Previous Page
Page:  / 2
Author
Posted: 8/7/2013 2:46:05 AM
[Last Edit: 8/7/2013 2:46:37 AM by AdrianP]
So im half way done building my ar 15 with the whole upper complete basically and now the hard part is getting a lower receiver.... I know i can pay the FFL dealer/shop to put it together and pay them alot more money for this but is there other ways of getting it? I saw people say get your family member can get it but no one has a firearms license except me is there a way i could still get one if i brought my mom and shes over 21? Also the other way i seen people say is face to face transfer of a lower receiver can be done, but im not sure if thats the same law/rule that applies to New Jersey. Because if its allowed i can get someone to buy the lower and then transfer it too me. Which one of these work best or is there something else that i can do to get it? HELP
Storm_Tracker
Nader Chaser
Link To This Post
Posted: 8/7/2013 2:54:32 AM
You could move.

Don't spend the rest of your life in a NJ shithole... I used to live there. The only thing I miss is the food.
AdrianP
Link To This Post
Posted: 8/7/2013 2:56:44 AM
I wish i could move but im stuck in this horrible state for awhile not moving anytime soon.
Storm_Tracker
Nader Chaser
Link To This Post
Posted: 8/7/2013 3:05:01 AM
I would tiptoe around firearms there.

When I moved there I learned I needed a license for a handgun that I already owned. I was told to call a state police barracks. I did and told them I had a firearm and I wanted to be all legal. They told me to bring the firearm to the barracks and they would take possession of it, then give me the paperwork to fill out. I asked him when I would get my firearm back. He said probably around 6 months, "if" I'm approved. I said I'll be right down. Lol

Hopefully someone who lives there will have more information to help you.
nmguy23
Link To This Post
Posted: 8/7/2013 3:05:22 AM
How about an LMT assembled lower?
Storm_Tracker
Nader Chaser
Link To This Post
Posted: 8/7/2013 3:06:38 AM
Try here to see if they will have answers for you in the hometown forum.

NuclearPickle
Only votes Pie
Link To This Post
Posted: 8/7/2013 3:30:03 AM
Slackers

Mr. Gubment
Acedraven
- PJ -
Link To This Post
Posted: 8/7/2013 5:53:33 AM
[Last Edit: 8/7/2013 5:54:11 AM by Acedraven]
If the issue is it possibly being used as a pistol lower.

Buy one complete and have it shipped to FFL, Buy one complete from FFL. Or buy a stripped lower and try having them install just the buffer tube and stock (Maybe you could even bring your own in?) Should only take them a few minutes to do.

Find a shop with good people and they should take care of you.
rifleman207
Link To This Post
Posted: 8/7/2013 8:57:57 AM
If you buy an assembled complete lower, I think it would be a rfle since a stock is already attached.
GHPorter
Crufflers Rule!
Military
Link To This Post
Posted: 8/7/2013 9:14:46 AM
As noted above, a stripped lower transfers as neither a rifle or a pistol, but it "could be" a pistol, so the 21 year old rule applies (not just in Jersey). On the other hand, a complete lower with a stock is already a "rifle" legally, and that means that (most places anyway) it can be transferred to an 18 year old buyer who is otherwise legally qualified.
"--you can't conquer a free man; the most you can do is kill him."
Heinlein
jaydee54
Enjoying my BRD
Link To This Post
Posted: 8/7/2013 9:49:26 AM
[Jump To Reply]Originally Posted By GHPorter:
As noted above, a stripped lower transfers as neither a rifle or a pistol, but it "could be" a pistol, so the 21 year old rule applies (not just in Jersey). On the other hand, a complete lower with a stock is already a "rifle" legally, and that means that (most places anyway) it can be transferred to an 18 year old buyer who is otherwise legally qualified.

WRONG
I'll never count how many I have. That way I don't have to lie when she asks.
And, yes, I do need another one.
Wombat
Link To This Post
Posted: 8/7/2013 10:09:20 AM
[Last Edit: 8/7/2013 10:10:45 AM by Wombat]

+

Or

With a non FFL.

Or buy a rifle and take the lower from it.

I do not know NJ law so I would check with the HTF as has been posted before.
akpatriot22
Link To This Post
Posted: 8/7/2013 10:55:28 AM
Drive with a parent to PA. Then again not sure on NJ laws regarding transporting a weapon back across state lines.
jaqufrost
Military
Link To This Post
Posted: 8/7/2013 11:12:25 AM
[Jump To Reply]Originally Posted By jaydee54:
Originally Posted By GHPorter:

WRONG
http://www.ar15.com/media/viewFile.html?i=26635
Too many people assume that because it has a butt stock its a rifle, they totally forget that federal law requires both a butt stock and a barrel to be a rifle.
aelliott09
Link To This Post
Posted: 8/7/2013 11:46:55 AM
[Jump To Reply]Originally Posted By jaqufrost:
Originally Posted By jaydee54:

WRONG
Too many people assume that because it has a butt stock its a rifle, they totally forget that federal law requires both a butt stock and a barrel to be a rifle.

Couldn't he just take his assembled upper to the dealer have them put it on the assembled lower and sell asa rifle?
jaqufrost
Military
Link To This Post
Posted: 8/7/2013 11:57:03 AM
[Jump To Reply]Originally Posted By aelliott09:
Originally Posted By jaqufrost:
SNIP

Couldn't he just take his assembled upper to the dealer have them put it on the assembled lower and sell asa rifle?
Only if the dealer is a licensed manufacturer. If the dealer is a licensed manufacturer they could then assemble the rifle and sell it to him as such. Most dealers are not manufactures though.
Circuits
NRA
Link To This Post
Posted: 8/7/2013 12:00:15 PM
Basically, because you live in New Jersey, you'll have to either build one yourself from an 80%, or buy a complete rifle and sell off the parts you don't want to recoup some of your costs. Or someone can die and leave it to you in their will (not being funny - that's another way to bypass having to go through an FFL - as part of an estate).
"The only real difference between the men and the boys, is the number and size, and cost of their toys."
NRA Life, GOA Life, CSSA Life, NRA Certified Instructor, FFL/SOT 07/C2
blandfordryan
Link To This Post
Posted: 8/7/2013 12:08:22 PM
Even if the lower has a stock and is complete and ready to go for a rifle, it is still sold as "other" which requires you to be 21. You can have a shop with a manufacturing license sell you an upper when you come to pick up your lower. Then it would be classified as a rifle that they manufactured. Then you can "sell" the upper back to them or keep it.

That's what I did when I was 19
sleeper_79
Link To This Post
Posted: 8/7/2013 12:18:30 PM
Building an 80% reciever in NJ is not legal unless you are registered as a manufacturer. I posted that question in the NJ forum a while ago and there is a very good reply that fully answers the question. My suggestion would be go to a good gun shop in your area and talk to them. There are a few around with good people that will take the time to explain the laws to you and tell you what your options are.
flosho
Link To This Post
Posted: 8/7/2013 2:21:03 PM
Could you find a buddy or friend that needs/wants a complete upper assembly? If so, then purchase a complete rifle in your name and remove the upper, sell to friend and keep your lower? Not sure on the legality of that in NJ though.
jaqufrost
Military
Link To This Post
Posted: 8/7/2013 2:48:37 PM
[Jump To Reply]Originally Posted By flosho:
Could you find a buddy or friend that needs/wants a complete upper assembly? If so, then purchase a complete rifle in your name and remove the upper, sell to friend and keep your lower? Not sure on the legality of that in NJ though.
I think this is your best option. Sell the extra upper on the EE and you probably won't lose to much on it.
AdrianP
Link To This Post
Posted: 8/7/2013 8:45:32 PM
How about buying a lower from someone already can you do that at age 18? because i know a FFL dealer cant and has to do it by law and thats why it has to be 21, but never saw anything about a private seller that has one and wanted to sell it too a 18 year old
edgephoto
Link To This Post
Posted: 8/7/2013 9:12:50 PM
If an FFL won't do it then it is not legal. ANybody who does this can be in big trouble. Your best bet is to buy a complete rifle and sell what you don't need later. Your only other alternative is to find a shop that can build your rifle for you and process the transfer. I am sure the New Germany hometown forums will have a list of shops for you.
Wombat
Link To This Post
Posted: 8/7/2013 9:14:32 PM
[Jump To Reply]Originally Posted By edgephoto:
If an FFL won't do it then it is not legal. ANybody who does this can be in big trouble.

AdrianP
Link To This Post
Posted: 8/7/2013 9:21:33 PM
actually that's not true i know other states allow a private seller to be able to sell a lower receiver too an 18 year old as long as it will be turned into a rifle i just dont know about jersey if its the same thing.
GHPorter
Crufflers Rule!
Military
Link To This Post
Posted: 8/7/2013 9:39:40 PM
[Jump To Reply]Originally Posted By jaydee54:

WRONG

I was referring to how most dealers will see it; "it has a stock, so it's a rifle lower," and thus they will be likely to go ahead and sell it to an 18 year old buyer. Since the subject of this thread was how the 18 year old OP could get a lower, I had not expected to be jumped on by anyone citing technical details that do not really apply to the OP's question. I probably should have been more clear in how I stated the "legally" phrase, but your comment is really not helpful to the OP...
"--you can't conquer a free man; the most you can do is kill him."
Heinlein
  Previous Page
Page:  / 2