Site Notices
Posted: 5/16/2012 10:37:28 AM EDT
Chip McCormick?
Wilson combat?
What are other smooth quality triggers?
Link Posted: 5/16/2012 10:52:04 AM EDT
[#1]
Why drop-in?

All AR triggers are essentially drop in.

Check out Geissele.
Link Posted: 5/16/2012 11:01:02 AM EDT
[#2]
Timney Triggers
Link Posted: 5/16/2012 1:06:18 PM EDT
[#3]
What are you looking for? Single or 2 stage? Price range? That will narrow down your search considerably as they can range from 100 to 300 bucks.

I have owned in the past or currently own:
Timney
Geissele hi speed 2 stage
Wilson single stage
RRA
LMT
Early Amralite 2 stage match
Milazzo/Krieger 2 stage

Currently I use both single and 2 stage triggers. My target/precision style rifles use a 2 stage and I have the Geissele hi speed in those.

Single stage I use the wilson I had liked the timney but the wilson feels much better to me. Since the timney prices have gone up quite a bit I will spend a little more on the wilsons.

I had 2 RRAs turn to crap in a shot amount of shooting so I won't use those again. They said they fixed the problem but I just won't trust them,
LMTs wern't anything to rave about. Better than a stock trigger but not as good as the modern design triggers like the Geisseles.
I also had a couple of early armalite 2 stage which were about the same as the LMTs.
Link Posted: 5/16/2012 3:25:43 PM EDT
[#4]
One word.... Geissele!
Link Posted: 5/16/2012 3:48:39 PM EDT
[#5]
price really isnt an issue. I want a clean smooth trigger.

I dont have the experience with the different stage triggers to say which I am looking for. if there is a good smooth trigger that is priced well then yes i would go for that one.
Link Posted: 5/16/2012 3:50:44 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
One word.... Geissele!

i see alot of people that are for them what does it have that the others do not?
Link Posted: 5/16/2012 3:51:35 PM EDT
[#7]
wilson single stage
Link Posted: 5/16/2012 3:58:00 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
Timney Triggers

no thanks
Link Posted: 5/16/2012 3:59:13 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
What are you looking for? Single or 2 stage? Price range? That will narrow down your search considerably as they can range from 100 to 300 bucks.

Timney
Wilson single stage
RRA
LMT
Milazzo/Krieger 2 stage

Currently I use both single and 2 stage triggers. My target/precision style rifles use a 2 stage and I have the Geissele hi speed in those.

Single stage I use the wilson I had liked the timney but the wilson feels much better to me. Since the timney prices have gone up quite a bit I will spend a little more on the wilsons.

I had 2 RRAs turn to crap in a shot amount of shooting so I won't use those again. They said they fixed the problem but I just won't trust them,
LMTs wern't anything to rave about. Better than a stock trigger but not as good as the modern design triggers like the Geisseles.
I also had a couple of early armalite 2 stage which were about the same as the LMTs.

which would be more accurate? i want accurate but the shots the rifle would be intended for would be a Police Patrol rifle stand point not a bench rifle.
Link Posted: 5/16/2012 4:24:28 PM EDT
[#10]
i have the timney single stage 3 lb skeltonized in my varmint rig. i love it. crisp clean predictable break every time. zero overtravel. positive reset. it's a great trigger.

for my next build i went with the cmc flat trigger. haven't put it all together yet but i'm excited to try it out...the pull weight should be a little higher than the timney from what i've read.

that being said in my cheapy carbine build i just have stags generic trigger and it's better than any other low end trigger i've tried. after a few 100 rnds its smooth and the break is crisp. it's not in the same ballpark as the timney but it was good enough to leave in there IMO.
Link Posted: 5/16/2012 5:38:48 PM EDT
[#11]
my next trigger is the one Pact offers
Link Posted: 5/16/2012 6:12:57 PM EDT
[#12]
I have a Jewell in my VTR which I use for hunting as well as informal target shooting. This is actually the 2nd one. The first needed sent back because it was made wrong. While it was being repaired, I installed a RRA 2 stage NM that I borrowed from a friend. If I would have bought the RRA trigger first, at half the price by the way, I probably would still have it. Granted I don't use the Jewell to it's full potential. But in a hunting rifle you have to keep the trigger pull reasonable. RRA must have fixed any problem they may have had because lately I've seen nothing but good reviews.
Link Posted: 5/16/2012 6:32:22 PM EDT
[#13]
I just installed my new Geissele sd3g with the straight trigger today and all I can say is amazing. Worth every penny. The only bad thing is that I have to buy at least 4 more of them now.
Link Posted: 5/17/2012 6:40:50 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Timney
Wilson single stage
RRA
LMT
Milazzo/Krieger 2 stage

which would be more accurate? i want accurate but the shots the rifle would be intended for would be a Police Patrol rifle stand point not a bench rifle.

Any will aid in accuracy over the standard mil spec triggers. It comes down to personal preference. The 2 stage triggers will have a heavier first stage pull and a light 2nd stage pull. Sort of like a M1 Garand or M14 if you have shot one of those. The Geissele hi speeds offer some adjustments to tinker to some extent and see what you want pull weight wise in both stages.
The other models from them are not adjustable but everyoen seems to like them. I have only used the hi speed triggers.

My new favorite is the wilson single stage. Crisp break and really short reset.

Maybe check out the local range and see if anyone is using a different trigger in their rifles and see if you can try it before deciding. I wasted a lot of money swapping triggers out over the years.
Link Posted: 5/17/2012 6:50:57 AM EDT
[#15]
wilson single stage

Yep
Link Posted: 5/17/2012 7:46:48 AM EDT
[#16]
I will try the Wilson to start I guess and the next build will have the Geissele
Link Posted: 5/17/2012 8:49:44 AM EDT
[#17]
Just curious but RRA 2 stage seemed to be a rage a few years ago.  What ever happened to the glowing recommendations for RRA?
Link Posted: 5/17/2012 9:04:07 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
Just curious but RRA 2 stage seemed to be a rage a few years ago.  What ever happened to the glowing recommendations for RRA?

Everything I have read about them lately is that they tend to wear out rather quickly.

For any duty gun I wouldn't recommend any adjustable triggers.  This seems rather obvious, but you should also check with your department to make sure that trigger modifications are allowed.

Link Posted: 5/17/2012 11:41:58 PM EDT
[#19]
For single stage look at the Timney 3lb and 4lb triggers. I have the 4lb in my AR and it's the best trigger I've pulled on in 52 years of shooting.
Link Posted: 5/17/2012 11:56:59 PM EDT
[#20]
Link Posted: 5/18/2012 7:39:29 AM EDT
[#21]
I'm surprised no one has mentioned American Gold.  A buddy had one installed in a 24" varminter AR he bought used.  LOVED it so much, he replaced all his AR triggers with AG triggers.

I have a 3lb Timney installed in one of my ARs... reminds me of a few of my 1911s.
Link Posted: 5/18/2012 7:48:28 AM EDT
[#22]
I've put over 5500 rd through my RRA 2-stage in the carbine and over 3000 rd in my other AR15. No problems with the disconnector pin coming loose.
Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top