Author
Posted: 4/6/2012 4:11:37 PM
Hey guys, a bunch of guys and myself are interesting in doing a group buy on some raw forgings. It is possible to buy them directly from the forge? Any numbers or contacts would be greatly appreciated! TIA!
Dr69er
Link To This Post
Posted: 4/6/2012 5:24:32 PM
[Last Edit: 4/6/2012 5:35:49 PM by Dr69er]
Originally Posted By AgentTikki:
Hey guys, a bunch of guys and myself are interesting in doing a group buy on some raw forgings. It is possible to buy them directly from the forge? Any numbers or contacts would be greatly appreciated! TIA!

I can try and source a contact or two regarding raw forgings for both DPMS LR-308 and AR-10 pattern raw forgings...
Be fore-warned that the 0% forgings are very time consuming and requires a X3 or larger mill and perferbly
w/ a 3 Axis DRO and the tools/bits/endmills needed are considerable.

The 80% forgings/billet CNC's are the way to go IMHO, unless you want the challenge of a 0% forging..

illirianengineering@yahoo.com

http://illirianengineeringc.ipage.com/
USMC2147
Military
Link To This Post
Posted: 4/6/2012 5:29:09 PM

DSA has them:

Lower

Flat Top Upper

A2 Upper
"God Loves Marines....... Because They Kill Everything They See" R. Lee Ermy - Full Metal Jacket

Si Vis Pacem Para Bellum - "If You Wish For Peace; Prepare For War"
AgentTikki
Link To This Post
Posted: 4/6/2012 7:55:01 PM
Thx for the leads guys!

Have any of year of Brass Aluminum Forgings?
http://www.baforging.com/

Any opinions of the quality?
AgentTikki
Link To This Post
Posted: 4/6/2012 7:58:33 PM
Originally Posted By Dr69er:

I can try and source a contact or two regarding raw forgings for both DPMS LR-308 and AR-10 pattern raw forgings...
Be fore-warned that the 0% forgings are very time consuming and requires a X3 or larger mill and perferbly
w/ a 3 Axis DRO and the tools/bits/endmills needed are considerable.

The 80% forgings/billet CNC's are the way to go IMHO, unless you want the challenge of a 0% forging..

illirianengineering@yahoo.com

http://illirianengineeringc.ipage.com/

Thanks for the offer. I didn't mention that I needed an AR15 pattern, my mistake. And thank for the heads up on the 0% info!

Much appreciated! :D
Elwood_Blues
Link To This Post
Posted: 4/6/2012 11:29:32 PM
Oh yes. I bought a case of ~100 or so from Anchor Harvey (?) - the "A" logo, grey and blue letterhead for about 15bucks apiece about 10 years ago. There are greater discounts if you buy by the pallet.

I'm sure other companies who own dies will do the same. That is part of the problem. Some of the really cool forgings are made on proprietary dies and not owned by the forging companies.