Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 12/10/2013 7:42:21 AM EDT
Palmetto has it for 299, any good? Thinking about buying it but don't know anything about it. Any advice... Thanks
Link Posted: 12/10/2013 7:47:41 AM EDT
[#1]
Wait for the PSA upper. Those are still new and no one has any good reviews on them.
Link Posted: 12/10/2013 7:55:23 AM EDT
[#2]
Sounds like the perfect time to get one.

And that's $300 with BCG (158 bolt) and CH.  So at the least, keep bcg and ch, sell the rest for $300 to someone who isn't a member here.  
Link Posted: 12/10/2013 8:17:43 AM EDT
[#3]
I ordered the 1/7 M4 Upper they had for $199 last week minus BCG, I'll post a review once it gets here, got a BCG & CH for $60 so it'll be a cheap upper to beat around.
Link Posted: 12/10/2013 9:19:17 AM EDT
[#4]
Thanks for the replies!
Link Posted: 12/10/2013 11:33:56 AM EDT
[#5]
Mine just showed up on the Big Brown Truck. I ordered the Black Friday Special upper minus BCG and CH for $190. First impression is that I got what I paid for. It looks like someone has saved me the trouble and thrown it down the driveway, already, after stripping old paint off with de-greaser (the upper is a little chalky). That being said, it looks just fine for the price point and I intend to use it as a plinker/truck gun gift to my dad, his first AR. It has very little wiggle in the handguards and everything looks GTG, as far as assembly is concerned. So far I am satisfied, neither pleasantly surprised nor disappointed. I haven't shot it yet, still at work, but will hopefully do so in the next couple days. Here are a few iPotato pictures:

]

Edit: To clarify which upper I ordered.

Edit 2: Shot it after work, was very accurate, with minimal adjustment,  with the A2 carry handle I threw on and with PSA BCG it cycled all 40 rounds of Tula with no problem. I will upgrade my level of satisfaction to, "Very"
Link Posted: 12/10/2013 4:20:52 PM EDT
[#6]
I didnt think these had m4 feedramps
Link Posted: 12/10/2013 4:24:49 PM EDT
[#7]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I didnt think these had m4 feedramps
View Quote

The description of the one I ordered last week says M4 feedramps.
Link Posted: 12/10/2013 6:08:43 PM EDT
[#8]
I hope that was supposed to be a blem, North.
Link Posted: 12/10/2013 6:16:32 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
View Quote

Yeah, visually I am not too thrilled (it wasn't a blem upper), but I am chalking it up to "you get what you pay for"... It functions well and shoots good groups so I will take it for the price point. The chalky appearance cleaned up a bit with a good Hoppes rub-down. I built an upper, last month, with a PSA blem upper and parts kit with a Del-Ton barrel and handguards off the EE for about $225. I would go that round again, over one of these uppers, but I had really low expectations and it actually shoots better than I expected, and that is what is important. We will probably paint it, anyway, so looks don't really matter. Hope my pictures and review help some people with their expectations!
Link Posted: 12/10/2013 6:39:28 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
View Quote

I hope so too. I have the same upper coming off the brown truck tomorrow.
Link Posted: 12/10/2013 6:45:28 PM EDT
[#11]
Keep us posted, I missed the uppers. I did get 10 of the Anderson lowers with the built in trigger guard. They were fine. I would have bought a few of these for future cheap builds but, I spent my extra money on the lowers.
Link Posted: 12/10/2013 7:22:35 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I've heard some say they had them show up much nicer and some say they had the same quality show up. If it helps, it really is a good-shooting rifle! Much better than I thought it would be.
Link Posted: 12/10/2013 7:23:48 PM EDT
[#13]
I know PSA has a rep for having almost pristine blems, maybe PTAC is their real blem line.
Link Posted: 12/10/2013 7:30:30 PM EDT
[#14]
Ok what happened to the industry forum?
Link Posted: 12/10/2013 7:33:22 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
View Quote

They forgot to pay the bill, I bet it will be back tomorrow.
Link Posted: 12/10/2013 9:07:19 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

I've heard some say they had them show up much nicer and some say they had the same quality show up. If it helps, it really is a good-shooting rifle! Much better than I thought it would be.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

As long as it shoots good, I'm okay with whatever finish it comes with. It's meant to be a beater gun anyways. But it does suck for guys who get a scratched-to-hell one, since that wasn't in the description.
Link Posted: 12/11/2013 3:25:26 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
View Quote

I noticed they vanished as well ?  Bad timing..
Link Posted: 12/11/2013 2:28:10 PM EDT
[#18]
Well, I just opened mine up. It's nowhere near as bad as North_42's. It has a few scratches and wear marks at the charging handle area and takedown/pivot pin tabs. I mounted it onto a PSA lower and the color doesn't match. But it does have that chalky residue North_42 mentioned. It might match up better after I get it all cleaned up. Makes no difference to me personally, but keep that in mind if you're concerned about appearances.

For the price, it looks good to me. If I paid someone to refinish this upper and this is how it turned out, I'd be complaining.
Link Posted: 12/11/2013 3:51:55 PM EDT
[#19]
Who put these uppers together? It looks like somebody who was in a hurry, I wish a person could just buy all the parts and put them together. I know it's a rifle but if somebody is gonna drag it down the driveway it's gonna be the buyer. I know the price was cheap but that is kinda bad on the finish, they should label these blems or put together by an ape with a sledge hammer and no punches. Glad to hear it shoots great.
Link Posted: 12/11/2013 4:22:17 PM EDT
[#20]
I have one of these on order.  Heck for the money, if it has some scratches but otherwise works its fine with me, I will just use some Alumahyde II to touch up, no biggie.
Link Posted: 12/11/2013 4:45:10 PM EDT
[#21]
I should have ordered one of those for $179 on BF week for a beater

o well

Link Posted: 12/11/2013 4:55:28 PM EDT
[#22]
Palmetto's Greenville store had a pallet of these on Black Friday.  One of the boxes was open and the upper and barrel looked just like the one in your photo.  I wasn't very impressed with the finish, especially fresh out of the box.
Link Posted: 12/16/2013 2:54:27 PM EDT
[#23]
I also have been reading that these PTac "BF" sale uppers are being received in very poor shape cosmetically speaking, but most say they shoot decently with cheap ammo.
Link Posted: 12/16/2013 4:30:17 PM EDT
[#24]
I got mine in.  Great shape and went together easy.  Shot really well also,  I was shooting Tulammo and Herters.
Link Posted: 12/16/2013 6:49:27 PM EDT
[#25]
I also ordered one of the BF 189.00 PTAC standard uppers.  My finish was identical to the photos above (chalky and blemished).  With some cleaning and oil it doesn't look bad.  I decided to see how cheap I could put a rifle together and this fit the bill along with their Christmas BCG/CH special for $89.00.  It is going on a lower that I have $200.00 in.  Its not a Cadillac but it will go bang and will be used and abused.
Link Posted: 12/16/2013 6:54:25 PM EDT
[#26]
Oh and its made in the USA.  YEA BUDDY
Link Posted: 12/18/2013 1:41:14 PM EDT
[#27]
I ordered 2 of these uppers from Black Friday and just got them in today. Mine are flawless with no marks on them and this coating of oil. Overall a nice upper for the money. I'm looking forward to shooting it!!
Link Posted: 12/19/2013 8:50:08 AM EDT
[#28]
I didn't order a complete upper, I just ordered the PTAC stripped upper, and it looks the same as the complete uppers all of you are talking about.  There is a scuff mark down one side, it sort of skips down the side leaving 10 little 1/4" marks running the length of the receiver just below the rail.  It's color is the same as what has been mentioned as well, more of a gray instead of black, and it does not match the PSA stripped lower I ordered with it.  I thought the strangest thing was the black T-marks instead of the normal white, their online ad does not mention the difference in T-marks.  Figured no big deal, no need to be able to see them anyway, but the scuff is bothersome.  PSA has yet to put one of my reviews for an item up on their website after I submit it, so I figured I would leave this review here.  For the price, I'm not upset, but I won't be a repeat customer of their PTAC line, as this upper belonged in their blemished line of products.  Hope it helps.
Link Posted: 12/19/2013 8:52:17 AM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
I didn't order a complete upper, I just ordered the PTAC stripped upper, and it looks the same as the complete uppers all of you are talking about.  There is a scuff mark down one side, it sort of skips down the side leaving 10 little 1/4" marks running the length of the receiver just below the rail.  It's color is the same as what has been mentioned as well, more of a gray instead of black, and it does not match the PSA stripped lower I ordered with it.  I thought the strangest thing was the black T-marks instead of the normal white, their online ad does not mention the difference in T-marks.  Figured no big deal, no need to be able to see them anyway, but the scuff is bothersome.  PSA has yet to put one of my reviews for an item up on their website after I submit it, so I figured I would leave this review here.  For the price, I'm not upset, but I won't be a repeat customer of their PTAC line, as this upper belonged in their blemished line of products.  Hope it helps.
View Quote

Can you show a picture, I'm curious to see. From what I've seen of PTAC I almost suspect they are just rebranded blemished PSA parts. Wow 12 years and you just used your 1st post.
Link Posted: 12/19/2013 8:55:41 AM EDT
[#30]
" />        

Link Posted: 12/19/2013 9:26:40 AM EDT
[#31]
That picture is very large, sorry about that, I don't know what I am doing, just tried to do my best to show it to you.
The picture does not show all 10 of the marks that I counted, but they are all there, the lighting didn't show everything.
The picture actually makes the scuff marks look worse than they are.  In real life the marks are still black, but the lighting hit them just right to pick them up in this picture and makes them look silver.  You have to move the upper side to side to see the marks when you are holding it.  That is why I called it 'bothersome', but it isn't a show stopper.

Link Posted: 12/19/2013 9:52:05 AM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
Mine just showed up on the Big Brown Truck. I ordered the Black Friday Special upper minus BCG and CH for $190. First impression is that I got what I paid for. It looks like someone has saved me the trouble and thrown it down the driveway, already, after stripping old paint off with de-greaser (the upper is a little chalky). That being said, it looks just fine for the price point and I intend to use it as a plinker/truck gun gift to my dad, his first AR. It has very little wiggle in the handguards and everything looks GTG, as far as assembly is concerned. So far I am satisfied, neither pleasantly surprised nor disappointed. I haven't shot it yet, still at work, but will hopefully do so in the next couple days. Here are a few iPotato pictures:
View Quote

I got mine yesterday.

Mine looks little better than that.  PTAC 1/7 $190.  I am very happy with it.
Link Posted: 12/20/2013 2:04:31 PM EDT
[#33]
UPS just dropped of PTAC M4 upper.

I was pleasantly surprised, it was perfect, no scratches of any kind and clean / new finish.  Slight chalky film on Upper.  I am thrilled.  Incredible upper, bcg for the price.
I can't remember when I got a complete upper this cheap before.  I wouldn't mind if it was scratched, as I would be painting over it anyway.  I think I spent more at PSA than anywhere else this Christmas.  I also got a GSG 1911 22 conversion kit and other parts.  
Link Posted: 12/20/2013 3:08:46 PM EDT
[#34]
I have 3 P-Tac uppers, all look great. haven't shoot them yet, a little too cold now, but I am glad yours shoot well. They keep putting out these uppers with great prices, made me wonder how come AK prices are still so high!
Link Posted: 12/20/2013 3:33:07 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:
I have 3 P-Tac uppers, all look great. haven't shoot them yet, a little too cold now, but I am glad yours shoot well. They keep putting out these uppers with great prices, made me wonder how come AK prices are still so high!
View Quote

TOO COLD TO SHOOT! Blasphemy. Get out there and shoot them and give us a review. Been holding off on the PTACs but it's getting hard to resist those prices.
Link Posted: 12/20/2013 7:25:01 PM EDT
[#36]
Got in some of the uppers I ordered.  Seems their "value" line PTAC stuff is also packaged cheaper, yet they still charge the same $15 for S/H.

Top is a Premium 20inch 1/7 MP CHF CL upper and bottom is their PTAC 556 1/9 M4 upper. (I went with 1/9 because they will only shoot 22lr and 55gr 5.56.)

Heavy duty box with egg crate foam vs. thin cardboard and paper.  Both shipped in an outer cardboard box.  Not complaining, just posting observations.

The Premium 20" upper is flawless and the PTAC has a few marks on it, probably from handling, not as a result of packaging.

I ordered 5 Premium uppers and 5 PTAC uppers, will see how the others look and report back.

Link Posted: 12/29/2013 10:22:47 AM EDT
[#37]
Has anyone else received a Ptac upper were the finish is super thin (Appears painted on) and missing in spots? The one I received the other day appeared well built but had dime sized patches of finish missing up and down the barrel.
Link Posted: 12/29/2013 12:49:44 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:
Has anyone else received a Ptac upper were the finish is super thin (Appears painted on) and missing in spots? The one I received the other day appeared well built but had dime sized patches of finish missing up and down the barrel.
View Quote

I had a few small marks on the barrel, but nothing like you described. I'm just glad to bore on mine was good, sucks that some people are noticing they got bad bores. My dad was very happy with the rifle I built for him for Xmas.

Link Posted: 12/29/2013 2:52:14 PM EDT
[#39]
So are they going to be offering more of those deals in the near future? I could use a bargain priced upper and they sound good to me so I'd buy one if they just run the deal again. Also, I've been checking the blem listing daily and never see any changes. Anyone know when they update that? I even signed up for their mailing list but have yet to receive any emails other than the initial one.
Link Posted: 12/29/2013 10:02:58 PM EDT
[#40]
oldrock PSA sends emails every day, at least they have lately.  I had an account with them but wasn't getting any emails, found the email sign up was different.
Link Posted: 12/30/2013 4:54:10 AM EDT
[#41]
These are back in stock, ordered one, see how it goes
Link Posted: 12/30/2013 2:42:42 PM EDT
[#42]
Ordered one myself this morning. Didn't take long to go oos...
Link Posted: 12/30/2013 4:24:35 PM EDT
[#43]
I don't give a damn how it looks that's why they make Krylon and or Cerekote but how it functions and reliability of it.  Keep us up on round counts and issues if any.....
Link Posted: 12/30/2013 5:32:24 PM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:
I don't give a damn how it looks that's why they make Krylon and or Cerekote but how it functions and reliability of it.  Keep us up on round counts and issues if any.....
View Quote

+1.  I would rather have some finish issues than the purple uppers and lowers manufacturers used to send out.  I did a lot of spray painting to get the upper and lower to match.
Link Posted: 12/31/2013 5:01:54 PM EDT
[#45]
Got mine--1/9 non chrome.  Pretty much perfect in and out.
Link Posted: 1/7/2014 1:35:20 PM EDT
[#46]
Link Posted: 1/7/2014 4:52:54 PM EDT
[#47]
I tried to order a couple over the weekend but I waited to long and they were out of stock. I really would like then w/o bcg and H but they only had them with those included for $289...until they ran out.
I did pick up a LPK w/ergo grip for $29.....<><....:)
Link Posted: 1/9/2014 6:50:49 AM EDT
[#48]
I'll give an update on mine, gave it for Christmas, my dad loved it. We shot about 150 rounds through it that afternoon and not a single problem, with Tula ammo. My brother hit a coke can at 40 yards, offhand with irons, 8 out of 20 shots and damn near made it jump the other 12, so I call that pretty good accuracy with commie ammo We just shot it off the back deck, into a hill, no range trip. It isn't the pretiest, and no idea if it would hold up to thousands of rounds or abuse, but for a casual plinker, I think it is a great value.
Link Posted: 2/4/2014 3:21:41 PM EDT
[#49]
I ordered a 1/7 ptac upper on the blackfriday sale. Pinned to PSA and New Frontier upper just fine. Seemed to like 55 grain ammo the best. The upper looked fine except the barrel finish was not as uniform as my PSA uppers.But for the price, could not complain. All of the other pieces looked fine. Wanted a rifle that I could us as a utility piece if needed. I did recently order the PTAC 1/9 melonite midwest ind. upper w/o BCG. I had plan to order PSA blemished upper and upper parts kit for a future build. After adding up the individual part that would be necessary , this upper seemed to be a good deal. If you deducted the price of the forearm from the price, you would have only a barreled upper for a little over $100.00-$125.00. If you add up the price on the rest of the parts, it really was a deal I did not think I could pass up. I can always rebarrel.This may or may not have been a good decision , time will tell. Saved 5% off the top with free shipping.

Link Posted: 2/4/2014 4:27:18 PM EDT
[#50]
Got my PTC upper in and pinned to a valued priced lower and put a cheaper scope on just to see how it would shoot. I pinned to an new frontier lower that I had in the safe and run several boxes of ammo through without a problem. I run a bore brush through several times during shooting 50yd target. I then moved out to 100 yard and shot. It shot better than I expected. Will post a photo of gun and best target group when I figure out how to post pictures.
Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top