ARCHIVED ARCHIVED
  Previous Page
Page:  / 2
Author
Posted: 3/23/2013 2:28:44 PM
[Last Edit: 3/23/2013 2:31:10 PM by rocus]
Helped my friend put together an AR, he went to the range for the first tome today and after 5 shots the lower snapped. Not impressed at all. I will post pictures when he gets here later tonight.

Second post of a broken ATI lower in the past day or so, not looking good.
_DR
Tax Slave
Military
Link To This Post
Posted: 3/23/2013 2:48:03 PM
[Last Edit: 3/23/2013 2:49:24 PM by _DR]
If you are talking polymer, GWACS is the only one I would even consider. (formerly CAV-15).

Please do post the images, for the benefit of future AR15 builders who may not understand why copying an exact design in a different material won't work.
"Ah, curse your sudden but inevitable betrayal!"
HardShell
Just happy to be here!
NRA
Link To This Post
Posted: 3/23/2013 3:13:02 PM
[Last Edit: 3/23/2013 3:13:58 PM by HardShell]
Mine hasn't given me any problems yet, but it's a dedicated .22 build so it may hold up longer.

If it breaks, it breaks -- I paid < $400 delivered for the complete .22 rifle NIB, I can rebuild everything on a traditional receiver (I still have several extras lying around) and still feel okay about the money involved.

No, I wouldn't build a centerfire AR out of one of these FWIW.

I am a CHRISTIAN, a CONSERVATIVE, and a REPUBLICAN... in exactly that order, and completely without apology.
JedYonkers
Link To This Post
Posted: 3/23/2013 3:27:26 PM
I pity the fool who pays $350 for a stripped poly lower.
HardShell
Just happy to be here!
NRA
Link To This Post
Posted: 3/23/2013 3:30:41 PM

Originally Posted By JedYonkers:
I pity the fool who pays $350 for a stripped poly lower.

They were selling for THAT much at some point?!?!?

I am a CHRISTIAN, a CONSERVATIVE, and a REPUBLICAN... in exactly that order, and completely without apology.
MSMLS
Link To This Post
Posted: 3/23/2013 4:38:38 PM
waiting on pics...
rocus
Link To This Post
Posted: 3/23/2013 7:43:23 PM
here they are.... Anyone else in the s/n range of AR192xx have any issues

rocus
Link To This Post
Posted: 3/23/2013 7:55:29 PM
when assembling one of their other other lowers I noticed that they missed something, there should be a hole here for the detent and spring for the buffer. I think QC at ATI needs to step it up a notch. I have to send this one in to them to drill the hole, I've already spoken to them about it.

okiejeff
Link To This Post
Posted: 3/23/2013 7:59:51 PM
I'm not sure why people expect polymer lowers to not break.
RC-DEVIL
Link To This Post
Posted: 3/23/2013 8:17:33 PM
i dont often use polymers, but when i do i prefer GLOCK

its an AR15, why make it feel like an airsoft rifle? 7075 FTW!
MonkeyProblems
Link To This Post
Posted: 3/23/2013 8:26:18 PM
I don't think anybody expects them to last forever, however, they should last a good while.

Torture test 1
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NaFevpTka-I

Torture test 2
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_qpnmi3XPP8

Torture test 3
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CEAYW_2y4VU

Other video
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ncBnGkjMDJ0
rocus
Link To This Post
Posted: 3/23/2013 8:37:27 PM
Originally Posted By okiejeff:

Well companies like glock have made a name for themselves using polymer, my Springfield XDM has never had any issues either, nor has my S&W shield. When a company does enough r&d and has strict quality control it shows.
jfagan601
FSA GUERRILLA
Link To This Post
Posted: 3/23/2013 8:43:12 PM
Those ATI lowers should be .22 lowers anyways there the bottom of the polymer lowers.Basically garbage.If anything at least get a New Frontier(1400+rounds and counting) and if you want the top of the line polymer lower go with the GWACs/CAV ARMS MK11.There the best you can get for metal.
"If everybody is thinking alike, then somebody is not thinking."

- Gen. George S. Patton Jr.
JJCool
Link To This Post
Posted: 3/23/2013 8:43:20 PM
Don't Glocks and other polymer frame handguns use some sort of metal reinforcement in their frames?
As to the poly AR lowers, all the failure pics I have seen have all failed in the same spot. They seem to break near the rear pin/threads, just like in the OPs pics.
tbougie1
I'm not an A-Hole, I just play one on the internet
Link To This Post
Posted: 3/23/2013 9:06:17 PM
When will they learn.......
"Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?"

That's NORTH Dakota, BTW
d16man
pickin' and grinnin'
Link To This Post
Posted: 3/23/2013 9:09:05 PM
wasn't there another of these threads just a few days ago?
إلى الأبد كافر
skskiid
Link To This Post
Posted: 3/23/2013 9:10:19 PM
Garbage.
Foil_Time
Gun bans make me grumpy
Link To This Post
Posted: 3/23/2013 9:13:36 PM
Surprise surprise
Larger government is never a valid solution.
SheriffPusser
Link To This Post
Posted: 3/23/2013 11:20:17 PM
Originally Posted By _DR:
If you are talking polymer, GWACS is the only one I would even consider. (formerly CAV-15).

Please do post the images, for the benefit of future AR15 builders who may not understand why copying an exact design in a different material won't work.

The GWACS folks are good people.
GTBJW
Helluva Engineer
Link To This Post
Posted: 3/23/2013 11:57:51 PM
Every failure has been in the neck below the threaded ring for the receiver extension. That area is constantly in flex torsion due to the buffer spring. Due to the polymer material being plastic and brittle, it does not exhibit the elasticity and strength present in aluminum. After prominent stress, failure modes occur from propagating cracks resulting from the torsional and shear stresses.

Simple physics.
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
okiejeff
Link To This Post
Posted: 3/24/2013 12:16:53 AM
Originally Posted By rocus:
Originally Posted By okiejeff:

Well companies like glock have made a name for themselves using polymer, my Springfield XDM has never had any issues either, nor has my S&W shield. When a company does enough r&d and has strict quality control it shows.

Yeah, but your Glock doesn't have the weakest point of the frame absorbing the most violent part of the recoil action. Comparing handgun frames to AR15 frames is not a logical comparison.
cole_bie
Link To This Post
Posted: 3/24/2013 12:23:31 AM
Still have yet to see a new frontier break.
FreezinSig
I take "Sheepdogs" to the pound...
Link To This Post
Posted: 3/24/2013 3:07:48 AM
I know of a dealer up here that got over a grand for one on gunbroker.... He just posted it and watched it climb.
Fairbanks Rugby- We play with odd shaped balls.

www.valleyarmory.com
drmarc
Link To This Post
Posted: 3/28/2013 8:03:24 AM
[Last Edit: 3/28/2013 8:04:11 AM by drmarc]

My ATI Omni went together easily with a complete Palmetto Arms lower carbine kit. No problems, everything fit well and topped it with a 223 upper firing 223 ammo. Fired first 11 rounds and found the receiver cracked in the area around the rear takedown pin. The fracture runs almost entirely through the receiver to where the web of your hand touches behind the grip, straight through the rear takedown pin hole. The whole rear(receiver tube/stock and tube threaded part of receiver) is almost entirely separated. Bought this just a few weeks ago from Palmetto.

Got an email today from ATI to call and get a Return Authorization in order to return. Frankly I would not use this for anything but a 22lr upper ONLY, (Posted this ionfo in another polymer lower thread as well)
drmarc
Link To This Post
Posted: 3/28/2013 8:35:49 AM
Originally Posted By rocus:
here they are.... Anyone else in the s/n range of AR192xx have any issues

Considering there are good reviews out there about the ATI lowers and looking at the serial number range of the one above and mine AND the recent reviews on Palmetto Arms advising of the same exact scenario with fracture. I must take an educated guess and conclude that ATI has had a very bad batch of lowers made using an inferior grade of polymer. There are several fractures described in the last few weeks of newly purchased lowers on Palmetto Arms.

I just took a look at the Palmetto website and it appears that the ATI receivers have been totally pulled from the website. I suspect many calls have been coming in about this.
rocus
Link To This Post
Posted: 3/28/2013 8:54:52 AM
When I spoke with PSA on Monday they said that they had received lots of calls with the same issues I had, both with broken receivers and fitment. She said that they were considering pulling the product but they hadn't made a decision at that time. I was instructed to go through ATI for a warranty. I tried to express that I do not trust the product that ATI is producing and wouldn't build a rifle with one again, even if I was able to get a new one through warranty. I said that I wanted to return the ATI Omni receiver and get a refund, but she said they could not refund me since I had accepted delivery from my FFL. I am pretty upset that they are not standing behind the product that they are selling. I was instructed to contact ATI for a refund. I have used PSA many times in the past and have always been happy with their products and service that I have received, but this lack of standing behind the products they sell isn't giving me the warm fuzzes about ordering from them again.

I am less than impressed with ATI. I contacted them on Facebook with a picture and explanation of what happened. My post was quickly deleted, they did not bother to respond or try and contact me to ask if I was ok, or at least to make an attempt to correct the issue. I also sent them an email with pictures and explained what happened, it has been 4 days with no response ATI has been removed from the list of manufacturers that I would consider using.

I contacted my cc company and explained to them what happened with the lower breaking during use and they are working on disputing the charges.
  Previous Page
Page:  / 2
ARCHIVED ARCHIVED