BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Page / 16
Link Posted: 2/6/2014 11:03:50 AM EDT
[#1]
Sent an email to Leapers the other day about future Pro Slim rails:

Thank you for taking the time to write to us. Your rumors are correct. We will be introducing our 15” Super Slim Free Float Hand Guard around mid April. The first model will be in black. As far as FDE rails go, we are planning to introduce our rails in this color pattern in the near future and we have successful prototypes already. I cannot give you an ETA on the FDE color pattern, but note that it is going to happen.

Along with the introduction of our 15” Super Slim (item# MTU019SS) we will also be introducing two series of additional rail sections that can be purchased separately to further customize the rail to your liking. The two series consists of a high and low profile design, each with short, medium, and long lengths. Although, I cannot give out too many details there is a very practical design implemented into the high profile design that we are sure shooters will greatly enjoy. Currently, we just released our short low profile rail sections (the same ones that come in three with each rail package) as a part that can be purchased separately, item# MTURS01S.
View Quote

So from what I can gather:

• 15" rail is a go!
    FDE rails are a go!
    Two new series of rail sections. Looks like she was being a bit coy, but regular sections (like that come with the rail now) and a new "high profile" design that she couldn't divulge any details (keymod?)
    You can order additional rails (like the ones that come with handguard) now as a stand alone product

Link Posted: 2/6/2014 4:57:18 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
How are the top rails lining up with standard upper rials?
View Quote

mine lined up perfect on my ww15,
Link Posted: 2/6/2014 5:49:49 PM EDT
[#3]
where can you buy one of these rails.  I can't find any length on amazon and leapers is just a distributor?  It doesnt look like i can buy direct from them.
Link Posted: 2/6/2014 6:52:52 PM EDT
[#4]

received mine and installed today. I had to use all three spacers to get mine aligned correctly. I have a MI gen2 ss and the fit and finish on this is close but not quite as good as the MI. biggest gripe I have is the lack of a quick connect hole on the supplied rail pieces. will be taking to range this weekend.
I bought mine from primary arms. Really liked the installation the tool provided worked very easily I thought. And when I can get my hands on a 15" I will be replacing a hogue tube I have on my stag 6.8.
Link Posted: 2/9/2014 7:36:43 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

• 15" rail is a go!
    FDE rails are a go!
    Two new series of rail sections. Looks like she was being a bit coy, but regular sections (like that come with the rail now) and a new "high profile" design that she couldn't divulge any details (keymod?)
    You can order additional rails (like the ones that come with handguard) now as a stand alone product

http://i62.tinypic.com/2uelb3o.jpg
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Thank you for taking the time to write to us. Your rumors are correct. We will be introducing our 15” Super Slim Free Float Hand Guard around mid April. The first model will be in black. As far as FDE rails go, we are planning to introduce our rails in this color pattern in the near future and we have successful prototypes already. I cannot give you an ETA on the FDE color pattern, but note that it is going to happen.

Along with the introduction of our 15” Super Slim (item# MTU019SS) we will also be introducing two series of additional rail sections that can be purchased separately to further customize the rail to your liking. The two series consists of a high and low profile design, each with short, medium, and long lengths. Although, I cannot give out too many details there is a very practical design implemented into the high profile design that we are sure shooters will greatly enjoy. Currently, we just released our short low profile rail sections (the same ones that come in three with each rail package) as a part that can be purchased separately, item# MTURS01S.

• 15" rail is a go!
    FDE rails are a go!

http://i62.tinypic.com/2uelb3o.jpg

I saw the new rail sections at SHOT. They were NOT keymod.  The "thing" with the high profile section is that, unlike the low profile, they extend far enough that if you put two (or three or whatever) together, they become one continuous rail section. The low profile sections have a definite start and stop, even if they're on adjacent sections.
Link Posted: 2/9/2014 9:28:47 PM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:

where can you buy one of these rails.  I can't find any length on amazon and leapers is just a distributor?  It doesnt look like i can buy direct from them.
View Quote

PA has them.

https://www.primaryarms.com/UTG-Pro-4-15-Super-Slim-Free-Float-Rail-Rifle-Le-p/mtu006ss.htm

Link Posted: 2/10/2014 5:01:20 PM EDT
[#7]
Can you install these over permanently attached muzzle devices?
Link Posted: 2/10/2014 5:06:51 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
Can you install these over permanently attached muzzle devices?
View Quote

as long as you can get the factory barrel nut off, you can install the utg one.
Link Posted: 2/12/2014 2:30:01 PM EDT
[#9]
we have two that also sell guns they have them in stock almost all the time
Link Posted: 2/14/2014 11:14:20 AM EDT
[#10]
dissregard i was mistaken i wast thinking the ati pro thats what they have at big r
Link Posted: 2/16/2014 11:54:59 PM EDT
[#11]

Latest look to my dedicated AR22. This rifle is built up exactly like my AR15.

Anderson lower
CMMG lower parts kit
CMMG dedicated 22 upper
CMMG SS Echo bolt
Bushnell TRS-25
UTG Pro Slim 13" free float handguard
Magpul BUIS, MOE grip, MSA and AFG
MFT minimalist stock
Elzetta ZRX flashlight mount
Streamlight Polytac light
YHN Phantom Flashhider
Redi Mag Adaper to accept M&P15-22 magazines
Link Posted: 2/17/2014 10:28:03 PM EDT
[#12]
Making my first build and would like to get the super slim in 13" and fde. The shot show pic seen earlier in this thread has one but any news when they will be available?
Link Posted: 2/18/2014 10:26:56 AM EDT
[#13]
I was told April for FDE versions as well as the new 15" versions.
Link Posted: 2/21/2014 2:36:15 PM EDT
[#14]
I've been very pleased with my 13". I got it for about $93 shipped off optics planet after a 10% coupon. By far the hardest part of the installation was pulling the roll pins that hold the FSB on. putting them back on was a bit of an ordeal as well. I did the whole thing without the upper vise block, but I don't be doing it again. what a pain. Also, chopping the FSB, while doable, is not something I will repeat. I'll sell the existing FSB and buy a lo-pro. But the UTG part was a snap. close up installed pics here
Link Posted: 2/24/2014 11:15:08 PM EDT
[#15]
I wish they made one in 11 inch for my pistol build. You guys with a 13 inch think it will be okay with a 10.5 inch barrel+KAK flash can?
Link Posted: 2/25/2014 7:49:10 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
I wish they made one in 11 inch for my pistol build. You guys with a 13 inch think it will be okay with a 10.5 inch barrel+KAK flash can?
View Quote

if you don't count the part that overlaps the receiver it's actually 12.5" long.
Link Posted: 2/25/2014 1:33:51 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
View Quote

I'll let you know in a few days. I will tell you that the normal KAK flash can does not fit. The handguard will slide over but it touches the KAK flash can in a couple spots eliminating the use of the "free float" -ness of the UTG Pro handguard. When I did try to intall the 13" (12.5" actual) UTG Pro over the normal sized flash can, the flash can stuck out the front of the handuard between an 1/8 to 1/4" inch. Perfect mean look!

I ordered and received the "slim" KAK flash can and my new 13" UTG PRO slim rail should be here in a couple of days. I have no problem knowing that this setup will fit on my 10.5" pistol. The "Slim" flash can is much smaller in diameter than the normal flash can.
Link Posted: 2/25/2014 2:18:00 PM EDT
[#18]
Just received this from UTG,

First of all, thank you very much for your interesting in our products. Regarding your question about our super slim in flat dark earth I’m glad to let your know that the earliest estimate launch date will in May. In the meanwhile I would like you to visit our website for any new product announcement.

Thank you again for your interesting in Leapers product. Have a nice day!

Just about the time I should be finishing my first build.

Praying I will be able to provide a range report by Memorial Day

Link Posted: 2/25/2014 9:07:37 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

I'll let you know in a few days. I will tell you that the normal KAK flash can does not fit. The handguard will slide over but it touches the KAK flash can in a couple spots eliminating the use of the "free float" -ness of the UTG Pro handguard. When I did try to intall the 13" (12.5" actual) UTG Pro over the normal sized flash can, the flash can stuck out the front of the handuard between an 1/8 to 1/4" inch. Perfect mean look!

I ordered and received the "slim" KAK flash can and my new 13" UTG PRO slim rail should be here in a couple of days. I have no problem knowing that this setup will fit on my 10.5" pistol. The "Slim" flash can is much smaller in diameter than the normal flash can.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Was the rail not concentric to the bore? I saw that problem on install video. I was under the impression that the flash can would fit. Mind posting up a picture when it's all done? Thanks!
Link Posted: 2/25/2014 9:51:27 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

Was the rail not concentric to the bore? I saw that problem on install video. I was under the impression that the flash can would fit. Mind posting up a picture when it's all done? Thanks!
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

the normal sized flash can fits but just barely. Tight enough that I couldn't get a dollar bill to go all the way around.
Link Posted: 2/25/2014 10:33:24 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

the normal sized flash can fits but just barely. Tight enough that I couldn't get a dollar bill to go all the way around.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Awesome, I'm really glad to have read this. Did you return your first rail?
Are you going to run the Sig brace as well?
Link Posted: 3/1/2014 10:46:46 PM EDT
[#22]
Put the slim flash can and 13" UTG rail on my rifle tonight. Gotta say, not a fan of the look. It is a 10.5" pistol. In the long rail and flash can configuration the rifle begins to look like a full sized carbine at 13" and some change in length.

I will report that the slim can fits awesome inside the rail. slim is the way to go if you want that look.

Link Posted: 3/3/2014 2:51:10 AM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
Put the slim flash can and 13" UTG rail on my rifle tonight. Gotta say, not a fan of the look. It is a 10.5" pistol. In the long rail and flash can configuration the rifle begins to look like a full sized carbine at 13" and some change in length.

I will report that the slim can fits awesome inside the rail. slim is the way to go if you want that look.

http://i62.tinypic.com/35n0e3q.jpg

http://i59.tinypic.com/27xh1yb.jpg
View Quote

I was thinking the same thing after looking at other 10.5 inch pistols with the KX3.. Any way I can have a picture of the whole rifle?
Link Posted: 3/3/2014 10:34:22 AM EDT
[#24]
I already put it back to the other configuration. Sorry.

Quoted:

I was thinking the same thing after looking at other 10.5 inch pistols with the KX3.. Any way I can have a picture of the whole rifle?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

http://i62.tinypic.com/35n0e3q.jpg

http://i59.tinypic.com/27xh1yb.jpg

Link Posted: 3/7/2014 8:47:44 PM EDT
[#25]
Love the one I put on the 300blk build for the wife. Liked it so much I decided to pull the quad off my carbine and refinish it and run a slim rail. Since I was refinishing the rifle in FDE, I decided instead of a UTG that is coated I sprung for a MI keymod.

I will do a good comparison between the 2 when the MI gets here. May run one of the UTG rails on my 20" bull barrel when it comes in,
Link Posted: 3/8/2014 12:07:51 AM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
http://i60.tinypic.com/vnh1f8.jpg

Latest look to my dedicated AR22. This rifle is built up exactly like my AR15.

Anderson lower
CMMG lower parts kit
CMMG dedicated 22 upper
CMMG SS Echo bolt
Bushnell TRS-25
UTG Pro Slim 13" free float handguard
Magpul BUIS, MOE grip, MSA and AFG
MFT minimalist stock
Elzetta ZRX flashlight mount
Streamlight Polytac light
YHN Phantom Flashhider
Redi Mag Adaper to accept M&P15-22 magazines
View Quote

Did you mount that AFG using just the 3 detachable 2-slot rails that are included? I'm looking to add a Magpul XTM Hand Stop to mine and I'm wondering if it'll be necessary to purchase a longer, continous rail section from UTG or if the supplied rails will suffice.
Link Posted: 3/8/2014 9:21:22 AM EDT
[#27]
Did you mount that AFG using just the 3 detachable 2-slot rails that are included? I'm looking to add a Magpul XTM Hand Stop to mine and I'm wondering if it'll be necessary to purchase a longer, continous rail section from UTG or if the supplied rails will suffice.
View Quote

Magpul XTM won't work with the  2-slot rail pieces included with the handguard. They are to short and when put end to end they form a weird angle and not another squared rail slot. I have an XTM and tried it already. No joy!

This is what you need: Long UTG Pro Slim rail

Primary Arms has the 5, 10 and 15 slot rails in stock! HERE

Saw them on ebay as well after a quick search
Link Posted: 3/17/2014 8:26:55 PM EDT
[#28]
A question was posted way back about the UTG 13" slim line fitting on a DPMS Lo-Pro receiver. Somebody answered that the side tabs had to be Dremeled -- is this correct? I ordered the 13" UTG to go on my rimfire upper and I'm using a DPMS Lo-Pro and I don't really want to screw with doing a dremel job.

Edit to add:
I e-mailed the company and they said the rail was designed to go on a standard AR receiver and not the heavier ones so my DPMS Lo-Pro is out. I made a swap with a really nice T marked flat top receiver I had on another rifle so all should be good.
Link Posted: 3/23/2014 9:59:25 PM EDT
[#29]
Well, I have always been a hater of UTG but I built a rifle for a friend and that's what he had. The build came out badass and it's nicer than the Yankee Hill models which are really the only ones available for that price point. I just ordered two 13" rails for my next two builds. I just wanted to share cause it's a great value.

Link Posted: 3/23/2014 10:49:20 PM EDT
[#30]
Kstar is that OD green or Foliage Green?  Did you spray everything but the grip and stock? Looks good!
Link Posted: 3/23/2014 11:04:16 PM EDT
[#31]
Got the newly released bolt-on 5, 10 and 15 slot rails for my UTG Pro handguards. Like the length and additional slots but they are not as low profile as the three 2-slot rails that come with the handguard. Flush fit by they are just thicker at the base and stick out further.

IM me if you are interested in a 10 or 15 slot rail!
Link Posted: 3/23/2014 11:46:28 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
Kstar is that OD green or Foliage Green?  Did you spray everything but the grip and stock? Looks good!
View Quote

Cerakoted the upper, lower, and rail Mag pul OD Green. Then just bought the stock and grip. Thx!
Link Posted: 3/26/2014 11:45:57 AM EDT
[#33]
Hi All .,

I just purchased the 13" version. Do any of you have any experience with the YHM Spectre low profile 2 piece gas block, and know if it will work with the model hand guard? After checking circumference measurement specs on both items it appears that it will accommodate but, with be very very close. Any opinions wit experience would be appreciated.

Create.
Link Posted: 3/28/2014 1:04:49 AM EDT
[#34]
for those who have wondered The rail isn't a direct fit to seekins billet upper. seekin's says it is compatible with most ff rails but not all of them. So I knew I was taking a chance when I ordered it. The sides that overlap onto the receiver is the only issue. because of the shape of the receiver, the tabs are about 1/8" too long. I took it to my table top belt sander.took all of a minute to sand it till it slid on all the way. touched up the end and it was good to go. Just thought I'd share. definitely not that big a deal but I wanted to give anyone who might try to mate the two a heads up..to look at it you can't tell I did anything to it.
Link Posted: 4/3/2014 5:23:29 PM EDT
[#35]
FDE rail system will be availble late May Starting with the 15" Super Slim. MTU019SSD. 15" black will be avaialble as well MTU019SS, So will Key Mod MTU019SSK

Here are some picture images that I received from their customer service as a teaser.

https://scontent-a-ord.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-prn2/t1.0-9/1903016_10101488060776374_374076832_n.jpg
https://fbcdn-sphotos-a-a.akamaihd.net/hphotos-ak-ash3/t1.0-9/1239529_10101488060826274_1753788585_n.jpg
Link Posted: 4/3/2014 5:33:39 PM EDT
[#36]
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KDKYTztGphw
UTG PRO official installation video.
Link Posted: 4/3/2014 8:38:15 PM EDT
[#37]
I am very pleased with mine.  While I didn't install it, the person who installed it for me, looked at it and might actually buy one for himself.  I only went with the 7" one though, in a while I might upgrade to the 9"
Link Posted: 4/3/2014 8:50:25 PM EDT
[#38]
I had the older style full quad rail mid length from UTG, it looked good and was easy to install, but never would hold zero for long.  I actually just replaced it with a MI Gen 2 SS, we will see how this one holds up.
Link Posted: 4/4/2014 2:58:17 AM EDT
[#39]

Quoted:

I have two 13" UTG Pro slim handguards. One has very "sharp" machining while the other has chamfered edges. Obviously the chamfered is more comfortable in the un-gloved hand. I contacted UTG about this and the rep who responded indicated that the chamfered design is the newer of the two and what we should be seeing on future production.
View Quote
I also have a sharp edged 13" Pro Slim. Im thinking about buffing the edges with a dremel.  Does anyone have any suggestions for buffing compound and touch up?

Link Posted: 4/10/2014 2:29:15 PM EDT
[#40]
Just want to let everyone know that Leapers/UTG will be shipping out the black 15" Super Slim tomorrow to distributors. The customer service representative sent me their email campaign that is sent to their dealers, and here is how it looks.

https://scontent-b-ord.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-prn2/t1.0-9/1901714_10101498451687904_7590916355132896582_n.jpg
https://scontent-b-ord.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-prn1/t1.0-9/1908269_10101498454751764_5523214677889421537_n.jpg
Link Posted: 4/10/2014 2:45:30 PM EDT
[#41]
Too bad a few graphic reviews didn't catch 'finnish'.
Link Posted: 4/10/2014 4:40:39 PM EDT
[#42]
Keymod looks like it be available in summer time they said.
Link Posted: 4/20/2014 11:49:50 AM EDT
[#43]
Link Posted: 4/20/2014 1:55:22 PM EDT
[#44]
I just received my 15" rail friday. mounted on 16" carbine. the 15" rail actually finishes out 15"

Link Posted: 4/20/2014 3:08:47 PM EDT
[#45]
Who did you order from ?
Link Posted: 4/20/2014 3:27:22 PM EDT
[#46]
doaarms from their EE ad. cost $129 shipped best price I have found. ordered it late tuesday night had it delivered friday.

utg pro 15"
Link Posted: 4/29/2014 5:50:56 PM EDT
[#47]
Here is the UTG Pro Key mod that was shown at the NRA show 2014 in Indy. The rail probably has the best ergonomic than any other key mod rails I have seen in the market. I have a BCM KMR, and the UTG Pro rail feels, ergonomics to me definitely beat out the KMR. The sales representative there mention the MSRP is estimated to be around $189.97 which is unheard of compare to any other company. KMR itself cost $280+ for a 13" including shipping. Their 15" will cost over $300.

It will debut by end of May or early June. Cerakote products will be delayed till mid June

Everyone can hate about UTG of their past, but this company is definitely changing and bringing back more and more production back in the USA. Specially Scopes, Dot Sights by the end of 2014, Flashlights and Laser by next year. I'm glad I stopped by their booth to check out their latest products.

Link Posted: 4/29/2014 6:05:12 PM EDT
[#48]
very nice. did you notice if it had the same mounting system? It looks like that rail has more mounting holes than the standard rail does.
Link Posted: 4/29/2014 6:14:18 PM EDT
[#49]
They use the same barrel nut as the super slims. They said that the additional screw holes was not suppose to be there. It is the prototype so they will correct that. There will only be 6 screw holes likes the super slims.
Link Posted: 4/29/2014 6:35:02 PM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:
They use the same barrel nut as the super slims. They said that the additional screw holes was not suppose to be there. It is the prototype so they will correct that. There will only be 6 screw holes likes the super slims.
View Quote

thanks!
Page / 16
Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top