Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 5
Posted: 12/15/2012 10:10:08 AM EDT
Well... I saw the thread somewhere here on ARFCOM that there were issues with these lowers.  Of course, I can't find the thead again so I'm starting a new thread to post what I've determined.

I bought three of these receivers this week.  They all have issues.  The complaint is the lower holes don't line up.  Of the three, the rear holes almost line up on the least bad to the other two that don't come close to closing and allowing the rear holes to line up.  I don't think the hole locations are the issue.  (It might be the root cause if I had a way to check the lower to the print.)  The issue I believe is the radius at the rear of the lower is contacting the radius at the rear of the upper before the lower is fully "closed" when pivoting on the front take down pin.  Here's some pics of my two worst:

Link Posted: 12/15/2012 10:22:30 AM EDT
[#1]

Send them back, AIM will take care of you.
Link Posted: 12/15/2012 10:26:01 AM EDT
[#2]
I know this isn't the "proper" way to do it, but if you don't plan on sending them back, maybe try sliding the rear of the upper into place first, pushing the takedown pin on, then dropping the front of the upper into position and pushing the pivot pin through. Essentially attaching the upper to the lower in reverse order. It may work.
Link Posted: 12/15/2012 10:31:55 AM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:

Send them back, AIM will take care of you.

Email sent to AIM.  I'm expecting to not hear back until Monday.  I'm counting on their customer service being as good as I've heard.
Link Posted: 12/15/2012 10:35:41 AM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
I know this isn't the "proper" way to do it, but if you don't plan on sending them back, maybe try sliding the rear of the upper into place first, pushing the takedown pin on, then dropping the front of the upper into position and pushing the pivot pin through. Essentially attaching the upper to the lower in reverse order. It may work.

No it doesn't work.  Unfortunately, there is just too much interference.

My main purpose with this thread was to respond to the thread I can't find anymore.  Folks in that thread were talking about drilling/reaming the holes.  And, unfortunately, that won't come close to solving the root issue that the upper doesn't seat in the lower properly.  I was hoping to inject a little restraint in the folks in the other thread.

Link Posted: 12/15/2012 11:09:54 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

Are you even looking at the same photos?
The lowers are way out of spec.
There is too much material at the buffer tube that is non allowing the upper to seat.
I wouldn't drill or dremmel any material off.
I would only settle for a refund and buy a quality lower from a trusted company.
AIM isn't the problem here, they didn't make the lower.
I would hope the refund you for all of them.
Sometimes a bargain just isn't worth it.
Link Posted: 12/15/2012 11:26:31 AM EDT
[#6]
I knew there was some reason I didn't jump on these.  Just had a bad feeling about them.  Hope they are not all like that and I am sure AIM will take care of you.
Link Posted: 12/15/2012 11:38:11 AM EDT
[#7]
The other thread you are looking are looking for is on page one of rifles, uppers, lowers and more forum.
Link Posted: 12/15/2012 12:02:06 PM EDT
[#8]
i got three that will be here tuesday hope they all dont have issues.
Link Posted: 12/15/2012 1:47:12 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
The other thread you are looking are looking for is on page one of rifles, uppers, lowers and more forum.

Thanks!!
Link Posted: 12/15/2012 1:49:09 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
i got three that will be here tuesday hope they all dont have issues.

I was just going to "bank" mine for my son's 16th birthday.  I'm glad I saw the other thread and checked.  I'd recomend you check them as soon as you receive them.  (Something tells me you were already planning that.)
Link Posted: 12/15/2012 1:56:19 PM EDT
[#11]
Received this 5 minutes ago in response to the email I sent this morning:

"Dennis from ar57 will get you fixed up, call after 12pm Monday (they are west coast) Tel 1-888-900-5728"

Hopefully it's as simple as a phone call.
Link Posted: 12/15/2012 2:15:50 PM EDT
[#12]
I have a feeling your looking at a , "send it back and we'll replace them. Unfortunately we have no others in stock at this time".
Link Posted: 12/15/2012 2:16:19 PM EDT
[#13]
I just ordered 2 of these last night now I am hesitant.....
Link Posted: 12/15/2012 3:50:26 PM EDT
[#14]
Kind of a shame, I thought they looked like pretty cool lowers, but if it doesnt fit, it doesnt matter how good they look
Link Posted: 12/15/2012 5:10:39 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
Kind of a shame, I thought they looked like pretty cool lowers, but if it doesnt fit, it doesnt matter how good they look

Until this morning I would have said "machining quality" looks great.  However, now I'm going to amend that to "The machining surface finsh looks better than other lowers I have." They have very few tool marks or forging seam lines compared to the other AR lower I have.

Link Posted: 12/15/2012 5:13:50 PM EDT
[#16]
Has anyone gotten one that fit fine?
Link Posted: 12/15/2012 5:35:46 PM EDT
[#17]
Glad I hesitated when these popped up

I have several other stipeed lowers back home and would've just "banked" these. Would've never known til I tried to build it and who knows how long from now that would be.
Link Posted: 12/15/2012 6:20:23 PM EDT
[#18]
I just received an email from Bryan at AIM this evening around 10:15 EST.

I requested he please cancel my order for the AR57 receivers, since I have been reading they are out of spec.

He wrote me that my order was cancelled.

Super fast reply, since I just wrote him an hour before.

Thanks to all of you guys that let the rest of us know of the out of spec problems.

Sorry you are having to go through the effort to send them back for replacement.
Link Posted: 12/16/2012 1:33:30 PM EDT
[#19]
I bought 3 of the AR15/AR57 lowers and just received them yesterday. Two are in the high 22 XX and one in the lower 23XX range
(would have been nice to have consecutive serial numbers?). All three fit fine, pins lined up and slid right in. I put them on a Colt upper and a Stag upper with no problems. Maybe some are ok it looks like. Ken
Link Posted: 12/16/2012 2:52:57 PM EDT
[#20]
My three bad ones are in the 17XX range.  Good to know there are some good ones.  Hopefully this will mean a quick fix for my bad ones.
Link Posted: 12/16/2012 2:56:06 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
Has anyone gotten one that fit fine?

My 2 fit fine in the 700 range, actually fit very well.
Link Posted: 12/16/2012 2:56:42 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
I bought 3 of the AR15/AR57 lowers and just received them yesterday. Two are in the high 22 XX and one in the lower 23XX range
(would have been nice to have consecutive serial numbers?). All three fit fine, pins lined up and slid right in. I put them on a Colt upper and a Stag upper with no problems. Maybe some are ok it looks like. Ken

I said the same thing I got two and they were 3 numbers apart so I guess I did alright then
Link Posted: 12/16/2012 2:57:06 PM EDT
[#23]
I have not contacted AIM about this yet as I was unsure if it was my uppers, but one of mine as well.
Link Posted: 12/16/2012 2:57:31 PM EDT
[#24]
Hey man let us know how the handle this, so we know if we are to business with them again in the future.

Quoted:
My three bad ones are in the 17XX range.  Good to know there are some good ones.  Hopefully this will mean a quick fix for my bad ones.

Link Posted: 12/16/2012 3:15:32 PM EDT
[#25]
Link Posted: 12/16/2012 3:26:40 PM EDT
[#26]

Quoted:

if you contact AR57 they can ship you a replacement DIRECTLY back to you, as they are the manufacturer, their contact info is on page one.    If you would rather have a refund contact us and we will get you set up.

Sorry for any of the trouble
Bryan

Aim

contact info (Dennis from ar57 will get you fixed up, call after 12pm Monday (they are west coast)  Tel 1-888-900-5728)  

Link Posted: 12/16/2012 4:07:55 PM EDT
[#27]
Good deal, first time I dealt with you guys definitely won't be the last

Quoted:
if you contact AR57 they can ship you a replacement DIRECTLY back to you, as they are the manufacturer, their contact info is on page one.    If you would rather have a refund contact us and we will get you set up.

Bryan
Aim

contact info (Dennis from ar57 will get you fixed up, call after 12pm Monday (they are west coast)  Tel 1-888-900-5728)  

Link Posted: 12/16/2012 4:25:27 PM EDT
[#28]
I, of course, received an instant response from AIM when I contacted them about this.

the best of the best.  and literally one of only two or three retailers I shop at.
Link Posted: 12/16/2012 4:55:34 PM EDT
[#29]
Glad to hear this isn't a problem with all of them as I've got three of them arriving this week.  Will be trying the fit as soon as I get home with them.
Link Posted: 12/16/2012 7:54:58 PM EDT
[#30]
Mine fits perfectly and only a few numbers off of the op's numbers.  Wonder what happened.
Link Posted: 12/17/2012 4:21:23 AM EDT
[#31]
Pissah.  I ordered mine a while back (on 12/10 I believe) and due to a keystroke error on my behalf and needing to correct payment information, AIM just hit my card.  I suspect it will be shipping soon.

This is my first lower for my first rifle.  I therefore don't have an upper to test fit.  I'm going to email my FFL and ask if he has any uppers in stock (since I don't own one yet) and see if we can do a test fit right away in his shop before I waste too much time.

I am sorry for the OP, but am more at ease by seeing the later posters.

Fingers crossed!
Link Posted: 12/17/2012 6:15:14 AM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
Hey man let us know how the handle this, so we know if we are to business with them again in the future.

Quoted:

I'll let you know.  I'm anxiously waiting for my lunch hour to make the call.

I was pleased to receive a response from AIM just a few hours after I emailed them on a Saturday.  I was expecting to have to wait until today for a response from AIM.  I ordered from AIM with confidence based on their reputation.  Nothing in this transaction has caused a change of opinion.
Link Posted: 12/17/2012 10:09:12 AM EDT
[#33]
Just got 3 in. Serial number range in the 1480s-1490s. All 3 out of spec. One was in between the other 2 and was so out of spec., that you could not close it, the other 2 were could close, but you had to use a plastic mallet to push in the take down pin. Once put together, you could see that the gap between the upper and lower was greater at the back of the receiver, with almost no gap at the front of the receiver (looking from the side). They were test fitted to a new colt 6920 upper and a new PSA midlength (same results from both). I just called 5 minutes ago and spoke to a young lady who said she would pass the information to Dennis and he would call me. They are good looking receivers, only wish they would fit.
Link Posted: 12/17/2012 10:27:16 AM EDT
[#34]
Just got off the phone with Dennis. They took care of me on this issue. I'm very happy with their customer service. I will buy from them  again.
Link Posted: 12/17/2012 10:30:21 AM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:

Bryan
Aim

They can only do this if the serial number is the same. If they have to send you a new lower with a new serial, it should be sent through an FFL.
Link Posted: 12/17/2012 10:42:09 AM EDT
[#36]
It's 2:38 here in MI.  Still trying to get though...  Getting very tired of listening to Dave Brubeck's "Take Five".
Link Posted: 12/17/2012 10:51:21 AM EDT
[#37]
Ok so like I said I just put an upper on top and seen if I had any obstructions through the takedown pin holes.  Listening to this i'm possibly going to buy a LPK and see if they mate up right or not
Link Posted: 12/17/2012 3:22:43 PM EDT
[#38]
you could use a couple 1/4 inch pins, drill bits (the smooth end)  shanks of tools, etc as takedown and pivot pins to check.
Link Posted: 12/18/2012 8:20:18 AM EDT
[#39]
I just got off the phone with AR57 and I'm very  pleased with the response  as well.  As a former quality engineer in the auto industry I had to ask how it happened.  According to Dennis it was a fairly small number of receivers that got out caused by a broken tool and an insufficient quarantine of the suspected parts.
Link Posted: 12/18/2012 11:33:54 AM EDT
[#40]
lol I'm listening to that now after we got disconnected yesterday.

Quoted:
It's 2:38 here in MI.  Still trying to get though...  Getting very tired of listening to Dave Brubeck's "Take Five".

ETA: voicemail
Link Posted: 12/18/2012 11:48:17 AM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:

Quoted:

You want option #2 on the menu tree to get Dennis.  I left a voicemail yesterday and talked to a lady in sales at menu option #1, but didn't get Dennis until today, calling just a few minutes after 12:00 noon.
Link Posted: 12/18/2012 12:03:32 PM EDT
[#42]
I just get that all lines are busy when I call. I have been trying all day.
Link Posted: 12/18/2012 12:40:24 PM EDT
[#43]

I try that every time.

How is he fixing this given that we have transfer fees involved?

Quoted:
Quoted:

Quoted:

You want option #2 on the menu tree to get Dennis.  I left a voicemail yesterday and talked to a lady in sales at menu option #1, but didn't get Dennis until today, calling just a few minutes after 12:00 noon.

Link Posted: 12/18/2012 1:09:41 PM EDT
[#44]
Dennis is taking care of my out of spec lowers all low2000 #. May want to check grip fit also mine where off
Link Posted: 12/18/2012 1:27:03 PM EDT
[#45]
I just picked up both of mine. They are fine. SN 008XX from Kent, WA and SN 007XX from Bellville, Wa.
The engraving on the lower from Bellville is much deeper and more defined, where the lower from Kent is much shallower, although acceptable.
Link Posted: 12/18/2012 2:11:19 PM EDT
[#46]
I received 3 on Friday from AIM Surplus.  Visual inspection at the FFL dealer... all 3 looked fine.  Filled out and filed the FFL paperwork.  Saturday, I discovered the same problem as stated in the original post.  Pivot pin goes in fine, but the takedown pin refuses to line up on 2 lowers. The S/N prefix is 018 on both, and they are consecutive.  Approximately 1/8" gap between the upper and lower above the takedown pin.  The upper hits on the left side of the lower receiver at about 4 o'clock on the .750" radius of the threaded buffer tube "ear".  I tried the lowers with 3 different A3 uppers:  Aero Precision, DS Arms, and Palmetto State Armory. All 3 uppers hit in the same spots on the lowers.   The third lower (016 prefix) will accept a takedown pin, but had to be driven out with a dowel.  It appears that either the .750' radius is not symmetrically machined to both sides, or the threaded buffer "ear" is sprung.  Left side hits the uppers, while the right side still has an appreciable air gap between the upper and lower along the radius.
From the serial number prefix spread of previous posts, it appears to be more than a minor problem.  Received an email promptly this morning from AIM with the AR57 number and to contact Dennis for replacement.   I too am waiting on a return call from a voice mail.  Everybody makes mistakes; I'm just waiting to see how it will be handled and made right.
That is all...

Link Posted: 12/18/2012 2:22:29 PM EDT
[#47]
Dennis seems to be handling damage control very well
He instructed me to send him my serial numbers and And ffl via fax and he would send me new lowers with instructions to follow as regards the defective ones

Everything perfect so far

Link Posted: 12/18/2012 2:31:09 PM EDT
[#48]

Quoted:

Dennis seems to be handling damage control very well

He instructed me to send him my serial numbers and And ffl via fax and he would send me new lowers with instructions to follow as regards the defective ones
Everything perfect so far
Sounds encouraging.  Seems I have the "feces" touch lately... waiting on a replacement bolt carrier assembly that didn't have the radius in the cam pin slot machined correctly.  Wouldn't completely insert into an upper.  Been buying parts and pieces for years with no mechanical/fit problems.  Now 2 in one week.

My real concern is that my lowers are already registered with the "Fed".  Thanks for the info!
That is all...

Link Posted: 12/18/2012 4:17:49 PM EDT
[#49]
Just picked up my three from my FFL this afternoon.  I mated them to an extra upper I had in the safe but didn't try inserting pins, just eyeballed them.  From that very unscientific look they seem okay.  High 18xx serials on all three.
Link Posted: 12/18/2012 4:29:46 PM EDT
[#50]
Just picked mine up this evening, # 015xx. I don't have an upper to check the fit, have they nailed down the numbers that are out of spec?
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 5
Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top