

Proof  of citizenship, or of lawful admission for a permanent residence, must be  established prior to the purchase of an "assault firearm." An assault  firearm is defined as any semi-automatic center-fire rifle or pistol that  expels single or multiple projectiles by action of an explosion of a  combustible material and is equipped at the time of offence with a magazine  which will hold more than 20 rounds of ammunition or designed by the  manufacturer to accommodate a silencer or equipped with a folding stock.

• a certificate of citizenship or       a certificate of naturalization issued by the Immigration and       Naturalization Service.
View Quote

This. Seems like the easiest solution to me.
Link Posted: 3/11/2014 11:07:45 AM EDT
[#12]

DL, Voter Registration, & CHP . . . Don’t leave home without them!

Link Posted: 4/22/2014 9:12:36 PM EDT
[#13]
I used my drivers license and social security card.
Link Posted: 4/23/2014 5:28:58 AM EDT
[#14]
So a stripped lower is classified as an "Assault firearm"? in VA?
Link Posted: 4/23/2014 12:04:51 PM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:

View Quote
Every FFL I've dealt with here in the Commonwealth treats stripped lowers the same as a complete AR.  It's one of those little strange laws we have to deal with here in the Commonwealth.  The only thing that changes is you have to produce a third ID that has your current address in it (my earlier post has the State Patrols list of acceptable ID's).

It really isn't that big a deal and it's never been an issue for me; I just whip out my voter registration card as a third ID and that's that.

Link Posted: 4/23/2014 12:07:54 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
View Quote

It may be a gray area where FFLs are practicing CYA transfers.
Link Posted: 4/23/2014 5:25:51 PM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:

Every FFL I've dealt with here in the Commonwealth treats stripped lowers the same as a complete AR.  It's one of those little strange laws we have to deal with here in the Commonwealth.  The only thing that changes is you have to produce a third ID that has your current address in it (my earlier post has the State Patrols list of acceptable ID's).

It really isn't that big a deal and it's never been an issue for me; I just whip out my voter registration card as a third ID and that's that.

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Not mine. I only need only 2 forms of ID to buy lowers. I'm not saying anyone is right or wrong, but my FFL only looks for 2 ID's. OP, I'd bring 3 just in case.

Link Posted: 4/24/2014 7:26:35 AM EDT
[#18]
You also have to live in the state and have a current VA drivers license.  I tried to buy a lower once and they wouldn't sell it to me cause I didn't live there.  I think this goes for any state though.
Link Posted: 4/24/2014 8:08:43 AM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
Not mine. I only need only 2 forms of ID to buy lowers. I'm not saying anyone is right or wrong, but my FFL only looks for 2 ID's. OP, I'd bring 3 just in case.  
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

ditto here. only needed 2, but bring 3 jic
Link Posted: 4/24/2014 9:49:44 AM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
You also have to live in the state and have a current VA drivers license.  I tried to buy a lower once and they wouldn't sell it to me cause I didn't live there.  I think this goes for any state though.
View Quote

Yes, federal law.  Firearms can only legally be purchased in your state of residence, except that complete rifles or complete shotguns may be purchased from an FFL in any state, provided your state and the FFL's state laws do not prohibit it.
Link Posted: 4/25/2014 5:29:19 PM EDT
[#21]
never had anyone ask me for three id's........bought dozens of lowers................
Link Posted: 5/2/2014 8:48:13 AM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
never had anyone ask me for three id's........bought dozens of lowers................
View Quote

yup always been just two.

I have used:
VA DL and Fishing Permit
VA DL and Voter ID card
Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top