AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Page / 16
Link Posted: 12/28/2013 4:14:56 PM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 12/28/2013 4:29:12 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
ScottS, is that a 13" rail over a 14.7" barrel?
View Quote

Good eye.  Exactly right.
Link Posted: 12/28/2013 6:36:33 PM EDT
[#3]
I believe that UTG, and the word PRO, are a contradiction in terms!
Link Posted: 12/28/2013 8:26:24 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
View Quote

So please tell us your first hand experience with the handguard in question ? The only thing wrong with the
UTG Pro Super Slim handguard line is the lack of a 15"
Link Posted: 12/28/2013 9:46:19 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
I have one of the pro series quad rails in 13" length and it is very high quality.  It's on my dedicated 22 right now but i wouldn't hesitate to put it on my bigger rifles if i had to.
View Quote

ditto to this.
Link Posted: 12/28/2013 9:53:15 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

Said the man who has used the rail in question and had it fail?
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Anything UTG or NCStar is crap.

Says the man who has used numerous items from both companies and had them fail.

Notice most of the posters here extolling the virtues have low post counts?  That says something.

Now if they have a new PRO line that actually is made in the US, has quality controls, and is halfway decent, then good for them.  But they should ditch the UTG name, as its an anchor that will turn off most serious, or educated, users.
Link Posted: 12/28/2013 10:09:10 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

Notice most of the posters here extolling the virtues have low post counts?  That says something.

Now if they have a new PRO line that actually is made in the US, has quality controls, and is halfway decent, then good for them.  But they should ditch the UTG name, as its an anchor that will turn off most serious, or educated, users.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Right. I guess being a Team Member since 2002 makes me a fucking newb.

Unless you have direct experience with the rail in question, maybe there's a thread in GD that could use your Tier 1 insights.
Link Posted: 12/28/2013 10:12:16 PM EDT
[#8]
+1 for ScottS

Quoted:

Unless you have direct experience with the rail in question, maybe there's a thread in GD that could use your Tier 1 insights.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Link Posted: 12/28/2013 10:40:53 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Well put , I'll say it again I think my UTG Super Slims are better designed then my MI Gen2 SS-Series
Link Posted: 12/28/2013 10:43:41 PM EDT
[#10]
Mounted the UTG Pro 9" rail on my custom basic budget build.  Works fine.  Ringing 9" steel gong off hand standing with MBUS sights and handloads at 100 yards with no problem.

Works fine, good design and rock solid.  I am proud to descend to UTG cuz it works.  Made in USA for sure.    Great value for the price.  
Money well spent.  I am now out of the AR snob club for sure.  It's a redneck AR that works.    Boss Hog is envious.  The Duke boys invited me to go shooting with them even though I have a low post count cuz they liked my setup.  
I took the money I saved on this rail in lieu of a Tier 1 job and bought primers and powder.  Just hope my cheap non-chromed barrel holds up.  Oh wait, my Marlin 336 from old times has no chrome lining and seems to shoot fine.  
Glad it is a free country on how to spend money except for the part where the NSA looks at each transaction,  but we can overlook that.  
Link Posted: 12/29/2013 12:53:27 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
... Notice most of the posters here extolling the virtues have low post counts?  That says something. ...
View All Quotes
Quoted:
... Notice most of the posters here extolling the virtues have low post counts?  That says something. ...

That not everyone feels the need to have their lips flap incessantly?

Quoted:
... Now if they have a new PRO line that actually is made in the US, has quality controls, and is halfway decent, then good for them. ...

For at least a year they have had a new Pro line made in the US, and every first hand report I have heard and read says the products have good quality and are more than half way decent. But then I rarely feel the urge to flap my lips.
Link Posted: 12/29/2013 11:38:02 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
View Quote

You don'tknow what you are talking about.  Prooved it well.

I have the Pro UTG on a carbine.  It's of very good to ex. quality and desighn.

Link Posted: 12/29/2013 4:09:49 PM EDT
[#13]
Anyone know if they offer the 2rail pieces if you need more than the 3 that come with it?
Link Posted: 12/29/2013 6:14:11 PM EDT
[#14]
I completed a recent pistol "budget" build and needed a free float handguard. Found the UTG Pro slim handguard and decided to give it a shot. Liked it so much I decided to use one on all my rifles. They are really nice and until you actually get to hold one and mount it on your rifle you really can't judge the quality of the Pro line. I'm not going to be knocking down doors in Iraq, so the likes of UTG, Primary Arms, KAK Industry and Palmetto State Armory are A-OK with me. I'll leave the DD's and Noveske's to the operators that really need them!

The 13" UTG Pro Slim in my dedicated 22lr rifle.

Link Posted: 12/29/2013 9:21:35 PM EDT
[#15]
I'll be at the SHOT Show in two weeks, and I'm going to stroll up to the Leapers booth and tell them, "We need a 15" Super Slim rail."
Link Posted: 12/29/2013 9:39:22 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

So please tell us your first hand experience with the handguard in question ? The only thing wrong with the
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Sorry bud I use APEX hand guards. Damn they have a 15 too.
In my many years in the AR world one knows what companies and products have a good rep., and which ones don't.
UTG isn't in the beat category.
Kind of like what Hessie is to the AK world.
Link Posted: 12/29/2013 9:44:08 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
I'll be at the SHOT Show in two weeks, and I'm going to stroll up to the Leapers booth and tell them, "We need a 15" Super Slim rail."
View Quote

Please do, I can't believe they don't have one yet
Link Posted: 12/29/2013 10:08:36 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

In my many years in the AR world one knows what companies and products have a good rep., and which ones don't.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

UTG is made in China. UTG Pro is made in the USA, specifically in Michigan.  Please keep up.  
Link Posted: 12/29/2013 10:56:39 PM EDT
[#19]
Anyone install one of these rails on thicker receivers like a side charge billet or a dpms lo pro.

Will it fit.

Do they stand by their product if any problems arise.
Link Posted: 12/29/2013 11:49:52 PM EDT
[#20]
I have to say, I am actually impressed with how UTG has improved in their workmanship with their Pro line.

I bought their Carbine length Slim Rails for a Beater build, I was kind of stupefied, It was actually good enough IMO for an M4gery build. (If they were Quad Rails).

The only defects I found were slight inconsistencies with the upper lip of the contact surface, not straight.
Link Posted: 12/30/2013 12:47:48 AM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
View Quote

Tell them to make the whole line in Keymod.
Link Posted: 12/30/2013 9:07:40 PM EDT
[#22]
Emailed them about the additional 2rail sections, here is the response.

Thank you for contacting Leapers regarding your interest in purchasing additional rail sections for your MTU004SS rail. In the past few months we have received many requests to purchase additional rail sections. Our design and marketing groups have listened to our customers and they have started the process to make available these additional rail sections. I have been informed that the timetable for getting the new offering out to the dealers should happen sometime in next month or so. Please watch for the introduction of the product on our website at www.leapers.com and click on the new products tab. When the product is listed in this section it will be available to our dealers and distributors.
Link Posted: 12/30/2013 9:43:03 PM EDT
[#23]
I don't have any experience with UTG pro but if they are as good as people are saying I think they should drop the UTG name all together for the pro line. When I hear UTG I automatically think "cheap air soft junk". The rails in question look pretty nice, and I would rather buy UTG than support the company who's rails look quite similar to these.
Link Posted: 12/30/2013 10:55:22 PM EDT
[#24]
One of our AR15.com members had a posted/pictured in the past (probably in archives now) his company was a vendor for a machine shop in Ohio, and where doing the machine work UTG rails (they were outsourcing to them).
Link Posted: 12/31/2013 5:31:57 PM EDT
[#25]
Sent them an email in regards to the 15" UTG Pro Slim handguard as well. Here is the reply:

15” rails are still under development and will be available in around 5 to 6 months. Thanks.
Link Posted: 12/31/2013 7:43:04 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
Anyone install one of these rails on thicker receivers like a side charge billet or a dpms lo pro.

Will it fit.

Do they stand by their product if any problems arise.
View Quote

I think I saw a youtube video of a guy installing one on a billet upper. He had to dremel off the 1/2" portion of the rail that extends back over the receiver. or maybe it was a left handed gun. either way, there is a way to skin the cat.
Link Posted: 1/1/2014 3:35:09 PM EDT
[#27]
I recently installed a 13" UTG Pro Slim on my 16" carbine. Very easy to install, nice slim profile, and it feels very solid. I'm just Tier 7 but FWIW I say it's GTG!

Crappy iPhone pic:

Link Posted: 1/1/2014 3:42:48 PM EDT
[#28]
Pic needs more toes.
Link Posted: 1/1/2014 6:51:52 PM EDT
[#29]
Mine feels pretty solid, but does anyone get any flex if you push the muzzle end of the tube inward towards the barrel?  Is that common for most free float tubes?  I have checked and rechecked the barrel nut, and even torqued it to around 50 ft lbs just to be sure it was solid, but I still get a tiny bit of flex up front on the tube itself.   It's very slight.

This is a 13 inch tube on a 16 inch barrel with a low profile gas block.

Just curious.
Link Posted: 1/1/2014 7:07:57 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
Mine feels pretty solid, but does anyone get any flex if you push the muzzle end of the tube inward towards the barrel?  Is that common for most free float tubes?  I have checked and rechecked the barrel nut, and even torqued it to around 50 ft lbs just to be sure it was solid, but I still get a tiny bit of flex up front on the tube itself.   It's very slight.

Just curious.
View Quote

I don't have a PRO but my Fortis REV is rock solid and doesn't move at all. Free floated rails aren't supposed to move around, they should lock up tight.
Link Posted: 1/1/2014 7:15:06 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:

Just curious.
View Quote

No.
Link Posted: 1/1/2014 10:21:27 PM EDT
[#32]
Did you use the spacers on your install?

Quoted:

No.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Just curious.

No.

Link Posted: 1/1/2014 11:48:35 PM EDT
[#33]
No I did not use the spacers since all of the holes in the locking ring aligned with the rail every time.  The rail is pretty solid, but with some pressure it seems to flex at the very end like I said.  I'll have to examine it a bit more and see if I did something wrong.
Link Posted: 1/2/2014 4:03:17 PM EDT
[#34]
I installed a 9" SS pro on a 22lr AR a couple weeks ago.  My only problem is I should have bought a longer one as the front sight is too close to and I'm having a hard time focusing on it.  My fault totally as I knew my eye sight is bad.  Very easy install and seems to good quality.  Price is killer for what you get.  I've used MI, DD and YHM FF tubes in the past and this unit has to be the easiest install of the all.  I'll be buying two or three more as soon as someone runs another sale on them.
Link Posted: 1/2/2014 4:18:17 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:

Just curious.
View Quote

Yes.  I had the same issue.  I sent this video to UTG and received a call:  
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DzQY1sKUQVU
[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DzQY1sKUQVU[/youtube]

They basically told me it's the nature of the "free float" that allows the barrel to move independent of the hand guard a little.  The very slight misalignment was also stated as being acceptable, since I can adjust the rear sights to accommodate.

In my case, I'll be switching out my gas block with a railed gas block, so then the alignment, and the adherence of the front sight to the barrel won't become dependent on the hand guard anyway.

The side-to-side sway seems to be normal considering the thickness of the material.  The UTG quad rail seems to be a lot more "sturdy" in terms of minimizing sway since it has a lot more material (and weight).

For my purposes, it's good enough since I won't be relying on it for my front sights.

Google: Free Float Hand Guard Flex   (it seems to be pretty standard)  http://www.m4carbine.net/showthread.php?73401-Free-float-rail-flex

Also, check out this video from Daniel Defense.  You'll see the barrel "flex"  http://youtu.be/5hKaPkvOtEo?t=1m39s

Here's another video that more shows the vibrations of the barrel: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0Xr_RG_lcNk
Link Posted: 1/2/2014 5:20:23 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:

They basically told me it's the nature of the "free float" that allows the barrel to move independent of the hand guard a little.  The very slight misalignment was also stated as being acceptable, since I can adjust the rear sights to accommodate.

In my case, I'll be switching out my gas block with a railed gas block, so then the alignment, and the adherence of the front sight to the barrel won't become dependent on the hand guard anyway.

The side-to-side sway seems to be normal considering the thickness of the material.  The UTG quad rail seems to be a lot more "sturdy" in terms of minimizing sway since it has a lot more material (and weight).

For my purposes, it's good enough since I won't be relying on it for my front sights.

Google: Free Float Hand Guard Flex   (it seems to be pretty standard)  http://www.m4carbine.net/showthread.php?73401-Free-float-rail-flex

Also, check out this video from Daniel Defense.  You'll see the barrel "flex"  http://youtu.be/5hKaPkvOtEo?t=1m39s

Here's another video that more shows the vibrations of the barrel: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0Xr_RG_lcNk
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Just curious.

Thank you very much for the information, and video.  Your video shows exactly what I am talking about.  This is the exact same thing mine does with some pressure on it.
Link Posted: 1/2/2014 6:09:58 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:

Thank you very much for the information, and video.  Your video shows exactly what I am talking about.  This is the exact same thing mine does with some pressure on it.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Just curious.

I will double check when I get home but mine doesn't do that.  Although, I
think I torqued the hell out of the barrel nut.  The rail is solid- rigid and firm.
I have enough clearance for barrel flex even though its looks close in such a narrow
rail.  I heard no audible pinging noise nor felt excessive vibrations the few times I shot it;
so I assume its not hitting the rail.  Have you tried uninstalling and reinstalling
the barrel?
Link Posted: 1/2/2014 7:20:07 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:

think I torqued the hell out of the barrel nut.  The rail is solid- rigid and firm.
I have enough clearance for barrel flex even though its looks close in such a narrow
rail.  I heard no audible pinging noise nor felt excessive vibrations the few times I shot it;
so I assume its not hitting the rail.  Have you tried uninstalling and reinstalling
the barrel?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Just curious.

the barrel?

My VTAC Alpha 13" rail will do that as well and its properly installed. It's thin aluminum and with a basically a 13" fulcrum, they will flex if pushed hard enough
Link Posted: 1/2/2014 7:57:58 PM EDT
[#39]
That's what I was thinking is the material is thin, and just has a little bit of give hanging out there so far.  I wanted to see if anyone else was experiencing the same.
Link Posted: 1/2/2014 9:44:28 PM EDT
[#40]
View Quote

Not to derail, but what BUIS are those on the rifle in the video? They look like the Troy sights but without the Troy white lettering.

Link Posted: 1/3/2014 4:29:55 PM EDT
[#41]
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9H87cDSkLNw

Palmetto State Armory Aluminum flip Up Sight Set

I'm switching them out for the  GDT AR15 AR 15 Front and Rear 45 Degree Rapid Transition BUIS Backup Iron Sight

$22.88 @ Amazon.com

Quoted:

Not to derail, but what BUIS are those on the rifle in the video? They look like the Troy sights but without the Troy white lettering.

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Link Posted: 1/3/2014 8:05:25 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:

I'm switching them out for the  GDT AR15 AR 15 Front and Rear 45 Degree Rapid Transition BUIS Backup Iron Sight

$22.88 @ Amazon.com

View All Quotes
Quoted:

$22.88 @ Amazon.com

Quoted:

I have those 45 degree sights. Buyer beware. Mine do not clamp down tight on the rail and they are not made to spec. YMMV but you can always return them no questions asked if you use Amazon. Did you PSA BUIS mount tight to the rail? I have heard some negaative things about them as well.
Link Posted: 1/3/2014 8:23:39 PM EDT
[#43]
Mine is a 9" version that moves a little bit, but not much.  I had to use a spacer to get everything lined up right and put good torque on it.  

Sights worked perfect.  Here are the results:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TGv2ca4oE_s&feature=c4-overview&list=UUoeluo13Vhxw-SuD-SDZDeg

Shooting .223 hand loads at 9" steel plate, 200yds, MBUS open sights.
Home built basic AR platform with PSA bolt group and AR Stoner 16" 1:9 5.56 barrel.  
The steel plate is 9" diameter on a tripod.  The front site post almost covers the entire plate at 200 yds.  Was able to hit 8/10 from the bench and about 5/10 kneeling.   Need more practice kneeling.  Was able to hit a couple standing offhand.  The MBUS sights and the target begin to blur with eye fatigue.  Flight time is about .25 seconds with 25gr of W748 pushing a 55gr projectile about 2700FPS.  Fun to ring the gong at 200yds.  Note the good fist pump of excitement at the end.

Quoted:

I have those 45 degree sights. Buyer beware. Mine do not clamp down tight on the rail and they are not made to spec. YMMV but you can always return them no questions asked if you use Amazon. Did you PSA BUIS mount tight to the rail? I have heard some negaative things about them as well.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

$22.88 @ Amazon.com

Quoted:

Link Posted: 1/3/2014 11:39:28 PM EDT
[#44]

That is a nice looking gun.  I think i'm going to throw some magpul sights on mine as well until I figure out what scope I want to use.  I've built a few, but this was my first attempt at a free float.  Glad to hear some flex is normal.  After torquing the barrel nut a little tighter, and trying to ensure I was torquing the rail screws as evenly as possible, mine has very little movement up front now.
Link Posted: 1/4/2014 4:35:09 PM EDT
[#45]
Yes, I would characterize mine as little movement.  I really have to push it around hard to make it move.  
For the poster who had lots of movement, try reinstalling it and torquing everything down well.  
Quoted:

That is a nice looking gun.  I think i'm going to throw some magpul sights on mine as well until I figure out what scope I want to use.  I've built a few, but this was my first attempt at a free float.  Glad to hear some flex is normal.  After torquing the barrel nut a little tighter, and trying to ensure I was torquing the rail screws as evenly as possible, mine has very little movement up front now.
View Quote

Link Posted: 1/6/2014 10:13:09 AM EDT
[#46]
I have one of these rails I bought maybe 6 months ago or so. I caught hell from all the Tier Oners at the time. I put the rail on a mutt of an AR. I haven't had any issues with it in about 500 rounds of shooting, other than the little "ribs" that run between the holes in the rail are kinda sharp. If you own one you know what I mean. Other than that, it's been a decent product and worth what I paid for it.
Link Posted: 1/15/2014 4:55:08 PM EDT
[#47]
Anyone have any leads on where to grab one of these for under 100 bux?

Please and thank you
Link Posted: 1/15/2014 6:34:54 PM EDT
[#48]
UTG Pro here

I ordered the mid-length for a dedicated .22lr and got free shipping too.
Link Posted: 1/15/2014 9:30:54 PM EDT
[#49]
Amazon for a little over $100. You missed the $20 off by a week or so.

9 inch

13 inch

Link Posted: 1/15/2014 9:32:50 PM EDT
[#50]
I liked the lightweight slim profile of the 13" handguard that I also picked up a 9" for a future build.
Page / 16
Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top