Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 16
Posted: 11/20/2013 11:53:10 AM EDT
Wondered if anyone has one of these in either carbine, mid, or rifle length.  
Do you like them?  They are made in USA, not cheap chinese knock off stuff.  
Thanks.

http://www.leapers.com/prod_detail.php?mitem=&level1=&level2=&itemno=MTU004SS&status=utg

Link Posted: 11/20/2013 2:30:34 PM EDT
[#1]
According to a local store that sells them, the Made in USA is very barely true. Most everything is done in China and only the minimum needed to claim US is done here. Don't know how much of that is true, or what is or is not done in the US.

Having said that, a friend installed a 7" and for the light use he has so far put it to it has been great . They are slim, and reasonably light for the price. No problems with install, or loosening or flexing once installed.

Link Posted: 11/20/2013 3:08:48 PM EDT
[#2]
Anything UTG or NCStar is crap.
Link Posted: 11/20/2013 3:46:35 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
View Quote

Said the man who has used the rail in question and had it fail?
Link Posted: 11/20/2013 5:08:46 PM EDT
[#4]
they look good its kinda tempting
Link Posted: 11/20/2013 5:10:26 PM EDT
[#5]
I got a rifle length one to put on my 16" carbine and it has been great. The UTG pro rails are pretty nice especially for the money and are not that heavy. I would dump the rail covers that come with them though.
Link Posted: 11/20/2013 7:08:56 PM EDT
[#6]
I am tempted.  If you shop around you can get it for <$100
Link Posted: 11/20/2013 8:19:39 PM EDT
[#7]
The one I have is GTG.
Link Posted: 11/20/2013 8:38:59 PM EDT
[#8]
I have one of the pro series quad rails in 13" length and it is very high quality.  It's on my dedicated 22 right now but i wouldn't hesitate to put it on my bigger rifles if i had to.
Link Posted: 11/20/2013 8:56:13 PM EDT
[#9]
is it just me or do they look really similar to another more respected manufacturers rail? I forget which one but they def look very familiar. Not ragging on them, if they work they work.
Link Posted: 11/20/2013 9:10:57 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
I am tempted.  If you shop around you can get it for <$100
View Quote

I didn't realize how much these things have gotten up in price. I bought mine for like 80 shipped. I have been completely happy with mine. If I hadn't of gotten a killer a deal on an MI 7" rail I would have gone with another UTG pro for my pistol.
Link Posted: 11/20/2013 9:27:08 PM EDT
[#11]
They are GTG, have two one in Mid Length and one in Rifle, no problems and well made...Only the Pro models are USA made.
Link Posted: 11/20/2013 10:42:04 PM EDT
[#12]
Do you have any pictures?  Would like to see how it looks.
How was the install?

Quoted:
They are GTG, have two one in Mid Length and one in Rifle, no problems and well made...Only the Pro models are USA made.
View Quote

Link Posted: 11/20/2013 10:50:54 PM EDT
[#13]
Anyone here heard of Nordic Components AR15 Handguard Slotted Midlength?
http://nordiccomp.com/retail/shop/ar-15-10/nc-free-float-hand-guard-mid-length/

USA or China made?  
I am trying to stick with an all USA rifle.
Link Posted: 11/20/2013 10:56:49 PM EDT
[#14]
I own 2 of these both the 13" model. I bought these cause I built 2 rifles at once, my daughter wanted one after I started my build. I bought them off of Amazon they were $110. They are not as nice as a Midwest Industries Gen2 SS, but they are half the price. The only problem I had with these was the included barrel nut wrench. I broke one and stretched the other one out so much it didn't work. I had a spanner wrench and strap wrench that I used to tighten the barrel nut. My rifles were put together last week so I don't have very much time on them. But here is a couple pics.

If have any other questions I will try to answer them.
Link Posted: 11/20/2013 10:59:49 PM EDT
[#15]
It looks like a Troy Alpha or Troy VTAC rail, but costs less.  
https://www.primaryarms.com/Troy-VTAC-Alpha-BattleRail-9-Black-No-Sight-p/strx-avk-90bt-01.htm

I wonder how this UTG would hold up to some occasional rough house work?  
Below is how it is mounted.  

Quoted:
is it just me or do they look really similar to another more respected manufacturers rail? I forget which one but they def look very familiar. Not ragging on them, if they work they work.
View Quote

Link Posted: 11/20/2013 11:02:17 PM EDT
[#16]
moprint, wow.  Very nice looking.  
So the install had trouble, thanks to the cheap tool?  Hmmm, have to think about this.  
Otherwise the product looks good.
Link Posted: 11/20/2013 11:09:37 PM EDT
[#17]
Yes the supplied wrench is pretty much junk. Other then that I like them, but time will tell. I just finished them last week and thanks for liking them.
Link Posted: 11/20/2013 11:15:50 PM EDT
[#18]
I am looking at a similar deal, but with mid length hand guard to just cover my low profile gas block.  I suppose the rifle length does the job too.  Does the rifle length make it feel nose heavy?
Dang, the rifle one is going for $100 shipped!
http://www.amazon.com/UTG-Super-Float-Handguard-13-Inch/dp/B00DE8UEPQ/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1385007413&sr=8-1&keywords=mtu006ss

Quoted:
Yes the supplied wrench is pretty much junk. Other then that I like them, but time will tell. I just finished them last week and thanks for liking them.
View Quote

Link Posted: 11/20/2013 11:28:49 PM EDT
[#19]
No they don't feel nose heavy. I got the 13" ones to cover the cut out for the 203 mount on my M4 style barrels. I have put about 400 rounds through both of those rifles and that was mostly sitting and free hand. I think they are good for the money, just be careful tightening the barrel nut. A friend helped do the one on my rifle, the one on top in the pics, and we didn't have a problem. I built the pink barreled rifle by my self and that is when I ran into problems with the supplied wrench. Maybe it's a 2 person job. I'm still pleased for the money.
Link Posted: 11/20/2013 11:49:00 PM EDT
[#20]
I've got a 9" and 13" only 2 faults I can find is finish isn't really hard and they don't make a 15" as to the wrench had no problem at all with it, in fact used the same for both h/g's

ETA: actually picked this over the Midwest Industries Gen2 SS, between dealer pricing and a promo code was within $20 of each other, went with this as I like the way they mounted over the MidWest unit
Link Posted: 11/21/2013 1:55:07 AM EDT
[#21]
Be careful with Amazon - folks have reported getting items that were "returned" by another customer (this and other items).

Only downside to this UTG Pro is that you can not get extra rails, and it comes with only three.
That said I have a 9 incher (actually 9.25) enroute.

I have the UTG Pro Carbine version for rifles with a handguard cap by the gas block, and for a two-piece system it is rock solid.
The rail covers are bulky, so ladder rail covers is the way to go, in most cases. The rail edges are little sharp, but than so is my
MI SS Gen2.
Link Posted: 11/21/2013 6:54:21 PM EDT
[#22]
Did you get a deal on the 9 incher?  Anything <$100 out there?
Quoted:
Be careful with Amazon - folks have reported getting items that were "returned" by another customer (this and other items).

Only downside to this UTG Pro is that you can not get extra rails, and it comes with only three.
That said I have a 9 incher (actually 9.25) enroute.

I have the UTG Pro Carbine version for rifles with a handguard cap by the gas block, and for a two-piece system it is rock solid.
The rail covers are bulky, so ladder rail covers is the way to go, in most cases. The rail edges are little sharp, but than so is my
MI SS Gen2.
View Quote

Link Posted: 11/21/2013 7:40:50 PM EDT
[#23]
They are on Amazon for less then $100. By them from UTG Sport. That's where I got my 2 from.
Link Posted: 11/21/2013 8:07:41 PM EDT
[#24]
Dang.  Going to have to pull the trigger on one.  

Quoted:
They are on Amazon for less then $100. By them from UTG Sport. That's where I got my 2 from.
View Quote

Link Posted: 11/21/2013 8:29:04 PM EDT
[#25]
I bought the 13" model.

Sold my daniel defense lite 10.0 afterwards if that says anything.

The slim 13" UTG weighs about the same as the 10" DD rail, feels as sturdy, finish holds up as well and feels nicer on the hands... Its on sale on amazon for around $80 with UTG's promo of 20% off $100 or more.

Solid rail that breaks outside the UTG Airsoft crap mold.

I also have UTG's pro version quick detach rings and they work very well.
Link Posted: 11/21/2013 9:03:25 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
I bought the 13" model.

The slim 13" UTG weighs about the same as the 10" DD rail, feels as sturdy, finish holds up as well and feels nicer on the hands... Its on sale on amazon for around $80 with UTG's promo of 20% off $100 or more.

View Quote

And were might a person find that code ?

Looks like the price dropped from $102 when I ordered mine to $95 which just happens to be under the promo code limit , now to look for cheap filler
Link Posted: 11/21/2013 9:40:48 PM EDT
[#27]
Please do tell us about the coupon code!!!
I can't find anything

Quoted:

Looks like the price dropped from $102 when I ordered mine to $95 which just happens to be under the promo code limit , now to look for cheap filler
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
I bought the 13" model.

Link Posted: 11/21/2013 9:50:57 PM EDT
[#28]
What are the advantages of the 13" vs 9"??
Link Posted: 11/21/2013 10:15:16 PM EDT
[#29]
Got my 9 incher from Optics Planet for $104 minis 12% (discount code post card in mail) and free shipping = $91.52.
Link Posted: 11/21/2013 10:51:32 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
Got my 9 incher from Optics Planet for $104 minis 12% (discount code post card in mail) and free shipping = $91.52.
View Quote

Thanks spaced checking O/P out, got the post card too . Think I'll wait till next Friday see turns up
Link Posted: 11/22/2013 12:05:04 AM EDT
[#31]
Care to share the code?

Quoted:

Thanks spaced checking O/P out, got the post card too . Think I'll wait till next Friday see turns up
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Link Posted: 11/22/2013 12:31:54 AM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
How was the install?

View All Quotes
Quoted:
How was the install?

Quoted:

Will post some tomorrow...Thanks.
Link Posted: 11/22/2013 5:33:49 AM EDT
[#33]

says it's a one time use sorry

Quoted:
Care to share the code?

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Care to share the code?

Quoted:
Quoted:

Link Posted: 11/22/2013 5:38:35 PM EDT
[#34]
I read this post this morning and decided 20.00 off 100.00 was too good to pass up.  I had been considering that UTG Pro for some time.
I found very few reviews but all were good.  Deal is amazon deal.  Look up rail then find another
qualifying UTG product.  Language about deal near product description.
Link Posted: 11/22/2013 8:08:12 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:
Anyone here heard of Nordic Components AR15 Handguard Slotted Midlength?
http://nordiccomp.com/retail/shop/ar-15-10/nc-free-float-hand-guard-mid-length/

USA or China made?  
I am trying to stick with an all USA rifle.
View Quote

Nordic Components is located in MN and make some good stuff
Link Posted: 11/22/2013 8:22:16 PM EDT
[#36]
I installed one of these for a buddy. I ordered myself one today from amazon for 94 bucks.
Link Posted: 11/22/2013 10:24:51 PM EDT
[#37]
UTG Pro stuff is pretty decent
Link Posted: 11/22/2013 10:29:57 PM EDT
[#38]
Ok, just ordered one of the 9 inch ones.  I added a $12 pistol holster I could use and with the $20 off the whole thing came to $87 shipped.
Link Posted: 11/22/2013 11:44:58 PM EDT
[#39]
I just installed a 13" over a 16" carbine-gas barrel last week, and had a chance to shoot it over the weekend.  At $104 shipped, it's a smoking deal.

Observations:

1.  It's narrower than my Troy rails. OD is about .10 narrower. Very nice feel to the hand, and very light.
2.  I like the barrel nut arrangement, in that it's low-profile.  It sits completely below the gas tube, so there's no timing issues.  I had no problems with the supplied barrel wrench, but you have to really make sure you seat it, and get the "hook" in the right direction.
3.  Very solid lock-up via 6 allen screws through the rail into the barrel nut.  Solid as a rock.
4  The rail is threaded at the slots for attachment of the external rail sections.  You can move things around without having to dismount the rail and reach little nut plates, a al Troy.  Not exactly keymod, but nice.
5.  The end of the rail extends onto the upper on each side by about .25", making the attachment seamless.  Very nice.

According to their website, the UTG Pro line is made in the US.  Actually made here, not shipped over from China and assembled. If you look at the website, you can see pics of the manufacturing process.

In 2009, we made an important decision to start our Made-In-the-USA Manufacturing Operation. With our full commitment to serving more customers in the market with 922R compliant products, we have begun making our unique mounting systems and polymer stocks under the UTG PRO brand in Michigan, USA. In 2011, with great excitement and determination, we completed our expansion into a 40,000 sqft facility within 2 weeks. We will continue to follow our vision for U.S. made products, to be innovation-driven and to offer our customers the highest quality/value products at the most competitive pricing.
View Quote

Could be bullshit, I suppose, but I think that's why they use the "Pro" identifier.  If you notice, you can see "UTG" products advertised and a different line of "UTG Pro" stuff.

Bottom line for me:  I just ordered a 7" for $85 shipped for my 10.5" upper.  I was a Troy fanboy (2 Alpha's and 2 VTAC's), but if I want a slim line rail, I'll be building on this from now on.
Link Posted: 11/23/2013 12:31:19 AM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:
I just installed a 13" over a 16" carbine-gas barrel last week, and had a chance to shoot it over the weekend.  At $104 shipped, it's a smoking deal.

Observations:

1.  It's narrower than my Troy rails. OD is about .10 narrower. Very nice feel to the hand, and very light.
2.  I like the barrel nut arrangement, in that it's low-profile.  It sits completely below the gas tube, so there's no timing issues.  I had no problems with the supplied barrel wrench, but you have to really make sure you seat it, and get the "hook" in the right direction.
3.  Very solid lock-up via 6 allen screws through the rail into the barrel nut.  Solid as a rock.
4  The rail is threaded at the slots for attachment of the external rail sections.  You can move things around without having to dismount the rail and reach little nut plates, a al Troy.  Not exactly keymod, but nice.
5.  The end of the rail extends onto the upper on each side by about .25", making the attachment seamless.  Very nice.

According to their website, the UTG Pro line is made in the US.  Actually made here, not shipped over from China and assembled. If you look at the website, you can see pics of the manufacturing process.

Could be bullshit, I suppose, but I think that's why they use the "Pro" identifier.  If you notice, you can see "UTG" products advertised and a different line of "UTG Pro" stuff.

Bottom line for me:  I just ordered a 7" for $85 shipped for my 10.5" upper.  I was a Troy fanboy (2 Alpha's and 2 VTAC's), but if I want a slim line rail, I'll be building on this from now on.
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Observations:

In 2009, we made an important decision to start our Made-In-the-USA Manufacturing Operation. With our full commitment to serving more customers in the market with 922R compliant products, we have begun making our unique mounting systems and polymer stocks under the UTG PRO brand in Michigan, USA. In 2011, with great excitement and determination, we completed our expansion into a 40,000 sqft facility within 2 weeks. We will continue to follow our vision for U.S. made products, to be innovation-driven and to offer our customers the highest quality/value products at the most competitive pricing.

agreed. great product for the price. super light, super sturdy, super slim.
Link Posted: 12/27/2013 3:32:22 PM EDT
[#41]
I did an unboxing video here: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PXQWRAVXd6U
I'll be attempting to install it again tonight, and I'll post the video here when done.
Link Posted: 12/27/2013 4:52:37 PM EDT
[#42]
Ive bought a few UTG products, they're not anywhere near the highest quality, NOWHERE NEAR IT. But they do work. Im running a UTG pro gas block on my carbine right now and its machined a tiny bit crooked, but it works flawlessly. If you want perfect machining, go with something more expensive. You get what you pay for
Link Posted: 12/27/2013 7:00:32 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:
View Quote

+1
Link Posted: 12/27/2013 8:45:37 PM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:

+1
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

+1

UTG/NCStar, and UTG Pro are different companies. Leapers UTG Pro stuff is made in Michigan, which is almost the same as the US.
Link Posted: 12/27/2013 9:22:41 PM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:

+1
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

+1

I've  got a 9" and 13" UTG Slim Pro wished they made them in 15",as I like my 9" and 13" better then my 15" M.I. GEN II SS SERIES , UTG has a much better handguard to upper mounting setup then M.I., .

Link Posted: 12/28/2013 11:11:00 AM EDT
[#46]
Quick review/install (complete with shitty pictures).

Time to put on one of these. (Thanks, PSA)

Stick it in here:

AeroShell 33 goodness:

Manual.  Clear and concise. Well illustrated.  Wait!  "Proudly made... where!!??"  

Shitty picture of the barrel nut.  Low pro, so no indexing of the gas tube.

Included barrel wrench:

Slightly better picture of the barrel nut with wrench in place:

This part really torques me off.  NTE 60 ft/lbs

Forgot to take a picture of the barrel nut/screw hole line up, so here's the manual's pic:

YHM low-pro gas block and tube:

Test fit:

The rail has two large anti-rotation  "tabs" that sleeve back over the receiver about 1/4."  Gives it a clean look, IMO:

I always use an old piece of rail extension to line up free-float rails, just to be extra sure:

The rail is secured to the nut with six allen screws, which come pre-locktite'd. Nice touch.

Screws in here, on the left, and bottom:

Installed:

A2 Flash Hider:

Complete:

Needless to say, I really like the rail.  If they start making them in FDE, I'm in trouble.

Link Posted: 12/28/2013 11:46:54 AM EDT
[#47]
ScottS, great pics.  I bought one for my wife's build.  I'll be assembling that early next year.
Link Posted: 12/28/2013 12:26:01 PM EDT
[#48]
I've bought three of the utg slim pros . One in 9 inch for a pistol build and two in 13 inch. I love them and I wouldn't hesitate to buy another one. The fit and finish are excellent for 100$.
Link Posted: 12/28/2013 3:20:55 PM EDT
[#49]
Link Posted: 12/28/2013 3:54:44 PM EDT
[#50]
Going to be putting one of these on my 7.5 pistol build.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 16
Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top