Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 5/29/2012 3:56:36 PM EDT
Hey guys, I am looking for a little advice here.

As you can see, I am the FNG here to AR15.com. I have used this site in the past with tips and tricks for my AR-15, now I've decided to finally become a member.

My current AR is a DPMS Oracle chambered in the .223/ 5.56 NATO. I use this rifle for many different purposes with those calibers. However, I am looking for something with a little more power, without having to buy another rifle. I found on MidwayUSA an Olympic Arms 7.62x39 complete upper receiver, said to be compatible with "standard" AR lowers. Does this mean that my lower receiver chambered in the .223/5.56 can work with this specific upper receiver? If so, is Olympic Arms my best choice value wise ($550)?, or should I go with another brand? If at all possible, I would love to keep the entire rifle DPMS ( im not a huge fan of mixing a bunch of different manufacturers for one rifle).

Any help or advice would be greatly appreciated. Thanks everybody for assisting the FNG!!!

Last but not least, it would be awesome if nothing negative was said about anybody's preferred rifle or products they use. This is the BLACK RIFLE COMMUNITY and would love to keep it that way!!!
Link Posted: 5/29/2012 4:01:15 PM EDT
[#1]
Welcome to the site.

Lower receiver markings are essentially worthless. They are all made to the same dimensions. Many receivers are marked "MULTI" instead of a particular caliber for this very reason.
Link Posted: 5/29/2012 4:34:46 PM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:
Does this mean that my lower receiver chambered in the .223/5.56 can work with this specific upper receiver? If so, is Olympic Arms my best choice value wise ($550)?, or should I go with another brand?

Your lower isn't chambered at all, as whatever chamber you have is in the upper. So yes, you  can use that lower with almost all 7.62x39 AR uppers. Some other worthwhile options as alternatives to the Oly upper include AR Performance, ArmaLite, Model 1 Sales, Bushmaster, Del-Ton and Yankee Hill Machine. The hard primered eastern european steel case ammo (Wolf, Barnaul, etc.) is most reliably lit off using  either the Model 1 firing pin enhanced for 7.62x39 or the AR Performance bolt with a standard firing pin.

Don't bother with the MGI firing pin/bolt comkbo.

ASC 10 and 30 round mags are the ticket.

Have fun! You'll like it.
Link Posted: 5/30/2012 11:55:46 PM EDT
[#3]
Thanks, the advice is much appreciated!!!
Link Posted: 5/31/2012 2:05:09 PM EDT
[#4]
"""ASC 10 and 30 round mags are the ticket.""""

this is the key to having fun with that new upper...buy these mags,  they are hard to come by at a good price but can be found at a higher price,  the best place to get them is AIM. when they are in stock they sell really fast so get on the email list and they will let you know when they have them... around $15 each

Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top