Site Notices
9/18/2014 11:03:27 AM
Author
Posted: 4/17/2013 11:18:02 AM
Is there a source that provides a barrel and bolt as a set which would eliminate the necessity of headspace issues during assembly? I originally planned on using an upper assy., but now I think I'd rather piece it out but would like to eliminate any possible of having headspace issues, so thought there might be someone that offers a bolt with the bbl. that has already been ck'ed. for proper headspace.
Sheff
Link To This Post
Posted: 4/17/2013 11:28:40 AM
Originally Posted By kapusta:
Is there a source that provides a barrel and bolt as a set which would eliminate the necessity of headspace issues during assembly? I originally planned on using an upper assy., but now I think I'd rather piece it out but would like to eliminate any possible of having headspace issues, so thought there might be someone that offers a bolt with the bbl. that has already been ck'ed. for proper headspace.

Noveske does, DSG sells some of the combos
SWThomas
Link To This Post
Posted: 4/17/2013 1:49:18 PM
Originally Posted By Sheff:

This ^^. But it's a match barrel and you're going to pay an arm and a leg for the set. The liklihood of your headspace being out of tolerance is minimal with pretty much an new barrel and bolt you buy.
kapusta
Link To This Post
Posted: 4/17/2013 6:08:26 PM
Originally Posted By SWThomas:
Originally Posted By Sheff:

This ^^. But it's a match barrel and you're going to pay an arm and a leg for the set. The liklihood of your headspace being out of tolerance is minimal with pretty much an new barrel and bolt you buy.

That's kind of what I thought, but figured if there was a way to remove any doubt, I'd go that route. I was also thinking that I could just stop over to a shop that had a set of gauges and have them check it after assembly, just to be sure. I just can't see investing in gauges for one rifle. Yeah, I know, the solution would be to just build a few more and spread the cost out over more guns. Hmmmmm...... I just remembered something, I have a box of headspace gauges from when I was in the business - I wonder if there is a .223/5.56 set in there. The plot thickens.