Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 1/16/2014 9:12:40 PM EDT
Besides buying a gas block drilling jig to pin the block to the barrel (which are proprietary to each gas block design), is there any special trick to this? I cringe at spending $80 on a jig that I am going to use once then be stuck with because no one wants to buy these things. I honestly doubt Id use it more than a few times in my entire life. Im pinning a low pro gas block (spikes, vltor, troy or badger) to a spikes tactical chf 14.5" optimum profile barrel .750 at gas block. Any help is welcome!
Link Posted: 1/16/2014 9:27:43 PM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 1/17/2014 1:47:28 AM EDT
[#2]
A gas block jig is not necessarily  needed to dimple a barrel.
While it does make it easier in a repeated manufacturing environment doing a single dimple is just not that hard.

Install gas block and confirm alignment and function. Remove front set screw and drill dimple.... done.

Link Posted: 1/17/2014 3:23:13 AM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
If you have our barrel and our gas block send it to me and I'll pin it for free.
View Quote

Take this offer. Pinning it will be much better than dimpling the barrel for set screws.
Link Posted: 1/17/2014 4:32:19 AM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:

Take this offer. Pinning it will be much better than dimpling the barrel for set screws.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
If you have our barrel and our gas block send it to me and I'll pin it for free.

This.

An offer you can't refuse?
Link Posted: 1/17/2014 9:25:02 PM EDT
[#5]
To be clear, I want this gas block drilled through side to side and pinned, not dimpled. Dimpling is very easy and I can do that all day long no problem, drilling through the gas block side to side and the bottom of the barrel side to side is a whole nother story... I wont even try that without a jig or some kinda whiz-bang ninja trickery as drilling through the side of an angled piece of metal is not my expertise. If the offer is for side to side drilling and pinning I will definitely take you up on that! Below is a picture of the Spikes Tactical CHF barrel with Spikes Tactical LPGB drilled and pinned. Hope its ok to use AIM's pic of the product here, I know some people are real legal-seagull on that kinda stuff.

Link Posted: 1/17/2014 9:34:08 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Definitely! Don't know If I worded something incorrectly in my original post but I do not want anything dimpled, just drilled and pinned. Ive had set screw gas blocks walk on me even when dimpled and set with Loctite, no fun when you start having short strokes or a straight pull AR...
Link Posted: 1/17/2014 9:56:26 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
View Quote

I would love to take up this offer, would I need to buy the pin as the gas block and barrel don't come with one and send it with the barrel and gas block? I am going to be ordering the Spikes Tactical 14.5" CHF Mid-Length 1/7 Optimum Contour barrel from Brownells and the Spike's Tactical SUGB120 Low Profile gas block from BRAVO-CO as soon as I figure this out (maybe I can have it shipped straight to you?), its the only place I can find it in stock and its cheaper than everywhere else anyway. BTW, love your products, cant wait to put it to use!
Link Posted: 1/17/2014 10:30:28 PM EDT
[#8]
Link Posted: 1/18/2014 8:04:44 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
Yeah just send it to my attention. I'll cross pin it and send it back to you.
View Quote

Sounds perfect! I will PM you on here for address and name to ATTN on mailing. Thanks!
Link Posted: 1/19/2014 11:06:31 PM EDT
[#10]
ASDF!!! They had the barrel in stock yesterday, now its out of stock. Never fails, soon as I have the $$$ for the hard to get item... it goes out of stock. Wish I got paid on Friday like a lot of people did due to the holiday today on Monday, id have a new barrel on the way if I did. LoL!
Link Posted: 1/25/2014 11:22:50 AM EDT
[#11]
Barrel and gas block are now ordered, is the offer for drill and cross pin still on the table?
Link Posted: 3/26/2014 10:22:51 AM EDT
[#12]
Link Posted: 3/26/2014 11:01:21 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
View Quote

Gawd I love you guys spikes - how awesome is that!
Link Posted: 3/26/2014 9:20:46 PM EDT
[#14]
Id still like to know is there a certain method to doing this also. After getting my bock pinned i feel its the only way to go. Will the BRD gas block jig work with most gas blocks? Was thinking of pinning an adjustable one.
Link Posted: 3/27/2014 6:54:40 AM EDT
[#15]
I  typically use my jigs (duh) but Ive done other blocks too.  I've done them on the mini mill, use a 1/8" end mill to mill a flat, then drill and ream the hole.

The key is having a way to get it in the right spot, thats where the mill is handy (or jig lol).

Link Posted: 3/27/2014 6:19:00 PM EDT
[#16]
Hey comp1911, i know youve said that your jig fits most block, but cant u tell us off the top which blocks it doesnt fit?
Link Posted: 3/27/2014 11:50:36 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

Yes please shoot me an email - [email protected]
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Barrel and gas block are now ordered, is the offer for drill and cross pin still on the table?

What's this "aol'?

Link Posted: 3/28/2014 5:09:07 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
Hey comp1911, i know youve said that your jig fits most block, but cant u tell us off the top which blocks it doesnt fit?
View Quote

Are you talking about the pin drilling jig or dimple jig? The pinning jig works with Vltor, BCM and Rainier 0.750 blocks. It may with others but those I have tried. It was designed around the Vltor. I have some new designs coming for the 0.625" Vltor and one for the 0.625" BCM.

The dimple jig has a 0.460" hole spacing which matches the LaRue, Vltor, BCM, Rainier and Fobus for sure. You can always use it for the dimple under the gas port.
Link Posted: 4/1/2014 8:23:23 PM EDT
[#19]
comp1911,

I picked up your VLTOR jig and it is a very nice product. Am I shooting myself in the foot by filing on it a bit to get it to fit Troy and Midwest industries Low pro gas blocks? I figured I'd just shim it later for VLTOR. Is that the way to do it?
Link Posted: 4/1/2014 11:19:23 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

Are you talking about the pin drilling jig or dimple jig? The pinning jig works with Vltor, BCM and Rainier 0.750 blocks. It may with others but those I have tried. It was designed around the Vltor. I have some new designs coming for the 0.625" Vltor and one for the 0.625" BCM.

The dimple jig has a 0.460" hole spacing which matches the LaRue, Vltor, BCM, Rainier and Fobus for sure. You can always use it for the dimple under the gas port.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Sorry should have been more clear, was wondering about any adjustable gas block for the pin drilling jig, mostly interested in SLR  gas block fitting. If it fits those, ill buy those from now on for all builds.
Link Posted: 4/2/2014 12:29:53 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
View Quote

That answer right there would send me to you for parts. I tip my hat.
Link Posted: 4/6/2014 5:26:24 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Just saw this right now, I just emailed you. I sent an email to the ST service email but didnt get anything back. Thanks for getting back to me here, just looking to finish this build and this is holding it up. lol
Link Posted: 4/6/2014 9:18:17 PM EDT
[#23]
Another reason why Spikes is the best. Badazzar, I've seen u post on here for quite a while, even before I was a member, and this IMO is above and beyond the call ofduty. I would say u have a new lifelong customer but, "you had me at hello"... (Weep... Weep...). Love ur products, ROCK THE SPIDER!!!
Link Posted: 4/6/2014 10:19:37 PM EDT
[#24]
Put Rocksett on the setscrew threads and they wont come out. I recommend pinning for all underwater operations.
Link Posted: 4/24/2014 9:49:00 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Are you getting my emails? Ive sent 3 in February, 2 in March, one on April 6th and also April 20th. I need to get this done or I will have to go with a competitors product at this point, which is what looks like I should have done to begin with. 4 months is more than long enough to get a barrel cross pinned and flash hider blind pinned. Its a good thing I have 9 other AR's to keep me busy while this one Ive dumped over $3000 into so far just sits here collecting dust.

My email from April 6th and 20th (identical) reads as follows:

I don't have much time to frequent the forum and I just saw today that you had responded to the post again about a few weeks ago. I just want to know if this offer still stands and if so what do you need from me besides the barrel and the gas block being mailed to you. I also need my flash hider put on and drilled, blind pinned and welded since its a 14.5" barrel. Since the gas block will be pinned on and the flash hider blind pinned and welded, I would need to leave the barrel nut on obviously. Would it be better to ship the barrel already put onto the upper or just leave the barrel nut lose on the barrel? Also how much would it cost me total with the return shipping and getting the flash hider blind pinned and welded over? Also how long is turn around time for the cross drill and pinning of the LPGB, blind pinning and welding the flash hider? Thanks;

NAME - PHONE NUMBER
Link Posted: 4/26/2014 9:04:11 PM EDT
[#26]
Ive been waiting over 4 months now, I've called and emailed numerous times both the private email listed and the shop email along with PMing you on here with no returns whatsoever for 4 months now. The ONLY reason I bought the ST gas block was because you said you would do this for me, and now I've been waiting 4 months. I've decided to sell the Spikes Tactical gas block (I may smash it with a huge fucking hammer and post the pics just to prove a point here) and get a VLTOR gas block since there is a jig for sale for that model and do it myself. I sent you an email saying I would even pay for it along with some work on several other barrels including blind pinning some BE Meyers flash hiders just to get it done fast and give you more money instead of having a local guy do it if that's what you are looking for and still no reply.

I have thousands of dollars worth of ST parts on over 9 rifles, the majority of them use your lowers, barrels and bcg's, I own both models of your 37mm launchers and I wont be buying a single piece from ST ever again. You really pissed off a loyal customer and now look like a shitty company over 30 minutes worth of work that you backed out on. I honestly cant believe the lack of customer service from such a well respected company, definitely not what I expected. At this point I am seeing your offer on this topic as nothing more than a baby kissing routine by a politician, and I in no way feel comfortable sending you parts to work on given the work ethic Ive experienced thus far. The ONLY reason Ive given it this much time is because im active duty military about to retire after my 20 very soon and Ive been extremely busy lately.

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V1E2zX_37JU&feature=player_detailpage#t=58[/youtube]
Link Posted: 4/26/2014 9:54:11 PM EDT
[#27]
Get a YHM split clamp and forget pinning.... I've NEVER had a split clamp come loose.....and I build more uppers in a week than most build in a lifetime....I 'd just send you one of the ones I make but it is made specifically for an AR45 and is intended for a straight gas tube. We have standard low profile on the production schedule...just not sure when we'll get to them.
Link Posted: 4/27/2014 7:05:25 AM EDT
[#28]
Link Posted: 4/28/2014 10:57:54 AM EDT
[#29]
I think he quit Spikes
Link Posted: 4/28/2014 1:15:06 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
If you like, I can do it for you gratis.  Just include return shipping etc.  I can bounce it back out the same day I receive it.  Please email or call if you like.  No pressure.  
View Quote

Thanks for the offer however I have already ordered the VLTOR lpgb and the jig to do it myself.
Link Posted: 4/28/2014 1:29:35 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
I think he quit Spikes
View Quote

Really???
Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top