Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 3/14/2013 8:24:38 PM EDT
Hope this dosent piss someone off from another forum
It shows how you can tell if your over gassed or weak and suggestions to correct it.

Link Posted: 3/14/2013 9:23:13 PM EDT
[#1]
thanks for the chart.  lots of us home builders wonder if we got it right.
Link Posted: 3/14/2013 9:28:48 PM EDT
[#2]
As long as it ejects, I give 0 effs.
Link Posted: 3/14/2013 9:54:36 PM EDT
[#3]
If it ejects into low earth orbit at the 2 o'clock position, you're shooting an AK-74

Some of my ARs eject in the "wrong" direction but work perfectly. So long as the rifle cycles properly, I really don't care where it ejects.
Link Posted: 3/14/2013 9:57:04 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
If it ejects into low earth orbit at the 2 o'clock position, you're shooting an AK-74

I have a Mini 14 that will put out a car window at 3:00
Link Posted: 3/15/2013 1:00:00 AM EDT
[#5]
im throwing good, my ak throws them about 2 o clock and about 20-25 feet away, its fun policing brass for that
Link Posted: 3/15/2013 1:30:07 AM EDT
[#6]
Hmm. On my rifle 55gr Federal 5.56 ejects at 1:30 to 2:00 while my 55gr BGI reloaded 5.56 eject at 3:30. I actually just noticed this today at the range when I was policing my brass. The Federal did have noticeably more recoil. Everything cycles fine so I'm not too concerned.
Link Posted: 3/15/2013 2:39:02 AM EDT
[#7]
that chart has caused more grief then a democratic congress.
people take one look at that and freak out because their ejection is "wrong".
the only wrong ejection is a stove pipe,as long as the case is out of the rifle its just right.
having said that, i HAVE used buffer weight to tailor the ejection pattern for easier brass collection, (i.e. stop it from ejecting forward onto the live range)but even then the pattern wasn't "wrong" just inconvenient.
Link Posted: 3/15/2013 4:01:56 AM EDT
[#8]
My colt 10.5" spits wolf at 4 and M855 at 1:30. Guess I need to buy that H2 buffer to run with good ammo.Not a single malfunction after 2500 rds.
Link Posted: 3/15/2013 5:13:01 AM EDT
[#9]
The whole point of this from what I get is how hard the action is worked being over gassed.
Its harder on brass if you reload.
Its harder on the bolt and extractor if the round is extracted before the pressure comes down enough.
If your short stroking there are some clues as to why.
So a weapon that is working at its optimum will work longer before a fail.
I dont know about you but fine tuning my creation to be the best running it can does interest me.

From what I am beginning to understand.
The slower the action without short stroking the lightest ammo you intend to shoot in the coldest conditions you intend to shoot in will result in the smoothest firing longest lasting weapon.
Can anyome argue that?

I cant adjust dwell or timing (yet) but I can dial in spring and buffer weight and add an adjustable gas block if needed.

If you like the way your weapon fires shoot it.
If ya wanna try to fine tune this helped me understand a bit more.

ymmv
Link Posted: 3/15/2013 5:18:25 AM EDT
[#10]
you might want to add that this is for AR's with a brass deflector (and not all deflectors are the same). non deflector uppers  will always be more behind you between 4:00 and 5:00.

As long as it ejects and chambers the next round...and even more important, the bullet hits where you were aiming it's gtg, leave it alone.
Link Posted: 3/15/2013 2:57:43 PM EDT
[#11]
i can see why if you're in the red zone and think you are overgassed a adjustable gas block (presumably to lessen the amount of gas)  would be a band aid to fix a overly large gas port,
but what benefit would a adjustable gas block be if you're in the yellow ( short stroking/gas leak) section?
Link Posted: 3/15/2013 3:31:02 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
i can see why if you're in the red zone and think you are overgassed a adjustable gas block (presumably to lessen the amount of gas)  would be a band aid to fix a overly large gas port,
but what benefit would a adjustable gas block be if you're in the yellow ( short stroking/gas leak) section?

I agree that its not going to fix an undergassed problem unless you open the gas port to allow more gas then dial it in with the adjustment (something only a gunsmith or qualified armorer should do). (I didnt make the CHART).

From what I get the adjustable block gives someone that wants to the ability to adjust not only for an overgassed situation but also to adjust for different types of ammo if so desired.
Like switching from Wolf to XM855 for example. Or between like Wolf and hot handloads.

For myself I am going to an H2 buffer from an H after seeing this and checking with XM193 and XM855 since thats what I fire most.
If I get near 3 o'clock with XM855 then where anything else ends up is where it does.
I have a carbine gas system which I think benefits most from this stuff

If your not into tweaking and your gun ejects and fires dont worry about it as others have said.
If your gun works and your happy with it fire away.

Not meaning to cause grief like a Democratic congress

Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top